Chapter 13

When Love Stops

      “Ready to head off?” Kris asked once we met at the school bus stop. I nodded in reply. All the girls around me at the bus stop were staring at the both of us. Even I could hear them whispering statements such as:

       “Ohmygosh, are they dating?”

       “She’s so lucky to be standing close to him.”

       “I’m so jealous of her right now”

         Deep inside, I was smiling but it was kind of awkward that you’re suddenly the centre of attention once you are physically close to Kris. Kris must have felt that all the girls were staring at the both of us that he decided that we should leave on to the café.

             While walking, I started a conversation saying, “So, you represent the school? I mean… those basketball competitions?” He nodded in reply. “Yeap. But it’s going to be my last year, though.”

         “I see. That’s cool, though,” I replied.

         “Sure is. But it’s so fast that I’m going to graduate soon. And I’m sure I’m going to miss my buddies,” he smiled while looking down at the pavement.

         “Your basketball buddies?” I asked. He nodded.

        “I’ll introduce them to you one day… maybe… during recess?” I smiled back.

        “Sure, sunbae.”

     By the time, we were continuing on chatting, we had already arrived at the café. Surprisingly, that cheeky waiter was standing by his post at the entrance door. When he saw us walking in, he opened the glass door and welcomed us in.

         “Annyonghaseyo!” he greeted loudly. Gosh, look at his face. He does have a big smile, though. I greeted back in reply but I can see Kris was glaring at him like a hawk eyeing its prey.

         “Two of you, only?” he asked. I nodded in reply.

         “Another date?” he laughed. Before I could answer him, Kris spoke, “It’s not a date. Try saying that again and you’ll be the sorry the next time I see you again.”

         “Whatever,” he brushed off that statement while rolling his eyes. I can see that he wasn’t even bothered at all. “Did I hear something?” Kris made a step in front of that waiter. The waiter got to his senses that he quickly said, “No no no! Not at all! Please follow me!” Soon, we all followed him as he led us to our respective table. It was the same table that we sat since the first tutoring session.

          When we sat down, we ordered our drinks and then, he left off. I turned to Kris and said, “Sunbae?” He looked up.

           “Are you annoyed at him?”

           “Not really anymore,” he answered.

           “Look, sunbae. You don’t have to get annoyed at him easily. He was just joking with us.” I explained.

           “I don’t even find that… funny, Hye Ri. It’s just that I don’t like them fooling around, alright?” he said. By the time I wanted to explain to him more, our drinks had arrived. This time, it was another waiter so thankfully so Kris had cooled down from that incident just now.

           “So, shall we get started?” he asked. “Yeap.” I replied. Then, he got off from his seat and went to the seat beside mine and sat on it. I don’t know why but every time Kris is a few inches away from me, I feel extremely nervous and perplexed. Hye Ri, you have got to calm down. It can be so obvious that sunbae might notice.

            “Okay, what is the next problem that you have been facing?” I asked in order to get rid of those unwanted thoughts in my mind.

            “It’s something that Mr Kang taught today. Darn… I can’t remember,” he cursed while tapping a pencil on his forehead. I have a feeling that he’s the type who won’t concentrate in class and instead, sleeps off during lessons.

            “Let me guess… You didn’t pay attention in class,” I said. His mouth dropped open when he heard that.

           “See! I knew it,” I said out loud as what I had thought was true.

           “I mean… how did you know? That I was sleeping in class,” he was amazed.

           “It’s obvious, sunbae. To be honest, you do look like one,” I smiled in sarcasm at him.

            “Wow… just wow.” He replied.

            “If I was Mr Kang, you would be dead meat.”

          “Arasso, Ms Hye Ri. I shall promise that I would not sleep in class,” he bowed his head with that kid-dish tone.

          “Good, sunbae. So, shall we move on?” I asked.

          “Alright. But I still haven’t tell you the chapter that we learned in class today,” he said.

          “Oh, I forgot! Okay, but can you like to try recall at least a single word that Mr Kang might have mentioned in the class today,” I assured him.

          “Hmmm… He said something which sounds like… crab,” he said while looking up at the ceiling hoping to find the one word which would make it easier for the both of us.

           “Kreb’s cycle,” I answered an instant. Gawd, my brain is definitely like a computer.

           He looked at me with his mouth opened again, “How did you know?! God, you must be a freaking genius.”

          “Don’t say that. It’s just that I have a good memory… that’s all. Anyway, let’s move on, shall we?” I flipped through the textbook for that chapter. From then on, we went through the whole chapter in detail explaining to him each process one by one. It was one of the chapters which I dislike. Seriously, it wasn’t easy to memorize every step one by one exactly. When we were done with the chapter, I proceeded on as usual, by giving him a quiz.

           Suddenly, while he was busy doing his quiz, his phone was on vibration meaning that someone has been calling him. I said, “Sunbae?” He looked up.

          “I think, you better pick up that call,” I nod my head towards his phone. He took his phone and he swiped “End call” on the screen. He tossed his phone back on the table and continued on with his quiz.

          “You don’t want to pick that up?” I asked.

          “Nah…it’s not that important,” he answered. Again, his phone vibrated. This time, he did the same thing and focus back to his quiz.

           “You sure you don’t want to pick that up?”

            “Don’t worry. I can call back later. Tutoring is more important,” he shushed.

            “Ohh… okay,” I answered. Just when I went to continue looking out at the window, a loud voice was heard.

             “Oppa!!!” In an instant, both me and Kris jumped and we turn our heads to find the source of commotion. Turns out, that a petite girl in her school uniform was standing a few meters away from our table and her eyes were on us. I have feeling she must be a junior in her high school based on her uniform. Her right hand was gripping tightly on to her phone. Most of the customers at the café were staring at her in shock never expecting to see a petite girl to have a loud voice. When I looked at Kris, he had the same expression as those customers there. Soon, she walked towards our table. Just as she reached our table, she slapped Kris’ arm.

            “Yah! Oppa! Why are you ignoring my calls?” she shouted. Kris immediately pulled her hand and his left hand covered .

            “Shhhh! Not so loud! Where are your manners?” he asked. That girl brushed his hand off .

             “Manners? Puh-lease. How about you? You don’t even have the courtesy to pick up my calls,” she answered back sarcastically. Who is she? And why did she talk to him so comfortably like the know each other? Don’t tell me… he has a girlfriend?

             When she had realized that another pair of eyes was staring at her, she turned towards me. This time, her facial expression changes. Instead, a smile was plastered on her face.

             “Oh! Sorry I didn’t see you there!” she smiled.

             “Hye Mun, this is my school mate, Hye Ri,” Kris introduces me to her.

             “Hi! Nice to meet you!” she smiled while extending her hand out for a handshake.

             “Nice to meet you too,” I answered. “So, are you Kris’ girlfriend?” I spoke up.

             She looked at Kris then at me. What led on was, she burst out laughing. Is she mocking me now?

              “Did I say something wrong?” I asked in a worried state.

              “Anni! I’m his sister,” she smiled. What? It’s just that both of them don’t look alike. Gosh, what a dumb person I am for asking that question.

              “So sorry! It’s just that both of you don’t look alike,” I answered.

              “It’s alright. You don’t have to worry. I always get that a lot,” she smiled.

             “So, you’re his Biology tutor?” she asked. I nodded in reply.

           “Ahh… I see. I appreciate that you’re tutoring him. He can be a dumb fool at times. He just needs someone to guide him since… he’s being urrggh… hopeless.”

           “Hey, I’m here you know,” Kris clicked his fingers in front of her.

            “Whatever, oppa,” she rolled her eyes.

            “Anyway, what are you doing here?” he interrogated his sister.

            “Me? I was passing by this café and I saw you studying there. And I decided to give you a call to let you know I’m here. But guess what? My own big brother was just lazy and not even bothered to even pick up my calls,” she answered him in a stern way. Kris exchanged with her a look which kind of shows that he’ll have to deal with her at home not at the café with many witnesses around them.

           “I’ve got to go now. But it was nice meeting you, Hye Ri,” she smiled. When she decided to walk away from the table, Kris called out.

           “Yah! You haven’t wish your brother goodbye!”

           “Like I’ll do that anyway since you didn’t even bother at all,” she walked off. By the time, she walked out of the café, Kris messed his hair up saying, “Aisssh! She can be a pain in the !”

           “Haha. It’s always like that when one sibling is a pain in the for the other,” I consoled him.

           “You have a brother?” he asked. I nodded in reply. Before this topic could go any deeper, I changed the subject by asking him, “Are you done?” Straightaway, he handed his worksheet to me and I begin marking it. Turns out, he got a ‘10/10’ for his quiz. After realizing that it’s already evening, we decided to end the session since both our parents might be worried about us about coming back home late.

          The moment we got out of the café, Kris said, “Thanks, Hye Ri for the session.”

         “Ahhh… It’s no problem, sunbae. After all, it’s not a big thing.”

          “But it is… for me,” Omo! Did he just say that?! Hye Ri ah, you’re a hell one lucky girl today.

          “I better go now. Before my sis stops annoying me with so many questions on why I’m home late.” He said. I laughed this time. Gosh, his sister can be quite annoying but cute, though.

          “Oh sure. Call me if you need anything,” I offered.

          “Sure sure I will. Anyway, good bye, Hye Ri,” he smiled with his pearly white teeth flashing at me.

         “Bye, sunbae,” I answered. As I turn around to head to the direction of my home, Kris spoke up.

         “By the way, Hye Ri. You don’t have to call me sunbae. You can call me, Kris.”