Tiffany's Secret

Tiffany's Secret

Chapter 24

 

“You are her sister.” He said, uninterested, looking through the pages clipped on the clipboard. Then he stopped as if he had forgotten something. Scratching the back of his neck, he looked up, “I’m Dr. Bang Taehyun. We had taken a good look at her body system. She has lung cancer. The breathing attack she had three hours ago was caused by chronic bronchitis. Chronic bronchitis is a chronic inflammatory condition in the lungs that causes the respiratory passages to be swollen & irritated & increases the mucus production & damages the lungs. Listed on here, she’s allergic to cigarette smoking. That’s the problem & we gave her a quick drug test. The results were positive. By the look of it, she had been drugged about fifty-eight hours ago. It had infected the tumor more than expected.”

 

Yuri frowned, “You said lung cancer?” He nodded. opened to speak; then closed. She bit her light brownish lips with concern & confusion written all over her face, “No, no, you’re wrong, doctor. She...Her lungs are perfectly healthy. She takes prescriptions from her doctor. I know.”

 

“A second hand smoker, miss. It doesn’t matter how many prescriptions she had taken. Too much smoke had entered her system & the way her body burns over the normal temperature of a human being can bring her more difficulties to her unconsciousness. Right now, she’s resting.”

 

Yuri raised his fist slowly & planted it over . Face paled, she took in a small, shaky breath. Her heart thumbed wildly against her chest. As she opened , Yuri mumbled with uncertainty, “Can she be cure?”

 

“As far as I can tell by now, the disease had long spread throughout her lungs. It’s impossible to implant flesh lungs inside of her. Taking out the lungs she has now will only kill her. Being a second hand smoker can even be more dangerous than a smoker. People who don't smoke but are exposed to second-hand smoke, absorb nicotine & other chemicals just as someone who smokes does. To prevent bronchitis, she can stop inhaling cigarette smoke but we can’t do anything about the cancer. What we can do now is just wait. The approximate time she had left is three months. Hospitals don’t interfere with family problems. The decision to tell her is all yours. You can go in now. If you have any further questions, I will be on this level.”

 

She nodded her head, “Thank you, doctor.” He gave her a small smile & walked away, leaving the echoes of his footsteps behind. Yuri held her forehead, closing her eyes. Devastation. She cleared , straightening herself up. Strong, the physical description Tiffany had always used. No tears, none. She took in a deep breath, walked forward & opened the door. A chill climbed down her back. The coldness. Good lord.

 

Taking a step in, Yuri closed the door behind her. She stared at the body lying on the bed. Tubes were in her arms. An oxygen mask was strapped around . Yuri placed her palm over & walked forward. Trembling, she reached over to grab the wooden chair & set it near the bedside. She sat down, grabbing Tiffany’s hands as her eyes closed.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me anything, Ti? I could have helped you.”

 

Jaejoong swung the door open. His eyes scanned around the room. Nothing. He cursed under his breath & turned around just to stop abruptly. His brows narrowed. Averting slowly with curiosity, his eyes landed on the accessories lying on the floor. He moved forward slowly, taking careful caution. Kneeling down, he picked up her brush. A flush of wind tickled his ear. He angled his head, staring at the open window.

 

Panic. Jaejoong immediately stood up & walked over to the window. He pushed the flying curtains away, looking down at the wet sand. He can see footprints walking forward & then back, “Dammit!” He raked his hair back, turned around & walked out of the room with frustration, “Where the hell are you?!”

 

“Looking for Tiffany.”

 

His ear twitched but he continued walking down the hall. Her footsteps were heard following him. He scolded, “Don’t bother me now, Yoona!”

 

“I’m just trying to help you out, honey.”

 

“Then leave me alone.” Jaejoong stopped, averting. Yoona smiled, coming to a short stop in front of him. He tilted his head. A challenge again, “Why would you want to help me?” His eyes narrowed at her as her smile widened.

 

“Yesterday you said you wanted my help, didn’t you?” Yoona remarked, pointing out her reason. Jaejoong raised an eyebrow quizzically. She her bottom pinkish orange lips, “I’ll help you. It’s not because I want to; I just don’t want to face prison at my young age, even though I’m not involve in Stephanie’s death.”

 

“Wrong, you were.”

 

Yoona scold, “I weren’t! I’ll make a deal with you, Jae Oppa. If I help you, then you let me go free. It’s not a hard bargain.”

 

“& I thought that you weren’t involve in my wife’s death.” He grunt as she drew back slightly, “This is one of your tricks, Yoona, isn’t it? You’ve got to try better. Even if you help me, I’m still going to turn you in after getting Kyuhyun. Why not now?” He grunt again, “I’m just being nice. Besides, I know you can’t turn for help from anyone, not even Kyuhyun. He would rather kill you than get into more trouble. I’ll see you later & if you do run away, trust me, woman, I’ll find you.”

 

Jaejoong turned around. A shriek was heard; then he was jerked around to the side. He closed his eyes briefly in irritation.

 

“Please just listen to me, Oppa. Please. I really don’t want to go to prison. I can help you. I’m your wife.”

 

“I don’t think that matters now. We had been sleeping in separate bedrooms & it wasn’t my pleadings. It was yours. By the way, don’t forget the reasoned why I married you. I passed out on our wedding day too, meaning I didn’t hear your I do.” Her eyes widened, “Our marriage isn’t official to me, even though it is on paper. Don’t worry, you’re a beautiful woman. You can always get another husband.”

 

Jaejoong squinted his eyes as she shrieked again. He jerked as she clung onto his sleeves, “I know you’re trying to get me mad, Oppa, but you have to believe me. I can help you. I don’t care if you don’t love me. I’ve been humiliated by Kyu Oppa too many times & getting him in jail would make my life happier. Please, Oppa, you just have to believe me. I can help you.”

 

“Then why did you ignored my request earlier?”

 

Yoona shrugged uselessly, “Because you didn’t even give me time to think it over.”

 

He raised his arm & dropped it down helplessly, “Honey, I don’t think you even needed to think it over. If I were in your situation, I would have agreed earlier. You’re up to something; it’s not helping you out much. I’m a businessman who deals with computers & sells stock.”

 

She let out an angry breath, “You’re going to regret this, Oppa. I agree to help & yet, you refused after asking me.”

 

“Let me tell you this, sweetheart. It’s not the best to come to an agreement with a person who refused you first & then come running after you. It’s business. You should have known that. Goodbye, Yoona.” He turned around & started to walk away.

 

“Then you don’t want to know where Tiffany is?”

 

Jaejoong stopped. He stared down at the floor. Damn, damn, damn! The woman just wouldn’t stop getting into people’s business. He exhaled hesitantly through his nose & raised his head. Tiffany was nowhere around the building or the house nor was she around anywhere in town that he had checked. She would have called to ask for a sick day & he was only concern about her to come back & check. The only place she should be now was in bed sick, “Where is she?”

 

“Do we have a deal first?”

 

He closed his eyes, “Dammit, Yoona, she’s sick!” He can feel the heat coming out of her ear, ‘Wrong turn there.’ He mumbled to himself.

 

“So, you care more about some than your?!” Her words came to a stop as she was jerked into his hold & pushed against the wall. She gasped with eyes wide opened. He leaned his face in closer to hers, eyes so sharp, “Pardon my ears, Yoona!” He snarled, through his teeth, “But what did you just say?” He tilted his head to the side, “I want my answer now.”

 

She trembled under his hold & said calmly, “You just seem to care more about your late wife’s sister than me.” Jaejoong edged away from her, his eyes still quizzically staring into hers. He dropped his hands, “No, I don’t care about her. You’re wrong there.” He turned away quickly, afraid to show his real confession but the look on her face gave him notice that it was too late. As she laughed quietly, he flinched slightly. Curse him.

 

“It doesn’t do you good to hide your feelings, Oppa. I know that you don’t love me & it doesn’t hurt my feelings at all that you like her.” She grunt quietly, “She’s with Kyu Oppa. You’ll be sorry, Oppa. You will.” Silence, then she walked pass him. His fist balled up. He glared at her. His breathing growing heavier. She turned & disappeared, “ it!” His uncontrollable fist hit the wall, causing it to crack, “!” He jerked, both hands by his side & his head hanging down.

 

He failed. He had finally put her life in danger after trying so damn hard to not make her a part of his trouble! She knew nothing & how was he going to stop her from seeing him? A stubborn heart will always stay stubborn. Kyuhyun will use her & he himself was the one whom had caused it.

 

She was sick. She was supposed to be lying in bed. She wasn’t supposed to be seeing him. God damnit! He brushed his hair back. Damn the woman! Can she not listen to him once? Can she not obey him for the good? What was so hard about that? Not only did he put her life in danger but also, she herself placed her body in it, “Stubborn brat!” Jaejoong mumbled, under his breath.

 

He took a small glance at the hole on the wall & walked away. Damn the anger, too! When had she escaped down that window? No clue, none. He sighed in exhaustion, descending down the stairs. Voices came from the other room as he opened the front door. Daeho & Chohee was arguing again, & for sure, the teenage girl always wins.

 

Jaejoong placed his shades on, walked to his car & pulled out of the driveway. She had placed herself into Kyuhyun’s trap & it was her own responsibility to get herself out of it. He had always told her to stay away from the man. The fault was her own. Jaejoong grunt. He had his own job to attend & he wasn’t going to let the quilt lay on him this time.

 

Looking from right to left, he gritted his teeth & stepped on the gas.