Chapter 2

Inspirations

Seoul, May 2011
Another day in practice room. This may seem easy to play music on the outside, but the truth is that it needs a lot of effort to master even single song.
Jonghoon, as a leader gave a sign to begin. In small room music begins. Leader's and Seughyun's guiatrs match perfectly with Jaejin's bass. Soon Minhwan starts to make out a sound from his drums. Now it's time for the voice.
Hongki starts with soft verse. After it, a harder chorus begins. Then his voice suddenly cracks.
He cleared his throat but it still wasn't ok. Water did'n helped either.
He looked with sad eyes at the other members and said quietly:-
-Sorry, I don't think I can make this today.
-Hyung, are you really ok? - maknae Seunghyun asked – Maybe you need some medicine? Or should I call a doctor? Or maybe we'll take you to the hospital? Don't you really need anything?
-Seunghyun, stop overreacting – said a little irrtated Jaejin, while putting his hand on maknae's arm – Hongki must be just tired. You know, that his recent schedule was packed.
-Jaejin is right – said Hongki – I just need to have a rest for a day. You should practice without me for today.
-Ok, ok. Go and rest. Your voice is important – leader agreed, nodding his head.
While Hongki was walking out Seunghyun screamed:
-Hyung, call me if you need anything!
When vocalist closed the door after him, maknae asked other members with killer smile:
-If Hongki is not here today can I sing his parts then?

Hongki bought himself hot coffe in coffe machine and walked to the lift. He pushed the button with sign „Roof”. When the lift reached it's point he walked off and went to the edge of the roof.
The view was breathtaking. From up there everything seemed so small and not important.
Beign on hight places calms him down. It wasn't like that before. Before that time...

Flashback
-Sorry, but we can't take you in. Even through we like your voice we have a rule that a band member should be ad least 178cm (authors note – I don't really remember how much was it. Someone correct me) tall so you are too short. Maybe you shold try after growing a little.
-Oh c'mon. I won't grow that much. Does this few centimeters really matter? - Hongki said with anger and sadness in his voice at the same time.
-It's rule, we cannot change it – the answer was heartless.
Without any hope Hongki walked off the buliding. Passing this audience was his dream for ages. He wanted this to the point that he haven't got any other plan for his life. This rejection was like the end of the world for him.
Wandering aimlessly he get to the one of the higest bulidings around – some hotel. He looked up and thought for a second. Then he made his decision and walked in. He passed the corridor, with his empty eyes watching people around him – some tourists, smiling couple in their own world, old woman taking care of a child. They were all so happy, that he felt even more lonely. For a second his eyes catched someone's stare, but he was too depressed to even notice, who it was.
He went to the lift, which took him to the rooftop.
Cool evening breeze didn't make him feel better. He walked to the edge of the roof and though to himself:
-It'll be better to end it. No more shame, no more pain, no more sadness – he evaluated while putting his leg above the rail.
-What the heck do you think your're doing?! - someone screamed while pulling him back.
They both fallen to the floor. While getting up Hongki noticed that this person is a girl, with long, dyied black hair with too long fringe, wearing a glasses. She was somehow foreign-looking but it was hard to catch why.
-You wanted to do the most selfish thing in the world – she uttered, pulling his t-shirt.
-Ok, ok I won't try this anymore – Hongki raised his hands – So can you please let go of my clothes?
-Ah, sorry – girl let him go – But I will stay with you until I make sure that what you said is true. Can I ask what made you act like this?
-Why should I tell you? – Hongki nettled – I don't know you.
-Ok, calm down. I just know from experience thet it helps sometimes to talk with stranger – girl answered – So how about it?
Hongki put his head down and whispered:
-I'm too short...
-What? - the girl wasn't sure what he said.
-I said I'm too short.
He looked up at him:
-You're pretty tall in my eyes.
-But you are short.
-See, there are people shorter then you.
-Ayo, that's not the point. I'm to short to achieve my dream.
-What dream?
-I didn't passed to be in band becouse of my shortness.
-Ah, these crazy rules. You know, heigh does not really matter if you are good. Are you good? What do you do?
-I sing. I don't know if it's good.
-May I hear a sample then?
Hongki nodded and started to sing the same song as during the audience. When he finished girl clapped her hands and said:
-You're really good. Those rules about height are crazy.
-But it won't change the fact that they don't want me.
-The world does not ends with them, you know. I know the bands where members are 160cm tall and it's okay, music is most important.
Honki sighted. Girl walked closer to the edge of the roof, watching as the city lights illuminate in the dark.
-You know what? - she turned her face to the boy and smiled – I have an idea.
Hongki looked at her with question in his eyes.
-Come here – he stepped to here side – See this bulidings below? There're a lot of people there, right? Do you know that right now you're taller than them?
Hongki blinkend his eyes suddenly realizes.
-And you are taller than me to. The person height is not about centimeters. It's about the point of view. You should just keep singing until the day it will make all this people who refused you be shorter than you.
Boy stared into the night lights, thinking about her words.
-Can I hear your song once again then? - she asked.
He just smiled and started to sing on the top of his lungs. She closed her eyes to better concentrate on his voice.
When he finished they just looked at each other smiling. Suddenly her phone ringed. She answered it and said few words in some foreign language.
-Sorry, I need to go now. I wish you to become great musican in future – she said and runned off before he managed to stop her.
Hongki chased after her, but he lost her track in corridor full of tourists.
He hopellesly hitted the wall with his fist, mad at himself for not asking anything about her – even a name. The only track that he had was her eyes – behind these fringe and glasses they' were light blue.
End of flashback


-I hope I will meet you again for you to see, how great musican I became – Hongki whispered looking at the starry sky.
-What are you doing up here? - Jonghoon asked walking from the lift – Is your voice better?
-Yeah it is. -Hongki answered – I'm thinking about past right now. And future too somehow.
-We came throught a lot, didn't we?
-Yes, we did.

Poland, May 2011
Hana sitted in front of empty, white canvas, holding a pallet in left hand. In her right hand was a brush. She unconsciously bounced her lips with it.
Songs from the cd player were her only friends right now.
One track ended, the another one begined. This one made her smile. She started to like very much the band that she picked for her father.
Suddenly an idea for a paiting crossed her mind – she took some red piant from pallete and started to over the canvas.
After few hours the painting was finished – a single red rose lying on piano keys.
She cleaned her hands while her phone ringed.
-Hi dad – she took the dial – What's up?
-I'm calling to ask you few questions. You liked the time you spent in Korea back when you were in high school, right?
-It wasn't bad, why?
-Would you want go go there with me after graduation?
-I don't mind. It might be fun.
-Good then. - he finished the call without even saying goodbye.
-Ah. He is about secrets and suprises lately – she told to herself. - I wonder, what's he up to.

 

Here is the part that came true afterneath - some time after I wrote this HK tweeted Ï will sing above their heads". Sounds kinda familiar...

And few days after HK has sore throat....