I thought...

Of Airplanes, Lists and Break-ups

Chapter 52

"This is it."
Lay led Tao into his new home while the others carried his belongings. There wasn't much but apparently enough for four guys to carry. Most of his stuff his dad had broken out of spite and Tao had let him. He had been so scared to return to that place but with his... his friends, shielding him the entire time, it had felt somewhat safe. His father had yelled, begged, cried, thrown punches around but no one could stop Minseok when he was angry. The much smaller guy had held his father back as the others started packing up his things.

"Panda. You're leaving me too? You're leaving me like that mother of yours?! How can you?! I am your dad!"
"Hey!" Luhan chirped in, surprising Tao.
"You may be his father but you are not his dad. How dare you even call yourself that after everything you've put your son through? You should be ashamed of yourself, you sad, pathetic little man."
"He put me through worse!"
"A parent does not hold grudges towards his kid. A parent is supposed to love his child no matter what. You. Are no parent."
Luhan had then put his arm around Tao, shielding him from his father.
"Let's get out of here."
He then whispered into his ear.
"Don't let him see you cry. Keep your head held high and walk through the door. You can do it."
Tao took a deep breath as he let Luhan steer him towards the front door.   
"I hate you! I hate you! I curse the day you were born! I have no son. I have no son. I have no son!"
For the second time that day, Tao closed his ears to his father's hurtful words, leaving the place with a heavy heart but incredibly grateful to these people, who had only endured him because they had to but was now helping him carry this burden and stood up for him. It somehow lifted his spirit to know they weren't just people who pretended to care. No. They actually cared about him. They actually were... his friends.

"Thanks Lay."
"Anytime."
He received another pat on his shoulder before Luhan entered the room with a large bag flung over his shoulder. On the same time, Lay left the room, leaving the two alone.
"And to think I didn't even know he had a spare room. But then again it is the first time I'm seeing his place." Luhan put down the bag.
"Need help unpacking?"
"No I'm good... Thank you. For sticking up for me back there. You're right. He's not my dad anymore."
"Yeah well, just because they are your parents', that doesn't mean they  can control your life."
"... Your parents?"
"Tao. I'm gay. I was 14 when I came out to them, told my loving family that I, their son liked boys. You know what they did? They tried slapping some sense into me. And I mean that most literal in every aspect. If anyone knows what you're going through, it's me. I haven't seen my parents in... 6 years?"
"I'm sorry."
"Don't be. Of course I miss them but if they can't accept me for who I am then I can't let them drag me down. I am me and I love me. I deserve to be who I am."
Luhan hugged himself as if reassuring himself of his choice.
"Anyway. I hope you'll be okay. If you ever need anyone to talk to, I'm here for you. I know I joke around a lot but we all care for you Tao. Why else would you still be in TCA?"
Tao gave Luhan a tired smile.
"I'll go see what the others are up to."
With that Luhan exited the small bedroom, not noticing the person outside the room, pressed up against the wall.

Kris looked around. This was the first time he was seeing Lay's place. It was small but very nice. Very homey compared to his own apartment. His eyes wandered across the room, landing on a photo frame.
"Oh. Is that you? Who's the cute girl?"           
Kris picked up the frame, staring intently on it.
"Aah that. She's my ex-girlfriend."
Needless to say, all eyes were on Lay in a matter of seconds.
"She's the one who decorated the place."
"... There's got to be a story behind." Minseok took the picture out of Kris's hands.
"Wow. She's pretty... Sorry."
"It's okay." Lay took back the picture, putting it back.
"We met when  we were both dancing in a local show. We were 16 at the time both dreaming of becoming professional dancers. Sharing that dream, we ended up falling in love. It's just that my parents didn't exactly support my dream. They wanted me to become a doctor. So in secret we both applied for scholarships in performing arts everywhere we could. To our luck we both got accepted into Korean universities. And then we eloped."
"Then what happened?" Kris said solemnly.
"We had been here for maybe 2 months when she started regretting coming here. She went back. I didn't."
"So it just ended?"
"I understood that she missed her family but this is my dream. I couldn't go back with her. I would've regretted it for the rest of my life. I know the chances are slim and that it is just a silly dream. But it is my passion. My reason to live. So yes. It just ended."
"... Do you miss her?" Jongdae uncomfortably shuffled his feet.
"Every day. But enough about me. We should go check on Tao."
As the others left, Kris held Luhan back.
"Can we talk?"
"Sure. What's up sweet-cheeks?"
"Please don't call me that."
"... Baby-?"
"Please stop."
"Just spit it out!"
"... When... How? Did you know that... you liked guys?"
"Oh my God! You and Tao did sleep together. I knew it!"
"We didn't! Just answer the very normal and not at all unusual question!"
"Fine. I thought I might be when I was 11. I knew when I was 13. And how? I just knew. There was this feeling I only got when boys were around me."
"Were you in love with any of them"
"I've liked boys. Plenty. But I've only ever been in love with one and he is still convinced he isn't playing for my team. Do you think you might be in love with a guy?"
Kris swallowed thickly.
"I don't know. I'm not attracted to guys at all. All except from this one person. It's so confusing. One moment  I think I love him, the next he is just a friend. Maybe it's because I know he's gay and... that he actually might like me back? I don't know."
"I see. You're talking about Kyungsoo aren't you?"
"I..."
"You guys need to talk. Kyungsoo isn't..."
"Isn't what?"
"... Isn't... ready for a commitment. He is still getting over his ex-girlfriend."
"I know."
"Just talk to the man and I'm sure everything will work out in your favor."
"You really think so?"
"I really do."


Soon after Minseok had to leave. The others stayed around, keeping the new roommates company, ordering jjajangmyeon and talking. It was fun. Quite different from the TCA meetings lately what with Luhan skipping or simply cancelling them. This was like a small family getting together to share embarrassing stories, laughter and comfort. Even Jongdae seemed to be having a good time. Kris was surprised he hadn't left with Minseok hours before. The usually silent guy was chatting away, cracking joke after joke, even making Luhan laugh at times.
Kris looked at his watch. Kyungsoo would still be at work. If he left now he might be able to do the giant pile of dishes stacked in their sink before his roommate came home. Kris was surprised that Kyungsoo had managed to remove everything else before going to work. The least Kris could do was the washing up and so he bid the others a goodnight before leaving out the door.

"I'm gonna go too guys." Jongdae stood up.
"Today was fun... Despite everything happening to you. Sorry Tao."
Luhan watched as Jongdae grabbed his coat and left.
"I should probably go as well. Remember Tao. Any time." He hugged Tao close before leaving the same way as the others.    

It was cold outside. Luhan hugged his coat closer when he heard a familiar voice behind him.
"And here I thought your parents had been so accepting of you."
"Jongdae?"
"I guess you had a hard time coming out as well."
"What? Wait... You heard?"
"Everything."
His nemesis quietly approached him.
"One thing though. You just took off one day? Leaving your whole family behind?"
"What of it?"
"Was that really the right thing to do?"
"I'm sorry but didn't you run off as well?"
"A few blocks yes. I didn't escape to another country. How did you do it?"
"What is it to you?"
Jongdae shrugged his shoulders.
"Curious, I guess."
"Not that it is any of your business but as you may have heard, when I came out my parents slapped me around, so I did what I had to. I started acting straight, got a few girlfriends here and there, all the while saving up to get the hell away from them. I arranged the papers myself to get into a school here in Seoul. I arranged to stay with a homestay family, bought the ticket and never looked back. I aced all my scores, got a full scholarship to our university and as they say, the rest is history."
"What about money?"
"... Joonmyun's helping me. I do have a job but it doesn't pay enough so he helps me out. I'm his... charity cause." Luhan scoffed.
"I'm grateful. I am. Right now I need his help to get by but when I finish school next year and I get a better paying job, I'll pay him back every last won he's lend me."
"Joonmyun..." A small smile spread on Jongdae's lips before quickly vanishing again.
"But six years? Why didn't you stand up to your parents?"
"Yes well, I'm sorry I didn't have the moral support from Minseok like you did. I had no one. Not a single soul to come to my rescue like you apparently had."
"You're right. Had it not been for Minseok I would most likely have done what you did. Or something worse..."
"Don't rub it in."
"I'm not... Are you really in love with him?"
"Isn't it obvious?"
"You should stop it."
"Because you're in love with him as well and he was your first kiss? I don't think so."
"No. You should stop because neither of us has a chance with him. He's not gay."
Luhan stubbornly shook his head and rolled his as he passed by Jongdae.
"He will be."
A hand harshly yanked him back.
"No he won't! Spare yourself the heartache and move on."        
The hand let go of him. Skeptically Luhan looked at Jongdae.
"Didn't take you for a quitter."
"I'm not."
"Whatever you say. I'm freezing to death listening to your bull. If that's all, I'm gonna go. Goodnight Jongdae."
"He's seeing someone."
Luhan stopped dead in his tracks.
"And yes. It's a girl."
"...I don't believe you."
"Neither did I when he told me a few weeks ago. I couldn't believe it but now I'm actually happy for him."
Without thinking, Luhan raised his right hand and slapped Jongdae across the face.
"...Not sure I deserved that."
Surprised with himself Luhan stormed off, Jongdae right on his tail.
"Look. I'm sorry to break it to you but he's just not into guys! That's just the way it is. If you're really his friend, you won't hate him for this. You should be happy he's finally found someone..."
"Jongdae! Why are you telling me this?!"
"... Because... After seeing you so down  and not like yourself... It seemed wrong not to. In the beginning it was hilarious but after a while, it was just sad."
Luhan sighed. Minseok, his Minseok was dating someone. Minseok was happy. Hadn't he been before? With Luhan?
"I need a drink."
Luhan started walking again. Slower this time.
"Aren't you coming?"


Kris was walking home in a daze. Luhan was right. Him and Kyungsoo really needed to talk. But something was nagging him. Something about the way Luhan had hesitated with his words. It was probably nothing. He was just nervous. That's all.
He had maybe an hour to clean the dishes before Kyungsoo came home but only if he hurried.
Kris entered his apartment. That was strange, Kyungsoo shoes were here.
Kris took off his own shoes and silently went into the living room.
"Kyungsoo? I thought you were ... Gay..."
There in front of him, lying on the couch on top of a girl, both half , making out, was his Kyungsoo.

Time stood still as Kris's heart stopped beating for what felt like forever.



A/N
Yeah... I'm sorry if anyone is disappointed with the xiuhan/xiuchen that wont happen but didn't want to turn everyone gay for each other -.-'
Will post next update when chapter 56 is written :) So should be up in a few days ^^