Chapter 20: Valentine's Day

When Love Stops

      Days have passed by quickly and soon enough, it was Valentine’s Day. As usual, every student in my school would celebrate it like… it’s a big thing. The principal and the teachers would let students do what they want for the day. For example, they will have this ‘speaker’s corner’ (sort of) which allows everyone to come up and confess to that special person or they could perform a song or recite some poem to their loved ones. Besides, the teachers will cancel classes before recess to let the students do it. Well, everyone is into Valentine’s Day… but me? Nope, I would rather just not get involved in the Valentine’s spirit and just prefer the hours to go by.

        When I have arrived in school, the whole atmosphere was noisy and all the colours I see were pink and red. Couples were exchanging chocolates and roses with each other. I mean, the whole scenario was romantic but I’m just so frustrated that I’m not like one of those girls. *Sigh*

            “Hye Ri!” Joo Ee and Ha Eun called. Once they had come over, they both gave me a hug saying, “Happy Valentine’s Day!”

           “You don’t have to wish me that, girls. I’m not… like you,” I clarified while looking down at the floor.

           “Yah Hye Ri! Valentine’s Day is not just for couples, it’s for everyone to celebrate!” Joo Ee cheered me up.

           “And after all, someone might be with Kris one day,” Ha Eun teased.

           “Yeah right. Like I would ever be with him,” I sighed.

           “You will one day. By the way, want to go to that speaker’s corner? The guys are waiting over there,” Joo Ee asked. I nodded in reply.

          Then on, we headed over to the speaker’s corner. To my surprise, a huge crowd of students were standing around the stage listening to what a student has to confess. Once we managed to look around, we have found out that Suho was among the front row. When I saw his face, I tried not to remember what had happened at the arcade centre. I hope he does not take it the other way even though he might not have seen it. You have to calm down, Hye Ri. At least, you took the courage to say hi to him the other day. Chill, maybe he didn’t see it.

            “Suho!” Joo Ee and Ha Eun called. He turned around when he heard their voice.

           “Hey!” he replied. When he saw me, everything was awkward. Should I say hi to him?

            “Hey, Hye Ri,” he smiled. Phew! At least, he’s smiling now. All I’ve need to do now, is to just ignore that incident.

            “Hey,” I smiled back in reply. Soon enough, we were hugging each other as friends. Then, he whispered into my ear, “Happy Valentine’s Day.”

             “Happy Valentine’s Day to you too,” I whispered back in his ear. When we were released from each other, both of those girls teased, “Aaaaww…. See Hye Ri? It’s for everyone not just us.”

             “Ok fine,” I rolled my eyes. Then, I had just realized that Chanyeol and Baekhyun weren’t around.

             “Oppa, where are Chanyeol and Baekhyun?” I asked. “Yeah, where are they?” Ha Eun asked after realizing the same as me.

             “Them? I don’t know. They told me they wanted to get something,” Suho replied. While Ha Eun and Joo Ee weren’t looking, Suho gave me a wink. And from that moment, I knew both of them were up to something.

          Next thing, everyone was clapping as the person on the stage has left after confessing his love for that lucky girl. The emcee got up onto the stage and said, “Wow. That was some one of a kind confession you made, lover boy! Anyway, next up, we have two performers who want to perform a song for their girlfriends who are right in front here. Please give a hand for Baekhyun and Chanyeol!!!” Everyone cheered as Chanyeol and Baekhyun got up on the stage.

           I saw Joo Ee and Ha Eun were covering their wide open mouths with their hands as they were in shock. Then, Baekhyun took the mic and made a small speech saying, “We just want to say that we wrote this song a couple of months ago for both our girlfriends here. It’s called ‘Baby’ and hope you guys enjoy it.”

        Seconds later, Chanyeol began the song by strumming his guitar with his lean fingers. Baekhyun’s voice then filled the quiet surroundings with those words:

               내가 눈감아 기도한 순간이

          그대 에인 맘을 안아줄게 천천히

        His voice was so soothing and appeasing that the words of the lyrics come alive through the song. Even though, Chanyeol’s voice was very deep, he still manages to hit some of the notes which are totally out of his voice range. Soon, everyone in the crowd was waving their arms as they were being serenaded by their voices. Once the song ended, everyone was whistling and applauding. Chanyeol and Baekhyun took the mic and said, “Happy Valentine’s Day, jagiya.” What happened next was Chanyeol and Baekhyun got down from the stage and walked towards Ha Eun and Joo Ee. The crowd was chanting on them with words such as, “KISS HER! KISS HER! KISS HER!” When both couples kissed, the crowd went wild cheering and whistling.

          The emcee returned to his job and he grabbed the mic saying, “That… is one amazing performance and the best part? They wrote it! You girls are so lucky to have them! Give another hand for them!” Claps and cheers were followed after that. As the emcee was announcing the next person to be on stage, Ha Eun and Joo Ee reprimanded Suho saying, “Yah Suho, you were lying to us aren’t you?”

          “Bo yah! If I tell the both of you, the fun would be spoiled right?” Suho argues back.

          “Jagi, leave Suho alone. He did help us a lot,” Chanyeol butted in.

          “Sorry,” Ha Eun and Joo Ee apologized.

          “It’s alright,” Suho smiled. All of a sudden, Suho’s expression changes into something displeaseful when he saw something behind me. I turned around and I had realized why Suho’s expression was like this.

           “Hey!” Kris was now standing in front of me.

           “Hey there!” I smiled. I saw Ha Eun and Joo Ee were giggling beside me. Oh gosh, can’t they… make it not obvious? My inner voice tells me they should deserve a slap on a face. Then, Kris handed me a single red rose and he said, “Happy Valentine’s Day.”

            “Oh wow. Thank you, Kris,” I said while taking a sniff from the rose. It smelled sweet and… refreshing.

             “I was just wondering…” Kris said.

             “Hmmm?”

             “Are you free after school… for Valentine’s lunch?” Kris asked.

             “Yeah, I’m free!” I answered without hesitation.

             “That’s cool! I’ll see you after school and I’ll get my driver to pick us up, alright?”

             “Wait… you have a driver?” I was astounded.

             “Yeah, I do… I’ve got to go now so I’ll catch up with you after school?”

             “Yeah, sure.”

             “See you!” And then, he disappeared among the crowd. As he left, both girls were jumping over me screaming, “See! You’re going to be with Kris after school!”

             “Yah Yah! It’s just lunch!” Gawd, I’m such a deniable person.

             “Puh-lease. Didn’t you hear what he said? Valentine’s lunch? Rings a bell?” Ha Eun brushed it off annoyingly while snapping her fingers in front of me. Then, I looked around and the person who was missing was… Suho.

             “Where’s Suho?” I asked.

             “Oh yea. Where is he?” Joo Ee asked. Then, Baekhyun answered, “He told us that someone wanted to see him… but he should be around somewhere in school.”

             “Really? Because he would join us for recess right after this and he said he was paying for our meals,” Chanyeol said.

             “He’s paying… for you guys’ meals?” I asked.

             “Yeap. Cause he lost in a bet among us the other day so… he has to pay for our meals,” Chanyeol grinned.

             “I see. But since recess is starting, do you want me to get him now?” I offered.

             “If you want to,” Baekhyun said.

             “Alright. I’ll look for him now and see you guys at the cafeteria!” I said as I walked off to look for Suho. Now where could he be? Could he be in the drawing room? Or in his classroom?  Maybe I should try the classroom. Without hesitating, I made my way towards Suho’s classroom. As I was reaching towards the class entrance, a feminine voice was heard.

              “I have a confession to make, Suho sunbae.” Suho? Upon picking up that voice, I quickly peeped through the windows and right there, Suho was leaning against one of the tables and a girl was standing in front of him with her head bowed. Suho has his arms crossed as he looked at her.

              “What is it?” he asked.

               “I have…a crush… on you, sunbae. It’s been 3 years, sunbae. So, I decided that I should confess to you to let you know how… I feel?” Suho continued to look at her.

               “I see. So, all this time you were the one… who send me those box of chocolates those past two years?” She nodded her head in reply. Then, he got up from the table and said, “Look at me.” She immediately looked up at him.

             “It’s nice and… honest of you to tell me how you feel about me... but, I’m afraid I cannot accept it.”

             “Is there a reason?” She looked at him desperately.

             “I don’t know how to explain it to you. It’s that… I have deep feelings for someone else and I’m sorry… that you’re not the one.”

              “It’s alright, sunbae-” she quickly brushed off.

              “It’s not that. But I feel that I may not be that someone who can commit to this relationship and I’m not that perfect guy which you may think that I could make you happy.”

               “It’s okay, sunbae. Thank you for telling me. Anyway, I have to go now,” she said as she turned to make her way towards the entrance. Suho patted her shoulder and said, “I’m sorry alright. I hope you find someone who can make you happy.” And then, she hurried herself out of the class. When I saw her, tears were streaming down her face and she ran towards the washroom.

             As Suho walked out, he was surprised that I was standing there right outside class.

              “You heard everything?” he stuttered.

              “Oppa, why did you do this to her?” I raised my voice.

              “I’m telling her the truth!” He justified.

               “Yes, the truth! But did you know those words hurt her so much and I think you didn’t notice it. She was crying when she walked out this classroom!”

               “I’m trying my best to tell her that I’m not fit for her. See, simple!”

               “But when you said those words, that… brought her confidence down!”

               “Fine, if you say so… I should go and apologize to her!” He said as he walked towards the washroom. I quickly took hold of his wrist and I said, “Now’s not the time to tell her…. Give her a few more days, alright and try to mend things.”

           “Alright, Hye Ri.” He sighed. “By the way, what were you doing here in the first place?” he asked curiously.

            “I was looking for you because the rest of the gang are waiting for us at the cafeteria,” I rolled my eyes.

          “So, shall we go?” he asked. I nodded in reply. Then, we had left off the cafeteria. Thoughts were clouding my mind on who’s that girl he has feelings for. Could it be one of those girls in his class? Maybe one day…


So, how do you find it? I tried my best to make this chapter interesting. So... hope you can comment! :D