Chapter 27

When Love Stops

         “I have… feelings… for you… Kris,” I nervously stammered. He looked at me with an appalled expression. Then, he broke the silence, “Why… and since when?” I tried to make my stand by saying, “It’s just that I do like some qualities… in you. You’re someone who’s… different than the other guys that I know. I mean, you always text me to check up on me… and I feel you’re being very considerate at all. Y-y-you’re a nice guy for introducing me to your friends. It feels like… you’re making me special,” I faltered while trying to make a list out of him.

         He looked at me with those intense eyes and said, “So… you had feelings for me… ever since the whole tutoring session came… about?” His voice suddenly just went shaky. I shook my head in reply without looking into his eyes. Although it might sound ridiculous to have a crush on him since the first year, but it’s better to be sincerely honest with him. “Since the first year,” I blurted out. “That… is long,” Kris realized as he counted the years with his fingertips.

          “The thing is… Kris, that was infatuation… back then. But, my feelings towards you started growing ever since we’ve been hanging out…,” I try to reasoned out my explanation. He nodded his head in approval and it was just pure awkward silence. Okay, is he going to reject me? Or did I just make a big mistake in telling him? Doubtful thoughts were clouding my mind at the moment and I’m starting to feel very inferior. He stood up straight and now, I was wondering what is he going to say to me.

           “Hye Ri… that was… unexpected,” he muttered. Is that the only thing he can comment? “What do you mean?” my voice became suddenly concerned. “It’s just that… it’s like an impact to me. I mean… I never expect you to have feelings for me.”

           “Oh, then… I’m sorry,” I stuttered. “Don’t be,” he emphasized both of those words and then, he continued, “I need time… to think this through, Hye Ri. Besides, I’m not ready… at all. But I want to thank you, Hye Ri for being honest towards me. I really mean it,” he glanced at me while placing his hand over my hand. “I understand… Kris,” I didn’t look back at him. Then, the school bell had rung signalling that recess is finally over. The both of us had got up from our bench. I was still not looking at him; instead my eyes were just on the cold cement floor.

            Suddenly, he placed his thumb under my chin and nudged it upwards and both our eyes were interlocked. “I’ll text you… if anything happens, alright?” he gave a small smile. I gave him a small nod. Then, without saying bye to him, I just walked off and went back to my class with my head bowed. But I did hear his voice calling my name but I just pretended to take no notice of it.

          Then, I felt someone bumped me on the shoulder. I looked up and it was Suho. “Hey, Hye Ri! I didn’t see you during recess. Where were you?” he smiled with that boyish smile of his. I couldn’t smile back at him, this time. My lips couldn’t move to form a smile. “Oh… I was at the library… doing some work,” I lied.

           “Okay… Cause you weren’t with us during recess,” he explained. He suddenly noticed my solemn expression and he asked in concern, “Are you okay, Hye Ri?”

          “I’m… alright. I just feel tired,” I brushed his question off. “Yah…you better not study too much, alright? I’ve got to get back to class. See you!” he patted my cheek with that cheery smile of his. Then, he left off and I was standing alone while the crowd of students had retreated back to their classes. When I had arrived at my classroom, Ha Eun and Joo Ee were waiting for me wanting to know what had happened. They portray an expression of worry when they saw me walking gloomily towards my table.

            I turned my chair the other way round in order to face them. “What’s wrong? Did it turn out well?” Ha Eun asked in concern. I looked at them and shrugged, “I had a feeling that it didn’t work out and besides… I just made myself an embarrassment in front of Kris.”

          “What did he do? And what did you say to him?” Joo Ee further investigated. I replied, “I told him the reason why I had my feelings for him and he just said that it’s like… a major thing…. just happened to him. And… he needs time to think about it.” Joo Ee shook her head in disappointment while Ha Eun slapped her palm against the table.

          “I can’t believe this,” Ha Eun muttered. “What do you think?” Joo Ee asked. Ha Eun sighed in frustration before responding, “Come on… You told him how you feel and… all he just said… was an unexpectation to him?! What the hell!”

          “But it’s not his fault that he has to say that?! Maybe he was being crept out when I started to have feelings for him for just two months!” I retaliated. Joo Ee cut in saying, “You don’t get this, Hye Ri. He should have respect for what you said and he just turned you down like… you were some dinner invitation!”

          “But… Hye Ri, did he say anything else besides what you told us?” Ha Eun interrogated. Then, I suddenly remembered on what he had said about texting me. “He did mention… that he was going to text me if anything happens,” I uttered.

          “Then… don’t consider this as just the end. He may need time to think about it and maybe he will tell you,” Joo Ee explained. “So, you guys should think that I should wait?” I confirmed again. The both of them had nodded at me.

         “You guys are right. He does need time,” I muttered. Seconds later, “Anyway, sorry that you know… we kind of overreacted just now,” Ha Eun apologized. I eyed the both of them and said, “You guys shouldn’t overreact. I thought what the hell were you guys pissed at Kris suddenly,” I reasoned out.

          “Yah! We wouldn’t have overreacted if you didn’t mention to us about Kris texting you soon!” Joo Ee retaliated back. Then, I had noticed that I didn’t mention it to them until Ha Eun asked me that question. “Sorry… guys,” I laughed nervously. “It’s alright, but just give him some time, okay?” Ha Eun gave an encouraging look. While I thanked them again, our Chemistry teacher had arrived at our class. Joo Ee and Ha Eun are right. I shouldn’t just be sad and emotional for no reason just because Kris said that it was unexpected to him. He just needs time, that’s all. Anyway, I’ve decided to leave those thoughts behind and just pay attention for the next lesson.

…………………………………………………………………………………………............................................................................................... 

THE NEXT DAY

 

       Hours have passed and there still wasn’t a message from Kris. Everything was mundane from sleeping, eating to    studying. That’s what a student’s life is about… maybe not, actually. While the last class of the day was going on, I was busy doing some tutorial questions like what Mr Kang had instructed. While I was busy writing an answer for the last question, my hand phone vibrated. While looking up to ensure that Mr Kang wasn’t looking, I quickly took my hand phone out from my pocket to check for any new messages. Turns out, Kris just texted me a message written:

             “Hye Ri, are you there?” I was a little hesitant on whether I should reply him or not.

              “I’m here. Is there anything?” Gawd, I sounded like some sales assistant asking a customer whether do they need anything. A couple of seconds later, he replied:

              “Will you be free tonight? For dinner?” How should I reply him? Should I accept his invitation or should I just reject it? I showed the text to Ha Eun and Joo Ee behind me. The both of them took my phone and took a glance at it.

              “Should I accept it?” I whispered to the both of them. “Just say yes!” Joo Ee cheered on. “Alright,” I answered her. I replied back, “Sure, it would be fine.” Seconds later:

              “That’s great. In the meantime, can you text me your home address? I’ll pick you up from your place.” I texted him my address and sent it to him. He then replied,

              “Cool! I’ll pick you at 7, okay?”

              “Okay J I put my phone back into my pocket. The both of them tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around to face them.

             “So, what did he say?” Ha Eun asked.

             “He’ll pick me up at 7,” I grinned in reply. “Omo! See! I’m sure he would text you!” Joo Ee gushed. “But I was wondering… why would he want have dinner… with me? You know, instead of meeting me after school and telling me in the face,” I wondered in confusion.

              “Maybe… he wants to do that because you know, he wants to find a moment where he can tell you how he feels,” Ha Eun answered. “It’s true… I mean, I think school time is not you know… the time to tell it out,” Joo Ee joined in.

              “You guys are right,” I agreed with the both of them. “See! We told you that it will not be the end!” Joo Ee laughed. Then, the school bell rang. Mr Kang got up from his seat and wished everyone good bye before heading out of the class. As I got my bag pack ready on my shoulders, Ha Eun asked, “Do you want the both of us… to come over?”

             “What for?” I asked in curiosity. “You know… make up?” Joo Ee hinted while mimicking a person putting blusher on her face. “Why would I need makeup for a dinner?” I asked eagerly. “Yah… do you want to go on a date looking barefaced?” Ha Eun said it sarcastically.

              “Sorry guys… but I don’t wear makeup,” I rejected their offer. “Aaawww please Hye Ri? We’ll only put BB cream on your face okay?” Joo Ee begged. What’s BB cream? Bye Bye cream?” I stared at the both of them. Honestly, I have no experience in makeup. That’s why; I have no idea what the both of them talk about sometimes when it comes to makeup. Ha Eun face palmed herself and said in an annoyed tone to Joo Ee, “Don’t tell me she doesn’t know what BB cream is.”

          “Bo yah! I’ve never used makeup throughout my entire life, okay?” I replied discontentedly. “It’s okay, Hye Ri. We’ll go to your place and we’ll show you how it looks like, okay?” Joo Ee calmed me down. “Alright. But what time would you guys come over?” I asked.

           “Let’s just say about 5?” Ha Eun suggested. “Oh my god, why do you guys have to come so early? It’s only makeup right?” I was shocked. “Yah, we’re not only going to do your makeup, too! You need a good outfit to go out with Kris,” Ha Eun explained.

           “Okay… but… but the only clothes in my closet are just T-shirts,” I told them. Joo Ee then said, “We can bring our clothes over to your place. After all, we’re the same size, right?”

           “Alright. Then I’ll see you guys at 5 and thanks again!” I thanked them. “It’s no problem, Hye Ri! Anyway, it’s going to be a special day for you!” Joo Ee cheered. I laughed back in reply. Then, I had just realized that my mum might be waiting for me outside the school. So, I quickly said to them, “I’ve got to go guys! See you later!” When they said bye, I quickly rushed out of the classroom towards the bus stop. I guess that today is going to be a long day, then…


Sooo.... how was it? HAHA :P