I Lo...

Of Airplanes, Lists and Break-ups

Chapter 68

"Baekhyun. Slow down will you?"

Baekhyun didn't bother listening to Chanyeol's plea.
Anger fumed out both his ears as he in long angry strides made for his apartment.
How could Kyungsoo be so stupid?!

Seriously?!
Going back to that awful human being, after all the she had put him through? What was wrong with him? Did he have some masochistic wish of hurting all over again? Breaking. All over again? Forgetting... again.
Baekhyun did not want to be forgotten again.
Pushed away from Do Kyungsoo again.
No.
Had it not been for Chanyeol, Baekhyun had no idea the state he'd be in today. Losing Kyungsoo had taken its toll on both his body and mind. Ever since that one night Baekhyun had found himself pushed against the wall with Kyungsoo pressed against him, something had changed.
Things were different.
Between them.
And inside himself.

Baekhyun had never had a girlfriend.
Girls were pretty. Pretty in their dresses and with their long hair.
Pretty.

But none as beautiful as Do Kyungsoo.

What was he thinking.
Kyungsoo was his friend, not to mention male.
He just couldn't help it.

It had been enough being a good friend to him.
It had even been easy to push back any unwelcome emotion and just happily watch Kyungsoo fall in love with someone else.
And now it was happening all over again.

'Krystal.'

Baekhyun came to an immediate stop. Clenching his fists tight, he let out a frustrated growl.
She was evil.
A malignant snake, seducing his friend into swallowing yet another bite of the forbidden fruit.  
But she was a girl.
Baekhyun. Was not.

"Hey, Baekie. You okay?"

Baekhyun felt a hand press down on his shoulder. The weight felt comforting.
Without a word he turned around and hid his face in Chanyeol's broad chest. Tears of frustration started to blur his vision as Chanyeol put his arms around him.

"Please don't cry. You know I can't... I don't... know what to do..."
"Sorry..."
"No. I mean... Let's get you home."

The tall man let go of him only to kneel in front of Baekhyun.

"Hop on."
"You don't have to carry me."
"I know. But this seems to be the only way to keep up with you."

Thankful, Baekhyun put his arms around his goofy giant's neck and let himself be hoisted up.


"He is such an idiot."

They were back in his shoebox apartment. They lay on his narrow bed, staring up at the ceiling.

"Who? Kyungie?"
"Who else? Going back to that woman? He must be crazy for letting her back into his life."

Chanyeol stirred next to him.

"Baekie... You're not... are you?"
"What?"
"... You know... You.. You don't have feelings for Kyungsoo... Do you?"
"What? No! ... Of course not. He's my best friend and... I just don't want to see him hurt."
"...I'm not your best friend?"
"Seriously Chanyeol. You can't be everyone's best friend."
"But that's exactly what I am. I'm Kyungsoo's best friend and I'm yours. Just think about it. Who has always been the one to cheer you up when you were down? Not Kyungsoo. That was me. Ergo I'm your best friend."

Baekhyun guessed that made sense...

"...Why did Kyungsoo kiss you?"
"I don't want to talk about it."
"I'm just trying to understand why you're taking this so hard. Kyungsoo is an idiot for taking her back but he's a big boy. If she makes him happy then we should support him. Shouldn't we?"
"He's not happy."
"How do you know?"
"Because! ... I know Kyungsoo. I'm sure he wouldn't go back to her unless he was forced or... wanted payback..." 
"Yeah. That does sound like something he would do. But can you really blame him?"
"I guess not. I just don't want him to push me... us, away again."
"That's understandable. Boy were you in the dumps."
"... Thanks. Best friend."
Baekhyun elbowed Chanyeol in the side, earning a satisfying gasp.

"Yah!"

Both men rolled onto their sides. Facing each other, completely unprovoked they started girl fighting, slapping at each other with both hands while trying not to get hit in the face.
Baekhyun managed to get Chanyeol's nose, earning yet another howl from the giant.
"Baekhyun!"
"You started it!"
"You did!"
"You did!"

Glaring each other in the eye the two boys broke out laughing.

"You know... It's okay. Baekie."
"Huh?"
"Liking guys."
"For the last time. I am not in love with Kyungsoo!"
"I'm just saying. It's nothing to be embarrassed about. I realize I'm not too happy about the idea of two guys together but... You love who you love right? No one can tell you that's wrong."
"... Thanks Chanyeol. But I'm... I'm not...that."
"Okay. I just wanted you to know that. And that you can talk to me about anything. Alright?"
"Alright."
Baekhyun watched as his friends rolled onto his back again, arms resting behind his head.

"Besides. I'd much rather see you and Kyungsoo skipping along a rainbow all happy-sappy than seeing her smug face ever again."

Baekhyun scoffed once before slapping his best friend one more time, just for good measure.


A week went by with Baekhyun ignoring Kyungsoo's calls and attempts to talk to him at school. He was still pissed.
Or maybe he just didn't want to hear Kyungsoo confess his love for Krystal yet another time.

'... You know... You.. You don't have feelings for Kyungsoo... Do you?'

Chanyeol's words still rang in his head.

' You love who you love right? No one can tell you that's wrong.'

Baekhyun grabbed his pillow hiding his face as he lay in bed Sunday morning, not having been able to fall asleep last night.
Baekhyun wasn't gay...

Yeah, Baekhyun was pretty sure he wasn't.
But... He wasn't straight either.

When he had reached his teenage years he had taken himself in looking at boys passing on the street, in class or wherever. He knew it was wrong so whenever he caught himself in appraising another guy, he would immediately turn his gaze to any female he could. Were it pretty noona or a  heavy set elephant didn't matter. As long as it had it was a hundred times better to look at than another boy..
In high school the urge to look at other boys became dormant but in college the urge came back like a slap in the face.
Baekhyun started keeping more to himself, shying away from his classmates and focused all his energy on studying. He lived alone, having moved out of his parents' house, away from the screaming.
He was lonely. Of course he had Chanyeol and Kyungsoo but Chanyeol was always busy studying as well and Kyungsoo spent all his time either working or with Krystal. That's why when Kyungsoo had  moved in with him, Baekhyun had been so excited to not live on his own anymore.
Only... it became very difficult to separate normal skinship from physical attraction.   
Sleeping in the same bed, arms around each others' waist so neither would fall out... Was nice. It was... easily the highlight of Baekhyun's day, falling asleep next to Kyungsoo, even if he one night came home smelling of booze and perfume. And then the next and the next and... It's not that Baekhyun was jealous... He just didn't like the thought of his friend around. What would people say?

"Baekhyun?!"

There was an insisting knocking on his door.

"Baekhyun I know you're in there."

Baekhyun clenched his fists. Annoyance spread throughout his body.
Suddenly the tables had turned.
Baekhyun was the one who ignored Kyungsoo.
And Kyungsoo was the one desperate to talk.

"Baekhyun! I still have my old key. If you don't let me in, I'll let myself in!"
"You don't live here anymore! It would be trespassing!"
"What you gonna do? Call the cops on me? Come on Baekhyun. I just wanna talk."
"I don't want to talk to you!"

The shouting and knocking stopped instantly.
Baekhyun sat up, listening intently for Kyungsoo. Had he just gone? Given up?
What a friend.

"...Look. I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I was embarrassed and...Baekhyun. I'm not here for your approval. I just need you to understand. So will you please just... willingly open the door?"

He shouldn't give in.
But... after all. It was Kyungsoo.
How could Baekhyun stay mad at him?
And so Baekhyun got out of bed and went to open the door, to the sight of a deep frown on Kyungsoo's usually smooth forehead.

"..Hi. Baek."
"Say what you have to say and then leave."

The beautiful man bit his lip, looking down.

"You're not inviting me in?"
"No."
"... Okay. Er...Well, my entire world evolved around.. 'her'. 5 years straight. And I thought... it would go on for... the rest of our lives. I was.. I was gonna propose. In Canada."

Baekhyun's heart fell.
That was the first he'd heard about that.

"... You... What?"
"Yeah. So when things fell through of course I was... pretty devastated. I couldn't deal with being left. Again."
"Again?"
"Right. I never told you... My dad left us when I was a kid. It took quite the toll on me."
"I'm so sorry to hear that... Come here."

Baekhyun pulled Kyungsoo into a hug, moving him inside.

"Thank you. But that's not the point. The point is... I held a grudge against him all this time and last year I found out he had died. And the reason he had left was because he wanted to spare me from the hurt... but anyway. I... I'm not in love with her. And I know I should be better than this but... seeing her again and after that whole deal with Kris, I just..."
"What deal?"
"... I didn't tell you that either. Right. I slept with Kris. That's actually what I was going to tell you on my birthday but Chanyeol kept interrupting me and.."
"WHAT?"
"... Kinda like you're doing now."
"Hold on! You had... with the tall, dumb blond, Chinese-Canadian with no sense of situation and who also just happens to be your roommate oh and did I forget to mention the owner of a male appendix?!"

Kyungsoo gave him a judging stare, much like the one plastered on his own.

"...What's your point?"
"He's a guy!"
"You and I almost did it."
"Yeah but... That was different."
"How so?"
"I don't know?! It... It just is!"
"I think I'm in love with him, Baekhyun."

Time stood still as Baekhyun felt the cold sting of jealousy punch him in the face, rendering him speechless.

"... Baekhyun?"
"...You're gay?"
"No. I just... Maybe? A little bit?"
"Wow. Okay...Get out."
"What?"
"I want you out of my apartment. Right now."
"Baekhyun, I'm still me. It's not like I'm gonna fall in love with you or anything."
"OUT!"   

As Baekhyun pushed Kyungsoo out again, just before shutting the door in his face, Baekhyun couldn't stop himself from uttering an awful word he regretted the moment it had fallen from his lips.

"."

 

"Are you awake?"

A new morning was slowly greeting the two tired boys who lay cuddled up next to each other. Kris couldn't help but caress Kyungsoo's messy bed-hair, now and then softly tugging on it. As the smaller male came to, Kris earned a content smile from his boyfriend as he slowly stretched his smooth body.

"Morning.. Handsome."

An embarrassed scoff escaped Kris's lips even though he inside was squealing from joy. Kyungsoo thought he was handsome! 

"... Morning. Kyungie. I mean Soo? ... Kyungiepooh?"
"No."

Yeah.. Maybe it was too soon with nicknames but in all honesty, Kris would love to have a pet name for Kyungsoo. Something only he could call him, like the way Mamma D.O. called Kyungsoo... Kyungiepooh... Okay no Kyungiepooh but you get the drift.

"Then how about... SooSoo?"
"I already have a name. It's Kyungsoo if you've forgotten during the night."
"But... Doesn't couples have cute names for each other?"
"I guess? But those are usually also the relationships that implode the quickest."

Kris made a slight pout.

"Okay..."

The smaller man sighed at the pouting before he let out a small whine and hid his face in the crook of Kris's neck.

"Aish. Fine you man-child. Then what should I call you? Fannie?"
"I don't like that."
"Why? It's sort of... cute."
"Yeah. It also means in English."
"...I don't see the problem."
"Yah!"
"I'm kidding, I'm kidding! Then what would you like me to call you?"

'Sweetie, Baby, Dear, Darling... Mon Amor? Krissy?' 

"You know... I Haven't really thought about it that much... Maybe it's just something that should come natural along the way."
"I second that. And if it proves impossible to come up with one I can always just keep calling you 고래."
"고래?! I am not a whale!"
"What? It's... endearing. Really."
"Oh really? Then I'm going to call you... 소소."(SoSo)
"Hey! I do not want to be referred to as a small cow!"
"Either that... Or Midget, midget."
"Veto! Veto, veto, veto!!"

Kris started laughing as his adorable Kyungsoo balled his tiny hands into fists and pounded at Kris's broad chest. When the punches began to hurt, Kris responded by grapping Kyungsoo's arms and pulled them over his head, holding them in place.

"Speaking of veto... I'm pretty sure you're completely out of them which is why you won't be able to decline my next request."

The squirming man underneath him let out a frustrated  noise as he tried to free himself from Kris's titan grip.

"I told you! I am not going horseback riding with you!"  
"I'm afraid you don't have a say in the matter. But that's not the case."

Kyungsoo stopped struggling.

"It's not?"
"No. What I want... What I really want... Is to go on a date. This time just you and me. Perhaps a nice dinner and... Holding hands... In public."
"Kris... this is Korea."
"I know... But why should we have to hide the fact that we are together? I mean, why is it so wrong for me to show the world that I lo..hhh... Lllliiiike. Like. Another guy?"

That was awkward.
Kris had almost just proclaimed his love for Kyungsoo without a second thought. Obviously it was too soon to confess his love right? Sure they were officially dating now but it would be wrong to say the L word already. Wouldn't it?
At least Kyungsoo didn't seem to notice his small slip of the tongue as the smaller male started painting figure eights on Kris's bare chest.

"Would it really mean that much to you?"
"... It would."
"Okay."
"Okay?"
"Yeah. Let's go get our asses kicked."

Kris snuggled closer to Kyungsoo, shyly caressing his cheek before planting a morning kiss on Kyungsoo's swollen lips.

"Not to worry. I'll protect you... 소 Baby..."
"No."
"Fine!"


It was difficult finding a date they were both free to go out, each having to either work or study. Also the concert was just around the corner which meant that Kyungsoo was busier than ever what with only  three weeks left to practice. Kyungsoo had started counting the days, excitement spreading through his entire body for everyday that passed. His moment to shine was getting immensely close. Who knew. Perhaps he would even get scouted and offered to play for a living! It was nerve-wrecking but not as nerve-wrecking as getting ready for his date with Kris. It was Saturday evening when Kyungsoo stood in front of his closet, inspecting his few stacks of clothes. This just happened to be the first time Kyungsoo had ever felt he didn't own a decent outfit to wear. The first time ever he had no idea what to put on. Usually Kyungsoo would just pick whatever was clean and... black but here he was actually making a fuss over what Kris would think suited him best.
After just looking at his closet for 15 minutes in the hope that if he  stared long and hard enough new clothes would magically appear, Kyungsoo reached into his wardrobe for a white shirt. His only white shirt for that matter. Maybe if he paired it with... He could also... Or should he wear black instead?
Kyungsoo sighed out loud. Why was this so damn difficult?
In the end he ended up wearing the white shirt, tucked into black skinny jeans.
Looking into his mirror he huffed a puff of air at the sight before grabbing a bottle of newly bought hair-gel, slicking his hair back. Deeming his look 'alright', Kyungsoo was about to step out of his room when he quickly returned to the mirror to the first two buttons. Sighing one last time he opened the door and went into the living-room where a surprise awaited him.
Kris stood tripping in a grey t-shirt, black jeans and  a nervous smile.

"Hi..."

Kyungsoo didn't realize it when he suddenly gave Kris the elevator look.

"... Your hair..."

The giant automatically reached for his now pitch-black locks, rubbing it between his fingers.

"You don't like it...?"

The disappointment in Kris's voice was evident as the whale avoided Kyungsoo's eyes, staring at the floor. It made Kyungsoo smile.
It was definitely a sudden change but...  a nice one. The dark hair possibly made Kris look even more handsome. He exuded a certain maturity that Kyungsoo found extremely attractive. Also this must have been the first time in history Kris had been the one waiting for Kyungsoo to finish getting dressed.   

"I do. It's much better than the blond hair. But why did you change it?"
"Well... The only reason I dyed it in the first place was because of my ex and... Mark. I never wanted to change who I was but... Love does something to you. Something, impossible to fight."

Kyungsoo's heart skipped a beat at the mention of love, making him want to just spill the words he had kept inside for too long.

"I changed in order to be with Kim. But ... That's not right. This is me. Without the... elaborate outfits or bottled blond hair. I trust that... You like me for me. For who I am... On the inside."

Kris cringed, awkwardly rubbing his neck.

"Aish! I'm being so cheesy!"

Kyungsoo could only agree but neither could he keep a small laugh from escaping.

"Kris. You're so cute. I lo..."

'...Love me cause I'm hot.
They love me cause I'm cold...
'  

Without hesitation, Kris answered his ringing phone not seeming to notice Kyungsoo's almost confession.

'Close one Kyungsoo.'

"Yes? Joonmyun! Hi. What? Oh no sorry I can't. Why?"

Kris shyly shifted his eyes to Kyungsoo.

"I'm... I'm going on a date. My boyfriend of course. No I don't mean girlfriend. Who?... It's Kyungsoo."

Kris quickly hung up the moment he had uttered Kyungsoo's name. Blushing slightly, Kris put away his phone before turning on his heel, heading for the front door.

"Well, let's go shall we?"

Kyungsoo laughed out loud at Kris's poor attempt of putting on his shoes as if he hadn't just addressed to Kyungsoo as his boyfriend.
                       
They entered a nice restaurant Minseok had recommended to Kyungsoo a while back. It was a quaint little place Minseok had discovered when Luhan had tagged him along on one of his many attempts of making Minseok fall for him.
They were shown to a table by a cute waitress. Kyungsoo was very aware of the fact that the girl did her very best not to look at Kris's and his intertwined hands. He was kind of thankful for that but he also found he wouldn't mind her asking whether they were more than just 'close friends'. The place was full of young people out on dates and friends meeting up over a nice meal.
Their table was placed by one of the panorama windows that allowed them to look out  at the passing crowd clutching their coats closer while wishing for spring to hurry up and get there.
Kyungsoo couldn't stop staring at Kris as the dark haired beauty studied the menu. It was weird seeing Kris like this. No earring dangled from his soft earlobe anymore. All his ear piercings were gone and his hair looked strangely healthy for once. Kris looked almost... Grown up. It saddened him a little bit.

"Uh! Kyungsoo! They have strawberry shortcake! Can we eat dessert first? Pleeeease?"

... Yeah Kris was nowhere near being a grown up Kyungsoo mussed to himself as Kris pulled on his shirt sleeve for attention.

"You're such a baby."
"Does that mean no?"
"It means..."

Kyungsoo took his hand in his own, smiling sweetly at the overgrown child in front of him.

"Whatever you want."

"Uh yay! Waitress!"

For dinner the couple had a pretty decent strawberry shortcake for appetizer that Kyungsoo had to admit was almost as good as his own. As their main course Kyungsoo had spaghetti Carbonara while Kris ordered the lasagna. He also took to order the French fries from the children's menu because of a sudden craving. For their last course they shared the house's ice cream dessert. It reminded Kyungsoo of their first time at the '1st Shop of Coffee Prince' and how they had fooled around, eating ice cream from each others' spoon. Kyungsoo blushed as he recalled how Kris shamelessly  had called him 'Oppa'. It made Kyungsoo wonder how long he really had harbored feelings for his silly giant.
Far longer than he cared to admit.


Kris was enjoying himself to the fullest. Kyungsoo paid only attention to him and didn't seem to care about people staring from time to time when Kris tried to force-feed him from his plate. In fact Kyungsoo seemed more than willing to indulge him. It almost made him want to try forcing the smaller man into another couple tee. Well. Almost. Kris didn't want to try his luck after all. Just being on a real date with Kyungsoo was way more than he could ask.
 After the last spoonful of ice cream was gone and Kris had leisurely the rim of the bowl, Kris asked for the check. When the nice waitress came with the bill both guys pulled out their wallets.

"Put that away Kyungsoo. I'm paying."
"What? No. I got this one."
"Don't be silly. I asked you out. Remember?"  
"As I recall you didn't as much ask me as force me."
"That still means I was the one who took you out, not the other way around."

A good two minutes went in silence as both males had a menacing staring contest going on. Kyungsoo finally giving in, put away his wallet, stood up and went to stand next to Kris.

"Fine. Then... Thanks for dinner. Hyung."

Before Kris knew it, his face was beet-red as Kyungsoo leaned down to give him a sweet peck on the cheek. The tiny man giggled as he stood up straight and headed for the exit. Kris couldn't help following Kyungsoo with his eyes. Man, that guy looked crazy gorgeous in white... There was a low whispering all around him, he noticed as his gaze fell on the surrounding tables. People were watching him, looking at him with their judging eyes and contempt. Swallowing once he moved to leave the same way as Kyungsoo. Wow. Homouality really was frowned upon here in Korea. When he caught up to Kyungsoo, the guy was already pulling down on the door handle.

"In a hurry, are we?"
"Maybe? It's 10 PM. Way passed our bedtime."

Kris smirked as he moved closer to Kyungsoo. Subtly Kris looked around them before deeming it safe to steal a quick kiss from Kyungsoo's plush lips.

"Then what are we waiting for? Lead the way... Soo-yah."

Kyungsoo pushed the door open with a smile. One step outside and Kyungsoo took hold of Kris's wrist.

"Your jacket..."

Oh right. His jacket... Still hanging on the back of his chair. Dang it!

"Nah. Screw it."

Kyungsoo raised his eyebrow at him, giving him a 'who are you kidding' look.                 

"... I'll be right back."

Kris hurried back into the restaurant, leaving Kyungsoo on the street.
When the waitress noticed him, Kris sheepishly pointed to his left-behind jacket, dodging any of the curious stares. Reaching for his coat he caught a glimpse of Kyungsoo from out the large windows. For some reason he seemed really tense... That's when Kris noticed the slim frames of five men slowly ganging up on Kyungsoo. Kris held his breath as the leader of the group entered the circle with Kyungsoo. He looked somewhat familiar but Kris couldn't place him anywhere in his memory. Who were they? And what were they do...
For a moment, time went in slowmotion as Kris watched Kyungsoo go down. One of the men had kicked him from behind  before the leader had pounced at him, kneeing him in the abdomen.

"YAH!"

Kris raised his hand, banging it hard against the glass. Without thinking, he hurried out of the restaurant and  into the street, punching the first guy that met his fist. All he saw was red as anger took control of his entire body, swinging different limps at anyone who dared approach him. As the other men seemed to back off, Kris reached the middle where his Kyungsoo lay on the ground, covered in angry-red bruises and with another man sitting on top, beating the lights out of him.

"Kyung... Soo..."  

Disbelief filled his mind before he angrily took hold of the offender's collar, effectively throwing him off of Kyungsoo. But before he could get to Kyungsoo, the leader had got back on his feet kicking Kris hard in the back. Trying his best to ignore the pain, Kris turned  his attention back towards the culprit.

"Don't. Get in my way. Or I will kill you."
"Yeah? Think again. It's 5 against one, dude."
"Yes. You should have brought more guys."

Without a second thought, Kris launched himself towards the boy, punching him hard in the face before kicking another in the stomach. Someone grabbed his left arm, but Kris shook him off with ease, landing another punch. At some point during the fight, Kris lost his balance for a second, stepping backwards. He must have stumbled upon a rock or the like because before he knew he lost balance again. When he heard Kyungsoo yell out a small cry, Kris quickly turned his attention to the sound, earning a busted lip from one of the guys. Kris fell down right next to Kyungsoo, earning a few kicks before the group ran off.

"Ky... Kyungsoo.."

The last Kris remembered before passing out was a pained expression on Kyungsoo's beautiful face.


When Kris awoke, he was lying in a hospital bed. He didn't know how he had ended up in there but he didn't care. As soon as his head stopped spinning, Kris flew out of bed yelling out Kyungsoo's name. Running in circles for a good ten minutes he finally got hold of a nurse who knew which room Do Kyungsoo was in. Half running, Kris entered Kyungsoo's room.

"Kyungsoo!"

He found the small man awake but covered in bruises and with a far off look on his face.

"... Kyungsoo. Hi."

The small man broke out of his trance, shifting his gaze towards Kris, a subtle smile on his lips.

"Get out."
"...What?"
"Just. Please leave Kris. Just leave me alone."

There was nothing at all to indicate Kyungsoo being angry or mad at him. His voice was calm, his expression sincere. Only the small man's choice of words told Kris not to get any closer.
Taken aback, Kris's heart stopped beating for a moment.

"... I don't... I don't understand."
"You don't have to. You just have to leave."

Stunned, Kris left out the door.
Not sure whether the pain he felt was from the punches received...
Or his heart breaking. 


A/N 
This was a pain in the to write! And probably was a pain to read as well -.-' sorry for the long one. I know there are a lot of unnecessary scenes and etc but there you go. 
I'm sorry that you had to wait so long but I've been struggling with this chapter for so long that in the end I just said it and wrote whatever so I could somehow lead you to the next storyline. 
I haven't started on the next chapter yet so  it might be a little while again :) 
Oh! And also! My xiuhan fic is out if you would like to give it a try 8) It's called "The Daffodil Principle." please give it a read if you find the time and like the pairing! 
There I'm done rambling. 
See you ^^