First Man

The Vampire Skool Luv Affair

When Taehyung woke from his frightening nightmare, his first reaction was to look for Soojin. He found Soojin in the backyard of the house and decided to approach to her but he remembered what he did the day before and stopped. He smiled and made another decision. “Hey Soojin.”

Soojin turned and smiled at him. “You ok?” she asked and patted Taehyung’s head. She didn’t know why she did that, she just felt that it was the right thing to do.

Taehyung couldn’t help but held her hand and placed it on his cheek. “Why are you doing this to me?”

Soojin didn’t get it. She furrowed her eyebrows but caressed Taehyung’s cheek anyway. “I don’t get it.”

Taehyung bit his lips to prevent himself from spilling the beans. He closed his eyes that were b with tears and ran away after letting Soojin’s hand go.

Soojin stared at the spot where Taehyung was standing before. She closed her eyes as a melancholic memory was rummaging her mind.

“I need to hide you here Soojin, I can’t let him find you. I really can’t. Stay quiet ok? I will be back.” Taehyung said and hid Soojin in the flowerbeds of roses.

Taehyung never thought the flowerbeds would end up being the hiding spot for Soojin. His heart ached so badly but protecting Soojin was the most important thing.

“Will you really be back? You won’t leave me right?” Soojin asked and her hands were shaking terribly.

Taehyung nodded and gave her a kiss on her forehead. “Don’t make any sound. Ok?”

Soojin opened her eyes in horror and rushed back to her room. She slammed the door hard and knelt down on the floor. “When did that happen? I don’t remember Taehyung at all. What is happening?” She asked to herself and grabbed her hair in frustration. At this time, a knock came from the door and she heard a familiar voice.

“Hey, you ok?”

Soojin rubbed her tears away and opened the door. She sobbed and looked at the person that was standing right outside of her room. “Suga?”

“Do you think, I’m allowed to come in?” he asked and looked away, he was blushing.

Soojin sobbed again and held the door wider. “Sure, come in.”

 Suga walked in and sat on her bed. He kept his mouth shut and refused to look at her.

After Soojin managed to stop herself from sobbing, she sat on the floor, right in front of Suga and and looked at him sternly. “Are you going to just sit there on my bed and do nothing else? I think you owe me an explanation.”

Finally, Suga gathered enough courage to look at her. “I need to be with you.”

Soojin’s jaw dropped and stared at him like he was a model.

“What do you mean?”

“The birthmarks on my arms, they keep glowing. It’s a sign. I need to be with you, to protect you, until everything’s settled.”

Soojin took in all the words carefully and made sure she didn’t hear it wrongly.

“Ok…so that means, we need to live under the same roof?” Soojin worded her sentence carefully and waited for Suga’s reply.

Suga bit his lips and nodded. Why am I the only one affected? Doesn’t she feel embarrassed when a guy says things like that to her?

Soojin didn’t know how to react. She knew she could trust on Suga since even the Principal thought of him as important as well. Hoseok ah…I want to talk to you right now…

Suga sighed exasperatedly when he knew what Soojin was thinking. “Go and talk to him, if it’s necessary. Everyone knows how important he is to you.”

“Uh…you’ll be staying here then?” Soojin asked. She wasn’t even mad at Suga for reading her mind.

“I’ll send you there. Someone might attack you if you go there alone. I will come and fetch you by…” Suga looked at his watch and calculated the number of hours he should give her. “by 7PM.”

Well, that’s long enough. Great! Soojin thought and stood up straight. Suga got up from her bed too and they set off to Hoseok’s house after that.

 

15 minutes later, they arrived in front of Hoseok’s house. Soojin looked at her house that wasn’t too far away from Hoseok’s. Her heart cringed and she turned away to prevent herself from crying. Suga saw everything and put his arm around her shoulder. “Don’t worry, we’ll send you home once everything’s settled.”

Soojin nodded and rubbed her eyes. She didn’t want anyone to see her cry, not Suga, not Hoseok, not anyone.

She knocked the front door of Hoseok’s house and was immediately greeted by his mother.

“Why, if it isn’t Mr. Shim’s daughter!” She said and smiled at Soojin brightly.

“I’ll leave now.” Suga whispered to Soojin and within a second, he was gone.

“Good afternoon Mrs. Jung. Is Hoseok home?” Soojin bowed and asked politely.

“Oh...He is. Come on in.” Mrs. Jung let Soojin in and made her sit on the sofa. She sat down opposite to her and smiled again. “Hoseok…he is sick.”

Soojin just stared at her blankly. Vampires get sick too…?

Mrs. Jung read Soojin’s mind and smiled apologetically. “Yes my dear, we get sick too. Although we don’t have that much sickness that can kill us as much as the human, we do have sickness that we feared off. And my dear, the sickness that vampire hates the most is fever.”

“Fever…?” Soojin asked and tried to not sound like she didn’t believe her.

“Yes. We do have temperatures too. It’s just that, not all humans can feel them. Only the selected few.”

Soojin tried to let the words sink in but failed unexpectedly. “Meaning…?”

“I don’t know how to explain you my dear. But I don’t think I will allow you to see Hoseok today. He’s having fever, and…he could do things that he usually wouldn’t do.”

Mrs. Jung knew that Soojin was still new to all this vampire facts and decided to not tell her more, in case she got scared and distant herself from her dear son. She knew better than anyone else that her son was madly in love with her.

“Like what…?” Soojin asked. She needed to know. She wanted to know what he would do to her, she wanted to let Hoseok know that she trusted him to even meet him even though she knew he was having a fever.

Mrs. Jung read her mind again and hesitated. This girl…she’s so different. Maybe…I should give it a try. She might be able to save my son.

“First of all, fever kills vampire easily, even easier than killing human. Fever makes Vampire more vulnerable and unable to think properly. He might…he might even want to drink your blood.”

Mrs. Jung explained and her voice dropped at the last sentence.

Soojin clenched her fists. “What would happen to him if he drinks my blood?”

Mrs. Jung eyes widened in surprise, she didn’t expect this. “He would heal of course, but you will become weak.”

Soojin closed her eyes and thought of how Hoseok always protected her and stayed by her side whenever he could. “Let me see him, please.” She begged and bit her lower lip. She was determined that no matter what, she needed to see him; she needed to know that he will be alright and he would go to school with her again.

Mrs. Jung felt a mix of emotions. She was happy that this human girl was willing to sacrifice herself for her son, and yet she felt sorry for having to do this. “All right, his room is just upstairs, first to the left.” She said and left for the kitchen. “Will you be staying for dinner?” she asked before turning her back on Soojin.

“Yes.” Soojin answered and smiled.

 

When Mrs. Jung’s figure disappeared into the kitchen, Soojin immediately advanced upstairs and headed to Hoseok’s room.

She stood in front of the room and inhaled deeply before knocking the door.

“Hoseok ah…?”

On the other side of the door, Hoseok was lying on his bed, weak and surprised. “Is that Soojin’s voice? Surpise, she stopped using the honorific pronoun.” he asked to himself. “Come in.” he said, he was so weak, he couldn’t even get off his bed.

Soojin opened the door and closed it carefully and quietly. “Hey…” she greeted and walked up to his bed. “Can I have a sit?”

Hoseok was wearing a white turtle neck shirt with long sleeves and a pair of denim jeans. He smiled weakly and nodded. His blanket was only covering up till his knees, he was hugging his teddy bear and his face was pale.

Soojin’s heart ached so badly, having to see Hoseok like this. If anything, she wanted to just lie beside him and stay with him all day long.

“Why are you here? It’s dangerous you know, to visit a vampire when he’s having a fever.” Hoseok joked and laughed weakly.

“…Do you…need blood?” Soojin asked, without thinking too much. It just happened to be in her mind and she decided, if his answer was yes, she was going to volunteer to be his ‘food’ for today.

Hoseok’s eyes were slowly becoming red, but after a while, they went back to normal. “Don’t do this, I’m not worth it.”

Soojin held her hair and placed it on the other side of her neck. “But I can save you, and I want to save you.”

“Do you know what happens if I drink your blood?” Hoseok asked, his heart was already urging him to launch on her neck.

“I’ll become weaker.”

“And we’ll be soulmate for the rest of our lives.”

Both of them remained silent. Soojin’s eyes were b with tears suddenly. “Don’t you want it?”

“I don’t want to force you.” Hoseok replied and looked away. He wanted this more than anything, but he was honest about his feelings, he didn’t want to force her. But he knew better than anyone, he wasn’t going to be the only soulmate that she was going to have. He just didn’t want to make Soojin feel like she was cheated.

“You’re not forcing me, I volunteer.” Soojin replied and the tears that were threatening to fall were already dripping on Hoseok’s bed.  

Hoseok moved closer to Soojin and he put his hands on both of Soojin’s shoulders. “Are you sure about this?”

Soojin nodded and closed her eyes. She knew very well she wanted this more than anything else.

Hoseok caressed her cheek and he sniffed Soojin’s vein on her neck and his fangs protruded out of his gum. Slowly, he sank his fangs into Soojin’s neck. Hoseok felt better instantly the moment he tasted her blood. It was the sweetest blood he had ever tasted, it was heavenly. 

The moment Hoseok’s fangs sunk into Soojin's skin, she felt the sting and hugged Hoseok tightly. It was the only thing that she could do to distract her from the pain. She felt weaker and weaker as the seconds ticked away. Finally, couldn’t hold it any longer, she fainted.

Hoseok immediately stopped drinking her blood and placed her on his bed. He hurriedly took a piece of towel from his closet and covered Soojin’s neck to prevent the blood from dripping out. Soojin couldn’t afford to lose more blood than she already had.

He caressed Soojin’s face and smiled at her. “I never knew I was going to be the first man to taste your blood…” he whispered and gave her forehead a peck. He lay next to her, making Soojin sleep on his chest. Let’s just stay like this for tonight.