Chapter 28

When Love Stops

             “Beeeeeeeepp!!! Beeeeeeepp!!!” The sound of a car horn alerted the three of us in my room. Joo Ee sprinted towards the window and took a glimpse to see whether it was Kris. “Omo! He’s here!” Joo Ee jabbered.

          “Oh my god! Oh my god! What should I do?” I freaked out while covering my face with my hands in embarrassment. “Yah… don’t worry, alright? Trust us, everything will turn out fine,” Ha Eun convinced. I took a deep breath and I stood up from my desk chair. “How do I look?” I asked them while smoothing out my bandage skirt which Joo Ee lent me. “You look… awesome!” Ha Eun gave me an encouraging thumbs up. “But thank you guys… for the makeover,” I acknowledged them once more.

          “You don’t have to thank us. Seriously, you need to look good in front of Kris. Anyway, you better go now. You don’t want Kris to be waiting for you!” Joo Ee rushed. Without hesitation, I took Ha Eun’s handbag with me and I ran down the stairs. Mum was waiting at the front door and when she saw me, she gave a big smile and said, “Your friend is here!” I gave her a kiss on the cheek and said, “Good bye mum.” “Have fun and by the way, you look wonderful!” my mum commented. “Aww… thanks mum! Bye!” I walked out of the door and out into the porch. What I saw was a silver Porsche parked right outside the gate. I closed the gate and took a deep breath before stepping into the car.

            When I entered into the car, Jay Park’s Joah was playing on the stereo. Kris was at the driver’s seat with his hand on the steering wheel. He was wearing a beige fitted collar shirt in a blue sweater and khaki pants. Kris noticed my appearance and commented, “You look… perfect.” I blushed in embarrassment and I swore my cheeks are pumped with warm red blood. “Thanks,” I responded shyly. “Let’s go,” he mumbled as he shifted the gear into driving mode, and we left the house. “Erm… where are we going?” I asked him. “I can’t tell you. It will be a surprise then,” he smirked.

           After endless minutes of driving around, Kris drove the car to the side of the road. I was pretty surprised when he stopped the car instead of driving on. Kris suddenly came over to my side and opened the glove box. He then took out a black tie and then he said calmly, “Hye Ri, I want you to close your eyes.”

           “Is there anything going on?” I stammered nervously. “Nothing is going on. You’ll see when you have to take it off,” he answered. “Close your eyes,” he said in a stern way when he noticed I wasn’t closing my eyes. That instant, my eyes clenched shut fearing what was he trying to do. Just then, I felt there was not a hint of light shining through my eyelids as that piece of soft fabric covered my eyes. I felt his hands were making a knot behind my head. I was feeling paranoid and at the same time, I was trying to calm myself that what is going to happen next will be nothing bad.

             “Are you comfortable?” he asked. I couldn’t even mutter those words; instead it was just a nod. “Remember. Don’t take them off until I say so,” he warned. Come on Hye Ri. Relax. Nothing bad is going to happen… unless he turns out to be a serial killer who kidnaps women and chops them into pieces and throws them into the sea like what you watched in those thriller movies. Then, I felt the car move and the next 20 minutes was horror… for me. My mind was buzzing with ridiculous and absurd thoughts wondering where Kris might take me. It’s because first thing, we weren’t talking throughout the whole journey. It’s just the music playing in the background. Second thing, it was super suspicious of him to blindfold me. Like… what the hell is going on?

           Finally those thought just vanished when I felt the car slowed down to a stop and I heard the sound of car tires rubbing through gravel. “Can I take off this tie now?” I pleaded like a child. “Did I say you can take it off now?” he challenged. I shook my head in reply. “Then… still wear it,” he demanded. Oh gawd, what is he trying to do? What if… I was right? What if… he was some schizophrenic serial killer? Okay, shut up, Hye Ri. Enough with it. He said, it’s a surprise right? Then, surprises are meant to be good, okay? Then, the sound of a seat belt unlocking was heard. Kris’ hands were on my seatbelt as he pressed the button to release the belt. To be honest, I don’t know what the heck is going on around me. It just feels that one of your most important senses were disrupted all thanks to …one black tie. Urggh. Then, I heard Kris got out of the car. Few seconds later, he opened the car door on my side.

               Kris took the both of my hands and got me out of the car. Realizing that my handbag was not with me, I mentioned, “My bag.” “I got it,” Kris immediately responded. He then took hold of my hand and guided me. I felt I was walking on solid ground. Next thing, I was standing in a small enclosure around me and it feels like you were floating on air. It’s like… you’re in gravity. Kris’ hand was still tightly clamped around my right hand. The next moment, I felt I was standing on solid concrete ground. “I can take it off now,” Kris spoke. His hands were busy untying the knot that he had made. With a few swift moves that he had made, that piece of fabric was unveiled from my eyes. What I saw in front of me was ineffable.  Right now, I’m standing on the top of Namsan Mountain and the view around me was splendid as the whole of Seoul was brightly illuminated in the night. My mouth was wide opened as I was stunned.

                 “Surprise!” Kris screamed. “Wow… Kris, it’s beautiful,” I was at a loss of words. “Told you… anyway, we better go to that restaurant. I made a booking there.” In no time, the both of us took the lift inside the Namsan tower and we made our way towards a posh restaurant. At the counter, Kris mentioned to the man in charge, “Kris Wu, please.” The man started rummaging to the list of reservations. When he finally looked up, he said, “Please follow me.”

       We followed him and he led us to a table which faces the view of Seoul. When I had a look at the menu card, I was pretty overwhelmed by the price list. Damn. It’s so expensive and that price of the soup… ?! I think I should take the cheapest. I don’t want to make a burden on Kris, this time. Without hesitation, I ordered the cheapest they could offer which is the Aglio Olio pasta. When Kris noticed what I was ordering, he said, “Hye Ri, why are you ordering that? Take something nicer.” “But-” “It’s my treat, okay?” he hushed me. I had no choice but to order something pricey… a little and I ended up ordering Filet Mignon.

         After the waiter had left the both of us, Kris spoke up, “So you were surprised, didn’t you?” I smiled back with a grin, “Wow, Kris. I didn’t know… you planned all of this.” “Well, that’s just the beginning,” he smiled. Before I could ask him what he meant by that, the food had already arrived and as usual… we’re busy savouring the food until each of us could not make the initiative to start conversing. After we were done with dinner, Kris had already paid the meals using his credit card (obviously, rich people own these).

          As we walked out of the restaurant, cold air was brushing against my face. It was so cool that you feel that you are experiencing winter all over again. Kris broke the silence, “Do you want to check out the view?” “Sure,” I answered him. The both of us took the elevator to the observation deck. When we are out at the deck, there were a few couples walking around taking couple shots while admiring the scenery beyond them. We went towards an empty wooden bench and sat there. We were both silent… for a while until Kris spoke.

             “Hye Ri?”

             “Hmmm?” I looked up at him.

             “Remember the other day, I told you I will tell you the answer?” I nodded at him again.

             “What if… I ask you a question in order for you to find the answer?” I was getting confused. What is he trying to do? One moment, he said he will tell me the answer. The next moment, he’s asking me a question.

             “Is this a riddle or what?” I said it out in a confused tone.

             “No no… you listen,” he replied. I paused in silence and then, I said, “Okay.”

              “What I’m asking is… would you be… my girlfriend, Kim Hye Ri?” When he emphasized those words and when he looked into my eyes, I was baffled trying to register what he meant. Suddenly, everything comes clear to me.

             “Are you… there, Hye Ri?” now it’s his turn to be confused.

             “Wait… Kris, what are you trying to say? I thought… you said you were not ready?”

            “What I’m trying to say is that I wasn’t ready to answer you… on the spot when you told me you have feelings for me. But honestly, I do have feelings… for you,” he looked into my eyes so intense.

             “You do?”

             “Cause ... I don't think I've made myself clear. I am… in love with you. The things you do ... the way you think ... the way you make me laugh ... I get excited every time I'm about to see you. You make me feel like I've never felt before in my life. Like a man. I just thought you might want to know,” he explained further. I couldn’t even answer him at all.

              “So… you haven’t answered my question. Would you be my girlfriend?” I immediately smiled and said, “Yes… Kris!” The next moment, I was in his embrace as he gave me a warm feeling. When we were released from each other, he laughed, “Here’s to the first night!” I swore I could almost cry right now.

             “Anyway, I better send you back home. I don’t want your parents to be worried about you.” He said when he saw that it was late when he checked his watch. “Sure,” I replied. Without hesitation, we got down from Namsan Tower through the cable car transport. After that, Kris drove me back. Throughout the journey, Kris’ hand was constantly holding on to mine. And it feels good to feel his presence around you.

             Finally, we were right outside my place. The both us had got out of his car and we walked towards the gate. As we stood, we are facing each other and our eyes are interlocked. We suddenly giggled realizing that we were just staring at each other and not talking at all.

             “So-”

             “So-” we said it at the same time.

             “You go first,” Kris offered.

             “Well… thank you so much, Kris,” I smiled shyly at him.

             “Hey, it’s alright. No big deal though,” Kris brushed it off.

             “Then, I better go in-” I said.

             Before I could make a move, Kris shouted, “Wait!” At the same time, he grasped my hand and pulled me in closer. I stared deep into his eyes, suddenly seeing the future I really wanted. He leaned closer and whispered "I love you". Then he kissed me with much enthusiasm and meaning with every second that passed. We kissed until I had to pull away for a breath. He chuckled a bit and patted my head saying, “Good night, Hye Ri.” My lips were already stung by his until I couldn’t say anything out.

              “Good night,” I whispered. He then went back into his car and he drove off leaving the road quiet and empty. I walked into my house and I knew that what happened minutes ago was something unforgettable.


Super sorry for the late update. >< Due to college assignments pouring in, I don't have the time to update. So another apology to my subscribers and viewers T.T *bows in forgiveness*