Chapter 16

When Love Stops

       “So, are we ready?” Joo Ee asked excitedly. The school bell had just ringed and classes are all over. Today wasn’t a bore compared to yesterday. During recess, I met Kris and his friends again. But I’ve noticed that Lay is such a shy person. He rarely talks compared to Kris and Xiumin.

         Anyway, once we had packed our bags, the three of us headed out of the class and walked towards the bus stop. Turns out, Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Suho had arrived earlier than us. Baekhyun and Chanyeol were grinning all over and to be honest, they looked kind of scary.

        “Just ignore them,” Suho said realizing that we are staring at them.

        “What do you mean?” Ha Eun asked.

        “They’re too excited for the picnic lunch,” Suho explained. Joo Ee smacked Baekhyun’s head saying, “Oppa, stop embarrassing me!”

         “Sorry,” he pouted.

         “Oh… they’re here!” I pointed at the van and the car arriving at the bus stop.

         “So, which one do we seat in?” Chanyeol asked.

         “You boys can go into my brother’s car while the rest of us will go into my brother’s girlfriend’s van,” I suggested.

         “Alright,” Suho said. Then on, everyone went to the respective vehicles. When all of us girls got into Jin Mi’s van, we all said hi to her.

          “Unnie, this is my friends, Ha Eun and Joo Ee,” I introduced them to her.

          “Annyeong, unnie,” Ha Eun and Joo Ee said.

          “Annyeong, Ha Eun and Joo Ee,” Jin Mi replied. Then, Jin Mi drove off following Jongin’s car. “So which park are we heading to?” I asked.

          “The park near my place,” she replied. Soon, all of us had arrived at the park near Jin Mi’s place. Jongin got out of his car and instructed the boys to help carry the stuff out of Jin Mi’s van.

         The ambience of the park was serene and peaceful. In front of us, was a concrete pathway flowing out like a ribbon among the green grass. Over to the right, I see a group of children playing together laughing and squealing enjoying the warmth sunshine. Parents were seated nearby watching their children like a mother hen looking after her chicks. Gentle breezes blow through your hair through the summer warmth.

        Once we got our stuff out of Jin Mi’s van, we walked on to look for a nice shady spot to seat. Luckily, we found one right under a large oak tree which was able to shade us from the hot sun.

        As everyone got settled, Chanyeol asked while rubbing his tummy, “Can we eat now?! I’m so hungry.”

         “Jagi. Can’t you wait?” Ha Eun slapped his arm.

         “It’s alright. We can eat now anyway,” Jongin said.

         “Thank you so much, hyung!” Chanyeol sighed loudly in gratitude. Then, he immediately grabbed the picnic basket when Ha Eun quickly grabbed it from his grasp.

          “Oppa! Can’t you wait?” Ha Eun was annoyed at him.

          “Yah… Hyung said we can eat-”

           “But you still have to wait for the others!” Ha Eun cut him off.

          “Hey, we’re not supposed to have any arguments here especially when we’re in front of hyung and noona here,” Suho intervened.

          After realizing that they were making themselves an embarrassing matter in front of Jongin and Jin Mi, both of them apologized with their heads bowed down, “Sorry.”

          “You don’t have to apologize. Me and Jin Mi were like the both of you when we were in high school,” Jongin assured the both of them. “Right, Jin Mi?” he said towards her.

          “It’s true. Haha we always argue for the small reasons. But its normal, after all,” Jin Mi commented.

         “Anyway, we better eat now before the food gets cold!” Jongin laughed.

         “Yeah, right. That’s your excuse for being hungry,” Jin Mi sneered at him.

     Once the food was taken out of the basket, the 6 of us were in awe at how much food Jin Mi prepared. Everything from sandwiches, hotteok (Korean pancakes), potato wedges, Kimbap to Mandoo (Korean dumplings).

          “Wow, unnie! That’s a lot. Did you prepare all of this?” I asked in amazement.

       “Yeap, I did. It wasn’t that difficult to make them,” she smiled.

       “But you forgot to mention who helped you make them,” Jongin grinned.

       “Puh-lease! I did most of the work, okay? And the only thing you have helped me so far this morning, was steaming the rice,” she squinted her eyes at him.

        “Okay okay! I give up!” Jongin lifted his arms in surrender. Every one of us was laughing at how cute they are as a couple. Next, Joo Ee was the first to grab a bite from a piece of hotteok.

        “How do you find it?” Jin Mi asked.

        “It’s super good!” Joo Ee beamed.

        While the most of us we busy eating in silence, Suho’s voice brought me into alertness. “Hye Ri?”

         “Hmmm?” I replied while I was still looking down at the grass not looking at him face to face.

          “Open your mouth,” he asked.

          “Why?” I asked still not wanting to see his face.

          “Just do it,” he demanded.

          “Fine!” I opened my mouth with my eyes closed. Suddenly, I felt something mushy in my mouth. Turns out, he stuffed a dumpling into my mouth. Soon, I’m a laughing stock even my brother could not stop laughing seeing my reaction.

          Once I quickly swallowed my dumpling, I pushed Suho saying, “Yah! What was that for?!”

         “I just wanted to play with you,” he giggled.

         “Yah! Do that one more time, and I shall stuffed that kimbap down your throat,” I warned him while pulling his blazer.

        “Okay okay!” Suho gave up. I didn’t realize that we were being watched by the people around us.

         “It’s too bad that you guys aren’t a couple,” Jongin teased.

         “Oppa!” I shouted at him.

         “I’m serious. If you didn’t have a crush on that tall guy in your school-” Jongin could not talk further as Suho who is seating beside him immediately cover his mouth with his hand. Then, I noticed something suspicious between them. They were exchanging weird looks and whispered something to each other. After Suho gave him a pleading look, then Jongin exchanged him a not-to-worry look. What the hell are they doing? I swear I’m being sceptical about them right now.

          “Yah. What are you guys discussing?” I asked.

          “Oh… it’s nothing. Right, Jongin?” Suho looks flustered while looking at Jongin for some assurance.

           “It’s nothing, sis. I swear!” Jongin giggled. I gave them a warning look but then, I decided to let it go. Maybe it had nothing to do with me at all. Maybe I was being too over conscious.

             Later on, everyone was full from eating too much especially Chanyeol and Baekhyun. They were an embarrassing subject in front of us especially to their girlfriends. Their tummies were the size of a 3-month old pregnant lady. Their girlfriends were so annoyed with them so much as both of these guys have loads of gluttony in them.

            Then on, everyone was in a conversation talking about random topics, especially when it’s about Jongin and Jin Mi’s relationship. And as usual, Jongin was like some love counsellor advising Chanyeol and Baekhyun on how to make a relationship work. The four lovers were totally engrossed with what my brother has to say. Me? I was pretty bored. Come on, I don’t even have a boyfriend yet. What do you expect?

          Suho realized that I was being bored that he started a conversation with me.

           “You’re bored?” He asked. I nodded slowly in reply.

           “You?” I asked.

            “Same as you.” There was silence for a while.

            “Hye Ri ah? I just want to ask.”

           “Hmm?” I looked at him.

           “Are you free tomorrow? After school?” He looked into my eyes. Suddenly, there was a flashback of what happened yesterday when that motorcyclist missed me by a second.

           “I don’t think I can go,” I lied.

           “You got something to do after school?” he asked.

           “I might have a tutoring session with Kris,” I said.

           “Ohh. That guy?” he said in a reluctant manner. That guy? Wait, I thought he was okay with Kris. It’s best not to ask him about it.

           “Yeah. Maybe another time?” I suggested.

           “Okay…” he pouted.

           “Oppa, we can always hang out another time. Remember? Valentine’s Day, you’ll be over at my house?” I reminded him.

           “Oh… I forgot about that,” he said while recalling back.

           “Sheeesshh! Who’s the grandpa now?” I while I try to flick his forehead with my finger.

          “Yah! Can you stop flicking my forehead?” Suho grabbed my hand before I could even do that. I was laughing at how cute he is when he’s not happy at something. So, I decided to use my other hand to flick his forehead. But I didn’t expect Suho to be fast-thinking that he managed to grab my other hand in time. In the end, both of our hands were interlocked with each other.

         “Let go off my hands!” I begged.

         “I’ll let go if you stop flicking my forehead for today,” he negotiated.

         “Fine. I’ll stop. Happy? Now, can you let go off my hands?” I said. Then, Suho released my hands from his grip.

          “Are we ready to go now?” Jongin asked. Turns out, all of them were watching us… again. This is embarrassing now. I bet my brother is going to disturb me nonstop about what happened once we are back home.

           “Yeah… sure!” I answered in a non-hesitant manner. Soon, everyone was busy cleaning up the place and the boys help to carry the stuff back to Jin Mi’s van. Once everything was settled, the boys thanked Jin Mi and Jongin for the picnic lunch. I can see everyone enjoyed themselves today. I mean, they are. Then Jongin and Jin Mi volunteered to send everyone back home and we got into our respective cars. When all of us girls are in Jin Mi’s van, my phone vibrated meaning that a text message has just arrived.

             “Hey Hye Ri? You’re free after class? I need another tutoring session from you againJ It was Kris.

              “I’m free and… sure thingJ

              “Oh and one more thing. Do you want to have recess with me?” Did Kris just type that?! Without hesitation, I quickly replied:

               “I would love to haha.”

               “Alright. See you tomorrow. J

              “See youJ

    After the text, I put back the phone back into my pocket and continued to have a chat with Jin Mi and the girls.


To be honest, I felt this chapter is quite crappy T.T. Haha cause I was doing it late at night, so I was crapping a lot back then HAHA. So what do you think? :)