Changed Man

Of Airplanes, Lists and Break-ups

Chapter 26

Things were going to be different from now on, Kyungsoo thought to himself as he had boarded the plane back to Seoul. He was going to miss Canada. Especially the maple syrup. Although he might have bought a few bottles of the sticky stuff in the tax-free shop. Now he just needed Minseok to teach him how to make American pancakes. He already knew how to make crepes but it certainly wasn't the same.

Kyungsoo took a look at his ticket before searching for his seat. H 25, H 26, ah there, H 27. Only, a woman was already in his seat... with a wailing baby.

"Excuse me, miss? Sorry?" The lady was way too absorbed in getting her child to shut the ... quiet down, to notice Kyungsoo. 'Change of tactic it is then.'

"What a handsome little fellow. Hey cutie, why so grumpy? Give us a smile." Kyungsoo bend over to rest his hands on his knees. He flashed his best heart smile, earning a cute giggle from both mother and child.

"That's better. He really is adora... Oh isn't this seat no. H 27?"

"No I'm pretty sure this is... Oh I'm so sorry! I didn't even realize. It's been quite a hectic morning and this little fellow didn't nap and bla bla bla bla..."

'Yappedy yappedy yappedy. Less talking more moving woman,' he thought to himself while nodding politely.  

"Really it's okay. Let me help you find your seat."

"Really? Thank you so much."

"It's no problem. Here I can take him." The woman more than willingly handed Kyungsoo her son. Kyungsoo had never had much patience for children but he had to admit that all quiet and with a saliva smile plastered on its face, made it pretty damn cute. For a moment he contemplated adding 'get girl pregnant' to the list but naaah. He wasn't going to be that stupid.   

They found the woman's seat and Kyungsoo waved his goodbye to the little tyke.  Finally sitting down, he fastened his seatbelt. Soon the Plane was ready for takeoff.

'Seoul... Just you wait. Do Kyungsoo is... YARGH!'

Kyungsoo's hand was being squeezed to death by a pretty pale looking guy. No he... he almost looked green. Oh no. Kyungsoo quickly leaned in for a puke bag but as it turned out the other guy didn't need it.

 

Kyungsoo quickly learned that Kris was awkward, quite insecure despite his good looks but also he was very good company. Maybe that was why Kyungsoo suddenly  added 'hit on a guy' to his list. It'd be fun right? Kris was very easy to fluster, much to Kyungsoo's delight. He wasn't sure what made him write down 'kiss a guy' because in theory he had already kissed Moustache Guy... or was it Big Bewbs? ...Aarg! Why couldn't he remember?! Kyungsoo reasoned that it was only natural to experiment when you were young. Gay endeavors were part of growing up right? Right?
Kyungsoo's heart had pounded like crazy in his chest when he had leaned in to briefly capture Kris's lips. Honestly he had expected Kris to punch him in the face but nope. He had just stood there mouth agape and sporting a question mark above his head.

Although the kiss was short, the first thing that came to Kyungsoo's mind was how different his lips felt compared to... Kris's lips might not have looked like it but they were almost as plum as his own and very, very soft.

He frantically shook his head at the extremely recent memory.  

As he entered the main hall of the airport, he looked through the sea of people, trying to spot his mother. He was sure that by now his mother would know everything about the break up from a hysterical Mrs. Jung. And he was sure that she was angry. Most likely at him.

He was right.

His mom definitely didn't look like a mother who had missed her only son. Everything screamed closed off about her. Arms crossed, lips pursed, eyes downcast. She looked like one big frown on legs. If you remember, Kyungsoo's mother was quite the blabbermouth, so when Kyungsoo came up to her and she neither looked or spoke to him, he knew he was in for a long one. Well, once she reached her boiling point that is.  At Kyungsoo's greeting, his mother had promptly her heel and headed for the exit. Sighing, he slowly followed her while looking forward to a silent ride home. He better enjoy the quiet while he could.

Kyungsoo's mother reached her limit the exact moment she had stepped over the threshold to her home.

"Do Kyungsoo! What did you do to poor Krystal?!" His mother threw her purse on the floor before turning to meet Kyungsoo's eyes.

"She arrived home 3 days prior, in tears and without you. Mrs. Jung is going out of her mind! Krystal won't talk to her, she's locked herself into your apartment and won't come out! Tell me, what happened in Canada?!"

Kyungsoo calmly put away his trolley and closed the front door.

"She doesn't love me anymore," Kyungsoo said nonchalantly while shrugging his shoulders.

"But it's okay. I don't love her either. Not sure I ever did."

"Don't you dare say that! She is the best thing that ever happened to you! Go make up with her. Now!"

"The best thing... Oh please! You're just angry to lose the closest thing you ever had to a daughter! I'm sorry you had son and for being a disappointment but hey that's life! One big disappointment! But no more. I am done pretending everything is fine because they haven't been for a very long time!   And let's not forget, she chose  to leave me! Not the other way around! Why should I come crawling back to someone I didn't give a about to begin with?!"

Kyungsoo's mother was stunned at her son's indifference. A sudden anger filled her and before she knew it she had stalked up to her son and slapped him hard across the face.

Realizing her actions, she quickly brought her hands up to cover . Her eyes spilled over and tears trekked down her cheeks.

"Kyungsoo, I'm so sorry... I didn't mean..." 

Astonished, Kyungsoo touched the red staining his skin. His mother had hit him. Hit. Him. Why was everything his fault?  In the blink of an eye, his hurt expression changed to that of indifference . 

"It seems I just can't keep my parents from abandoning me. I'm sorry if I've been the cause of any inconvenience."
He grabbed his trolley and hurried out the door, ignoring every last one of his mother's pleas and apologies, never looking back.

"Kyungsoo?"

Baekhyun took in the sight of his friend, standing on his doorstep.
"Can I stay with you for a few days?"

Kyungsoo looked so miserable, fidgeting with his fingers, keeping his eyes on the ground. Baekhyun had responded by hugging him close before carrying his suitcase inside.

 Baekhyun lived in small student apartment. Okay small was an understatement. He lived in a frigging shoebox. But Kyungsoo would much rather stay there than at Minseok or Chanyeol's place. He didn't want to bother his hyung who seemed to have enough problems of his own and Chanyeol would just bring up his dislike for Krystal all the time. Baekhyun on the other hand had already done so much to help him, never asking questions. He was really too kind and it made Kyungsoo feel awful for his selfish ways.

Baekhyun had offered him his bed but Kyungsoo was more than happy about sleeping on the floor. During the night though, Baekhyun took mercy on Kyungsoo's back and half carried, half dragged him up to his small bed. He put his arm around Kyungsoo's tiny frame to keep him from falling out. Closely huddled together, they fell asleep.

The next day Kyungsoo was a changed man. He was all smiles and cheers, acting as if nothing had ever been wrong.

He didn't fool Baekhyun, one. Bit.  


A/N
This is the last chapter of Kyungsoo's background story :) I hope it wasn't too... Okay it was waaaay too long but I'm not sorry :p
Thank you so much for reading and for all the nice comments and for subscribing :D:D