Tiffany's Secret

Tiffany's Secret

Chapter 42

 

He stared at her as she took in a deep breath with her head tilted up. Though the weather was warmer than usual in the winter, her face was pale. His worries were digging deeper. Her limited time was on the verge of collapsing.

 

As she began to move, he quickly grabbed her arm, giving her the support, “Be careful.”

 

She looked up at him, eyes wide opened, “I’m strong enough, Jae Oppa.”

 

He gave a small grimace as she looked away, “Are you sure you don’t want to go back? We have been walking for three miles now.” He waved a bottle of water in front of her face, “Thirsty?”

 

She lightly shook her head, “I’m perfectly fine. Besides, you did say that walking would make me feel better. One more mile & then we’ll turn back.”

 

“Are you sure the nurse won’t fuss again? I took you out last week & she was terrified when we came back at a late hour. I mean, she looks…”

 

“I’m sure, Oppa.” She peeked up at him, “Just one more mile.” A thin smile on his lips, he gave her a small nod & continued to walk, holding onto her arm. She began to hum, swinging her freed arm back & forth, “Do you have any gum?”

 

He looked down at her, brows furrowed, “I do but you can’t have any.”

 

Eyes wide opened again, Tiffany looked up at him with a troubled face, “Why not?”

 

“It’s sweet & you can’t have any sweets.”

 

“But my breath stinks.”

 

Jaejoong raised a brow, “Well, in that case, here.” He took out a piece of peppermint, unwrapped it for her with one hand, bent the gum into three folds & held it near , “Open.” As she did so, he popped the piece into . She laughed. He stared at her, “What’s so funny?”

 

“Nothing.” She gave him a nod, “But thanks for the sweet. I hadn’t tasted anything better.”

 

The corner of his mouth tilted up, “I was really worried about your breath, Fany.”

 

“I know.” As she blew a small bubble, tilting her chin up at him & through it, she murmured, “Are you not going back yet?”

 

“No.” He answered indifferently, a sigh escaping him.

 

“What about Yoona?”

 

“What about her?”

 

She turned her head & looked up at him. He felt her gaze on him but it was obvious of what she was going to say, “You aren’t going to her funeral?”

 

“I sent my regards to her parents. That was enough.”

 

“But you’re her husband.”

 

The muscle in his jaw tightened. Unable to speak for a moment, he took in a deep breath & let it out easily.

 

“I never was.” He closed his eyes briefly, “Let’s not talk about this, shall we? Ready to turn back?” As he was about to make a u-turn, she stopped him & continued walking, “Fany.”

 

“Let’s walk to that bridge.” He looked towards the spot where she was pointing. It was the same bridge where he had admitted his love to her & where she had rejected him. His gazed dropped back down to her excited face, “I want to skip some rocks.” She looked like a kid again, ready to beat up whoever tries to stop her from getting anything she wants, “Come on.” She urged, half dragging him with all of her strength.

 

As they reached the bridge, she picked up a flat rock, examined its shape & then skipped the rock across the water five times. He raised his brows, impressed but yet, thinking that he could have done better, “Only five?” “& you can do better?”

 

Jaejoong smiled, “Watch the pro, brat!” She made a face at the name. He bent down, squinted his eyes & began looking for his rock, “Ah ha.” He snatched a flat rock, straightened up & held it up to her face, “Watch.” He closed one eye, bit his tongue & skipped the rock, “Five.”

 

Tiffany smiled, “A tie, loser.” As she saw a paddling boat making its way forward, her eyes brightened up, “Whoever skip a rock to touch the bottom of the boat wins.”

 

Jaejoong laughed, bending down to find himself the best rock, “You’re dangerous, woman.”

 

Both snatched their own rocks, positioned themselves & aimed for the boat.

 

Still chuckling, Jaejoong called out, “One! Two! Three!” He skipped his rock higher than hers & not once did it skipped across the water before it hit the man on the boat. His eyes & mouth widened in shock. Quickly, both ducked behind the barrier of the bridge, laughing “Oh, man.”

 

“I can’t believe you. You hit him.”

 

“It was…”

 

“Who hit me on the head?!” They clasped their hands over their mouths, trying to silence themselves from laughing as the man from the paddling boat cried out, “I said who hit me. Come out right now, you little brats! If I get you, I’m going to report you to your parents & I’ll be sure they will give you a paddle on the hide ends. Come out.”

 

“You threw it, Oppa. You stand.” Tiffany whispered, poking him in the ribs.

 

He shook his head, “You’re the one who suggested the idea. If you hadn’t, this would have never happened. It’s your fault. You take the blame.”

 

“You’re the man around here.”

 

“I’m a man, not a confessor.”

 

“Come out right now.” They closed their eyes as the voice came closer from below.

 

“We’ll just sit still than.” Jaejoong whispered.

 

“You little rascals!” The voice appeared to come from below them now. The man then whispered lowly, “Why does this always happen to me? Why? Why?” He seemed to break down onto his boat, crying.

 

Jaejoong turned to look at Tiffany, giving her a questioning look, “What’s up with him?”

 

She laugh, “I think he’s the man Stephanie & I had always been skipping rocks at when we were little but he’s pretty stupid for a blonde to come this way all the time!” She shrugged, trying to hold in the rest of her laughter, “We call him the little whining boat. From the way he acts, I think he has emotional problems. A psychiatrist won’t hurt.” He shook his head, taking off his smokey blue kenneth cole washed denim moto jacket. She raised a brow, “What are you doing?”

 

“Let’s sit here for a while.” Jaejoong spread his jacket onto the pavement of the bridge, sitting down. He patted the spot next to him, “Let’s not get you dirty either.” She smiled, finally taking the spot he offered. Leaning back, he turned to look at the side of her face, “What time does the sun set?”

 

“About eight.” She leaned back along with him.

 

“It’s almost time. We’ve been walking & stopping for almost eight hours now.” He paused as a car passed by, “You must be hungry now because I am.”

 

“Just a little.” Tiffany stretched up, keeping her distance from him. Blowing a final bubble from the peppermint, she took it out, turned around & pressed the sticky gum against the wall of the bridge.

 

Jaejoong frowned, “What are you doing?”

 

Tiffany tilted her head, “It’s my secret to keep & you not to find out why.” Working on her art, she asked, “Do you have a pen?”

 

“No.” She grimaced at his answer & pressed her index finger into the center of the gum. His frown deepened, “You have a lot of secret, don’t you?” His tone of voice came out. The motion of her hand slowed down into a stop. She swallowed, eyes stuck upon the gum. He bit his bottom lips in hesitation, “A penny for one of your secret, Fany.” He whispered.

 

She dropped her hand, turning to look at him, “It wouldn’t be a secret anymore if I tell you, Oppa.”

 

“That’s what everyone says.” He grunt, “But it’s not worth hiding everything, Fany.”

 

“Sticking gum onto a wall isn’t anything, Oppa.” She said, shaking her head gradually.

 

“There’s something more that you’re hiding. I know.” He could see the hesitation appearing on her now paled face. He reached out to touch her hands, startling her somewhat, “Why did you try to keep it away from me?” He questioned in a whisper, “You know you don’t have many days left.”

 

Her dried lips parted. The silence unraveled around them as a car drove pass. She then breathed out, looking away. His brows furrowed. He tilted her chin towards his way. Looking down, she said, “I don’t know what you mean.”

 

“Stop lying. You know exactly what I mean.” He cupped her chin into the palm of his hands, “Why did you have to keep it away from me? You know I love you, Fany. How much do you want me to suffer after you’re gone?”

 

Tiffany pushed his hands away & stumbled as she tried to get up. He stood up quickly, grabbing her wrist. She jerked his hold away, turning around to look at him, “I really don’t know what you’re talking about, Oppa.” She said, unable to look at him with a stable gaze.

 

“Then why are you acting like this? I’m beginning to hate keeping this in myself, Fany. Do you know how much it hurts to know that you’re not going to be with me forever? You hid it from me even when you know you couldn’t. I don’t want…”

 

“Don’t do this to me, Oppa. Please don’t.”

 

“I…”

 

“No, Oppa. I told you I didn’t want anything to do with you. I told you it wasn’t possible for us to love each other. You wouldn’t listen to me.” She sniffed, wiping the tears on her face away, “I knew I was going to die whether I like it or not.”

 

“But why did you have to leave our love out of this?” He tried to stay calm but the tone of his voice increased by the second, “It wasn’t worth it, Fany.”

 

Tiffany shook her head, “You just don’t understand, Oppa.” She turned around, trying to walk away. Gritting his teeth in frustration, he reached out & grabbed her wrist, pulling her against his chest. Hands locked in between them, she tried to fight against his hold.


“If you think that I don’t understand, tell me.” She shook her head which was buried in her palms. He pressed her closer, leaning his lips near her ear, “You don’t know how much I love you. You don’t know how much it hurts to hear your lying words. You’re killing me along with you, Fany. I want us to experience our love together. I want you to love me.” He closed his eyes. Hearing her sobs made his heart throbbed faster. Taking in a deep breath, he whispered, “Will you marry me?”