Best Friend?

Of Airplanes, Lists and Break-ups

Chapter 28

Before Kris knew it school was starting and he was nervous. No, it, he was chicken . He knew that he had already made a few...  acquaintances from Luhan's club but they didn't exactly meet outside of it. He was attending his third year in college. University? In Canada he was attending college but here in Seoul he was to spend a year in university. Kris didn't really understand but he didn't care much. What he did care about however, was the fact that he would be attending third year at a new school with already made cliques and he would be the oddball what with his piercings, tattoos and bleached hair. Kris couldn't exactly remember how he used to be. For so long he had been imitating someone else, at least appearance wise. A bad boy and a jock. He had only had Mark, before when he was, well a nobody and only when he became someone else had he been good enough to make other friends. Shallow friendships. People who would've hung him out to dry the moment he'd lose his popularity. They didn't give two s about him. All they cared about was themselves, their own status, their place in the hierarchy. Kris didn't need friends like that. He wanted friends who would cheer him up when he was down, be there for him, donate a kidney if it was 'knock on wood' ever necessary. But just how did you make such friends, Kris wondered.

In his first class Kris had shied away from everyone. Not because anyone looked scary, plus Kris was like what, a head taller than most of them? It was just, he was so scared that they would turn out to be like Mark and his 'Slam Pack' of jocks and bullies. Whenever someone tried approaching Kris, Kris would send them a cold glare, effectively keeping everyone in his class at bay. At lunchtime, Kris was back in high school, standing awkwardly with his tray of food eyeing empty tables.

"Kris?"
Kris slowly turned towards the sound. His heart rate sped up as a certain individual popped up in his mind.

His heart rate quickly turned back to normal though as Kris was met with one of the members from the club. He tried to hide his disappointment the best he could.  But honestly, what was the chance of running into Kyungsoo here anyway? Right, in his wildest dreams. Not that Kris wanted to see him again! No sir! That would be... weird not to mention awkward. I mean just how would one start a conversation with the guy, guy not girl, who out of nowhere kissed you on the mouth after only knowing each other for 18 hours?

Lay's face was covered with worry. Kris was just standing there nodding and shaking his head. He looked like someone having a conversation with themselves.

"...Kris? You okay?"
Kris held up his hand.

"In a minute."

 After another minute of uncomfortable silence, Kris seemed to come back to earth. He put down his hand and gave Lay a smile.

"Hey, what's up?"

"... You talking to me?"

"Of course who else would I be talking to?"

Kris gave him a confused look which made Lay feel like the weirdo of the two.

"... Anyway. I thought you might want to join our table. It's pretty much just us from TCA but it's only understandable if you want to spend time with your new class mates."

Kris would've hugged the man but his tray was in the way. Instead he settled for an indifferent shrug of his shoulder.

"Sure. I guess I can join you. Because I want to, not because you asked me or anything. Yeah, why not. Lead the way brother." Kris internally face-palmed at himself. 'Could you sound more desperate?'   

Lay did as he was told, he led the way to TCA's table, a sighing, hunched over Kris following behind.

"Kris, you remember Jongdae and Tao right? And I'm sure Luhan is still haunting your dreams."

Kris certainly did remember everyone. Jongdae was the guy who drooled after Minseok...ie? And Tao was the creepy looking dude with the stick problem. And yes, Luhan did indeed haunt his dreams. Sometimes he would wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of flesh meeting flesh. The loud slap of a firm buttock, echoing through his room. Luhan's voice going 'no bounce' and 'Gay, gay, gay' over and over again in slow-motion. Kris would frantically search under his bed for the blond molester he was sure was hiding under it. But nothing. He made a mental note to buy a dream-catcher. Very. Soon.

"I remember. Hey guys."

"And this, is Kim Joonmyun." Lay put his hand on a petite guy's shoulder before taking a seat next to him.

"It's very nice to meet you Kris. So brave of you to take a year in a different country. If you need someone to help you find your way around, you can always come to me."

Joonmyun reached his hand out for Kris to take. Kris sat down next to Lay as he shook the guy's much smaller hand. The guy looked kinda constipated. His eyes were almost non-existing, the same could be said about his lips which were spread so widely they turned white.
Lay took to whisper to Kris again.

"He's said the same speech to all of us with the exception of Jongdae. He's a nice guy but he tries very hard to compensate for his size."

"He has a small ?" Kris's eyes widened while he tried his best to not let his gaze befall the table, trying to see through it.

"What, no! I mean, I don't know? It's not like I've seen it. , I meant his height. He is trying to compensate for his height! Or the lack of it."

A discreet blush colored Kris's cheeks. He contemplated whether it was too soon to give up and go back to Canada.

Luhan, who sat on the other side of Joonmyun, slapped before mentioned on the thigh before turning to Kris.

"This is the pushover who's car I borrowed. You're free to use it as well. He has like 5." Luhan put his hand up to make a screen between him and Joonmyun as he whispered. "He's like the richest kid at school and still he manages to be one of the most unpopular. But you know he's... nice. And he'll lend you money."

Joonmyun nudged Luhan's rib.

"Shush it will you?! I want him to like me for me, not for my parents' money. He's right though. You're free to use my car which I only have one of." 
Luhan patted his abused rib while shooting daggers at the shorter man. Kris immediately took a liking to Joonmyun. Respect that he didn't use his money to gain friends who would be out the door as soon as he hit rock-bottom. Kris wanted to applaud him but that would be kinda weird wouldn't it?
"Why do you lend out your car? You do realize that Luhan can't drive right?"

"Believe me, I'm aware of that. As to answer your other question, I hate driving. I much prefer public transportation. You just never know when someone could be in need of your help."
While the other people present at the table grunted at Joonmyun's hero complex, Kris was amazed. This was it. This, was his new best friend. He could just feel it. This was the sort of guy who would be there for you. He was the guy with the kidney to spare! This! Was Kris's emergency organ donor! ... And best friend.  

"That is truly admirable. Just wow. Mind. Blown."
"It's really nothing. But I do believe we should do everything we can in helping the less fortunate." Joonmyun's words may be modest but the pride dripping off of his voice made Luhan gag at the cheesiness.                        

"Definitely. Hey, why aren't you in Luhan's club?" Kris was wondering out loud because he hadn't seen him at their meetings but he seemed to be sort of a friend to Luhan, so why was this the first time seeing him? Luhan rolled his eyes just as Joonmyun leaned forward, resting his chin on his hands.

"Because, my friend, I find the name of the club extremely racist."
 "Here we go again," Luhan deadpanned.

"The China Alliance? I don't know who it is more racist to. The Chinese people who are currently residing in this school or to the Koreans who are excluded from ever joining. I do not want to encourage such bad mannered club no matter how much I care for the people in it."
"It was either The China Alliance or 'My Brother From Another Chinese Mother'," Lay piped in. "Just be glad we all voted for the former."

"How can TCA be racist if there are two Koreans members, you dimwit." Luhan smacked Joonmyun on the back of his head. "Everyone is free to join... as long as I have handpicked them or a certain individual won't attend the club unless his friend could join as well." Luhan shot Jongdae an annoyed glare.

"We are very open-minded people. Very."

"Then change the name." Joonmyun said while rubbing his head.

"I will do no such thing."
And that was the end of discussion. And recess.

While the others started packing up and leaving for their next class, Kris and Joonmyun stayed put.

"So how is your first day going so far?" Joonmyun slowly scooted closer to Kris.

"It's... You know. It's good. Fine. Just... Recess has been the best so far." Kris admitted sheepishly.

"Sorry to hear that. Especially since spending time with these guys has been the highlight of your day. Don't get me wrong, I love my friends but sometimes they can be... quite the trial. Tao is a sweet boy but he tries his hardest in hiding that fact. A few weeks after he came here, he completely changed. He started wearing only black, pierced his ears and sent death glares at anyone daring to look at him. Jongdae is my oldest friend. He is one of the funniest persons I have ever met, also one of the most cheerful, but I have no idea what he is doing at this table. I mean he never opens his mouth here and he spends most of lunch just glaring at Luhan. Trying to set him on fire with his mind or something. And Luhan! Don't even get me started. He is the most obnoxious person I have ever met and that is coming from me! He has a kind heart but all that is overshadowed by his insufferable personality. Lay is probably the only person remotely normal at this table and even he has his weird quirks." Joonmyun looked out of breath. His face had turned red and his eyes were bloodshot.

"I'm not trying to scare you away. Just, if you ever need company, I would like it if you came to me before any of them. Because you never know what trouble they most certainly will bring to you."

Kris, trying to keep up with Joonmyun's fast-paced Korean, solemnly nodded.

"Does this mean we're friends?"

"Of course."


Kris couldn't resist the moron gum-smile that made way across his face. He had done it. Kris had made a new best friend!

 

Or so he thought.