Part 30

I Lost the Bet

 

    "Your brother is going to have a kid?" Hana said as she peered around the kitchen doorway. The girl was currently over at her friends house working on some homework, but ever since their little conversation Hana's attention had been drawn to other things. "Cool."

    "It's very cool." Hyunjae replied. as she closed her math book and walked over to the doorway to join her friend. "I don't understand why you are so fascinated by him though," Hyunjae said as they watched her brother. "That's all he's been doing for the past few days." Donghae was currently sitting on the couch with a laptop in his lap and a tub of ice cream in his hand; after telling his boss about the situation they decided that it would be best for him to work at home and let Kyuhyun handle the situation at the office. "He just sits around, works, and eats food."

    "Isn't that mothers are supposed to do when they are pregnant?" Hana asked. "What i remember from class is that pregnancy can be stressful for some people."

    Hyunjae shrugged and walked over to the fridge searching for something to snack on before pulling out a bottle of water. "I would go into a medical explanation for you but you're tiny brain wouldn't be able to handle it." She teased before being pushed lightly by Hana.

    "Yah, remember who is the older one here." Hana said as she sat down. "And also remember who got the better grade on our latest math test..."

    "You beat me by three points!" Hyunjae whined. "Three measly points because I was to lazy to answer the bonus!"

    "Those are three measly points that you do not have and I do." The older girl teased before tapping her pencil rapidly on her book before throwing it. "Jae, I'm hungry and you should feed me." Hana said as he laid her head on the table. "Then we should go outside and do something or see if your brother will let us take Bada for a walk. Maybe we would be able to go to the park and climb trees- or we could go get some ice cream!" 

    "Hana calm down you are getting carried away again." Hyunjae said as she stood up and walked over and grabbed another bottle from the fridge. "Did you take your medicine at lunch today?" she asked.

    Hana shook her head slowly before picking her bag up from the floor in search for her pill bottle. "I might have gotten distracted and forgot..." Hana took the offered bottle of water and took her medication while Hana went to ask her brother if they could take Bada for a walk. That's what the girls friendship has developed into; Hana relied on Hyunjae for simple things like reminding her to take her medicine and keeping her focused while Hyunjae relied on Hana for intellectual conversation and company. "Oppa, can we take Bada on a walk?" Hyunjae asked as she walked into the living room and sat down beside her brother. 

    "Only if you promise to be back in an hour and take you phone." Donghae replied as he continued to read over the paperwork on his computer. "And no ice cream before dinner."

    "But you just ate ice cream!" The girl complained. "That's not fair."

    Donghae looked up from his computer and smiled at his sister before patting his stomach. "I'm eating for two," Donghae said, "And the little one was craving mint chocolate chip." Despite his words Donghae reached into his pocket and pulled out ten dollars before handing it to Hyunjae. "When Hyukjae asks why you aren't hungry at dinner you didn't get the money from me." he said before going back to his work. 

    "Thank you!" Hyunjae said as she gave her brother a kiss on the cheek. "We'll be back before dinner. Come on Hana, we're taking Bada for a walk!"

    "Heck yeah!" Hana shouted from the kitchen before the sound of the door opening was heard and both girls were gone. 

    Donghae continued to sit on the couch in silence before pulling out his phone and calling Kyuhyun. The brat still didn't email him the documents he needed to finish writing the proposal he was working on, and on top of it he was still waiting for the reply about their latest project to come in. "Kyuhyun, where are my papers?" Donghae asked the moment Kyuhyun picked up the phone. "I need to get this report finished by five and I still haven't received the files you made regarding the proposition." 

    "I'm trying to get the financial work in order for you right now, Donghae." Kyuhyun answered a little annoyed. "I had to fight the ladies from the accounting department to get the forms rolling along. Apparently they were having a baby shower for one of their coworkers and didn't feel like getting anything done. Speaking of which, hows it going with the fact that you're half woman?" 

    "Do you have to word it like that?" Donghae muttered into the phone. "It sounds a lot better if you say... okay it sounds weird anyway you say it. You're just angry that you can't give birth." 

    "I'm really not." Kyuhyun answered. "I'm very happy knowing that I will not give birth to a child. Do you realize how much attention you are going to get once the media finds out about this? They won't leave you alone and it'll probably make world news." 

    Donghae sighed, "Right now I'm more worried about finding a pair of pants that fit and getting your damn paperwork so I can finish this!" Donghae decided that it was best to push all thoughts of unnecessary attention to the back of his head and hope that no one figures out his predicament. Hyukjae and him did some research the moment they came home from the hospital and found that the other few times such a thing happened the media was over it for days. He didn't want that; he just wanted to be safe and make it to his next appointment on time. "Kyu, please try and email me those papers before tonight. I need to go now, Hyukjae should be home soon to take me to the doctors." 

    "Talk to you later then, and try to get another picture of the baby. Everyone wants to see it... including me. Only because I'm curious." Kyuhyun said his goodbyes and ended the phone call. Donghae climbed off the couch, put his laptop safely on the coffee table and went to go search for shoes. Donghae was happy that this time he could actually walk out of the house wearing decent clothes instead of sweatpants. Hyukjae took it upon himself to go out and buy him pants with elastic in the waistband; his shirts still fit him for now but his husband assured him by that by the time his stomach would grow he'd have the coolest and manliest looking maternity shirts he could design. Sometimes have a designer as your husband could have its benefits. 

    "Donghae, I'm here!" Hyukjae said as the door opened. "I have the car running so let's go." Donghae finished tying his shoes and headed for the front door, which he mentally scolded Hyukjae for leaving open, and made his way to the car. "How was your day?" Hyukjae asked when the other climbed in the car. 

    "It was productive and I got a lot of work done." Donghae replied. "I also ran to the store and got stuff to make apple pie, so we are having apple pie after dinner tonight. We had ice cream too but I got hungry so I ate it." 

    Hyukjae laughed a little bit, "I wish I could just sit around all day and eat food," he said.

    "That's all you do on weekends!" Donghae made sure to chime in.

    "Yah, I do more on the weekends than just eat! I help you clean and work in the garden and other things." The two continued to play fight like the newlywed couple they were until they reached the hospital parking lot and turned off the car. Donghae tried to tell Hyukjae that it was unnecessary to park in the expecting mothers handicap spot, but Hyukjae just used the 'Well you are pregnant...' excuse and kept on walking. Rude little could have walked from the far end of the parking lot, it wouldn't have killed him. 

    "Dr. Shin the Lee's are here." The kind nurse behind the reception area shouted before pulling out the families files. It had only been a few days but all the nurses have taken a special liking to Donghae and his case; Donghae thought it was sweet to get all the attention while Hyukjae just wished people would keep their hands off of his husband. 

    "Hyukjae, Donghae who has this week been treating you?" Dr. Shin greeted the two as she appeared behind the desk. "Hasn't been too much trouble I hope? I must say I was really worried when you two called about meeting me sooner than the two week mark." 

    "We just want to discuss some things with you is all." Hyukjae answered. "And maybe see what it looks like again?" He said in more a question than a sentence. The doctor happily lead them into the ultrasound room where Hyukjae helped Donghae sit comfortably in the chair. The older ignored Donghae's complaints and claims of being capable of be able to sit in a chair himself and just smiled happily as Dr. Shin hooked up the machine. 

    Donghae whined about the coldness of the gel put on his stomach but soon got over it when he was the little blur on the screen. "This is going to amaze me every single time we come in to get an ultrasound, I hope you know that Hyuk."

    Hyukjae shook his head in agreement while the doctor held back an amused laugh. "So what did you boys want to discuss with me today?" She asked.

    "We know the chances of the child being mine and having some of my traits is really, really low," Hyukjae started as he played with Donghae's hand in his own, "But is there anyway to make it part mine or give it some of my traits? Maybe give the baby my eyes or smile... something like that."
    
    "Yes," The doctor stated. "But if you decide that's what you want to do it needs to be done now. If we wait longer than the third week of pregnancy the embryo would be too developed and altering the genetics would cause harm. " There was a lot of silence, too much silence. Hyukjae looked at Donghae being to afraid to say anything; Donghae knew how much this meant to the both of them but it was his body and he didn't know what sort of effect it would have on him. "The process would be simple and is similar to the cesarian section you would receive later on." Dr. Shin directed at Donghae. "If it were within the first week we would remove the embryo and inject it with Hyukjae's DNA, but since it is already starting to form we would make a slight incision and inject the DNA directly."

    "Would there be any harm to it?" Donghae asked. "I don't really want to do it if the baby will be hurt by it; I'm sorry Hyukjae but that's just what I feel."

    "We have no evidence saying that it would cause any harm to the child," the doctor explained. "It might work or it might not work. Never having any record of such an incident with a man before gives us no estimated results, but with trials women have done in order to change the looks of their children there is a good chance it would work. The other percentage would leave it as is and give no effect."

    Donghae bit his lip hesitantly before looking at his husband. "Think you're tough enough to have them take some of your blood?" Donghae teased. "Or are you going to cower in fear because they are coming after you with a needle?" Hyukjae smiled and threw his arms around the other in an excited hug, the baby was going to be some of his after all.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    It took a little persuading and a lot of motivational talking from Donghae before Hyukjae willingly let Dr. Shin take his blood for the DNA sample. What was even worse was the wait the couple did in the erie hospital room while they waited for right things to be done. It took a lot of fabrication and concentration in the science end of the deal to do exactly what needed to be done in order for this to happen, Hyukjae knew... He googled it after all. 

    Donghae was semiconscious and half way to crazy as Hyukjae sat next to him while holding the anesthetic over his face. Dr. Shin thought it would be nice for Hyukjae to be present while she attempted to place some of his genes within the embryo since he really didn't get to do it the first time around. "I think he is asleep," Hyukjae said as he pulled the mouth piece away from Donghae's face and watched as he breathed silently. "Yup, he's out cold."

    "Good, good," Dr. Shin muttered. "Now come over here and watch because we only get to do this once." Hyukjae had to close his eyes as she made an incision on the others stomach and stuck the fancy tube like thing inside. "Just look at the screen," Dr. Shin said. "It is a camera of what I am doing inside. This way I can do the implantation without doing a great amount of damage." Hyukjae stared at the screen intently watching as is made its way though whatever it was it was going through. He wasn't one for medical terminology, he just knew that it was somewhere in Donghae's magical lady parts. (That was awkward as for me to write.) "You see that little clump or pinkish tissue?" the doctor asked.

    "Yeah," Hyukjae answered. "It's really tiny but I see it."

    "That's your baby or the start of it at least." Dr. Shin said as she added Hyukjae's DNA to the little dot. "And you just witnessed the makings of a child being created, with hopefully some of your traits." Hyukjae squealed to himself a little bit while the doctor finished up with the surgery.

    An hour or so later Donghae was finally up and the first thing to register in his mind was the sound of Hyukjae's voice. "I seen it Hae, I really did. It was so tiny and not even there yet."

    "You saw what?" Donghae said as he yawned and stretched hi arms. "What did you get to see?"

    "The baby." Hyukjae replied. "Well the baby before it becomes the baby... it is weird to explain. Right now it is just a clump of cells that looks like a tiny little speck just clinging to your insides."

    "You mean the wall of my uterus?" Donghae said. "That is where it should be attached to."

    "Can we please not say that?" Hyukjae asked. "I'm still trying to cope with the fact that you have that. I mean it not that I don't love you for it because I do, I really do. I just find it weird that you went from a girl to a guy and now you are back to a girl again but you are still a guy and... I am starting to ramble on aren't I?" Hyukjae sighed as he made Donghae scoot over so he could have a place to lay down next to him. "It doesn't even matter what you are anyway because you are Donghae, and as long as you stay Donghae I will love you."

    "I can guarantee you that I will always be Lee Donghae." the other responded. "And I love you too, idiot."

 

The baby to be might have some of Hyukjae's traits now! Yaaaay! 

 

(Sorry the chapter was so short... I just wanted to get that part in you know? The basics behind this chapter is the "test tube" child theory. Parents can pay to have the traits of the future child alter before they are born if caught early enough or before inception. So if the parents want their child to have blue eyes and curly blonde hair it can be done. It is also used a lot in the medical field to dispose of genetic disorders that the parents genes may carry and give to their children. I hope this helps clarify! :) Reasearch for realistics.)