Christmas

Of Airplanes, Lists and Break-ups

Chapter 60     

December 24th came around.
Some days earlier, Kyungsoo had been to the first meeting with the ensemble for the anniversary concert and was starting to look through sheet music to find the perfect piece. He wasn't sure what he wanted to perform. Something spectacular. Something only he could do. Something that would make Kris's Jaw drop.

Wait what?

Anyway... It had been a hectic few days what with practice and work and dealing with his nagging mom again but now Kris and him were finally able to relax a little in the coziness of his childhood home.
They hadn't seen much to each other, both being super swamped with hectic schedules and whatnot, yet they always found a way to eat at least together once a day and do something from Kris's list in the weekends. His own list was starting to get dusty as he never looked at or added to it anymore. He just didn't feel the need to do anything like that any longer when Kris was enough of a stupid thing to focus on. Okay that wasn't fair. It's just that Kyungsoo was slowly (very, very slowly) starting to let go of his own prejudice and accept that maybe Kris meant a lot more to him than an average friend would. It was stupid. Like 'what are you thinking' stupid. Kris was not only a guy, he was also leaving in half a year. If Kyungsoo really had... 'feelings' for him, the two were already doomed to fail.
Kyungsoo heaved a sigh as he placed a candy cane on one of the Christmas tree's green branches. He was already dreading the thought of Kris going back home. What was he supposed to do without him?
"Can I eat one?"
Kris's face came into view as Kyungsoo was about to hang yet another sugar cane.
"You already ate 5."
"... So that's a no?"
Kyungsoo let his head tip over, huffing out an amused breath of air.
"It's almost dinner time, you man-child. Stop spoiling your appetite." Watching Kris's face fall, Kyungsoo sighed before he stuffed two canes into Kris's mouth.
"The last one...sss."
"Aah Kyungsoo-yah, you're the best!"

"Kris. Spit those out. Dinner is ready." Kyungsoo's mother came into the living-room with a big bowl of bulgogi, placing it on the dinner table.
They all took a seat around the small table, eyeing the many different dishes of food.
"Wah, everything looks so delicious Mamma D.O."
"... Kyungsoo honey. Please tell your boyfriend to stop calling me that."
"He's not my..."
"Suuuuure."     
"Mom!"
"Oh, I'm just teasing, honey. You know that." His mother scooped the bulgogi into their bowls, making sure that Kris's was filled to the brim.
"So what will you two be doing the rest of your break?"
"I don't know about Kris but I'm pretty sure I'll be stuck in a music room."
"You will? But I thought the concert was in March?" Kris sounded like a dejected puppy as he stopped eating to make 'feel guilty' eyes at him.
It was. Only Kyungsoo was a perfectionist and wanted to make sure that the song he chose to play would be no less than perfect. He would be the last to perform which meant that he was the one to bring the house down. That was quite the burden on his shoulders but he was also incredibly excited. This would be the first step of living out his dream in front of a real audience.

"Yeah but it takes time preparing for everything."
"I guess."

Kyungsoo felt a little bad. For the next few months he would be preoccupied with a single performance which meant that he would have very little time for Kris.
He hated that.

"What about you Kris?" his mother asked.
"I suppose I'll have school and work to focus on?"
"That's right, you were studying Phys Ed?"
"Yes."
"What do you want to do with it? Become a teacher or a coach or?"
"I have no idea."
"You... Then why did you choose this education?"
"To be honest. I only entered college because I wanted to be with my girlfriend."
"Aaw. " His mother cooed at the giant with such fond eyes it made Kyungsoo want to throw up.
"But then she cheated on me and it kind of lost all purpose."
"Aaw." Now she just pitied the man.
"At least you came here right? That must make up for some of the loss."
Two eyes landed on Kyungsoo making his breath hitch.
"More than you know."

Dinner ended. Again Kyungsoo and Kris took to do the dishes, washing them in silence.
It annoyed him. It gave him too much time to think so when Kris reached out for another plate, Kyungsoo splashed water on him with the brush. The incredulous look on the man's face was priceless, making Kyungsoo burst out in laughter.
"I thought you'd learned your lesson from the last time!"
"Apparently I didn't."
Kyungsoo scooped up some foam, blowing it at Kris who responded by grabbing the sink's removable spout, pointing it directly at Kyungsoo's face.
"... Kris, I will end you."
"... No you won't."
Before he knew it, his white, white T-shirt was completely soaked, not to mention see-through, along with the rest of him.
"You are so dead Kris!"
Kyungsoo took hold of Kris, jumped up on his back and tightly clasped his legs around his waist. He proceeded to drive a knuckle into the giant's back, making him squeal. For a moment Kris forgot about the water spout, allowing Kyungsoo to get a hold of it. Hopping down Kyungsoo made to turn on the tap when his mother interrupted them once again. She really did have bad timing sometimes.
"Do Kyungsoo! What do you think you're doing?"
Kyungsoo lowered his weapon.
"He started it!"
"Don't be a baby. And clean up my kitchen!"
"But!"
"No buts. Now get to it or I'll hose you down myself."
His mother her heel and made for the living-room leaving behind an open-mouthed Kyungsoo and a laughing Kris.
"Mark my words. You'll regret this."
"You're cute."
 That wasn't the reply he had expected. Kyungsoo's eyes widened while his mouth kept opening and closing like a fish.

"I'm... I'm not cute!"
"You are. Deal with it. Now scoot."

Kris shoved him out of the kitchen.

"Go change clothes while I clean up. Now."
"... Fine."

Kyungsoo begrudgingly headed towards his bedroom.
'Cute...'

A change of clothes and a hot cup of chocolate later, the three of them were seated on the couch watching 'It's a Wonderful Life' on Kris's request. During the movie Kyungsoo's mother disappeared for a moment. When she came back she held a freaking mistletoe over their heads.

"I entirely forgot about this. It would be a shame to let it go to waste. Don't you think honey?"
"Mom, I am not kissing Kris."
"Whaaat? You've done it before. What's the problem?"

Kris had told her? Kyungsoo was slowly starting to regret his list of stupid stuff.

"I promise I won't look."

He shifted his gaze towards Kris who looked like he was blushing, staring at the floor. A smile pulled at the corner of his mouth. To tell the truth, Kyungsoo found it difficult to be around Kris without looking at the man's pretty lips. Without wanting to taste them again. And now his mother served his lips on a silver platter? It really would be a shame to waste such an opportunity... Wouldn't it?

"If it'll make you happy mom."

Kyungsoo turned Kris's face towards himself. 
His heart beat harder.
Butterflies tickled his insides as he leaned in, closing his eyes...

 

'They love me cause I'm hot. They love me cause I'm cold.'


Kris's phone was ringing. Trying his best to smile and not to start kicking and screaming, Kyungsoo watched as his friend apologetically pulled out his phone.

"Hello?"
Silence.
"You what?"
Silence.
"You're what?"
Even more silence.

"YOU WHAT?!"

Kris adorned an unreadable expression on his face as he hurried off the couch and made to get his coat. The phone still clutched to his ear.

"I'm sorry Mamma D.O. but... I gotta go."
"But why?"
"It's... It's complicated."
Kyungsoo had never seen Kris so disheveled before. It scared him a little.
"Kris..."
"I'm really sorry Kyungsoo. I'll explain later?"
"Okay..."
With that he hurried out the door saying something about 'staying where you are.'

-
 "I'm in Seoul!"

Mark had used a payphone in Incheon International Airport to call Kris. Surprise, of course his own phone didn't work here.
He was now standing in the main hall of the airport trying to calm his nerves. He hadn't seen Kris in too long and then when the guy had just suddenly taken off for Korea without telling him, that was a pretty low blow. Mark had missed him so much. So much that he had jumped on a plane the day before Christmas to see his best friend.
His stomach started to churn when a familiar tall blond approached him.

"Kris!"

Mark half ran to bear hug the lights out of his friend, ditching his luggage. Strong arms quickly took hold of him, keeping him at arm's length.

"Mark. You're in Seoul. Why? Why... Why?"
"I couldn't let your spend Christmas alone now could I? Also I missed you and thought I'd kill two birds with one stone."
"Thanks but I wasn't alone."

It was difficult to keep a straight face and a smile intact at those words but Mark did his best not to show his disappointment. He knew that Kris and him weren't on the best of terms but the guy could at least pretend to be happy to see him.

"Well I'm here now so... Merry Christmas. How've you been?"

They started towards the exit. Kris had without a word picked up his bag and carried it on his shoulder, making Mark blush.

"I'm good. Seoul is amazing. I couldn't be happier."
"You don't miss Canada?"
"I miss my mom, my dad.  But I feel at home here. Like I belong? It sounds ridiculous, I know."

It did sound ridiculous, if not plain stupid. Kris belonged in Canada. With Mark. And regular sized people.
Kris led him to a metro, even purchased his ticket for him.
It took maybe 45 minutes in a rather awkward silence before Kris got up and headed to exit the train.

"Where are you taking me?"
"My place. Or are you planning on staying somewhere else?"

Mark shook his head, smiling.
This was what he had missed the most about Kris. His kindness. His sweet personality. Only now, he actually seemed more mature.
It suited him.

"So you live at your campus?"
"Yeah. It's pretty cool."
It was difficult to keep the conversation going. It seemed as if Kris's mind was elsewhere, far away from the presence.
Kris got out his keys and opened the door to his apartment.

"Wow. This is pretty cool."
"I know right?"

Mark took off his shoes, taking in what he could from the foyer while Kris went deeper inside.

"Kyungsoo?"

Kyungsoo?

"What's a Kyungsoo?" Mark followed Kris into what appeared to be the living-room. In there a tiny boy was sitting on a white couch with a folded jacket clutched to his chest. Who the hell was this person?

"Hi." The small man rose from his seat, definitely not looking happy.
"You must be Mark."

The guy didn't say it like a question, much more like a statement.

"How did you know?"
"Lucky guess. So you're the so-called best friend who ed Kris's girlfriend at the time? Nice meeting you."

Before Mark had the chance to reply or defend himself, Kris had taken Kyungsoo to the side, whispering to one another other.
Awkwardly Mark looked around the living room when his eyes landed on the sofa table. K+ K?
The two finished their bickering when the small guy made for the door, saying something in Korean.

"And he is...?"
Kris dejectedly sat down where the  other guy before had sat, sighing heavily. There was something about the look in Kris's eyes that Mark really didn't like.
"That was my friend and roommate, Do Kyungsoo."
"Do what now?"
"No. It's his name."
"Oh." Mark cleared his throat.
"So I guess you talked about me?"
"Your name might have come up once or twice."
 "... I apologized right?"
"Mark. Why are you here? It's Christmas. You should be with your family right now."
"Exactly. You couldn't spend time with yours, so I thought I'd come see you."
"See me? You flew half the globe on Christmas eve, just to see me?"
"Well yeah?" Mark took a seat next to Kris on the couch.
"Did you hear about Kim?"
"I'm not exactly keeping tabs on my ex-girlfriend's life at the moment."
"She's getting married. In July."

It was easy to see from the way Kris clenched his teeth at the news. He was upset but he was trying his best to hide it.

"Good for her."
"Could've been you. It should have been you."
"Yeah, well you ultimately made sure that didn't happen."

Mark let his eyes fall to the floor, keeping silent. From the corner of his eyes he could see Kris drive a hand through his blond locks, heaving a deep breath of air.

"I'm sorry, man. It's really not your fault. Kim and I... We just weren't meant to be. I mean as friends we were great. But as a couple... We were horrible."
"That's true."
"Gee, thanks, please do rub it in. I need a drink." The man got off the couch heading in the same direction as they had come from.

"Seeing as you paid for the airplane ticket, the least I can do is buy the beers tonight."

They entered a small pub looking thing. As they sat down all eyes were on them. Well mostly the females' and a few death glares from what looked like jealous boyfriends.
As he had promised, Kris bought the first round. And the second. And the third.  
As the alcohol consumption increased so did their conversations. It was easier getting words out of Kris now that he was chucking his 5th beer. Yet they had been here maybe an hour or so and in that hour several girls had come to hit on his friend. Mark couldn't blame them. Kris really was a piece of art but when the sixth girl received a rejection, Mark let out his curiosity.

"Okay that is the umpteenth time a crazy hot Asian chick has made a move on you. Why do you keep sending them away?"

Kris scoffed.
"They weren't... hot enough?"
"Not hot enough? Did you not see the s on the last one?!"
"Right. s. Awesome."
"Are you okay Kris?"
"Yeah. I'm fine."

Mark would like to think that they had been friends for long enough for him to spot when Kris was lying. And boy was Kris a bad liar.

"You know you can tell me anything right? I won't judge you."

Kris swallowed once before grabbing his beer, finishing what was left.

"You say that now."
"I promise. I won't"
"Then... Can I tell you a secret?"
"Absolutely."
"Lately... For a while now... I think I might be erm... betting on a... different team now... If you get my drift."

What?

"You never had a team to begin with. You hate sports."

The blond guy face-palmed sighing.

"Right. I think... I might be a...  A Unicorn."
"Unicorn?"
"Yup. Giant horn, rainbow flying out of my and everything"
"I don't... Oh."
"Yeah."
"Oh."
"... Yeah."
"So you're..."
"Yes. Please don't hit me. It's not like I chose the wiener over the bread on purpose."
"I'm not gonna hit you."
"Really?! You're not?  Okay, who are you and what have you done with Mark the Homophobe?"

Mark might have been a little drunk but the butterflies in his stomach were going crazy. Kris was gay? This was too good to be true.

"People change. You wanna get some fresh air?"

They walked down a more or less abandoned street, both swinging a bottle of beer in their hands. They were laughing about past memories as they came to a standstill. A small playground came into view and before he knew it Kris had made for the swings. Mark shook his head while grinning, sitting down on the swing next to Kris's.

"Man I love these things. When I was a kid, I begged my mom to put one up in my bedroom, you know like right in front of the door so at bedtime I could jump up on the swing and then hop off, 'falling' asleep. Get it?"
"I get it Kris."

Mark scoffed.

"Kris?"

Without thinking Mark took hold of Kris's swing, ending it's movement. Pulling Kris towards himself, Mark leaned in.

"I have a secret as well."

It may have been the beer talking or it could be the fact that knowing Kris liked guys gave him that last bit of courage to tell his friend what he had been keeping inside for years on out.

"... I love you."

Gently, Mark pressed his lips against Kris's.
 

Something he had dreamed of doing ever since he first laid eyes on Kris's handsome face all those years ago.



A/N
Okay so this is... Badly written. sorry about that but I'm having trouble putting scenarios into words -.-'
Also I've gotten an idea for a Xiuhan fic which I really want to get started on but I also feel like I should finish this first ><
*sigh*
 Anyway So Mark is in Seoul... Yay.
Or not...