Part 33

I Lost the Bet


    "Hyukjae get out of the car." Donghae said as he stood outside the passengers seat with the car keys in his hand. "Not only is this embarrassing because you're acting like a five your old, but if you don't hurry up we will be late for the class." Hyukjae only shook his head and attempted to block out Donghae's voice. It was bad enough he allowed Donghae to convince him to get in the car and drive all the way to their local gym, but the fact that it happened to be the local gym he worked out at on a daily basis made it far worse for the man. "Lee Hyukjae you have until the count of ten to get out of the car before I call the cops on you." Donghae started. "One, two three, four..."

    Hyukjae rolled down the car window. "You didn't tell me that this was where the classes were! I go to the gym here, all of my friends go to the gym here!" Hyukjae exclaimed. "What if they see me going to childbirth classes?"

    "Are you really doing this right now?" Donghae asked sarcastically. "You have two options. You can either walk in there like a man or I'll drag you inside in the most unmanly way possible." Hyukjae shook his head and kept his seat. Donghae glared as he reached in the open window and unlocked the car door before opening it and pulling Hyukjae out by the hair. 

    "Ouch, Donghae let go!" Hyukjae shouted when Donghae slammed the car door shut and continued to drag Hyukjae towards the entrance. "I'll go in peace just please let go of my hair!" Hyukjae squealed as Donghae stopped and let go of Hyukjae's hair. 

    "It's bad enough I need to deal with the fact that my chest is starting to get slightly bigger... I don't need to deal with your whinny , too." Donghae said as he fixed the parts of Hyukjae's hair that were standing up. "Now are you going to behave like a good little boy or am I going to need to bring Hyunjae along next time?"

    "I'll act like a good boy." Hyukjae pouted as he opened up the door for Donghae. 

    Donghae walked through the door and up to the service desk before asking where their class was being held before making his way down the back hallway with Hyukjae in pursuit. Hyukjae hurried up enough to hold open the door to the aerobics room where the class was being held and glanced around to see all the other couples that were here as well. "You must be Donghae!" an older lady said as she walked up to Donghae and shook his hand. "I must say I was looking forward to having you in this class since the moment you called last week. It's not very often that this sort of thing happens... if at all for that matter." Donghae smiled and returned her greetings before she turned to Hyukjae and shook his hand, too. "And you are the father I presume?"

    "Ahh, yeah." Hyukjae said as he bowed. "Lee Hyukjae, husband and father to be I guess." The instructor showed them to an empty spot near another couple on the other side of the room before retuning to the front and waiting for the last minute stragglers to come walking in.

    Donghae quickly started to make conversation with the lady next to them leaving Hyukjae alone and standing awkwardly next to other abandoned husband who looked just as thrilled to be there as he was. "Your wife drag you here too?" He asked. "My wife gave me no choice and decided that crying would help her case, which it did I little bit. Last thing I need is a pregnant and crying wife."

    "I'll come over there and slap you till you shut up." a woman's voice resonated from a few feet way in Chinese. "Behave." Hyukjae peered around the man to see Donghae giggling as the lady he was talking to yelled at her husband. 

    "I see our wives met." the man said as he held out his hand. "The name is Zhou Mi; last name Zhou first name Mi but everyone just says Zhou Mi anyway so feel free to call me however."

    Hyukjae grabbed the mans hand and shook it. "Lee Hyukjae, last name Lee first name Hyukjae. I'm here with my husband actually, not wife, but we get that a lot in public so it's okay." Hyukjae motioned to a smiling Donghae who was chatting away with the wife of his new friend and talking partner for classes to come, at least he hoped that man would be. "I guess he kind of looks like a woman because his hair is down and his chest is starting to get a little out there. The doctors promised it would go back to normal and it better because, well never mind." Hyukjae stopped his blabbering and walked over to Donghae before grabbing a handful of his husbands hair carefully and pulling it back. "Hair tie please." Hyukjae said as the younger gave him the rubber band from around his wrist. 

    Donghae's hair had gotten longer recently and the last thing anyone cared about was getting it cut. Heechul offered to trim it himself but Hyukjae quickly stepped in saying that it was nice to see Donghae with a different hairstyle for once.  The two just dealt with the fact that Donghae looked slightly feminine; it's not like his pregnant stomach didn't already do the trick. Hyukjae had to admit that it was funny to see his reaction every time someone mistook him for a 'manlier' looking woman. "Thank you Hyuk," Donghae said before giving the other a quick kiss on the cheek and letting him walk back to his new friend. 

    "I mean no offense by this," Zhou Mi started, "but how on earth does a man get pregnant?"  

    "It's a really, really long story." Hyukjae replied. "I'm not sure if I can explain it the best anyway." 

    "Well," Zhou Mi said while looking around. "If things go as our partners, see what I did there, planned then we will be here an awful lot." Hyukjae nodded and Zhou Mi gave him an encouraging pat on the shoulder. "So spill it."

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Well it turns out that I was born with both reproductive systems, the male and female one." Donghae started to explain while the woman across from him nodded. "The doctor said that sometimes they can react with each other and that it has happened before but mostly in patients who are more physically female. I'm going to have the female parts removed after birth because I honestly prefer being a man... I am not a fan of these mood swings."

    "I hear you," the lady said. "I feel horrible sometimes when I snap at Zhou Mi for no reason at all, but most of the time he deserves it. Like the other day we went shopping and I could not pull him out of the baby section! I just wanted to go home~"

    "You only whine and complain don't you, Victoria?" Zhou Mi  answered from a distance. "I come along with you to this stupid place and you still find a way to about something."

    Victoria just shrugged and went back to her previous conversation. "Just ignore the sounds it makes and soon it will wonder off and leave you alone for a little while."

    Donghae laughed. "That's so mean! Do you two fight a lot or is it just an act?"

    "Most of the time we don't mean what we say." Victoria responded. "We have been best friends since I can remember and we just act like that more than we do husband and wife. Marrying each other was our parents ideas you know, we didn't even fully agree at first." Victoria shrugged, "But look at us now, baby soon. You want to meet him?"

    Donghae nodded and let himself be dragged over to the usual tall man, compared to himself, and stood beside Hyukjae. "We are going to do proper introductions now?" Zhou Mi said as he held out his hand and smiled. "If you haven't guessed I'm Zhou Mi."

    Donghae shook the others hand. "Victoria has talked a lot about you from the five minutes I've known her." Donghae said. "You defiantly got a winner of a wife right there."

    "You talked about me, huh?" Zhou Mi said as he turned to his wife. "I will keep that in mind... So, oh great wife of mine, this guy right here is Hyukjae and we just made plans to go over to their house next week! That's right I just made plans without you!"

    "I have this big feeling that you were going to forget to tell me that." Donghae said as he looked at Hyukjae. "You have had people coming over and the house would have looked like . Guess who is cleaning the house next week? You are..."

    Hyukjae put his arms up in defense. "I offer to clean the house all the time but you're the one who doesn't let me."  Donghae silently nods in agreement and grabs ahold of Hyukjae's hand before leaning against him. "Yeah, that's what I thought."

    "Love you Hyukkie." Donghae said cutely. 

    "God, man you were right. That cutesy look is killer." Zhou Mi said. "If he came up to me and asked for money with that look I'd throw my wallet at him."

    "Yeah, well the face is all mine." Hyukjae retorted. "And so is everything else that makes him up so don't get any funny idea."

    "Someones getting defensive..." Donghae hummed.

    "Can I have everyone's attention!" The instructors voice announced from the front of the room. "I want to ask if you could please take your seats around the four tables provided and we will being shortly; two couples per table please." Donghae and Hyukjae quickly took seats next to Zhou Mi and Victoria and waited from the instructor to continue. After she was done writing on the white board at the front of the room she turned around and introduced herself. "My name is Han Yewon and I will be your childbirth instructor for the next 12 weeks." She began walking around the room handing out a packet of papers to each couple. "Since we will be together for the next 12 weeks my contact information is located on the front page; feel free to use it anytime you have questions outside of class. Now then, time to get started!" 

    Yewon motioned to the words written on the board. "Since you will be meeting here once a week for the next twelve weeks it is only appropriate for me to discuss what we will be learning. Turn to the first page of your packet please." The sound of paper turning could be heard around the room as the couples flipped to the second page. "As you can see written on the board and in your packet the method that will be taught in this class is called the Bradley Method of Childbirth. This method embraces the idea that childbirth is a natural process and that, with the right preparation, most women can avoid pain medication and routine interventions during labor and birth. It's named after American obstetrician Robert Bradley, who developed the method in the late 1940s." The couples around the room nodded as they listened. "Now that the little history brief is out of the way... time for some knowledge about the course!"

    "The program given here lasts 12 weeks and is more intensive than other childbirth education classes." Some of the men could be heard sighing or in protest but were soon silenced as Mrs. Han continued talking. "The Bradley philosophy says that it takes months to prepare for childbirth and parenting — mentally, physically, and emotionally — and prides itself on addressing all aspects of natural childbirth, as well as many pregnancy and postpartum issues." The small mumbled and groans could be heard throughout the crowd again as Hyukjae looked up and made eye contact with Zhou Mi who was thinking the same thing. "I wouldn't have thoughts of complaining guys because this course emphasizes in educating partners to be effective coaches. This means the wives are not the only ones participating in the childbirth experience but the husbands are active participants as well." 

    The instructor continued to go over a brief description regarding the course until realizing that class was over and excused everyone for the day. "Hyuk you should really read over all the information in this packet with me." Donghae said as he handed the packet over to Hyukjae and took a bite of the sandwich he ordered for lunch. The two stopped to get something to eat on the way home and decided that next time they should invite their new friends along too. 

    Hyukjae opened the pamphlet Donghae handed him and began to read through it. "What will my partner and I learn in a Bradley course? Well I sure as hell hope you know something because if I am being dragged to weird hippie classes about meditation or something I'm out."

    "There are childbirth classes based off that you know." Donghae said as he nibbled on some chips. "Now give me that and I'll just read it since you seem unable to." Donghae snatched the paper out of Hyukjae's hands before reading. "The course will address: Nutrition and how it affects a growing fetus. The importance of exercise during pregnancy-"

    "Yah," Don't you dare skip across the rest of that bullet to prove your point." Hyukjae said as he read the paper over Donghae's shoulder. "Importance of exercise during pregnancy in controlled amounts. Walking and light jogging in recommend." Hyukjae looked at the other, "See? No more lifting heavy things, but feel free to go on nice long walks if you'd like."

    "Good, tomorrow morning we are going jogging." Donghae said as elbowed Hyukjae in the stomach. "Make sure you are up and ready to go at five in the morning, smart ." 

    "Being pregnant doesn't give you the right to be moody." Hyukjae muttered under his breath. "Okay, maybe a little.. Oh look at that next one! Common pregnancy symptoms and complains, and how to deal with them. Turn to page seven..." 

    Donghae took the pamphlet and whacked Hyukjae across the head, "Yeah, it's called stop being a little and let your husband get that seven layered cake for desert."

    "Will I actually be able to eat some of it this time?" Hyukjae said as Donghae nodded and flagged down the waitress.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Hyukjae what are you doing? Turn of the light and go to bed." Donghae mumbled as he shielded his eyes with his arm. "You have to go to work in the morning and you'll if you're tired, plus we are going jogging." Hyukjae continued to ignore his husbands mumbles and scribble in the back of the baby book. "Hyuk, what are you up to?"  Donghae asked as he sat up and leaned against Hyukjae. 

    "I couldn't sleep because I kept thinking about our conversation the other day with the baby names stuff." Hyukjae said as he showed Donghae the notes he scribbled down. "If we have a boy I really like the name Jae Chil. What do you think?"

    "I think it is nice," Donghae replied. "What about taking the Chil and making it Chul? That way it is named after Heechul too."

    "I refuse to have allow our child to be named after that man." Hyukjae interrupted. "It's bad enough he already has influence on Hyunjae, we don't need him parading around in glory because we named our kid after him."

    Donghae took the book from Hyukjae hands and placed it on the night stand. "Fine, if we have a boy we will name him Jae Chil. Happy?"Hyukjae smiled as Donghae reached across him to turn off the light. "Now go to sleep and cuddle with me before I kick you off the bed and use my pillows." Donghae murmured as he gave his husband one last goodnight kiss and went back to sleep. 

    Needless to say, even though Hyukjae did cuddle with Donghae during the night he was still forced off the bed and replaced with that special body pillow Heechul had bought him. Damn pregnancy and the desire to cling to pillows all night long. Damn Heechul for buying Donghae that pillow. Hyukjae just sighed, grabbed what little blanked Donghae had left for him to use and closed his eyes. After all, there were only five more months to go and it was all worth it.

 

I have some fantastic news! I just graduated!!! (Not only is this an amazing life accomplishment, but that also means I will be able to update more!!) 

Unfortunately it also means I have time to (WATCH ALL OF GODS QUIZ 4 WITH DONGHAE!) dedicate to  pregnancy  research... Did you know there are like five different types of childbirth classes? Holy , right? 

 

it's like 1:30 am.. I'm going to sleep now. Night, Morning, Afternoon... Peace out.