Chapter 4

When Love Stops

        My legs were still glued to the ground as I saw what is happening right now. My heart beats like a drum and my lungs were puffing out breath. I couldn’t even feel my body right now. That person still looks at me with those intense brown eyes like it is penetrating deep into my soul.

        “Have a seat, Hye Ri,” Mr Kang pointed towards the seat next to that ‘person’.

I took slow steps and it took time for me to get seated. My sweaty palms are twitching here and there as I’m not even brave enough to have a glance at that person beside me.

         “So, Hye Ri, I would like to introduce you to my student, Kris,” he smiled at me. Then, he looked at Kris and said, “Kris, this is my most hardworking student, Hye Ri.”

          Kris turned to face me with a serious face and said, “Annyeonghaseyo, Hye Ri. Please to meet you.” Gosh, his voice is so deep.

          I nodded in reply, “Annyeong.”

          “So, let’s get this started. Do you know why I called you here?” Mr Kang spoke up.

          “No, Mr Kang,”I answered.

          “Well, you see, Kris is weak in my subject and he has problems scoring for my tests. Since, you’ve been my number one student in my class, I want to appoint you as his tutor.

         The moment he mentioned the word tutor, my heart beats faster. That means, I get to be with him up close and personal. And then, I get to be friends with him and this could lead to the jackpot!

           “Are you okay, Hye Ri?” Mr Kang asked which brought me out of my daydreaming habits. Kris was still staring at me with that ‘poker-face’ expression.

           “I’m alright, Mr Kang,” I smiled.

           “You look very pale, girl,” Mr Kang said with a worried expression.

          “I’m fine. It’s just that I’m very tired,” I answered.

           “I see. So, Hye Ri, I would prefer if you tutor Kris after school hours so that it does not interfere with your other school responsibilities,” Mr Kang added.

          “Sure, Mr Kang,” I said.

          “So, both you have to settle on what days you want to meet up and I look forward to you for doing a good job,” he smiled.

          “Alright,” I answered.

         Then, he turned to Kris and said, “And you, I’ll look forward to your progress in my class and work hard as I don’t want you to fail.”

          “Okay, Mr Kang,” he answered.

          “Alright, both of you go back to your respective classes,” he added.

        As we both got up, we thanked Mr Kang and walked out of the staffroom. As we were outside the staffroom, Kris spoke up, “So, what day shall we start?”

         I looked up at him. God, he’s so tall! I have to cramp my neck so hard to just to look at him. *sigh* the consequences of being short.

         “How about this Friday? I’m free after classes” I suggested.

         Kris looked up as he was thinking and then, he answered, “Friday sounds good to me.”

         “You sure, you don’t have any activities after school?”

         “I do. It’s only basketball practice, but I can skip it just for the tutoring,” he smirked.

         Omo! He purposely decides to skip the practice just to be with me? Okay, stop it, Hye Ri! Maybe he’s being serious about his studies and needs someone to tutor him. Don’t overthink too much.

         “Oh, that’s great, then!” I smiled.

         “Oh, need to ask. Can I have your number? In case, I want to contact you or anything,” he said while fishing his phone out from his pocket.

         Did he just ask for my number? Okay, Hye Ri, bring yourself back together. He needs to contact you if he needs anything.

          “Sure,” I answered. Soon, we both exchanged phone numbers.

         “So, I’ll see you this Friday,” he said. “I’ve got to rush for class. Bye!” he smiled. I said goodbye in reply. Off he goes and I’m still star struck whether this is happening to me right now. This has got to be the biggest surprise to me in my life. Realizing that I’m still in the same position of daydreaming for a few minutes, I decided to head back to my class. By the time I have entered the class, Ms Byun, my English teacher was already seated at her desk. I bowed down before her and she affirmed me giving a nod.

             Soon, I sat at my desk and the lesson was continued. I couldn’t concentrate during the whole lesson and I didn’t even bother to know what the lesson was about. The only thoughts that came to my mind were that incident that happened just now. Why me? Why not other students? These unanswered thoughts flooded my mind. Little did I know, that time flies so fast and class has already ended and soon, recess has started.

            “Yah, Hye Ri! Are you coming with us?” Ha Eun asked.

            “I’m coming!” I quickly brought out my lunch box and rush out of the class to meet them.

          By the time I have reached the canteen, it was crowded with students. Noises of conversations and laughter filled the air. “Gosh, we’ll never find a place with all these students here, “Joo Ee pouted.

          “Hey, look! Over there!” Ha Eun said pointing to a table where Suho, Chanyeol and Baekhyun were waving for our attention to come to their table.

          When we arrived and seated ourselves at the table, Chanyeol spoke up, “Yah! If it weren’t for us, you girls would be sitting on the floor!”

          “Shut up, Chanyeol! We’re the gentlemen here and we should be nice to the ladies. How can you say it to them, especially to your girlfriend?!” Baekhyun defended while hitting Chanyeol’s head from the back.

           “Guys, we don’t want any arguments on this table!” Suho came in. When it comes to situations like this, Suho is always the peacemaker trying to intervene and to stop it from happening.

           Three of us girls were laughing at the scene right in front of us. Once, everyone settled down and were eating their food, Joo Ee spoke up,”Hye Ri, why did Mr Kang called you to his cubicle?” All eyes were on me right now like I’m a helpless prey.

          “It’s because, I’ve been assigned to tutor someone because he’s weak,” I answered.

          “Who is it? Did you meet him face to face?” Ha Eun butted in.

          “Yes, I did,” I answered. “Who is it? Is he handsome?” Joo Ee grinned.

          “Is he a better singer than me?” Baekhyun teased.

            “Can he rap better than me?” Chanyeol asked.

           “Is he a nerd?” Suho laughed.

           Before I could answer anyone, questions were shooting at me nonstop. I could not take it anymore, that I answered them directly, “Guys! It’s Kris okay?”

           Suddenly, both Ha Eun and Joo Ee squealed in delight when he heard his name. “Oh My God!!!! Hye Ri! You’re tutoring Kris, the most popular athlete in high school! How can this be?! I’m so jealous!”

           I can see that those three guys are left out feeling awkward. Chanyeol spoke while shaking his head, “God. Girls these days.”

           “Yah, Chanyeol! You should be lucky that Ha Eun is dating you. If not, you would be just being some lonely boy with that ugly derp expression of yours,” Joo Ee retaliated.

           “Joo Ee ah! When are you going to stop ‘burning’ people?” Baekhyun defended while patting the back of her head.

          “Sorry, oppa,” Joo Ee replied in a pitied expression. Everyone was laughing at Joo Ee except Suho-oppa. What’s wrong with him? He looks sad.

          “Anyway, why does he need tutoring? I thought he’s a genius?” Baekhyun asked.

          “Beats me. Mr Kang said that he’s been failing in his classes,” I answered.

         “Well, not everyone can excel well in Biology,” Joo Ee added. Everyone agreed.

        In the next moment, the bell rang signalling that recess has ended. “I’ll see you later after school, oppa” I said to Suho. Suho smiled back. Soon, everyone has returned back to their classes. Time passes by quickly and attending History and Geography classes was such a bore. In time, the bell has rung which means it is the end of school. After packing my backpack, I said bye to Ha Eun and Joo Ee, “All the best, Joo Ee!” I smiled.

          I quickly rushed out of class and ran as fast as I could to the school entrance gates to look for Suho. By the time I have reached there, Suho was already leaning against the wall waiting for me. I was panting heavily as I try to regain my breath.

            “Hye Ri! Are you okay? You don’t have to run all the way like a mad cow just to see me!” He looked shocked at the state that he’s seeing.

             “I’m fine! I was worried that you might have to wait for me!” I was holding on to my knees.

             “Yah, Hye Ri! I’m not one of those ‘impatient’ people, okay? Anyway, we should get a taxi,” he said while patting my head.

              Soon, we’ve gotten a taxi and arrived to our destination in a few minutes. As we entered the building, Suho paid for the room and some refreshments. “Come, let’s go!” he said as he pulled me towards one of the karaoke rooms. When we entered the room, I picked the first song to sing which was Gee by SNSD. We were having so much fun as we dance the ‘crab dance’ to the song.

         Next, we were screaming our hearts out when we sang to the song “Titanium” by David Guetta. Trust me, that song makes you pierce your throats out. People who were passing by were thinking that we’re being too ‘high’ and drunk. Then, Suho started to sing solo to “Bogoshipda” by Kim Bum Soo. Woah, I’ve never expected him to sing that well!

         After singing more than a few songs, we were so tired that we decided to take a break. “My throat hurts,” Suho said as he took a sip from a canned drink.

           “Me too,” I added in reply.

           We sat in silence for a few seconds until I spoke up while holding the remote control, “Since I suggested the hang-out place first, I suggest we should sing along to ‘Bar Bar Bar’!”

           “Yah, don’t ever choose that song!” he warned.

            “Why not? My rules,” I smirked.

            “Who says it’s your ‘rules’? Don’t make me take that remote control away from you,” he teased.

            “Haha, try me,” I mocked.

      In an instant, Suho was chasing me around the room trying to snatch that remote control away from my grip. Passerbys were thinking that we are crazy running like hooligans in the room. Suho wasn’t giving up on chasing me. I couldn’t hold my laughter any longer as I tried to dodge his hands from getting the remote control. Little did I know, that I tripped myself by the table and in result, I landed onto the sofa pulling Suho along with me.

        What happened next was something indescribable. When I opened my eyes, Suho was right on top of me and his elbows were on either side of my head to support himself. Our eyes were interlocked and we couldn’t help staring at each other’s lips. There was silence. In a few seconds, he was getting closer and I don’t know why I could not have the courage to push him. He’s getting closer and his eyes are closed.

          All of a sudden, my phone rang. Suho had no choice but to get off me so that I could get up. I quickly took my phone out and answered it. Turns out, it was omma.

          “Hello?” I answered.

         “Hye Ri, where are you?” my mom asked.

         “I’m outside with Suho,” I said.

         “Can you come back home now? Ji Min is joining us for dinner again,” my mom answered.

          “Okay, omma. I’ll be back home in 15 minutes,” I assured her.

         “That’s my girl. Bye!” she said.

         “Bye, omma!” I answered.

         Once I placed my phone back into my pocket, Suho asked, “You need to go home now?” I nodded in reply.

         “I’ll walk you home, okay?” he offered. “Alright,” I answered.

          Soon, we have walked out of the building. We were in silence on the way back home. No conversations at all. I felt very awkward about that situation that almost happened a while back ago and I have a feeling that he feels the same. The moment, we have reached towards the front of my house, I spoke up, “Thanks oppa for everything.”

            “Don’t mention it. It was my treat after all,” he smiled.

            “Will you be alright walking back home alone?” I asked.

            “I’ll be alright, Chibi. You don’t have to worry about me,” he laughed while messing my hair up. I glared at him this time.

            “Take care, oppa!” I hugged him. “See you tomorrow.”

             “You too,” he patted my back.

          And off he goes as his shadow disappears into the sunset. I swear if my mom didn’t call me up, Suho would have stolen my first kiss. Luckily, it wasn’t that awkward. Without haste, I decided to step into my home.