No One Takes My Spot

Of Airplanes, Lists and Break-ups

Chapter 57

"Kyungsoo, I really have to get back to work."
Kris tried to stand up but was quickly forced back into his seat. He was feeling really uncomfortable and very much out of place. To make matters worse, that Chanyeol dude kept staring at him and not in a friendly way, although thinking about it, that would also have been very creepy.
Baekhyun was completely ignoring him which he didn't blame him for. Kris hadn't been thinking when the words had just come flying out of his mouth.

More over.

What the heck was up with Kyungsoo?

After leaving him at his mother's place yesterday, he hadn't heard a word from him. He had assumed he had stayed with his mom but Kris had lied awake either way, worried out of his mind. He could at least have called. Or come home happy or angry, not just forget about him and suddenly out of nowhere show up when he's working, introducing him to his friends, all smiles and hyper.
Kris knew he shouldn't be bothered but he had kind of hoped Kyungsoo would've come home yesterday. Maybe thrown himself in Kris's arms... perhaps even crying a little bit... Out of happiness of course. He would thank him over and over until their eyes would meet for just a fleeting moment. Then Kyungsoo would slowly lean in, caress Kris's cheek with a gentle hand while whispering 'I...  I lov... Whoah! No. No no no!
With one swift motion, Kris pushed himself out from the table, frantically shaking his head when his chair tipped backwards.

"Kris? You okay?" Kyungsoo stood hovering above him, an eyebrow raised.
"Ouch."
"Don't move. I'll get you an icepack."
"I'll come with." Baekhyun quickly ran after Kyungsoo, entering the kitchen.

Now it was just Kris, awkwardly lying on the floor with a backrest poking into his shoulders and that creepy Chanyeol dude.
'Oh no. Don't come near me!'
Evil eyes took hold of Kris's chair, lifting it and Kris up. Without a word he sat down again, folding his hands while scrutinizing him. Kris did not like this. Not. One. Bit.

"Thank you? I guess?"
"How good of a friend are you to Kyungsoo?"
"Well... ahm... good? Ish... More than average?"
"No. You're not. I. Am his BEST. Best. Friend. I've known him since we were kids. You've known him for...?"
"Three months.. give or take?"
"Exactly. You do not just swoop in out of nowhere and take my spot. No one does and no one can."
"I'm not trying to take your... 'spot'. Kyungsoo is just really nice and I love having him around."
"... Nice? Kyungsoo is just nice? Oh boy."
Chanyeol picked up a French fry, throwing it at Kris's face. And then another. And another. Until the plate was almost empty. Kris was biting his lip, chanting 'He is Kyungsoo's  best friend. I will not break his skull.  He is Kyungsoo's best...'

"Would you stop that?!"
"No."
Chanyeol threw one last fry before leaning in.
"I don't know how you did it or why you feel like it is your job to make Kyungsoo feel better but I tell you this. From this day on, until I know you're not going to hurt him. Until I trust you even the slightest. I am going to watch your every move and if I get even the smallest trace of doubt of you being a bad influence, I will cut you out of his life before you can say hotpot. I gotz mah eye on you."
Kris's mouth fell open. Talk about being overprotective.
"So... What you're saying is... I can't be friends with him?"
"No no. Kyungsoo is a big boy. He can befriend whoever the hell he wants too. I'm just saying that right now, he isn't exactly stable. What I'm trying to get at is that from now on, you're on probation, mate. Now straighten up, laugh and pretend we're making friends. Kyungsoo, Baek! You're back."
They took their seats. Kyungsoo handed Kris an icepack before turning to his fries.
"Who ate all my fries?"
Kris was about to open his mouth when the other giant cut him off.
"It was Kris!"
Kyungsoo turned his head to look at a wide-eyed blond man. 
"Yeah. He suddenly just started throwing them at me. I don't know, man. Your friend is kinda weird. Right, Kris?"
'You will not break his skull. You will not break his skull.'
"I guess I... Thought... It would be... Fun?" Kris took a deep breath before continuing.
"So yeah. I'm just being weird."
Kyungsoo gave him a strange look before breaking into a smile. He picked up a French fry from his plate and threw it at Chanyeol.
"You're right. It is fun." He picked up another fry this time throwing it at Baekhyun who responded by throwing a piece of salad at Kyungsoo. Before Kris knew, the table had transformed into a food fight and yeah. It really was fun.

 

After lunch and a small clothing change, Kyungsoo spent the rest of the day with his best friends. Chanyeol kept asking about Kris which he had expected him to and Baekhyun would sit and smile while listening to them bicker at each other. At one point, Chanyeol pulled out his guitar, allowing Kyungsoo to sing again. Something he had really missed.  
Yes. Everything was back to normal.

And there was only one person he could thank for that.


Maybe it was time.
Maybe it was time to let down his guard and... stop thinking so much. Yeah, Kris was a guy but Kyungsoo was tired of ignoring his problems. Speaking to his mother had made him realize just how easy it had been to solve their differences. All they had, had to do was talk. And so it started a chain reaction in solving yet another problem, Baekhyun and ultimately Chanyeol as well. Now there was nothing to run from anymore. Well all except for one person.

It was  late, almost 2 AM when Kyungsoo came home to their shared apartment. He quickly took off his coat and shoes, heading straight for Kris's bedroom.
"Kris?" He knocked on the door but received no answer. Silently he opened the door, letting himself in. Slowly Kyungsoo approached the bed, his heart beating harder, louder with each step towards the sleeping figure. Kris looked so... Beautiful. Not able to stop himself, Kyungsoo leaned in, softly caressing the blond hair before tracing rosy lips with his thumb. He held his breath as he bent forward, now face to face with Kris. He closed his eyes with anticipation. Just an inch more and...

"Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo wake up."
When he opened his eyes, it was Chanyeol who came into view, not Kris.
"... Chanyeol? What... Nooooooooo!"
Kyungsoo turned to his side while out his disappointment. 
"Sorry buddy but there's school tomorrow. My folks won't let you sleep over."
"What time is it?"
"Like... 1:45 AM?"
"Oh. I should probably get going. Where's Baekhyun?"
"He left a couple of hours ago. Had to study. Again."
"... How long was I out?"
"4 hours. Maybe? You haven't been sleeping much have you?"
He really hadn't. Yesterday was the first time he had, had a good night's sleep. His body was exhausted.
"You have no idea."
Chanyeol walked him to the door.
"That Kris guy?"
"What about him?"
"... I'm still your best friend right? I mean, I know he's been a great help to you when I weren't and I'm really sorry about that. It's just... You've never really been one to talk about your "feelings" so I thought you were okay. But then seeing Baekhyun all messed up, it kind of feels like I chose him over you. I guess I just thought you were much stronger than him. That you could deal with it yourself when clearly Baekhyun couldn't. Little did I know that... You were even worse off."

It was weird for Kyungsoo to see his giant best friend all fidgety and serious. All he could do was  smile and punch his arm. Hard. You know, in case either of them would suddenly develop s during all this emotional turbulence.

"I understand. And I'm so happy you were there to help Baekhyun when I..." Kyungsoo sighed deeply.
"Kris really helped me a lot. We wouldn't even be talking right now if it hadn't been for him. But, he could never take your place. Chanyeol. You're my best friend."
With that he hugged him.
"And so is Baekhyun."
"But I'm your best friend, right?"
"Goodnight Chanie." With that a smiling Kyungsoo left out the front door.
"... I won't tell Baekhyun! Just say I'm your best friend!"


"Kris?"

Kyungsoo was standing outside Kris's room waiting for a response. Nothing. His dream came back to him. His hands were starting to become sticky. His heart beat louder and his mouth was completely dry. If he entered the room, Kris would be sleeping and Kyungsoo would maybe end up kissing his roommate. again. He took a deep breath before entering, already anticipating what would happen next.

Kyungsoo looked around the room. It was empty.

Disappointed, Kyungsoo closed the door, entering his own room.
Hating himself a little for hoping the dream had become reality, he got ready to go to bed. Taking off his jeans and long-sleeve, Kyungsoo put on a white cotton T-shirt, heading for the bathroom. Dejectedly he grabbed his toothbrush, brushing his teeth.

"Oh. You're home."

The bathroom door slammed open, revealing a tired looking Kris in his work clothes, shirt completely ed.    
In his surprise, Kyungsoo swallowed the mixture of toothpaste and saliva collecting in his mouth. He wanted to gag as he bent over the sink, coughing. A hand then repeatedly slapped his back, not really helping but it was the thought that counted, right?

"Sorry if I scared you."

Kris reached for his own toothbrush and side by side they stood a bit awkward, brushing their teeth. Kyungsoo dared avert his eyes to Kris in the mirror but quickly looked away when the man noticed. He started brushing slower. There were so many things he wanted to say to Kris but the dream was still very clear in his mind, making him uncomfortable.

Kris finished up first.

"Goodnight, Kyungsoo."

"...Yeah. Goodnight."

The blond man turned to leave. Kyungsoo's heart was beating furiously in his chest when he took courage, spat in the sink and ran out.

"Kris!"

A confused look grazed his roommate's face as he turned around.

"I. What you did. My mom. Everything..." He sighed.
"Just. Thank you."
"You worked things out?"
"I certainly didn't run away."
"I'm glad."
"... Do you... Erh."
"What?"
"Do you... You must be tired. It can wait till tomorrow."
"It's okay. You wanna talk?"
"Only if it won't be a bother to you."
He received a snort from Kris who opened his bedroom door, gesturing for Kyungsoo to get in.
"Thanks. So. You met my friends. Sorry about that."
Kyungsoo sat down on Kris's bed.
"Nono. That was... an interesting experience."
Kris joined him on the bed, slipping under the covers.
"Yeah. Chanyeol can be a bit... I know you didn't throw fries at him. I mean, I know you well enough to know you don't waste food. Now, had he said you had eaten them,  that I would've believed. Anyway I hope they didn't scare you off."
"Of course not. They seem... to really care about you."
"They do. And because of you, we're friends again."
"Again?"
"Yeah you know the whole 'tried to sleep with me' thing I apparently told you about. Truth is, I may have started it and I run away. Which was even more stupid. I really missed them, my friends, my mom and  now, just by talking to them, everything's... right again. All because of you. I'm so sorry for this last month, for lying to you, for everything. Without you, I have no idea where I'd be right now."
"Wow... Okay. You were kind of a the last few weeks but... I may have acted a little strange as well."
"No , Sherlock. You were freaking me out!"
Kris laughed, as did Kyungsoo.
"So... It's December 1st. We should probably get some Christmas decorations or something."
"Uh! Can we get Christmas lights and put them all over the place?! And a Christmas tree, a Santa Clause, uh uh and stockings! Lots and lots of chocolate! And and and..."
"Whoa, big guy. Slow down. Besides when are you leaving for Canada?"
"... Sometime in June?"
"Wait. So you're not going home for Christmas?"
"Nope. I'm gonna be stuck here in Seoul the entire Christmas. All alone. With no one. Sitting here by myself. Alone. Alone."
Kyungsoo deadpanned. Kris was too obvious. Why didn't he just ask?
"Of course I could ask Joonmyun but I don't want to bother him and his family. They are so busy, all of them. Then there is TCA but I don't know..."
"... I don't suppose you want to spend Christmas with me and my mom?"       
"YES! Jeez Kyungsoo. How many hints does a guy have to drop?!"
"You know. You could've just asked."
"Then you'd only feel burdened to ask me."
"And this isn't burdensome?"
"Not as much!
Kyungsoo smiled. In one swift motion he climbed under the blanket, closing his eyes.
"Yah. What are you..."
"Neither of us have work tomorrow. Let's go buy everything after school is over."
"... Aren't you gonna sleep in your own bed?
"Too tired."
Enjoying the warmth of Kris's body, Kyungsoo drifted off to sleep with a smile on his face. 


"So what are we getting next?"
They were standing in the middle of the COEX mall in Gangnam. The place was flooded with people, making it difficult to move without bumping into anyone. They had already picked up different decorations even though Kyungsoo kept saying they could get it much cheaper elsewhere. Let's just say it had been Kris's idea to come here. Mostly because he wanted to see the aquarium, he just hadn't told Kyungsoo that yet.
"In there!"
"A bookstore?"
Kris dragged Kyungsoo into a Bandi and Luni's, heading straight for the self-help section.
"Really?"
Kyungsoo took a look at the book he had picked up.
"How to win friends & influence people? What is wrong with you?"
"It's not for me. It's a Christmas gift for Joonmyun."
"... That, actually makes sense."
The man sighed.
"I'm gonna go look for a book for my mom, okay?"
"Sure."
Finally deciding on buying the book, Kris looked around for Kyungsoo.
"Kyungsoo? Where are you?"
He must have wandered the store for 10 minutes before finding him, sitting on the ground, clutching a children's book in his hands.
"And you judged my book? 'D.O. And Beethoven Plays a Tune'? What are you, 5?"
"I... I never read this one before. Or these."
The man gestured to a few other books on floor next to him. 'D.O. Learns To Bake', 'D.O. Falls In Love' and 'D.O. Says Goodbye'.
"Erh... They're children's books?"
"I know. My dad wrote these."
Kyungsoo's dad. Kris remembered Kyungsoo's mom talking about him. Not much. Just that he left them when Kyungsoo was 5. So... pretty much, nothing.    
"Your dad?"
"They were published some years ago only... I never saw these before."
"And?"
"And... They're about me... I want to see him. I want to know why he left us. I want... I need closure."
The petit man got off of the floor. Picking up the books he made to pay for them, Kris right on his heels.


They quickly went home after that.
Kyungsoo spent the rest of the day in his room. When Kris had brought him a sandwich, the man had been searching the web, making calls to all sorts of people.
At 9 PM Kyungsoo finally emerged looking completely drained.
"Did you find an address?"
"No. They won't give it to me. They don't believe I'm his son."
"I'm sorry."
"It's okay. I guess it's for the best..."
He then just turned around, heading for his room again.
It made Kris sad to see Kyungsoo like this. Before he knew it, Kris had dialed Joonmyun.

"Joonmyun? I'm sorry for keep doing this but... I really need a favor."


"Kyungsoo? Are you awake yet?"
It was morning when Kris opened the door to Kyungsoo's room. Kyungsoo was lying in his bed, eyes wide open.
"You should probably get dressed."
"Why?"
"Thought you might want to wear pants when you meet your father."
That seemed to get his attention. Kyungsoo sat up looking confused.
"But I don't..."
"Here." Kris handed him a piece of paper with the address Joonmyun had found. Sometimes it was really convenient to have a rich friend.
"... How did you... Thank you."
The man jumped out of bed, opening his dresser.
"Good luck."
"You're not coming with?"
"I didn't think it would be appropriate..."
"Please come. I don't know if I can do it without you."
Kris's heart started beating faster. There really was nothing he wouldn't do for Do Kyungsoo.

So here they were, standing outside an old house, both hesitant to knock on the door.
"It's been... almost 15 years since I last saw him. What if he doesn't recognizes me? What if he won't talk to me? What if..."
Kris took his hand, squeezing it tight.
"You won't know unless you try, right? You can do it."
Kyungsoo nodded. Taking a deep breath he made for the door. Slowly raising his hand he gently knocked on the door.
A moment passed before an elderly man opened the door.
 

 


"Dad?"



A/N 
Surprise xD A blast from the past :p
Anyway Kyungsoo starts realizing he can't keep ignoring his feelings, maybe that'll give Kris a chance :b
Next update will be posted later this week as I have a lot on my plate right now :/
but I am really excited about next chapter! 
Please do upvote, subscribe or leave a comment :D:D