Part 18

I Lost the Bet

I hope you all forgive me for my April Fools joke, but I couldn't resist. This chapter is short but I hope you like it anyway~ Feed me comments?

The sun was shining, birds were singing, and the cute little friendly squirrel that lived in the tree outback was hunched over in the living room windowsill as he watched Hyukjae struggle with his new job of being a housewife. It was the opposite of the sweet princess story that is Snow White; the surrounding animals nearby didn't come running aid him with his cleaning, instead that sat quietly behind the scene and laughed. Bada carefully walked around the living room trying his best to avoid Hyukjae who seemed to be having trouble moving the couch so he could clean the area of the floor beneath it. "Know what?" Hyukjae said as he stood up strait, " you couch. You want to stay there then do it." He complained to the animate object before he kicked it and walked away, silently cringing at the new pain in his foot. He made his way into the kitchen and picked up the list of things he created of the things he should get accomplished today. Crossing out, more like murdering with pen, the 'Cleaning the Living room' he went down to the next thing on the list: Grocery Shopping. "Okay, I can do this one." Hyukjae muttered to himself as he nodded.

    "I should make a list, right Bada?" Hyukjae asked the dog who had followed him into the kitchen. He ripped another piece of paper out of the notebook on the table and grabbed his pen before walking over to the cupboard. "So what do we all need?" Hyukjae asked himself out loud before opening the door to find the shelves unbelievably bare. "So we need like... everything." Hyukjae said before scrunching up the paper and tossing it somewhere behind him. "Well that idea," Hyukjae sighed as he turned off the kitchen light and walked out to the hallway to grab his coat before putting it on. "Bada be good while I'm gone and protect the house." Hyukjae said as he grabbed his car keys off the hook on the wall and made his way to the store. 

    Hyukjae pushed the cart up and down the isles of the store in search of things to buy. So far the only things that resided in the cart were a bag of dog food, a gallon of milk, three different flavors of ice cream, and some eggs. 'What type of cheese does Donghae usually buy?' Hyukjae thought to himself as he continued to push the cart through the dairy isle as he stopped in front of the display of cheese. 'I should probably buy that shredded kind for tacos...' Hyukjae decided as he grabbed two packs of shredded cheese and some normal kind for sandwiches. "I know we have a whole container of butter." he said aloud to himself before making his way through the rest of the store. It didn't take long before his cart was filled with all the food they needed to make anything they wanted for at least two weeks. 

    "Hello- Oh Hyukjae!" the cashier said when he noticed who was in his line. "I haven't seen you in here in a while; usually your boyfriend is the one who comes shopping." 

    Hyukjae looked up at the cashier as he continued to place the last of his items on the conveyor belt. "Hello Henry, how are you?" Hyukjae asked as he smiled recognizing his neighbor. He has lived next to Henry and his family for over a year now and he has grown to like the boy quite a bit. Always dealing with the teens sarcastic attitude over the summer and sometimes inviting him over just so had someone to talk to had been quite fun, but he had to admit that he did miss the younger's company lately. "It's been a while."

    "I've been go for being in school and working and all." Henry answered as he went about doing his thing. "Passing classes, earning some money, trying to take dance classes... How have you and Donghae been? I seen you guys come scrambling in your front door last night...."

    "Ahhhh, we are fine thank you." Hyukjae replied as he felt his face heat up as Henry laughed. "We are engaged now and announced that last night so we were just- uhhh- celebrating?" 

    Henry nodded, "If that's what you older people are calling it." The younger smirked as he finished bagging Hyukjae's things and placed them in his cart. "Do you have a discount card?" Henry asked the other. "It's blue and silver, Donghae signed you both up for one so you can save money on the food and stuff." 

    "Oh that's what that thing is." Hyukjae said as he pulled his wallet out of his back pocket. "I wondered what the hell this thing was, here you go." Henry scanned the card and handed it back to Hyukjae who was amazed at how the price was dropping because of all the discounts the card was saving him. 

    "Okay, your total is $237.65," Henry said, "not that bad for shopping for two of you for the first time by yourself; good job!" 

    "We have been neglecting the shopping for a while." Hyukjae said as he paid the younger. "Hopefully I won't have to buy so much next week." They two said goodbye to each other as Hyukjae made his way out to the car to unload his things into the trunk of his car, and after he was finished he realized why Donghae had such great arms... Carrying groceries was a damned workout! About fifteen minuted later when he was finally home and managed to unload all of the groceries from the car and get them into the kitchen he slumped down in a chair and complained to the white fur ball who came to came to greet him. "I'm going to train you to help me carry all this stuff into the house." Hyukjae complained. "Now I have to put it all away; why the hell did I buy so much stuff!" 

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "I cannot believe this is coming together so well." Donghae said as he walked around the almost renovated store. "The new flooring and paint looks great and the shelving is nicely placed." 

    "Give us at least two more days and we'll have the back room done." Hangeng responded as he brushed dust off of his pants. "We are waiting for the furniture Heechul ordered to come in, which should be soon, and after get that into place we'll just need to set up and put a sign upfront." 

    Donghae quickly scribbled down on his clipboard, "I've got that taken care of everything; so that includes a name for the place and the clothing orders.... okay I lied about the name. I have nothing." Donghae sighed as he walked over to the counter and sat down. 

    "I'm sure Hyukjae will be able to name it perfectly." Hangeng said as he walked over and patted Donghae on the back. "Speaking of Hyukjae, how about you head on home. Hist first day as a house wife surely ended up with him trying to fix something at the last minute. You might want to go home and scared him while he's trying to hide something from you." Donghae nodded and stood up. "And don't worry about me; I'll bum a ride off of Heechul when he finally gets back here." Hangeng smiled to the younger and watched as he made his way out of the glass doors to head home for the evening. 

    Donghae quietly closed the door behind him as he hug up his coat and began to tiptoe through the house. Donghae had more confidence in Hyukjae 'house wife' abilities than Hangeng seemed to, but the idea of scaring Hyukjae did sound quite enjoyable. The kitchen light was turned off and Bada was curled up on the living room couch but Hyukjae was no where to be found. Donghae continued up the stairs, stopping quickly as a stair creaked, before continuing. He laughed to himself when he saw the bucket of cleaning supplies sitting outside of the bathroom door. Donghae smiled when he saw the light radiating from Hyukjae's office door before sneaking into the doorway. "Hyukkie, I'm home!" He shouted as he hopped in the doorway causing Hyukjae to quickly pull down the new outfit patterns he had hanging up and push over the dummy he had hanging in the back of the room.

    "Donghae!" Hyukjae shouted as he ran over to the doorway and quickly shoved the other out before closing the door behind him. "What are you doing home so soon?"

    "What were you making, Hyuk?" Donghae asked curiously as he tried to grab the door handle before it was taken in Hyukjae's own.

    "Something that you're just going to have to wait to see, okay?" Hyukjae said. "So no peeking or I'll be very upset with you." 

    Donghae pouted before trying to change the conversation; he was not worried, he would just sneak into the room later. "Did you clean the bathroom today?"

    "Clean the bathroom," Hyukjae responded with a light laugh, "I just shoved the dirt under the rug and threw the stuff that turns the toilet water blue on everything."

    "Please tell me that you didn't put that stuff in the shower!" Donghae shrieked as Hyukjae glanced around the hallway whistling to himself. "At least tell me you washed it out?" He asked and received a light nod from the other. "Just bring the cleaning supplies downstairs while I start dinner." 

    Donghae started to head downstairs and into the kitchen before Hyukjae realized the dire mistake he made and ran after him. "No, Donghae!" Hyukjae shouted as he wrapped his hand around the others waist and began to lead him to the living room. "You go and sit down while I make dinner for you; it's the least I can do for you after your long day from work." 

    Donghae quickly escaped Hyukjae hold and walked over to the cupboard and began to open it before it was slammed closed by Hyukjae. "Lee Hyukjae, let me make you dinner." Donghae said as Hyukjae shook his head. "Move your hand!" Donghae said through gritted teeth as he forced the cupboard open. All sorts of bags and boxes fell out of the cupboard in an avalanche of awful. "Hyukkie," Donghae said with his voice all sweet, "What the hell is this?"

    Hyukjae scratched his neck, "Me trying to put groceries away?" Donghae hummed in response as he turned around and motioned Hyukjae forward with his finger and Hyukjae gulped nervously as he stepped forward.