Make A Wish

Of Airplanes, Lists and Break-ups

Chapter 54

"You're old! Congratulations!"
A blowout sounded throughout Kris's room, the end  poking his face.
It was Thursday. It was his birthday and as it would seem Kyungsoo had remembered.
The last few days had been... surprisingly normal. Nothing had really changed from their daily routines or the way they were with each other. Kris would cook breakfast for them, following next was school, sometimes work and then Kyungsoo would make dinner or prepare something for Kris to heat up if they didn't have work the same day. Yes everything was just as they had been a month ago. Kyungsoo was just Kyungsoo. His friend and roommate. Eeeeeeverything was as platonic as it could be. Harmony and peace. All that crap.

"You're evil." Kris grunted as he hid his face behind his arms.
"That may be. But I have chocolate croissants, steaming hot from the oven. Come on, join the dark side. You know you want to."
A tray of pastries were then shoved in his face, making Kris swallow the drool collecting in his mouth.
"I guess... One, couldn't... hurt?"
"Thaaat's it. Give in to the temptation."
Kris cautiously reached out for a warm croissant.
"Strawberry milk?"
"Uh, yum!"
He quickly started sipping the straw, filling his mouth with delicious artificial flavored milk.
"By the way. We're skipping school today. I am taking you out on date."
Kris had to admit it had been a long time since he last choked on a dairy product, as the strawberry milk came running out his nose.
Allowing Kyungsoo to slap his back until the coughing seized, Kris quickly returned to 'normal'.
"You're what?!"
"Not a date, per se... More like an 'I'mSorryIPretendedToBeGaySoLet'sCelebrateYourBirthdayTheWayWeProbablyWouldHaveWereWeAGayCoupleInTheHoneymoonPhase.'"
"...Erh."
"Just get dressed and you'll see."

It took Kris two hours getting ready.
40 minutes to shower.
60 minutes to pick an outfit.
And 20 minutes to do his hair.
He might have gone a bit overboard but he didn't care because he looked awesome. Kris was wearing a white suit jacket over black leather pants and a metallic grey v-neck. Also the scarf he had received from Kyungsoo was carefully placed around his neck. His hair was pushed back, revealing a smooth forehead. He gave himself a last once over, winking at his reflection in the mirror before stepping out of the bathroom.

"Took you long enough."
Kyungsoo was sitting casually on their couch. He was wearing a black shirt, tugged into a pair of black jeans and oh dearest, a leather jacket. He looked very handsome. Kris let out a sigh before spotting the red rose residing between Kyungsoo's delicate fingers.
"For you."
He was then presented with the rose which he eagerly took, taking in the sweet scent. A smile spread on his lips as he closed his eyes.
"How did you know I love roses?"
Kyungsoo snorted.
"All chicks dig roses."
"Yah! I'm not a chick!"
Kyungsoo gave him a skeptical elevator look.
"Close enough."
"I'm not a chick!"
"Kris. You spent 2 hours getting ready. And I'm pretty sure you're wearing makeup."
"Am not... It's. It's just a little BB cream..."
Kris received a rather dubious expression from the small man.
"... I have dry skin, okay?"
Kyungsoo burst out laughing, clutching his stomach as Kris embarrassed made for the front door.
"This is already off to a great start. Are you coming?"

"Just tell me where we're going, will you?!"
They were sitting on a train, heading for... Kris had no idea.
"It's a surprise! But I think you'll like it."
"And erh... What's in the bag?"
Kris gestured to the leather backpack resting between Kyungsoo's knees.
"Stuff."
"Can I eat it?"
"Oh look. We're here."
Kyungsoo quickly got up from his seat, grabbing Kris's hand in the process.
As they got off the train, heading for exit no. 8 Kris noticed that the tiny man was still holding his hand. Kris didn't mind. Not even some of the stares they received from on-looking by-passers.
"You know you've really become a glutton ever since arriving to Korea. Can't help but feel I'm a bad influence."
"There isn't a doubt in my mind that, that is exactly what you are."
Kyungsoo grinned.
"Just remember big guy, food ain't love."
"... it's cutting it pretty close though. I haven't been this happy in... ever."
His hand received a reassuring squeeze.
"Me neither... Want to eat chicken skewers?"
Kyungsoo nodded towards a street vendor.
"Yes!"
They went through a real tour of the snack vendors, trying everything.
The chicken skewers, French fry corn dogs, egg bread, cup toast, cup chicken, sundae, fried snacks like dumplings, squid and sweet potato, mungbean pancakes, tornado potatoes,  hotteok, fish bread and walnut cakes which Kyungsoo insisted wasn't as good as Minseok's but Kris thought they were delicious anyway.
Completely full, they set off. Much slower this time.
As they walked Kyungsoo took his hand again, making Kris wonder.
"Why do you keep doing that? Holding my hand I mean. You never did that before."
Kyungsoo looked down at their intertwined hands, letting go immediately.
"I didn't... realize."
"No no! It's okay! I don't mind!"
Kris scooped up Kyungsoo's hand, walking a bit faster, before he hurriedly changed the subject.
"So are we there yet?"
Carefully the petit man slid his hand out of Kris's, smiling apologetically.
Why had he even said anything? Kyungsoo had really soft hands and holding it gave Kris an incredibly warm, totally platonic, swiveling feeling in his stomach.
"Yes. We're here."
In front of them was a big sign saying '서울숲'.
"Seoul forest?"
"We are here to see the autumn leaves. It's really beautiful. And seeing as you are quite the sentimental love fool, I thought you'd might like it. Let's go."
They entered the breath-taking park that shone up with golden colors, yellow, orange and red. It looked like something out of a movie scene. Awe-inspiringly stunning. Kris wished he had brought his sketch book. He would've loved to draw the astonishing sight before his eyes.

"Smile."     
A flash blinded his eyes for a moment. Kyungsoo was holding his Polaroid camera, waving a photo back and forth between his fingers.
"Yah! I wasn't ready! Take another. I'm gonna do the 'looking solemnly into the distance' pose. Or perhaps the 'over the shoulder'? What do you think?"
"I think... This one came out pretty nice."
It did. Among the autumn colors, Kris looked like a beautiful fairy prince. In his own very humble opinion.
"I can't believe you're not into me." Realizing what he had said, Kris worriedly looked to the smaller man.
"...I said that out loud, didn't I?"
A sheepish laugh escaped Kyungsoo's pretty lips.
"Erh... Yeah. Yeah you did."
"Sorry. I suppose I'm still getting used to... 'straight' Kyungsoo. It must be a relief for you not to pretend you're gay anymore. Now you can look around for a nice girl."
"Kris. 5 years of relationship suddenly over... it. It messes a person up. It's only been a couple of months since the break up. I'm not planning on falling for anyone anytime soon. If ever. I don't think I can."
A silence arose as they walked one of the small paths through the forest.
"How do you do it?" The petit man kept looking straight ahead as he uttered his question.
"Do what?"
"How do you stay so optimistic? Your girlfriend cheated on you and yet you still believe in love?"
"Optimistic? That seems like the wrong word to use. I just think that if I let all the bad things that happened between Kim and I consume me... I would go insane. We had some good times together. She was my first love and had it not been for her, I would never have come here in the first place. So in a messed up kind of way, I don't mind her cheating on me. Because it led me here. And Korea certainly is amazing during the fall."
Kris let a sad smile show on his face before patting Kyungsoo on the shoulder.
"Besides... Je t'aime plus qu'hier, moins que demain. To live without love, is not to properly live. And I plan on living my life to the fullest."
"You're the cheesiest. Don't ever change."
They shared a shy smile before Kyungsoo trotted off towards a bike rental shop.

Side by side they rode their rented bikes along the Han River.
Everything was so peaceful. Kris realized he had really needed this change of pace. Seoul was such a busy city, everyone was in a hurry. But this. This was doing wonders to his mind and soul.

"Oh! It's Luhan!"
"Kris... That's a deer."
They came to a halt near the deer corral.     
"What? Huh. Could've fooled me."
Ditching his bike, Kris walked closer to the fence. A deer's snout met his hand, making him break into a charming grin.
"It likes me. Hello pretty. You look like a friend of mine."
Kyungsoo went to stand next to him, smiling himself.
"Ready for your cake?"
"There's cake?!"
"If you stop cuddling with Luhan there is."
"Aaaw, is someone jealous? Want me to scratch you behind your ear as well?"
"... Bite him Luhan. Do it."
"Luhan likes me too much to do that. Don't you pretty?"
The silly creature nuzzled it's mouth closer to Kris's hand, earning a pearly laugh from him.
"No cake for you then."
When Kris turned around, Kyungsoo was already on his bike, biking away.
"Yah! Wait for me!"
He made to leave when he stopped, turned around and bowed to the deer.
"Sorry Luhan but I gotta go. Nice meeting you."
He then ran towards his own bike and hurried after the small man.
When he finally caught up, Kyungsoo wasn't on his bike anymore but standing still at a square in the park. Kris got off his bike as well, standing across from him on the other side of the square. Without thinking Kris started across the square, noticing an evil smirk on Kyungsoo's face when he was suddenly drenched with water. Apparently the square was a jumping fountain, soaking Kris to the bone. Panicking, he ran out of the fountain towards a laughing Kyungsoo.

"My hair!"
He earned another loud cry from Kyungsoo who seemed to find it all way too amusing.
"You think this is funny?"
"I... You... So... Hilarious... Can't.... Breathe... Hurts...What are you doing?!"
Kris had picked up Kyungsoo like a bag of potatoes and thrown him over his shoulder, waddling into the fountain again.
"KRIS! Put me down! You put me down or I'll..."
"Nope. Time for you to get a taste of your own medicine."
Standing in the middle of the fountain with a tiny man jabbing small fists into the lower of his back, Kris put Kyungsoo down, holding him in place. He then backed him into one of the many water sprays until he was just as soaked as Kris.
Deeming his revenge served cold, he let go of Kyungsoo.
"Learned your lesson yet?"
"... No."
Kyungsoo stepped on a nozzle, changing the direction of the water, spraying Kris in the face. Once again laughter erupted from his roommates lips.
"...I'm gonna get you for that."
With that Kris started chasing Kyungsoo who ran for dear life, still laughing.
Out of the fountain and entering a grassy area, Kris tackled the poor guy to the ground. Rolling around for a while, Kris finally landed on top.
"Got ya!"
He started shaking his hair, raining hundreds of water-drops down on a squirming Kyungsoo. Ending his punishment, Kris stopped his shaking, grinning at the man trapped underneath him, his eyes meeting Kyungsoo's.
Time seemed to stop as they stared each other in the eye. His heart was speeding up, his stomach turned and he realized... He realized he couldn't do platonic. He realized this was different. This was him, head over heels in love and there was no way to stop it. Knowing that, Kris's face turned into a worried frown.
Kyungsoo didn't like guys. Kyungsoo would never like him back. Kyungsoo would...
"Kris?"
He shook his head, snapping back to reality.
"You're squishing the cake."
"I'm what?!"
In a second Kris was on his feet.
"Is the cake okay?!"
Kyungsoo scoffed as he sat up, opening his backpack. He took out a plastic container, removing the lid, revealing a piece of shaken, mushy strawberry shortcake.
"Well... It should taste just the same." He then took out a birthday candle from his bag, along with a lighter.
Sticking the candle into the ruined cake he lit the candle, handing the container to Kris.
"Make a wish."
Pondering what to wish for a few minutes while ignoring Kyungsoo's very annoyed, impatient face, Kris finally made up his mind.
'I wish for Kyungsoo to love again.'
With that he blew out the candle.
"What did you wish for?"
Kris just smiled before dipping his finger in the whipped cream, smearing some on Kyungsoo's nose.

Their clothes were still wet as they entered their apartment. They had gotten a lot of weird stares on the train home, most of them courtesy of Kris's squeaky leather pants but he hadn't cared. Today had been too much fun.
While Kris was taking off his white jacket, Kyungsoo came out from the bathroom with a towel, guiding Kris to sit down. He sat down on his knees in front of Kris, carefully drying his blond hair. After a little while he let out a sigh.
"This is pretty pointless." He sat back.
"Go take a warm shower or you'll catch a cold."
"What about you?"
"I can wait."
Kris took the towel out of Kyungsoo's hands putting it on top of the small man's head.
"I take longer showers than you. Also I'm pretty sure my pants will be stuck to my legs for the rest of my life. You go. I have something to take care of."
"You sure?"
Kris smiled.
"Go."
"Okay. But if you end up sick I'm not taking care of you."
"Sure you won't."
Kyungsoo rose to his feet.
"Thank you, Kyungsoo. I had a great birthday."
"You're welcome. And just, you know, a random information, my birthday is January 12th. You might want to jot that down or something."
Kris laughed.
"Go shower."
When the man finally left, Kris went into his room, closing the door.
He sat down at his desk, pulling out his old diary. Tearing out a few pages, Kris grabbed a pencil, starting a new list.

'Do Kyungsoo'

  • Remember January 12th

  • Make Kyungsoo smile at least once a day.

  • Start working out again because you are getting flabby and flabby just ain't y.

  • Get Kyungsoo and his mother to speak again.

Kris knew Kyungsoo would never see him as anything but a friend. It made his chest hurt but he still wanted to help him. He wanted nothing but for Kyungsoo to be happy.
 

 

  • Make Kyungsoo believe in love again.



    A/N
    Here . Have som birthday fluff :b
    Kris can't do platonic no more but what about Kyungsoo?
    Next chapter will be a small turning point in Kyungsoo's life so stay tuned xD