A Dream Undone

Of Airplanes, Lists and Break-ups

Chapter 69

"KRIS IS DATING KYUNGSOO!"

An out of breath Joonmyun came running to TCA's usual table at the school's cafeteria, screaming bloody murder.

"So? What else is new?"

Luhan indifferently waved his hand at the stupid expression plastered on the rich guy's face.

"You knew?!"
"They've been lusting after each other since forever. Wasn't it obvious?"
"NO!"

Everyone at the table had voiced out their surprise at Luhan's statement. Really? Was he the only one who'd noticed?

"Are you serious? They're really going out? You sure it's not just Sehun pulling one of his pranks on you?"

Lay asked dumbfounded.

"No I'm dead serious! Kris told me so himself!"
"No way!"
"Yes! I called him Saturday and he literally told me he was going on a date... with his boyfriend!"
"Boyfriend?"
"Yes! I distinctly remember this because I thought it had just been a slip of the tongue but no. He really meant to say boyfriend. And then he just hung up on me when he'd said who. Kyungsoo! Guys! Kris is gay!"

"So what?"

Luhan gave the loud man an annoyed slap on the bottom. He'd seen it coming for a while now. That... and Minseok telling him about the couple's coming-out speech at the cafe. They were an odd couple but Luhan was happy for them. Coming to turns with ones uality was bloody difficult. He should know. His life hadn't exactly been a bed of roses but he regretted nothing.
Least of all.
Jongdae.   

Luhan found himself growing fonder of his dino every single day. So much that he had started wondering why he hadn't fallen for him sooner. Of course there had been the whole 'Minseokie is mine' situation and... Luhan hating Jongdae's gut for clinging to Minseok as well but overall... had it not been for Minseok then... Although... Had it not been for him, Luhan wouldn't have gotten to know Jongdae...

Sometimes it was strange having a boyfriend.
Sometimes plain awkward.
But more times than not, Luhan found it to be one of best things in the world.
It wasn't easy being Jongdae's boyfriend but Luhan was slowly getting used to it. Jongdae was devoted, romantic and über, über cute.
He was also jealous as .
Whenever they went out and they were unfortunate enough to run into one of Luhan's earlier conquests or flirts, Jongdae had the tendency to blow everything out of proportion. He would either ignore Luhan for the remainder of the evening or start picking a fight with him. It was tiresome. Really. But they always kissed and made up later during the night. The only time it hadn't ended as well was when Jongdae had forbid Luhan in seeing his dongsaeng, Sehun. Of course Jongdae knew the two had fooled around in the past and of course it was obvious he didn't like the thought of them hanging out but instead of calmly voicing out his concerns, he had instead out of nowhere, started yelling at Luhan that he could no longer see, and I quote:"That abnormally broad-shouldered, skinny with a tongue too big for his own good." Luhan hadn't really known what to do. He couldn't stop seeing Sehun. He was still a friend and a cute dongsaeng he cared a lot about. Not to forget.. Worried a lot about.
Sehun. Yes. He was the issue of a lot of worries. Not only was he still a kid but he was also the type to constantly get into trouble. Like Luhan. Since falling in love with Jongdae, Luhan had started worrying about Sehun turning into... Well himself. And that was scary enough in itself. But also, Sehun had no interest in the future, deciding it best to live in the presence which was fine. Only what about later in life? Would he keep working at the restaurant? Forever live with a roommate? Never accomplishing anything... that was probably what worried him the most. Sehun had a tendency to leech off of others, of course with his latest victim being Joonmyun, he'd be set for life... but. Was Sehun really not able to  see how inappropriate that would be?
Luhan sighed before taking Jongdae's hand in his, caressing the soft skin.

"Speaking of Kris. Shouldn't he be here by now?"

Lay looked out over the crowded canteen.       

"He's in the honeymoon phase. Kyungsoo and him are probably... Porking like there's no tomorrow."
"Kris isn't like that, remember? He's a ."
"But Kyungsoo is not. Besides, being a , Kris most likely has an insatiable urge to wanna catch up. Right. Jongdae?"

The dino punched his arm pretty hard but it was okay. Luhan was used to it.

"Yeah you two were really creepy. I still have nightmares about the two of you going at it in my bathroom... And then again at new years. I swear, I will never forget the expression on Minseok's face when we walked in on you."

Lay shuddered.

"Doing it in his bed... where he sleeps. That's even worse than doing it where people make number 2."   
"That's easy for you to say! I was the one who had to clean up after them!"

Tao threw a chopstick after Lay, missing him by mere inches.
It was nice seeing Tao all playful and outspoken. He had truly changed for the better since moving in with Lay. He never wore all black anymore, usually going for the more colorful outfit. During the past month he had even taken to dye his hair red. And then green. Then blue... Now it was bleach blond like Kris. It had taken some getting used to but it actually kind of suited the childman.

"We're sorry Tao. But I'm pretty sure we cleaned up after ourselves."
"Pretty sure? So the print I had to wipe off the mirror was what... Art?"

Tao threw the other chopstick at Jongdae who was quick to hide behind Luhan.

"How in the hell was that even possible?!"
"... I'd rather not say."
"Whose was it? Yours? Or Luhan's?"

It was Jongdae's. Don't ask. It was embarrassing enough as it was.
Before Luhan could help his boyfriend by changing the subject into something else, a phone rang.

"Uh. That's me!"

Joonmyun took the call looking all smug since everyone else had wiped out their cells in the belief they were the more popular one.

"Yes hello? Yes this is Kim Joonmyun. Yes... Really? REALLY?!... Really? Thank you... Thank you thank you! Yes I will work hard! Yes. When? I'll... I'll start immediately! Yes sir. Okay sir. Goodbye sir. Bye..."

 Joonmyun looked like he was having a as he ended the call, unable to blink his eyes.

"You. Won't. Believe this.... Guys, I have just been informed that I will perform the piano solo at the anniversary concert next month. Me! Oh my God! I can't, I can't believe it. I gotta.. I gotta go practice I gotta... Oh god. I gotta sit down."

Joonmyun slowly slid into his seat next  to Luhan, hyperventilating.

"Congratulation! But... wasn't Kyungsoo supposed to play the solo? According to Kris, Kyungsoo has done nothing but practice since December."

Luhan nodded at Lay's observation. 

"He dropped out."
"Why?"
"They didn't say. Just that they wanted me to do it instead. So screw him! I'm going practicing! Later es!"

Joonmyun had then bolted up from his seat, frantically running towards the exit yelling 'Out of my way peasants!'  

"Well he's changed."

Luhan could only nod at Jongdae.

"And guess who's to blame."

Yeah.
Sehun.

 

"What do you think you're doing here?"

The last person Kris thought he would ever  see blocking his way to the hospital, was none other than Krystal.
Kris hadn't slept a wink that Sunday, unable to stop wondering why Kyungsoo had sent him away. It had eaten him up all night until finally he hadn't been able to stay away.
First thing Monday and Kris was on the train, nervously picking at his fingernails the entire trip. He had brought a small basket with stuff Kyungsoo liked. Cold drinks, sweets, his Ipod. He had even included a package of Kyungsoo's favorite seaweed.
He had been nervous as hell to face him, to get to know exactly why Kyungsoo wouldn't see him and here was stal, in all her glory, asking why he of all people was there to see his boyfriend.

"I'm here for Kyungsoo. What are you doing here?"
"Same."
"If I'm not mistaken, Kyungsoo broke up with you. He's not your responsibility."  
"Doesn't matter. I'm here for him whether he likes it or not."
"I'm pretty sure he doesn't. Out of my way."

Kris pushed past her, about to enter.

"Do you love him?"

Kris came to a stop.  Hesitating, he turned his head.

"I do."
"Then you should stop."
"I can't."
"If you really love him, you'll leave him alone."
"This has nothing to do with you. So stay out of it."
"It has everything to do with me!"
"He doesn't care about you anymore! When will you get that?!"
"Oh because you think he is in love with you?!"
"I!... Don't know..."

He probably wasn't. Not yet anyway. It made Kris's heart cringe.

"Kyungsoo is confused."

Krystal took his hand and lead him to a bench. Tired and hurt, Kris let her.

"He doesn't know what he's doing. I hurt him. But it is nothing compared to what you are doing to him now."
"I haven't done anything..."
"Kris. Why do you think he was beat up?"
"I don't know? Perhaps it was a gang who..."
"They beat him, because they'd seen you together."

Kris heart stopped beating momentarily. He had tried his best not to take that possibility into account.

"You're saying... This is my fault?"
"Spare him. And yourself from going through all this. This is Korea. We Koreans must follow the norm. But you? You're not from here."

Krystal patted him on the back before getting up.

"Go back to Canada Kris. You don't belong here. Allow Kyungsoo to have a normal life. Here. With  me. We both know that's for the best."

Krystal made to leave but not before yanking the basket out of Kris's hands.

"I'll take that."

With that, the girl her heel, heading inside.
Kris on the other hand... couldn't find the strength to stand. And so he stayed in place, ignoring the cold, the stares and the descending darkness.        


"You're really going to keep ignoring Kyungsoo like this? Baekhyun. It's been like a month. Get over it already."

Chanyeol couldn't believe how immature his friends were being. At each others' throats without Chanyeol knowing why. Again.
He needed new friends.
They were at Baekhyun's place eating take-out together, third day in a row. Baekhyun was having another of his study fits where unless Chanyeol brought him food, the guy would skip meals completely. But seriously. It was Sunday. Who studied on a Sunday?!

"You should have given Kyungsoo that same speech when the tables were turned."

Indifferently the smaller man took another bite of his jjajangmyeon, all the while keeping an eye at the open book next to him.

"Come on Baekie. You went through the same thing. If anyone knows how miserable Kyungsoo is by now it's you. You were like... king of the dumps when he stopped talking to you. Don't you think he's learned his lesson by now?"
"This has nothing to do with petty revenge. Unlike some people I have the maturity to let things go."
"Yeah. You're doing a real good job there. Call Kyungsoo!"
"Shut up."
"Seriously. Baekhyun, you're both adults. Just kiss and make up already... hold that thought."

 Chanyeol's phone rang, effectively interrupting his scolding. Oh. Speak of the Devil..

"Kyungsoo-yah! You're alive! Where've you... Why do you need me to... Can't Krys... Okay fine! I'll do it, stop shouting! Where do you need me to bring your stuff? ... THE HOSPITAL?! Are you okay?!... I'm on my way. Which room? Never mind I'll find out when I get there just. Don't. Die! You hear me?! I've told you once and I'll tell you again! Don't go into the light! Light, is bad. Bad I tell you!"

Kyungsoo had hung up on him with a 'Why are you're so annoying?!' Chanyeol didn't care. He just threw his plate aside and made for the door.

"What happened? Is he okay?"
"I don't know but he's in the hospital so I'm guessing... No!"
"Well... what did he say?"

Baekhyun was quick to follow Chanyeol, putting on his own shoes as well.

"Nothing! He just asked me to bring him some clothes and stuff!"
"What are you yelling for?!"
"I'm scared!"
"Well let's go then!"
"You're coming?!"
"Of course I'm... Just go!"

Getting to Kyungsoo's apartment hadn't been fun. All these different scenarios had kept playing through his mind. Why was Kyungsoo at the hospital?!
Had Krystal poisoned him?
Or maybe the buttload of girls Kyungsoo had slept with had ganged up on him and and and... Cut him! And slit his throat!
... Okay that seemed unlikely. He had called and everything so his head was most likely still attached to his body... but still! What if something terrible had happened to him?!
... Well something terrible must have happened... why else would he be at the hospital...

Having run through campus, the two guys started banging on the apartment door, not even sure whether Kris was home or not.
Luckily, he was.

"KRIS!... Kris?"

It certainly didn't look like him. His hair was black and in a mess. Also he looked like someone in serious need of sleep what with the heavy bags residing under his red eyes. He was wearing black boxers underneath the blanket that swaddled his upper body.  And... was that ice cream stains?

"Kyungsoo isn't here."

Ah. It spoke.

"...He's been hospitalized! Didn't he tell you?!"

There was no response from the man, only a dragged out sigh and the appearance of an ice cream bucket hidden away under the blanket. Taking a big mouthful the guy his heel and entered the apartment.
Chanyeol gave Baekhyun a questioning look before following Kris. He managed to spot Kris a second before he slammed the door to his room, locking the door.

"Wow. What is his problem?"
"Maybe he got tired of Kyungsoo playing him."
"Excuse me?"
"... Kyungsoo! Hospital!"
"Right! What are you waiting for! Aish! Hold on Kyungsoo! We're coming!"

As the two made their way for the hospital, Chanyeol couldn't help but wonder why Kyungsoo hadn't asked his girlfriend to pick up his stuff.
Making up his mind, Chanyeol pulled out his phone and called up the last person he'd ever want to talk to.

"...Krystal?"

 

Kyungsoo lay in bed, staring at the ceiling. Heavy sighing escaped his bruised lips now and then when he couldn't keep from touching his bandaged left arm.
Except for a sprained wrist and a few bruised ribs, Kyungsoo was okay.
Well... physically.
Mentally, not so much.

"Kyungsoo!!!"

Oh great. Maybe he should just have told Chanyeol to leave his bag at the front desk.

"Kyungie! Kyung...Wow. You look. Just. Awful!"

... Yeah. He really should have.
The giant  had busted through the door, throwing himself at Kyungsoo's bed. After poking at his aching ribs, Chanyeol started studying his face down to the last detail, even going as far as checking the clip-board attached to the end of the bed.

"Phew. So you're not dying. That's good."

The silly man put down the clip-board while turning his attention to the open door.

"It's okay Baekhyun! He's gonna live!"

'Baekhyun?'

"Just get in here Baekie! Jeez."

Chanyeol muttered under his breath, taking a seat next to Kyungsoo's bed.

"Have a spine for once."
"I heard that!"

Baekhyun had then run through the door to slap Chanyeol across the back of his head.
Kyungsoo would've laughed at Chanyeol's misfortune had it not been for Baekhyun and his little squabble. The Baekhyun Kyungsoo knew did not know how to be spiteful but... He could still not shake the memory of Baekhyun's disgusted face, his malicious voice. His...

'.'     

Kyungsoo cringed.
He tried turning on his side but pressed against his ribs. A pained groan escaped his lips as the pain paralyzed his body. It hurt. But it was nothing compared to how he had felt being pushed out of Baekhyun's door, out of his life.
He understood now how Baekhyun must've felt when it had been Kyungsoo on the other side of the door.

"Does it hurt?!"

Chanyeol was at his side within seconds, fussing about him.   

"What is he doing here?"
"Baek? Why... He was worried about you! You should've seen him! He was completely out of his mind with worry! I had to calm him down several times because he kept freaking out!"
"That was you!"
"Was not."
"Was too!"

Chanyeol received a small rally of Baekhyun's tiny fists of fury before grabbing the smaller man's arms and effectively ending enemy fire.        

"Baekie! Violence isn't going to help you here. I'm gonna go to the restroom. When I come back I better see the two of you smiling, shaking hands, kissing, I don't care. As long as you end this childish feud, no one's going home with a note... or the loss of hearing, because I will get my guitar and it'll get country up in here real quick!"

That... Was not something Kyungsoo desired to witness. Ever. So he grit his teeth as Chanyeol left to find a bathroom, hoping Baekhyun took the threat just as serious.

Judging from the fidgeting and mumbling, it would seem he did.

"...Such a pain in the..."
"You say something?"
"... Just. Chanyeol being who he is."
"Oh."
"Yeah."

It was getting increasingly uncomfortable inside the small hospital room, neither daring to look at the other.

"Look. Kyungsoo. About what happened... I'm... I shouldn't have said that. But you were being such a..."
"A ? Thanks for reminding me."
"Come on Kyungsoo. How was I supposed to have reacted? If your best friend told you he was gay, would you have been so accepting?"
"I don't know. Tell me you like men and we'll see."
"This isn't about me! This is about you being..."
"Who are you kidding Baekhyun? Don't think I didn't notice your preference in muscles instead of short skirts growing up. Your fascination with facial hair or..."
"I don't know what you're talking about."
"Baekhyun. You offered... to sleep with me. That's as big of a hint you can get."
"Please stop talking."
"There's nothing wrong with liking guys Baekhy..."
"I AM NOT LIKE YOU!"

The look on Baekhyun's face was that of a scared child on the verge of tears. Kyungsoo felt so bad for his friend. Denial was an awful thing, he could certainly vouch for that.

"... It's scary, isn't it? Admitting it? I should know. It was completely terrifying to finally just... Accept it, give in to my feelings. But I tell you this. It was worth it. Kris was wor..."

Instinctively, Kyungsoo touched his bandaged arm. It would seem Baekhyun noticed.

"... Today. Why was Kris such a mess?"
"It's complicated... I..."
"Kissed and made up yet?"

Chanyeol barged through the door with a piece of toilet paper stuck to one of his shoes, smiling like he had just escaped from the loony bin.

"We're talking? It's progress, let's leave it at that. Feel better Kyungsoo."

Baekhyun turned around and headed for the door in long strides.

"I guess we're leaving. Sorry someone messed up your face, Kyungie. Just be glad they didn't think to cut the whole thing off. Okay, take care."

The giant gave him a quick awkward hug that hurt more than it helped.

"Oh and by the way, I called Krystal."
"Say what?"
"Your girlfriend? I wasn't sure if she knew so I told her."
"We broke up!"
"... Okay, bye ~!"

Kyungsoo internally face-palmed at the dufus fleeing his room.

'Great'

He'd better mentally prepare himself for a visit from a scorn ex-girlfriend with an agenda.
Probably.


"Here to gloat?"

 Monday morning and Krystal had waltzed inside in a white dress and put a basket on his bedside table. Granted it was a nice gesture to bring him some refreshments... Uh his IPod! Where'd she...

"No. What happened?"
"You know exactly what happened."

That seemed to wipe the smug smile off of her arrogant face.

"I knew I was messed up but I had never thought you were such a vengeful ."
"...I didn't ask him to do it."
"Oh clam up will you? Because you couldn't accept the fact that I have moved on, I was beaten to a pulp by your boyfriend and four of his closest baboon buddies."
"At least I hear Prince Charming came to rescue his damsel in distress. He really must love you."
"...I don't want to talk about him."
"Why not? Last time we spoke, he was the only thing on your mind."

Kyungsoo swallowed.
Kris was still on his mind but right now the loving thoughts of him were blackened by a broken dream. And Kyungsoo... As much as he didn't want to, had only Kris to blame.


"...Your jacket."

As Kris ran back inside the restaurant, Kyungsoo stayed outside, his face contorted into a wide grin of fondness.
Kyungsoo was beyond happy. He could honestly say that this, right here was the happiest he'd ever been, in love to over both ears. He should tell Kris tonight. It would be easy as pie confessing those words that seemed impossible only years ago.
'Kris. I lo...'

"Would you look who it is."

Kyungsoo turned around, coming face to face with Krystal's old flirt, Lee Taemin.  
The guy was only a few centimeters taller than himself but in the dark and backed up by four other guys Taemin seemed much, much more intimidating. But not enough for Kyungsoo to refrain from acting cocky.

"Let me guess... Krystal spilled a sob-story about wasted love, weeping crocodile tears the size of tea cups on your shoulder until you had a fit of testosterone blowing things out of proportion and wanting to seem manly in front of the fake princess, so here you are, sword raised and ready to slay~  the dragon."

"... Wh.. I don...You hurt her."
"She your girlfriend?"
"No. But I care about her and I will not stand and watch idly by when she is hurting because of the likes of you."
"The likes of me?"
"Guys who take advantage of innocent girls with a crush."
"Wow. You are quite the naive little henchman aren't you? You two deserve each oth... ARG!"
Kyungsoo fell for over as one of the other guys had kicked him in the back.

"No so cocky now are we?"

A blow knocked Kyungsoo to the ground. Shutting his eyes tight, he tried his best to ignore the pain as he fell, bracing himself for the impact.
For who knows how long Kyungsoo just lay there accepting every blow that landed when suddenly the incessant pounding stopped.

"Don't. Get in my way. Or I will kill you."

 Kyungsoo knew that voice. Daring to open his eyes, Kyungsoo was met with Kris's back as he pounced on the other guys. He felt strangely touched at the sight. There was Kris, fighting for him.

'Kris... Arg!'

Kyungsoo heard the snap before nerves sent impulses to his brain that his arm hurt. Kris had stepped on his wrist. Momentarily, Kyungsoo curled into a ball clenching his aching hand. The pain overwhelming but before he slipped out of consciousness he vaguely remember seeing the waitress from the restaurant come running towards the crowd.

Kyungsoo knew he would be able to play the piano again but it would take a long while for his wrist to heal. All his hard work these last couple of months, wasted. All his effort... It wasn't fair for him to blame Kris for his sprained wrist. The clumsy guy had only been trying to help after all. But still... Kyungsoo just couldn't face him. Not yet.

"You wouldn't understand..."

Krystal huffed a sarcastic puff of air, taking a seat next to his bed.

"I wouldn't? Remember, same thing happened to me."
"How is it the same? I don't recall being the reason for your accident."
"You sure? In the winter you always scolded me for forgetting my gloves. The day of my accident I was on my way to meet a friend when I noticed I hadn't my gloves with me. I ran back home after them. After that I was in a hurry. I didn't want to be late and so I ran as fast as I could for the metro. And that's when I took a tumble down. As did my dream."

Krystal fidgeted with her fingers, biting hard down on her lower lip to keep it steady.

"I still can't play... And all that anger... I couldn't bear putting the blame on myself. So I blamed you."

Kyungsoo's throat felt restricted as he took in the new information. He felt the same way. He was angry with himself for being such a fool. For playing with Krystal's heart when there was no need to. It was his own fault. Not Kris's. It's was Kyungsoo's fault but admitting being the one to destroy this opportunity of a lifetime was beyond difficult.

"I still blame you a little. But I've known for a while now that I love you more than my pride. Kyungsoo. It was always you. I'm so sorry for everything... but the things you do for love... It's almost scary."

Krystal slowly left her seat to lean in over the bed, hovering inches above Kyungsoo's head. She was crying. A warm tear hit his cheek as he baffled took in her sad beauty.
This. This was the girl he had fallen in love with all those years ago. Long dark hair pushed behind a pale ear. Thin, subtle rose tinted lips. And most important, her eyes once again shone with that  love and warmth when she looked at him. That's why, when Krystal softly pressed her lips against Kyungsoo's, he let her. He let all the bad memories go, to drown himself in the good. And for a moment, he was 13 again - Captivated by the enchanting white swan, playing her heart out for him to hear her true feelings of  first love.

 

"I love you... Krystal."
 

   

 

A/N 
Chapter 69... It was very difficult for me to cut away parts from this even though there are a lot of unneccesary info in this chapter as well. 
Next chapter... and this fic will finally be marked complete! ... But of course there'll  be a small epilogue, that's mostly for me :b (I need closure peeps!) 
For those of you who haven't read Kyungsoo's story this might be a bit confusing but hey that's really not my problem ;) 
Thanks for reading and following this story for wow... like half a year Oo Your words of encouragement have been the reason for me to go on with this fic! So thank you and I love you all :D:D <3