Chapter 14

When Love Stops

        “How was school, girl?” Mum asked at the dinner table.

        “It was fine, mum.” Everyone was busy eating and Jin Mi joined us for dinner today.

        “Jin Mi, take some of these,” my dad passed her a plate of fried lotus root towards Jin Mi.

        “Kamsahamida, Mr Kim,” Jin Mi thanked as she took some from the plate.

        “Aigoo… You don’t have to talk so formal in front of me. After all, you’re going to be a new member to the family soon,” he joked while Jin Mi blushed in embarrassment.

        “Yeobo! Don’t rush things too fast for them. Let them study first,” my mum disapproves his statement while slapping his arm.

       “I agree with mum, dad. After all, it’s only for me and Jin Mi to decide when we’re ready,” Jongin said.

        “Arasso. Maybe I’m too excited that my son has found someone that he loves,” he smiled. Soon, the whole situation was quiet as everyone was busy eating and savouring mum’s food.

            After dinner was over, my mum said, “Jongin, can you help clean the dishes?”

        “Can’t you ask Hye Ri to do it?” Jongin sighed.

        “No. She has done it for the past few days. It’s your turn now,” she demanded.

        “But I want to spend time with Jin Mi!” he made an excuse.

        “No excuses, Kim Jong In. Do it now! You can spend time with her later,” my mum raised her voice. When my mum mentions our full names when she wants us to do something, she is really serious that we should do it instantly.

         “Fineee! Hye Ri, can you entertain her for a while? I’ll be back soon,” Jongin asked as he walked slowly towards the kitchen. I nodded as a reply. I made my way to the living room and Jin Mi was seating on the couch staring at her phone. She noticed my presence when she felt someone was sitting beside her.

        “Hey,” she smiled.

        “Hey,” I replied.

       “Hye Ri, I was wondering, are you free the day after tomorrow?” she asked.

       “Yeah, I am. Why?” I was curious.

       “I was thinking of meeting up with you for lunch. We can have a picnic, you know, after your school time ends. But I just want to be sure, you know, whether you’re free,” she said.

       “Oh sure. It’s fine. But you don’t have classes at that time?”

       “Nope. The lecturer suddenly cancelled his class due to some emergency. So, I’m free the whole day,” she explained.

       “But how am I going to meet you after school?” I asked.

       “Don’t worry. You don’t remember that I drive, do you? I can fetch you after school.”

       “That’s cool. You and me for lunch,” I smiled.

       “But…it’s not only you. I wanted to call your friends to come along, too,” she said. “Besides… I want to meet that ‘special’ best friend of yours, that Suho guy?” she grinned.

        “Oh sure. But can all of them fit in your car?” I was worried imagining the 7 of us stuffed up in her car.

        “It’s alright. I drove a van remember?” Then, an insight flashback brought me to remembering that time when Jin Mi fetched Jongin from our house.

        “Ohhh ohhh I forgot! Silly me,”I laughed while face palming.

        “So do remember to tell them tomorrow, alright?” she reminded. I smiled in reply. Then, Jongin appeared and sat on the couch and put his arm around Jin Mi.

        “What’s this I’m hearing?” he asked.

        “Oh, I just told Hye Ri that I want to meet up with her for a picnic lunch. And I ask her to call her friends along,” she answered.

        “Really? Wow, you didn’t bother to call your boyfriend along?” he asked sarcastically.

        “I was planning to call you along, dumbo,” she replied harshly at him while using her finger to push his forehead.

         “Miannhe, jagi. I was joking, alright?” he pouted and he kissed her cheeks. And now, he’s kissing her forehead and they were grinning at each other. Oh my god, can they not do this in front of me?

         “Urrgghh! Get a room, you people!” I was disgusted at what my brother is doing.

         “Yah! You would do the same as me once you finally get a boyfriend,” he fought back.

         “Like I would ever do that in front of everyone,” I rolled my eyes in annoyance.

         “Jagi, stop bullying your sister,” she beat his arm.

         “Arasso. Sorry, Hye Ri,” he apologized.

         “You better. And I’m not going to be your ‘light bulb’ the next time you do something which I don’t want to know at all,” I remarked at him.

         “Anyway, we’re going to fetch Hye Ri and her friends after school and bring them to the park using my van.” Jin Mi changed the subject.

         “But, Jin Mi. Can they all fit in your van? I mean, how many of Hye Ri’s friends are coming along?” he ask worriedly.

         “Oh ya, Hye Ri. How many of them?” she asked when she looked at me.

          “Let me guess. There’s Suho, Joo Ee, her boyfriend, Ha Eun and hers. So altogether with you guys, it will be 8.”

           “See, jagi. How can 8 of us fit into your van? Why not I’ll bring my car along so the boys will sit in my car and the girls will sit in yours?” he suggested.

           “Ohhh… Sounds like a good idea, after all,” she smiled.

           “Seee….! You should be lucky to have a smart boyfriend,” he pinched her nose. Are they going to do it again? This is getting out of hand, right now.

          Luckily, Jin Mi realized that I was being a ‘light bulb’ at the corner and she spoke up, “Do you guys want to watch a movie? I brought some DVDs.”

          “Oh sure! What do you have?” I asked.

          “Let’s see…” she searched through her handbag and she managed to fish out a few DVDs and she passes it to me and Jongin. After going through which DVDs to watch, Jongin and I agreed to watch The Hangover Part III. After I placed the disk into the DVD player, we got ready on the couches as the DVD player was playing the movie.

          “Dang! We didn’t have popcorn,” Jongin pouted.

          “Never mind about that. The most important is that the three of us are watching together,” she shushed him.

         After going through half of the movie, my phone in my pocket vibrated signalling that a text message has arrived. I took my phone out and it was a text from Suho.

         “Hey, are you free after school?”

         “Nope. Why?” I replied.

         “I was thinking… do you want to hang out after school?”

         “Sure. Won’t be a problem. But where are we going to hang out?”

         “We’ll discuss that tomorrow, alright?”

         “Alright. But what happen to you this morning?”

         “What do you mean?”

         “At the cafeteria. Remember? You called Kris a jerk.”

         “Oh that. Sorry, Hye Ri but I was in a bad mood.”

         “You don’t like Kris do you? Be honest with me, Suho.”

         “How do you know?”

         “I’m not dumb, Suho.”

         “You’re right. I mean… I don’t trust him.”

         “Suho… you can’t judge him like that. He’s a nice guy, I’m serious. Once you get to know him, it’s different.”

         “Arasso, Hye Ri. I’ll try alright? Anyway, I got to go. So see you! J

         “See you too, oppa. J

          Once I put my phone back into my pocket, I had realized that Jin Mi was watching me all along.

          “Is that Suho?” she asked. My eyes went wide and I was worried that my brother might hear it.

          “Don’t worry. He’s asleep… for now,” she said annoyed at him. I looked over the end of the couch. True enough, my brother was sleeping soundly like a baby hugging onto a pillow.

          “Yeap. It’s him,” I said.

          “Okay. Got something important to do with him?” she asked.

          “Yeap. He wants to hang out with me after school,” I explained.

          “That’s cool…. Anyway, we better stop talking. We don’t want to miss out most of the movie,” she patted my thigh. Then on, we continued watching the movie and did mostly focus not want to miss out a single part of it. Once the movie ended, I took the DVD disk out of the player while Jin Mi woke Jongin up.

           “Jagi! Wake up!” she pushed him. His eyes slowly open and he was in a daze wondering what is happening now. When he saw that the television screen was pitch black, he said, “The movie ended?”

           “Like duh!” I answered.

           “So fast?!” he was bewildered.

           “You were sleeping, that’s why,” Jin Mi replied sarcastically.

           “Wow… I didn’t realize that I was sleeping off,” he said while rubbing his eyes. Once he was fully alert, he said, “Anyway, I better send you back home. I don’t want to get you get your parents worried.” Both of them got up and walked towards the door. My parents must have realized that they are going to leave.

          “You’re going back home, now?” my mum asked.

          “Yes, Jongin omma,” she replied. My mum gave her a hug and told her take care. Both my parents and me followed them out to the gate and gave them a goodbye.

        Jin Mi turned to me and said, “Remember to tell your friends about the picnic lunch.”

            “I will remember. But unnie, who is going to prepare the food?”

            “Oh, don’t worry. I’ll do it. After all, I’m free the whole morning,” she smiled.

            “You sure? I can help you, you know?” I offered my help.

            “You don’t have to worry. I can ask Jongin to come by my house in the morning to help me with the food.”

            “Oh, ok then,” I smiled.

            “See you then,” she said while giving me a hug. Once we were released from each other’s embrace, Jongin said, “Ready to go now?” She nodded quickly in reply. Soon, both of them were in my brother’s car and we waved them good bye once they drove off in the night.


Sorry guys! But I feel it's a short update. What do you think? T.T