My Turn!

Of Airplanes, Lists and Break-ups

Chapter 48

They made a deal to take turns in helping with each others' lists. Each weekend the other would decide what to do. Kyungsoo close to forgot about his other friends in Kris's company. He liked that. It took some of the confusion and hurt away. Not all... but just enough.

"Suit up!"
It was Saturday morning. Kyungsoo came rushing into Kris's bedroom wearing a black suit. It was his turn to check something off of his list, seeing as Kris had forced him into the whole Coffee prince/Ice cream/feeding/nursing, man, he had done a lot for Kris. His turn was definitely  overdue.

"What?"
"Get up! We're going somewhere, where a suit is necessary."
"Where?"
"You'll see."
 

"Erh Kyungsoo. What are we doing in a church, where what I'm guessing from the girl in the white ballgown, is a wedding about to take place?"

Kyungsoo had dragged him out of bed at 8 in the morning, allowed him half an hour to change before they had gotten on the subway for 20 minutes and now sat on the furthest bench in a holy church, watching little girls throw flower petals on the ground for the bride to sweep up with her dress.

"Do you know them?"
"Not at all. But! We are going to ruin their wedding."
"We are what?!"

"Shhh."
An elderly man turned his head around to shush the both of them.
"Sorry. We are what?"
"When the priest goes 'any objections blablabla' you and I run up there and kiss the couple. I take the bride, you take the groom..."
"Shouldn't it be the other way around?"
"Then we'll spill some sob story about both having had a love affair but that they just couldn't break each others' heart, choosing to go through with the wedding instead of staying with their true loves, that's us by the way."
'If anyone can show just cause why this couple cannot be legally joined in marriage...'
 "That's our cue. Ready?"
"What?! Kyungsoo are you insane? We're not doing that!"
"Oh come on, it'll be fun."
"Fun? Oh hell no. Veto. VETO, VETO, VETO!"
"... Is that an objection, sir?"
The entire audience turned to see just who decided to veto the marriage. Kris froze in his seat.

"Sir?"
He awkwardly cleared his throat before standing up, trying his best to ignore the many, many eyes staring him down.

"No. Ahm. I... seem to...  be at the wrong wedding. Yeah. This isn't the Chung wedding. "
Kris looked at his watch.
"Nope. Not even the right time or date. But the bride looks stunning... Love the dress. Although I kinda think with your skin tone you would have been better off with eggshell..."
The priest cleared his throat.

"Right. Not important. Please, do carry on."
The guests finally turned their eyes towards the wife and husband to be, while Kris slowly sat down again, mentally patting himself for a job well done. Kyungsoo didn't look so happy though.

"I knew I should've done this alone."
"Yeah well, too bad. You're not destroying love today mister. Not on my watch. Not. On. My. Watch."
"You ."
"Not as much as you though."

 

"Okay. I've seen your classmates, there are some pretty cute girls in there. Why come to Namsan Tower, one of the most couply places ever, not with a date, not even a female but a guy who also just happens to be your roommate. That's just sad. And that's coming from me."

Kris had waited until it turned dark to tell Kyungsoo what they were going to do that Sunday. It had been pure luck that Kyungsoo hadn't had to go to work that day. Well for Kris it had been luck. For Kyungsoo, it had major league .

"I don't wanna come here with some random girl from my class. I wanted to come here with someone special."
"And I'm the best you could think off?"
"Well, yeah."
"That's... Even sadder. But thank you."

The first thing Kris had done when they finally reached the tower after a loooooooot of stairs, was to drag Kyungsoo into a small shop to buy a lock. Kris had taken one look before running towards a pink lock adorned with a red heart.

"No."
"Come on. It's pretty."
"Kris. We're guys and in fact not a love-struck couple planning on spending the rest of our lives together. So perhaps you could choose something a little less hearty and... girly?"
"... okay."
Kyungsoo did feel a little bad at Kris's sad face as he watched the man reach out for a pastel green lock, putting back the pink one.   

"Is this one okay?" Kris said indifferently, shoving the green lock in his face.
"... You really want the pink one?"
"... No?"
Kyungsoo sighed before taking the lock out of Kris's hand. He slowly placed it in its original place before picking Kris's first choice, heading for the counter.
"Iiiih! You're the best!"
Kyungsoo sighed again, trying his best to smile.

They wrote their names on the lock or rather Kris did. He decorated the small lock with doodles and when he thought Kyungsoo wasn't looking, he wrote a small 'Saranghae' on the backside. Kyungsoo scoffed at Kris's cheesiness but didn't say anything. He did want Kris to have a good time here, even if it was with him. 

Together they hung it on the railing among the countless others. After that Kris left to get them ice cream while Kyungsoo moved to another part of the railing.

It was still there. The pink lock with a red heart, graced with the names, Kyungsoo and Krystal, was still there. He scoffed. It had been over two years since they hung it here, together.


"I still don't see how writing our names on a lock and hanging it here among thousands of other locks, with thousands of couples no longer together, is romantic. Seriously Krystal. This is just stupid."
"Everyone else does it..."
Kyungsoo internally face-palmed at his girlfriend's words.
"If everyone else drowned their kids, ate books or beat up hobos, would you then also do it just because everyone else did?"
"I think it's a nice thought."
"Beating up hobos?"
"No. Writing our names on a lock. It's romantic. But if you don't want to, we'll just forget about it." He sighed.
"Which lock should we get?"


"Kyungsoo. There you are. What are you..."
Kris followed Kyungsoo's line of vision which led to the same kind of lock he had just picked out.
"Kyungsoo + Krystal Forever... oh."
He quickly averted his gaze towards the smaller man. He looked so sad it made Kris hate himself a little bit for bringing him here.

"I never threw away the key."
A small key appeared in Kyungsoo's hand.
"On some level, I guess I always knew it wouldn't last."
He then proceeded to unlock the void promise of forever, caressing the smooth surface of the lock.

"I never wanted to fall in love. But it happened and... it's brought me nothing but regret."
Kris set the ice cream cup on the ground.
"Would you like a hug?"
"... Yes please."

 

"Do I dare ask what's next on your list?"
It was Saturday morning. The two of them were eating breakfast, scrambled eggs and bacon, courtesy of chef Kris.
"We're going to go out, spot a couple.... and break them up."
"Veto."
"This is no fun!"

 

"I really, really want to veto this."

They were standing inside the 'Hello Kitty' cafe in Hongdae , where everything was pink. Everything. Much to Kyungsoo's dismay.
"But it's so cute! Uh! Let's get a private booth!"
Kyungsoo could only shake his head in defeat as they were led to a private room, yes in pink, by a waitress giggling the entire time. Perhaps at the ridiculousness of two grown men ordering patbingsu at a Hello Kitty cafe... without dates.

The patbingsu was good though.

It was now the beginning of November. Kris had somehow managed to help Kyungsoo with the rent but his bank account was crying now. He wouldn't be able to help with next month's payment... Unless?

He silently knocked on Kyungsoo's door, waiting for a 'come in' before opening it.
"Kyungsoo? I... I have a confession to make."
Kyungsoo looked up from his desk with wide eyes.
"Oh no. You're not in love with me are you?"
"... I'm not even going to dignify that with an answer. I don't have enough money to help you with the rent thingy. Sorry. But. I was thinking that maybe you could store your stuff somewhere else and just keep the necessities in my room, where we'll share my bed and if anyone finds out you live here for free we'll just..."
"Yeah. I don't think so. You could get thrown out in the process and then we'd both be homeless."
"...Right. Didn't even think about that."
"It's too bad though. I really like living with you."
"I know, it ! I really want you to stay but what are we gonna do?"
Kris threw himself on Kyungsoo's bed, enjoying its scent.
"... I may have an idea."

"You're hired!"

Kyungsoo's boss handed Kris a black apron before turning on his heel.
"But I have never waited tables before."
The man was already gone.
"None of the employees here have had any previous waiting experience. Let's just say the owner picks his staff based on a nice face and not on a resume."
Kyungsoo brought him a set of clothes like his own, a light blue long-sleeved shirt and beige slacks.
"They should fit. Go change and I'll run you through everything."
"Okay." Kris turned to leave.
"And... Thanks. You're a really good friend, Kris."
He swallowed thickly at the words. Smiling at the petit man, Kris hugged his clothes to his chest.
"Anytime."

"Wow, I'm beat."
Kris slowly kicked off his shoes, grimacing at his hurting feet. That Jongin kid had made sure to keep him on his toes all day while Kyungsoo helped Minseok in the kitchen. But apart from his feet killing him and the crazy exhaustion, Kris had actually enjoyed the work. It was fun bouncing between tables, taking orders, playing with the customers. Serving delicious food and having it praised. The only thing that was difficult was the complicated coffee machine. Kris wasn't much of a coffee person. Not unless the bitter taste was covered with sugar and cream... and sugar.

"I hope Jongin didn't scare you off. He seemed kind of intent on bossing you around."
"No. Not at all. I actually enjoyed myself. Waiting is fun."
Kris and Kyungsoo entered the living room, both tired from work and ready to hit the sack.
"I'm surprised you didn't smash anything. On my first day, I must have broken at least 10 plates."
"We'll that's just because you're not as awesome as me."
He had expected Kyungsoo to show off his stone-face or hit him with some of his usual verbal abuse but no. Kyungsoo just smiled.
"I guess you're right."
 A brown paper bag was into Kris's hands as Kyungsoo left for his bedroom.

Puzzled Kris opened the bag. In it resided two chocolate croissants and a small carton of strawberry milk.
Picking up the drink, he looked towards Kyungsoo's room. Kris had never mentioned his love for  strawberry milk to Kyungsoo. He smiled as he opened the carton and took a long sip.
So much was happening and he couldn't be any happier.

Suddenly falling in love didn't seem so important anymore.
Because now.

Now he had Kyungsoo.


A/N

Wedding scene inspired by VivianWu :b