Promise

The Mask They Wear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shin Hye went inside the house. She was looking for her father. “Have you seen my Appa?” she asked the maid and said that he is inside the library. She followed him and said “Appa, can we talk?”

“Appa, how long have you known Minho and his family?” she asked. “I’ve know his dad since we were in college. He was the typical rich guy, having a poor side kick. That was me, the side kick. I always hang out with him and his other friends. Because they were rich and powerful. But at the course of our friendship, his father talked to me and said to me truthfully that I cannot be like this forever. Like a leech feeding on someone else. So through his family, they employed me and even given me a scholarship program. From then one, I was trained by then the Old Chairman Lee. Soon enough, when I have all the experience, they entrusted me to handle a company then I decided to set up my own. From then all, everything was just hard work” said his dad.

“Shin hye, I am not against Geun Suk because he was poor. I am also poor myself but I know he’s not good enough for you. I don’t see ambition in his eyes. He is contented with what he got. You were not born as an ordinary person. You’re my one and only daughter. Everything will go to you. All of these, everything I worked for. But knowing him, I don’t think he is good enough for you” said her dad.

“Appa, now that Geun Suk is equally rich and successful, does he stand a chance already? If in case he asked your blessing, will you give it to him?” she asked.

Then her father was silent. He looked at her and said “Would you want me to? To give my blessing to you and Geun Suk?”.

“Appa, I am confused now. I don’t know what to think anymore” said Shin Hye.

“If that’s the case, I’ll stand by my decision and that is choosing Lee Min ho. I know this kid for a long time. Whenever I visit US, I had a chance to talk to him. He has a great business sense even at a young age and even when you’re young, he likes you a lot. I always send your pictures to him. He always ask me how you were. At that time, he was concentrating on his studies. He wants to meet you but Chairman Lee restrained him. Get to know him first. He is a good person, Shin Hye, and I will be happy to hand you over to him” said her dad.

“Appa, are you giving me away just like that?” she said,

“No, I am not giving away my daughter but I am after her happiness. I want to give her all the happiness she deserves and I know Minho is one source of that happiness” said Chairman Park.

Shin Hye hugged her dad “ I love you, Appa” and then her dad said “Thank you for understanding me, Shin Hye. I love you too”.

In her room, Shin Hye was remembering their kiss at the parking lot. Her personal maid was there. Shin Hye was smiling. “Agassi is in a good mood tonight. Is there something special that happened?” she asked. “Ahjumma, I think I’m beginning to like him” she said. “Agassi, take time to know him. It will not hurt to take things slow” she reminded Shin Hye.

“Ahjumma, he will fetch me by 7am tomorrow so I need to wake up early. Please wake me up at 5am and help me choose a perfect dress. Can you also prepare lunch kit for us.  2 separate kits. Kimbap and egg rolls will be fine” said Shin Hye.

“Ok Agassi. I will do that. But this time, you should be sleeping by now” and then she closed the lights and went outside her room.

Shin Hye’s phone beeped. There was a message from Lee Min ho

LMH : Let’s give it a try, Shin Hye. Taking things slow, getting to know each other.

PSH : Ok. So let’s defer the engagement until we get to know each other better.

LMH : Are you out of your mind? No, it has been agreed upon.

PSH : What if after getting to know each other, I found out that I cannot really like you. That I still like Geun Suk

Lee Min ho didn’t replied. Shin Hye was waiting. She said to herself “Stupid girl. Ruining the moment ! What if he didn’t reply at all. You’re so stupid Shin Hye” and then she buried her face in her pillow.

Few minutes later, he replied.

LMH : It took me awhile to answer that. But I won’t give you any reason not to like me. And I will vouch that in less than a month’s time, you will give in. I will treat you so right, that you cannot wait for us to get married and you cannot even bare to be apart from me.

Shin Hye smiled with his text. So full of confidence. But deep inside her, her heart was fluttering.

LMH : You better sleep. Remember, I am fetching you tomorrow. I don’t want to be kept waiting. See you and  dream of me.

PSH : See you tomorrow. Sweet dreams

Lee Min ho smiled. Not bad as he expected. He is loving every minute of it. Courting her, getting to know her, wooing her until she said yes.  “ I really love this girl” he said to himself.

The following day, Shin Hye woke up at 4am. She immediately went to the kitchen and found their cooks doing kimbap already. “Can I help ?” she asked. The cooks looked at each other and nodded. They rolled already the kimbap and it was Shin Hye who will cut into pieces. “Agassi is doing a good job “said one of the cooks. Shin hye smiled at them. However, Shin Hye cried. Her finger was cut. It was bleeding and she immediately

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter