November Blues

Of Airplanes, Lists and Break-ups

Chapter 55

November passed by in a blur and Kyungsoo was slowly going crazy.
He still wasn't speaking to Baekhyun or Chanyeol nor his mother. Whenever he got the urge for human contact, he would go out but reject any female hitting on him. All the while thinking about a certain someone, sleeping at 'home'.
Kris had been his rock for what felt like forever, only, his ability to make Kyungsoo forget was starting to wear off. Because every time Kris was there for him, a small part of Kyungsoo backed away. He was lonelier than ever, resenting himself for looking at Kris's lips when the man spoke, recalling previous kisses.
It was screwing with his mind.
Slowly, he was pushing Kris away, making weak excuses not to hang out with him. Even their weekend activities had come to a halt.
He missed spending time with Kris, he missed his friends. He missed his mother.


It was the last Saturday of November.
Kyungsoo was just lying in his bed, awake but painfully tired. Lately he hadn't slept much. Always thinking. His mind never shutting up.

"Kyungsoo. You awake?"
There was a knock on his door. Pretending to be asleep, the door opened.
"Kyungsoo? Come on, I know you're not really sleeping."
Kyungsoo didn't answer.
"Kyungsoo... Oh well. I just wanted to give you a heads up. We're checking something off of my list today whether you like it or not. If you haven't showered, shaved, brushed and gotten dressed in less than half an hour, I  swear, I will bathe you myself. I'm going to wash your hair, scrub your body raw. The whole shebang. So chop chop."
With that he left, slamming the door.
Slowly Kyungsoo opened his eyes. He felt bad for Kris. Ever since the man's birthday, things had been a little, no that was a lie, a lot different. The following days Kris had started acting weird. Well, more than usual. He would buy Kyungsoo his favorite snacks or sweets and put them in his room for no reason. He would surprise Kyungsoo with "small" gestures like hurrying home during their school break to make pancakes for Kyungsoo to eat for lunch or leaving a steaming cup of coffee 'to go' in the kitchen, bought at campus, when Kris had class earlier than Kyungsoo. One time he had even run to the convenience store at 1 AM  because Kyungsoo had jokingly said he craved ice cream. But the worst part was that everything Kris did for him, made Kyungsoo smile and feel lo... and he hated it.
It was getting out of hand.
The small fluttering creatures that appeared in his stomach whenever Kris was around, was driving him crazy.
One last sigh and Kyungsoo left his bed with much difficulty. 

Half an hour later he had done all the things Kris had requested of him. He glumly entered the kitchen where Kris greeted him. The giant put a cup of coffee in his hand and a piece of toast with an egg in the middle in his mouth.
"Alright! Let's go shall we?"
Kris proceeded to push him out the front door, throwing a pair of shoes in his general direction. Putting down the coffee, Kyungsoo slid on his sneakers, trying not to drop his breakfast.
"Are you at least going to tell me where we're going?"
"Nope."

In silence they walked through campus and towards the nearest metro. Kyungsoo having finished his toast, suddenly went blind.

"Is this really necessary?"
He made to take off the blindfold Kris had suddenly  tied around his head.
"Humor me. We haven't done this in a very long time."
"Even so... I really feel like vetoing this."
"You can't, because you have vetoed the last few weeks, meaning you're out of vetoes, meaning you don't have a choice. Meaning, . It. Up."
"Fine. But you better be wearing clothes when I take this off or I will call the police."

Kris led him onto a train, holding him by the arm. Kyungsoo was kind of grateful he couldn't see the stares they were most likely getting.
Maybe 10 minutes of train, a small walk, another train and another walk and Kyungsoo was met with the chilly late autumn, early winter breeze. Walking for a bit, Kyungsoo's curiosity got the better of him.
"Seriously Kris. Can I take this off now?"
"Just a little while more..."
They walked up a few steps before what sounded like a door opening, tickled his ears.
It wasn't cold anymore but nice and warm.
"Okay. Now you can take it off."
"Finally! Kris... What..."
His eyes were still adjusting to the light but he could easily recognize his own home. He swallowed deeply before turning around, making for the door. He wasn't quick enough. Kris was blocking his way with his massive body.

"Move."
"No."
"I can't believe you did this. What the hell Kris?! You think you can just meddle with other people's lives?"
"Just..."
"Kris? It that you... Kyungsoo..."
"Hi, miss Do."
"Hi... What is going on here?"
Kyungsoo looked perplexed from his mother to Kris. Why did his mom know Kris? What was happening?
"I'll... Let you guys talk."
The blond man took hold of the doorknob.
"Oh and Kyungsoo. If I find out you ran away from this, ignoring the important things once again, I'm going to kick your . For real. That goes for you too miss Do. Okay, have fun now."


Kris was quickly out the door.
 Once out the house, he took a deep breath, closing his eyes.  He was already starting to regret his decision of a family reunion in the Do residence. Especially after the last couple of weeks. He had thought that things had been going great between the two of them but then out of nowhere, Kyungsoo changed. He started spending more time in his room instead of with Kris. At night he would even sneak out of his room, not coming home until very late. Kris would lie awake the entire time, wondering where his friend was going but never daring to ask. They didn't eat breakfast together anymore because Kyungsoo didn't get out of bed until last minute, skipping the meal entirely and when dinner came around, Kyungsoo had prepared something for Kris to eat but always alone.
Kris was at wits end. He had tried talking to him but Kyungsoo would always ignore his questions or simply tell him he didn't have time for it.
It . Also Kris was having a hard time keeping up with his promise of making Kyungsoo smile at least once a day.
There was really only one thing he could do for Kyungsoo and that was getting him and his mother to make up with each other.
Ever since he had sent the first message to his mother, they had texted back and forth. Then phone calls until she had requested to see him face to face. Kris had been quite hesitant to do so but somehow he had ended up outside Kyungsoo's home. Their first meeting had been all kinds of awkward. At least until the end where they changed the subject away from Kyungsoo. He told her about himself and vice versa. The next time they met, they became even closer. Kris tried bringing up Kyungsoo again but she didn't want to force her son to see her. Not after what she had done. Unless Kyungsoo wanted to come to her out of free will, she didn't want Kris to interfere with the matter.
Oops.
Anyway. What's done is done, Kris thought as he got off the train heading for work.
"Kris!" Kris turned towards the voice.
"Ah. Tao. Ready for work?"
Kris and Tao had become good friends lately. So when the boy had turned to him for help with paying rent, Kris had referenced him to his own employee. One look from the manager and Tao was hired.
Now that Kyungsoo was ignoring him, it gave Kris time for his other friends. He regularly hung out with both Joonmyun and Tao. Also TCA met up more frequently.
"I am! I just hope I don't drop anything today. Jongin scolded me last time." The man then pouted before breaking into a smile again.
"Want to come over for a beer with me and Lay after we close up?"
"Sorry. I think I need to be home tonight. And you don't drink alcohol."
"Meh. Never mind."
Tao had completely changed after leaving his father. He wasn't gloomy anymore, far from it. He was one big ball of sunshine. Kris loved it.
"Finally here, are you?" Jongin looked at the wall clock.
"5 minutes late. You should've learned to be on time by now, Kris. Hi Tao."
"Oh hi Jongin!"
"Wha?...Sorry," Kris mumbled.
"Whatever. Table 7. Now."
Jongin and him didn't get along very well. Only Kris had no idea why. He was well-liked by their clientele, was a great waiter, he looked stunning in light blue, so why did Jongin give him such a hard time? It was starting to get to him. Kris was afraid he might snap. And soon.
 

"So. You and Kris know each other?"
"Yes."
Kyungsoo walked back and forth in the main hall, considering whether running away was worth the kicking Kris had threatened him with.
"How?"
"He sent me a message."
"I'm gonna kill him."
"Kyungsoo don't say..."
"Did you put him up to this?"
His mother defensively crossed her arms.
"I had no idea. I told him to stay out of it."
"Well good job there."
A heavy silence started spreading.
Kyungsoo had no clue what to say. He just knew his mind was telling him to run.
"So what now? You gonna make me go apologize to Krystal's mom or perhaps even to Krystal herself? Still want us to 'work things out'?  Tell me, mother. Are you going to hit me again?"
"Stop it."
"Why? I deserved it didn't I? Going against your wishes of a happily ever after with a who doesn't give two s about me?"
"Kyungsoo."
"Why is it my fault?! Why do I have to take the blame for everything?!" Kyungsoo bit his lip, trying to will away the tears pooling in his eyes.
"It's not my fault! It's not my fault. It's not... my. Fault... GET OFF ME!"
Slender arms were embracing him, hugging him tight. He halfheartedly tried fighting her off but caved in the end, wrapping his arms around his tiny mother. 
"It's not your fault Kyungsoo. It's not. And I'm so, so sorry, honey. For everything. I should've listened to you. I should've been there for you. I'm so sorry."
Kyungsoo tightly closed his eyes, hiding his face in the crook of her neck, letting it all out. It felt so liberating letting it all go. He felt a little lighter for every tear that escaped his eyes.


"... And so he went to get a tattoo in the belief it would get him laid."
"Mom!"
"Aah come on Soo. We're both adults here."
Kyungsoo laughed.
"So that's how Kris got his first tattoo? Man, that guy is gullible."
"Yep. I kinda like him though."
"Yeah... Me too."
Kyungsoo sighed. When the tears had seized, the both of them had ended up laughing. His mother had forced him down on the couch while she went into the kitchen for tea, biscuits and Kleenex. They were slowly catching up when the talk had landed on Kris.
"That Kris is one handsome kid."
"Mom. Don't be gross."
"I'm just saying!"
She playfully nudged his shoulder, smiling warmly.
"You know. He really cares about you. Whenever your name was mentioned, he smiled. He actually smiled at the thought of you. It was kind of weird in the beginning but now I find it endearing. Is he... You know... You know...?"
Kyungsoo scoffed.
"I've been asking myself that question for a very long time now. But... He says he isn't."
"Huh. Could've fooled me."
"He's just a... genuinely good guy."
Kyungsoo reached out for his tea before changing his mind.
"Mom? I missed you."
"Oh honey. I missed you too."
He took a deep breath.
"I'm sorry for leaving like that. Just like dad. It was just all too much. I thought that I was going to spend the rest of my life with Krystal when... everything turned to the worse. I just... I just wish I'd never met her."
"Don't say that Kyungsoo. Even if you try and deny it, Krystal was good for you. She opened up your heart a little."
"Don't be cheesy mom."
"I'm serious. Also, had it not been for her, you wouldn't have gone to Canada. You wouldn't have... made that list of yours. And you certainly wouldn't have met Kris."
"... You know about the... the list?"
"Kris told me about that deal the two of you made, about doing things the other wanted to do?"
Kyungsoo looked down at his hands, feeling ashamed.
"Did you really attend a wedding in order to break up the couple?"
"...Sorry."
His mother erupted in a high-pitched laugh. That. Was unexpected.
"Aah Kyungsoo. I swear, I did not believe Kris when he told me that story and then how he saved their love from you. I tell you, it was almost as preposterous as the story of how Kris had turned you gay."
"Wow... You've talked a lot."
"Oh yes. But you're not?"
Kyungsoo smiled.
"I'm not."
"Because if you are, I'm completely okay with it. Especially if it's Kris..."
"Mom!"
"He's good for you."
"You said that about Krystal as well!"
"She was!"
They ended up in a heated staring match until both broke out in laughter.
"Fine. I give. Krystal is a ."
Kyungsoo gave his mother an incredulous look. Had his mother just called Krystal a ?
"Don't look at me like that Do Kyungsoo. You said it yourself. Besides she's dating someone else now... I mean..."
His heart skipped a beat. 
"That was ... fast."
"Are you okay?"
"Yeah. Sure. Do you know who?"
"Some dancer guy from your school. Timon, Taeyang,,."
Taemin. Kyungsoo recalled seeing the two hug. He remembered the way she had smiled at the guy. She had said she wasn't in love with him. Yeah right.
"Good for her."
The were both quiet for a while.
"...Want to bake cinnamon rolls?" his mother asked.
Kyungsoo smiled as he rose to his feet, taking his mother by the hand.
"How about chocolate croissants?"
 

"You're sure you don't want to sleep here tonight? It's pretty late."
It was almost 11 PM when Kyungsoo and his mother once again stood in the doorway.
"I'm sure. There's something I gotta do."
"Okay."
His mother hugged him closely.
"Say thanks to Kris from me and...  I love you Kyungsoo honey."
"... You too Mom. See you."

With determinate steps Kyungsoo hurried through the dark streets of Seoul, hugging his jacket close to his body. He had to hurry or his friend might already be asleep. Running to the apartment, Kyungsoo saw the lights were already out. Fishing out his key he silently unlocked the door and let himself in. He tiptoed through the place, silently sitting down on the bed. Kyungsoo's heart was racing as he reached a hand down to move a stray hair away from the sleeping man's face. Taking a final deep breath, he gently grabbed him by the shoulder, lightly shaking him awake.


 

 

"Baekhyun?"


A/N
This was a bit rushed, sorry about that.
November wasn't an easy month for poor Kyungsoo. But at least now he has his mom back.
Will the same for Baekhyun? Will Kris snap at Jongin?
You'll know next chapter :D