Chapter 12

When Love Stops

           “Hye Ri!! Are you listening?!”

         My body just went into alert mode when Joo Ee’s finger flicked against my forehead. I looked around me and all of them had stopped with their conversations and decided to stare at me instead since I was the only one not paying attention at the cafeteria table.

           “Sorry,” I mumbled.

           “What were you thinking about that made you not listening?” Ha Eun was annoyed.

           “I’m just tired,” I lied while pretending to rub my eyes.

           “Are you alright?” Suho asked while looking at me in concern.

           “I’m fine… I’m fine. Thanks, Suho,” I smiled at him.

           “You better sleep early tonight, alright?” Gosh, Suho does resemble my mum a lot. Seriously, a lot.

            “So, what were you guys saying?” I asked them.

            “We were planning to go for karaoke after school. Do you want to come along?” Baekhyun asked. Crap, I almost forgot that I’m meeting up with Kris after school. But how can I tell it to them?

            “Eerrr…” All eyes were looking on me. “I think… I can’t join you guys. I’m sorry. You guys go ahead.” I can see all of them wanted me to come but now I just see disappointed faces. “I promise… alright? We’ll go together one day,” I negotiated.

            “Arasso arasso. You’re forgiven this time. But… you got something to do after school?” Chanyeol asked.

           “Yeah,” I answered while taking a sip from my water tumbler.

           “Why? Got a date with Kris?” Joo Ee snickered. In that instant, I coughed and Suho immediately patted my back.

           “See? I knew it!” Joo Ee laughed out loudly.

           “It’s not a date. It’s called a tutoring session,” I stared at her.

           “Okay okay!” Joo Ee lifted her hands up in surrender.

            “So how was that tutoring session last Saturday?” Ha Eun teased with that Cheshire cat grin.

             I hesitated for a while before I answered, “It was alright, that’s all.”

             “Liar!” Joo Ee burst out.

             “What?! It was only a tutoring session!” I fought back.

             “Puh-lease Hye Ri! I’m absolutely sure something has been going on. But you’re just too selfish to share it with us!” Ha Eun glared.

             “I agree. I have the right to know this instant!” Joo Ee banged her fist on the table which causes the drinks on the table to shake. Both Baekhyun and Chanyeol were exchanging weird looks at each other. I pity them but I have to salute them for being able to tolerate them.

              “Okay okay fine!” Now both Joo Ee and Ha Eun calmed down and were glued to their seats.

              “Even though I don’t find it special… BUT” now both of them were seating closer to me wanting to get the best gossip on their hands. “I just have to say it out so that you won’t have to make a living hell out of me.” Great, now both of them have smiling like some ugly clowns.

              “What happened was number one, he sat beside me. Number two, the waiter thought we’re dating. And finally, number three, he paid for my coffee. Happy, anyone?” I eyed the both of them. Surprisingly, both of them were staring at me with those big eyes in silence. Okay, what’s going on now? I thought they excited in the first place. Even their boyfriends are looking at them.

             “EEERR… What’s going on?”

             “Oh. My. God.” Ha Eun pronounced those words loudly and clearly.

             “What is it?” I asked curiously.

            “I mean, Hye Ri. THIS IS THE PERFECT DATE. OH MY GOD, YOU GUYS ARE MEANT TO BE A COUPLE LIKE COME ON. I SO AGREE WITH THE WAITER!!!” Joo Ee burst out screaming. Soon, students in the cafeteria were watching us as they saw some mad woman screaming her lungs out.

             “Girls! It’s a tutoring session. Not a date!” I shouted back.

             “Face it, Hye Ri. You’re newly friends with him and he pays for your coffee. Come on, Chanyeol doesn’t even do that,” Ha Eun said it sarcastically.

             “Hey! Since when I didn’t pay for you?!” Chanyeol argued while flicking her forehead.

            “You didn’t! Remember the last time we went on a date, you didn’t even pay at all. I have to pay just because you left your wallet at home!” Ha Eun argued back while jabbing her finger at herself.

           “Okay okay. Both of you calm down! Remember, no arguments here?” Suho the mediator butted in.

           Once everybody calmed down, Joo Ee asked, “But Hye Ri?” I looked up.

            “Do you have… a crush on Kris?” she asked. . Why is she asking me this question? Damn you, Joo Ee.

            “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I replied in a serious tone while trying to hide the fact that I am.

            “Don’t deny, Soo Hye Ri,” Joo Ee demanded.

            “Jagi, leave Hye Ri alone, arasso?” Baekhyun butted in. Thank you so much, Baekhyun.

            “Jagi, I’m asking a question, okay?” Joo Ee glared at her boyfriend intensely. Okay, now I have to pity poor Baekhyun.

            “You haven’t answered my question?” Joo Ee turned at me. Now, everyone at the table is looking at me now. Gawd, what have I got myself into?

            “Okay okay. Yes… I do like him.” I answered with a stern look.

            “Omo! Look at her face! She’s blushing!” Ha Eun pointed at me.

        What?! I took the makeup mirror out of my pocket and what Ha Eun said was right about me. My face is red; I mean super red like a tomato.

            “So, you were liking Kris all along did you? Since when?” Joo Ee sneered.

            “And, you didn’t tell us. I feel so hurt!” Ha Eun made a pitied reaction.

           “Come on, girls! It’s just that it’s something that I wouldn’t share it with everyone. It’s just that I have a crush on him since the first year,” I explained.

            “But we’re your best friends! How could you?” Joo Ee reacted. Now, both of their boyfriends are exchanging weird looks at each other again. I bet they were thinking how they are going to control their girlfriends in the next time.

              “You know what, Hye Ri? I’ve got a feeling that Suho knows about this,” she said while looking at Suho. I turned my head towards Suho but he was looking down on the floor fidgeting his fingers. Crap, I forgot that he was right beside me all along. And he doesn’t look that happy like just now. Did the three of us say something wrong?

              “Suho?” He looked up at Joo Ee.

              “Did you know all of this?” she asked. Suho looked at me. I gave him a look which tells him not to say it out.

             “Nope. I only just found out,” Suho answered.

            “So it’s fair after all that Suho didn’t know about it,” Ha Eun spoke. Everyone was in silence. Then, Baekhyun spoke up.

            “Speaking of Kris, Hye Ri. I think you better look behind you.” I turned my head around. What Baekhyun said was true. Kris was looking at our table a few meters away. I immediately got up from my chair and he walked over to our table.

            “Hey…” he lifted his hand.

            “Hey…” I replied. Soon, we were in awkward silence. I can see both girls are grinning in delight when they saw him and both of their boyfriends’ reactions were the opposite. Meanwhile, Suho was glaring at him like he was a piece of meat.

           “I was just wondering…” we both said at the same time. I scratched my head.

           “You go first,” I offered.

           “I… just want to remind you that we’re meeting after school, right?” he asked. I nodded in reply.

           “She’s not some scheduler, jerk,” a voice said. I turned and Suho was staring at him with those angry glares. All of us at the table were stunned with our open mouths.

           “I’m sorry?” Kris asked. Okay, I can feel there’s a whole lot of tension going on between them. I have to act fast before Suho can say anything which might offend Kris.

           “Oh! It’s nothing, Kris. He’s just having a bad mood right now!” I lied trying to stop the tension going on.

           “Oh…” Kris paused before continuing, “sorry about that, man.” He said while looking over at Suho.

          “Pffft!” Suho scoffed. What’s wrong with him now? It’s not like him at all.

          “Anyway!” I said out loud to get Kris’ reaction. He turned to look at me instantly.

          Once he got my attention, I spoke up, “I’ll wait for you at the bus stop after school alright?”

          “Sure thing. See you later,” he smiled. The moment he smiled, I can hear both those annoying girls squealing in delight.

          Once he left, I returned back to my seat. Both girls are now bombarding me with statements wishing me all the best in my next tutoring session with Kris. Baekhyun got so annoyed that he spoke up.

         “Jagi. You’re not noticing me as your boyfriend, do you?”

         “Oppa, I didn’t mean it,” Joo Ee pouted.

         “Yah, Joo Ee. Listen carefully. I’m your boyfriend, okay and I don’t want you to go crazy in front of other guys in front of my face. Arasso?”

         “Arasso, oppa. You’re jealous, aren’t you?” Joo Ee teased.

        “Of course I am. What do you expect?!” Baekhyun ‘burned’ her with his words.

        “I knew it, oppa!” Joo Ee laughed.

        “Bo?” Baekhyun answered in a confused state.

        “Did you know I did that on purpose just to see how jealous you could be as a boyfriend?” she snickered. Baekhyun’s face went white in an instant.

        “Yah!” Joo Ee laughed out loud with Baekhyun’s reaction.

       “Jinja. I didn’t know my girlfriend could be capable of doing that,” he shook his head.

       “Mianhe, oppa.” Joo Ee showed her puppy eyes at him.

       “Aisssh! Arasso, jagi,” Baekhyun gave in. In an instant, the school bell rang and all the students got back to their classes. While everyone at the table got up from their chairs, Suho walked out furiously.

        “Oppa.” I grabbed his arm. He turned to look at me. This time, he looks less calm than just now.

        “Are you alright?” I asked.

        “I’m alright. Just ignore me for the time being.” He mumbled. Soon, he brushed my hand off his and he walked off at a quick pace. Then, I felt a hand on my shoulder and turns out it was Baekhyun’s.

          “Just let him be. He must be having a bad mood now,” Baekhyun said. Then, all of us walked back to our classes. Why is he acting like this? He’s not the Suho I know at all…