Part 38

I Lost the Bet
 
    Tae Hyun was sitting in his high chair watching his father as he walked around the kitchen in search of a clean spoon. Having seen several spoons been thrown on the floor already by his son in attempt to get the child to eat by himself, Donghae finally decided that it was time to give up for the day and spoon feed the child himself. The man sighed as he opened up the drawer of utensils and pulled out a clean spoon, "At least you actually eat now." Donghae said to himself more than Tae Hyun. "Formula was twice as expensive as this... this food. I can't believe you eat this," he said as he opened another jar and sniffed it before walking over to the high chair. "This smells disgusting- I really need to talk to Hyukjae about making some organic baby food. Do you like that idea?"
 
    Tae Hyun clapped happily before slamming his hands down in the mess of baby food he had created in the tray of the high chair. "You are defiantly getting a bath after this mister." Donghae scolded before taking a spoonful of food and sending it towards the babies mouth. "Open up for daddy, please?" Donghae begged and sighed in content when the other happily took the food. "Good job, now for the next one." Donghae continued to feed Tae Hyun until he heard his phone ring. 
 
    He quickly sat down the food and wiped Tae Hyun's mouth clean before pulling out his phone and answering it. "Hello," he answered as he put the phone between his ear and shoulder and went back to feeding the baby. 
 
    "Good afternoon Mr. Lee, this is Dr. Shin from the school. I am calling about Hyunjae; there have been some problems concerning her and either you or your husband will need to come in to get her as soon as you can."
 
    Donghae sighed and gave tae Hyun another spoonful of food before answering. "Yeah, that's okay... uhh, either Hyujae or I will be there as soon as we can. I am sorry if she caused you any problems Dr. Shin." They said their goodbyes and hung up the phone. Donghae finished cleaning up the baby food since Tae Hyun seemed to have enough of it, and Donghae really didn't blame him, before pulling out his phone again to call Hyukjae. 
 
    After a few rings the his husband finally picked up his phone. "What is it babe? Something wrong?" Hyukjae answered quickly. 
 
    "Are you busy Hyukjae?" Donghae asked. "Hyunjae's school called and there has been a problem. One of us need to go pick her up and I really need to give Tae Hyun a bath. I mean if you can't go I'll just change his clothes quick and take him with but if you have some free time that would be lovely."
 
    "Of course I can go; did they tell you what it was about?" Hyukjae answered as he grabbed his car keys and waved goodbye to Hangeng before heading to his car. 
 
    "No they didn't, and thank you! You have no idea how much time this saves me- Oh Tae Hyun honey don't throw that!" Hyukjae heard Donghae's voice shout before a loud smash was heard. "I got to go Hyukjae, love you, bye!" Donghae said quickly before hanging up the phone and turning around to see a very happy baby laughing at the new mess on the floor. 
 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
    Hyukjae made his way though the administrative building and towards the deans office where the secretary told him Dr. Shin was waiting with Hyunjae. He didn't mind going to the school and handling the parental issues involving the discipline of the younger girl, but he had to admit that it was Donghae's job and not his forte. "What if she tried to steal something?" Hyukjae mumbled to himself, "Or what if she got into a fight and broke someones arm? Oh I am not ready for this." He came to the door and knocked before he heard someones voice telling him to enter. 
 
    "Good afternoon Mr. Lee nice to see you, not under these circumstances, but still nice to see you. Come on in and sit down and we can get started." Hyukjae walked up and took the empty chair next to the one he could tell Hyunjae was sitting in. "Hyunjae, now is the time to speak up if you have anything to say before I begin." The girl stayed silent and continued glancing at the floor. "I am also going to need you to take off your hat."
 
    "No." Hyunjae mumbled as she looked up and glanced pitifully at the man. "Give me detention or something because I'm not taking it off."
 
    "You will take off your hat and listen to Dr. Shin, Hyunjae." Hyukjae said as he turned to look at the girl. "Don't make me take it off your head because that is the last thing you will want me to do."
 
    "Fine." The girl sighed and pulled the hat off her head showing the short chopped up hair she now sported. Hyunjae looked at Hyukjae with tears forming in her eyes, "You happy now?" 
 
    "Oh sweetheart what happened to you?" Hyukjae said as he beckoned the girl out of her chair and pulled her into his arms. "Why didn't you just say something the moment I walked in here? I was getting prepared to give you a serious parent speech about not getting into fights or something."
 
    "Because it is embarrassing!" Hyunjae whined into Hyukjae's shoulder as she let some tears fall. "And I didn't want you or Donghae to yell at me..."
    
    "We are not going to yell at you," Hyukjae said as he let the girl pull away, "This isn't your fault." He turned to the dean who was waiting for the other to say something. "Is the school looking into this?" 
 
    "Of course we are Mr. Lee." Dr. Shin replied. "I assure you these kind of acts, or any acts of bullying, are not tolerated here. We have checked all the security camera and could not find any footage of the incident; until Hyunjae tells us who did this to her we cannot do anything I am afraid." 
 
    "Hyunjae," Hyukjae said as he looked towards the girl. "You need to tell us who did this to you. They need to make sure that whoever did this gets in trouble for it; you don't want them to get away with doing this to other people, too, do you?"
 
    Hyunjae shook her head and wiped the tears from her face. "It was this one girl on the swim team, He-Ran, I think that is her name; I don't pay attention to names much. Anyway she was mad that I beat her record at practice the other day because the coach decided to put me in the next swim race instead of her. After practice she found out that I took estrogen pills and started calling me a man... After everyone left she cornered me in the bathroom and cut off my hair." Hyunjae grabbed her hat off the chair and put it back on her head. "I guess she was trying to call me a boy." 
 
    "That's all we needed to know dear," Dr Shin said as he stood up and walked over to Hyukjae who had stood up also. "You are free to take Hyunjae home Mr. Lee and I assure you that we will take action with this. The school will call your home tomorrow with update on the situation and we promise that it will not happen again." The two men shook hands before Hyukjae was on his way out the door with Hyunjae. It wasn't until they were both in the car that either of them spoke. 
 
    "Am I going to have to tell my brother what happened?" Hyunjae said as Hyukjae started the car. 
 
    "Well," he started, "it is up to you. If you want to tell your brother about what happened then you can, if you want to lie about him then you can do that too. I won't tell him a thing you are old enough to do something like this yourself." Hyunjae just nodded and looked out the window. "But one thing I am going to do is fix your hair. Since it is going to be short it might as well look nice and not all choppy like it is now. We'll go back to the shop and I'll cut it in the back. Make it look all nice and pretty; you still have enough hair for me to do something so don't you worry."
 
    "Can you please stop reminding me about it?" Hyunjae said. "It is bad enough that it happened, I don't need you to keep talking about it!" 
 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
    "You actually did a good job Hyukjae, I'm impressed." Hyunjae said as she looked at herself in the mirror. "It's still decently long I guess and you gave me bangs at least." The girls hair no longer reached her mid back but Hyukjae managed to even it out and it now ended at the tips of her ears. The part in her hair was now gone and replaced with bangs that swept off nicely to the side, but still managed to cover a majority of her forehead. 
 
    "Of course I did a good job, I'm the best damned hair, makeup, and fashion stylist that this tiny little town has ever seen." Hyukjae responded. "And believe it or not you were the first person whose hair I cut besides my own so be happy that it came out as good as it did."
 
    The girl took her hat and threw it at the other. "You are so full of yourself sometimes! I don't understand how my brother loves you!" 
 
    "Ahh, well you see you little brat he did so you will have to deal with it." Hyukjae replied as he threw an arm around the girl. "Now let's get home before Donghae is calling complaining that we are late for dinner."
 
    The two walked through the front door both going their separate ways once they stepped inside. Hyunjae ran strait the the living room where she threw her backpack onto the couch and walked over to Tae-Hyun who was crawling around on the floor contently chasing Bada. Hyukjae walked into the kitchen and kissed Donghae hello before he was bombarded with questions. "Is she in trouble? We aren't going to have to pay a fine or anything are we? Nothing bad has happened to her?"
 
    "Everything is fine, Donghae." Hyukjae replied to his husbands questions. "It's all taken care of; if you want to ask her what happened then go do it. As for me I am going to go let our son know that his father still exists." Hyukjae walked off into the living room while Donghae stayed in the kitchen and continued to cook dinner. 
 
    Donghea heard Tae-Hyun squeal loudly, "Hyukjae don't you dare do anything stupid!" he yelled. 
 
    "I know who to take care of my own kid!" Hyukjae replied. "They were happy squeals so stop your worrying." 
 
    Donghae sighed to himself and turned around to being setting the table when he saw Hyunjae standing in the doorway. He looked his sister up and down before saying anything. "What happened to your hair?" he asked. 
 
    "Hyukjae cut it for me. Do you like it?" She asked.
 
    "It looks cute. Now tell me why I had to send Hyukjae to the school to get you?" Donghae asked getting strait to the point. 
 
    "Hyukjae cut my hair to fix it because some girl on the swim team cornered me in the bathroom and cut it off." Hyunjae said as she looked up at her brother. "You aren't mad that it is short now are you? I tried my best to keep her from cutting it but I couldn't do anything." Hyunjae started too cry again.
 
    Donghae put down the stack of plates he was holding and walked over to his sister before pulling her into a hug. "Why would I be mad at you for something that you didn't do?" 
 
    "I don't know." Hyunjae sniffled as Donghae wiped her eyes with his shirt sleeve. "She found out that I took pills to help me devolve correctly and then cut off my hair so I would look more like a boy. I thought you would be mad because I looked more like a boy and less like a girl now."
 
    "Hyunjae I will love you no matter what you look like." Donghae responded. "It doesn't matter to me if you look more like a girl or a boy, I still think that you are beautiful either way; and don't worry about your short hair. Hyukjae did a good job and it looks good on you. Rock that hair cut girly, make everyone jealous of your insanely pretty face." Donghae smiled as his sister smiled and hugged him tightly. 
 
    Hyukjae ruined the prefect brother sister moment as he ran into the kitchen carrying Tae-Hyun. "Guy, I know you are all in a moment but the baby just talked!" 
 
    "He said his first words and I missed it?" Donghae shrieked. "Tae-Hyun you need to speak again for daddy. Can you say something for daddy?" Donghae begged as he watched Tae-Hyun stick his fingers in his mouth. "I guess not." Donghae said as he frowned and turned around to continue setting the table. 
 
    "Sis!" The little boy squealed happily as he pulled his hands from his mouth and clapped them together. "Sis!" He said again as he clapped happily and reached for Hyunjae. 
 
    Donghae quickly turned around, "Our son talked! He said his first words!" 
 
    Hyunjae smiled as she reached for Tae-Hyun and Hyukjae handed him to her. "And he said my name first!" 
 
    "Can you say daddy?" Donghae said as he got the babies attention. "Say daddy."
 
    Tae-Hyun smiled happily, "Sis!" he shouted as he pulled Hyunjae's hair.