Part 15

I Lost the Bet

For Krystalis and blossomgalz for such lovely comments conversations and giving me brilliant ideas. This might possibly be part of a double update...

 

Donghae walked into work that day with papers in his hand and a list of things for Kyuhyun to get accomplished that day but the only thing that the younger seemed to notice was the unusual bright smile on Donghae's face and the ring on his finger. "Do you think no one ill notice?" Kyuhyun said to the other before he walked into his office. "Because I defiantly noticed." Donghae turned around, cocked his head to the side, and looked at his friend questioningly. ""Don't even think about giving me that stupid clueless look. The happy giddy smile, the radiating aura, the ring on your finger all indicate that Hyukjae proposed to you." 

    "Kyuhyun please don't say anything to Heechul or Kangin yet." Donghae quickly said in defense. "I don't want to make a big deal out of it until Kangin's wedding is over and done with. They deserve all of the attention right now not Hyukjae and I." Kyuhyun nodded silently in agreement before turning to glare at the pile of papers the other sat on his desk. "Do you have all your things done for the wedding, best man?" Donghae asked Kyuhyun who pulled out a notebook from his desk drawer before flipping through the pages.  

    "Sungmin and I already have the venue booked and the designs with the wedding planner and designer are already set up and paid for." Kyuhyun started to explain as he read through his notes. "We are going to go visiting several cake shops this afternoon which reminds me, Hae I'm leaving work early today." Donghae nodded and glanced at the book in Kyuhyun's hand from over his shoulder. "Flowers and stuff like that Sungmin took care of forever ago. Hyukjae called me last week and said he finished the outfits and adjusted them according to the sizes we gave him; Heechul will be delivering them sometimes this week." Kyuhyun hummed to himself as he flipped a few pages forward to see if there was anything else before closing the book and placing it back in his desk. "Besides from the bachelors party, which is kind of lame if you ask me, everything is finished."

    "What the party idea?" Donghae asked. "Are we all just going to get drunk at some bar or something along those lines?" 

    "Pretty much." Kyuhyun replied. "Kangin didn't want anything extremely fancy so I'm just sticking to the basic 'beers at a bar' theme. You will show up, get drunk, and ing like it." Donghae nodded and laughed before walking into his office and closing the door behind him before getting started on his work for the day. The current workload was becoming heavy lately but it was nothing that Donghae and Kyuhyun couldn't handle, but one thing that he didn't understand was why no one else in the company seemed to be getting as much work. Perhaps it was because they were the most successful? Yeah, Donghae was just going to go with that. 

    It had been a good five months since he met Hyukjae and with one of his best friends weddings right around the corner, and his own to soon follow suit, Donghae was extremely happy. If only he could say the same about his boyfriend, now fiancé,  Hyukjae. Donghae knew how much pressure the other had been under lately with his spring fashion show, which he considered to be a big hit for the other, and the possibility of turning his internship into a steady job. The phone on Donghae's desk rang causing him to lose his train of thought. "Hello, this is Lee Donghae speaking." he answered. 

    "Hello Mr. Lee," the voice on the other side of the phone answered. "This is the realtor speaking and we would like to inform you that your bid for the vacant building in town has won. We are calling to ask if you would like to proceed with buying the property." 

    Donghae thought quickly to himself before answering; at first he just wanted to buy the building and quit his job to open up his own advertising agency. He had enough money saved up, but now he has no idea what to do about it. "Can I call you back later today with a decision?" he asked and the lady replied with a yes and gave him a number to contact her at. "Kyuhyun," Donghae shouted after he hung up his phone, "Get in here!"

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "This is a gigantic misunderstanding!" Hyukjae shouted back at the man sitting behind the desk. "We never stole anything and those ideas were purely ours; I swear to god we did not take them!" Meeting with the interns were going on all day to determine who would get a  job based off their performances at last nights fashion show and their ideas. You could tell from the tears of people who were leaving the directors office that so far no one had been successful and when Jessica disagreed behind the office doors and never came back both men became worried. Now here they stood before the director of the company, with Jessica crying at his side, defending themselves against accusations accusing them of stealing her work. 

    "You can go and check our office camera since the time we started here and we'll prove to you that we drew and created all of those ideas." Hangeng said causing Hyukjae's eyes to go wide.

    "No," Hyukjae said as he shook his head. "I do not agree to a review of the cameras, but you can look through all of our things." Hangeng glanced at him before looking back at the director and Jessica who had a pleased smirk on her face. Hyukjae knew what would show up in they looked through all the footage of the camera and the last thing he wanted is for them to see what him and Donghae were up to that one night. "She's lying; have you even listened to her defense in all of this?"

    Jessica put back on her sad face as the director turned to her. "I-I told you that I was forced to create all new designs at the last minute because those ones went missing." Jessica said as Hangeng rolled his eyes.

    "Why couldn't you just redo them?" Hangeng replied. "If they were your ideas you would be able to recreate them no problem; oh wait they weren't yours!" 

    "Quiet all of you!" the director shouted quieting all of the interns that stood before him. "Jessica I'm sorry but you did not get the job and I cannot let someone who comes in here without enough proof to be hired at my company." Jessica's mouth gapped open as he stood in disbelief. "Hyukjae and Hangeng, unfortunately I cannot give you a proper answer without proving that you two in fact did not steal anyones designs or ideas. This is a serious accusation that we must take full protocol with and if you are not willing to agree to a camera review to prove this I must ask you to leave as well."

    Hyukjae grabbed Hangeng by the arm, "We are sorry that we have to decline any sort of offer that you might have made to us, goodbye and thank you." Hyukjae said as he bowed and with that he pulled Hangeng out of the directors office and to the elevator where as  soon as the doors closed an argument started.

    "Why the didn't you just agree to the search Hyukjae!" Hangeng shouted. "We could have had a damn good job here and you just ing ruined it for us!" 

    "Do you know what they would have saw if they reviewed those cameras?" Hyukjae shouted back as he hit the stop button on the elevator. "They would have had a lovely show of me ing the living daylights out of my boyfriend on top of my desk which is a big violation of every single code in the ing handbook!" Hangeng ran his hand through his hair frustratingly as he took a deep breath to calm down. "Donghae would have gotten a bad reputation, I would have gotten arrested, and you would be left without a job."

    Hyukjae leaned against the wall and Hangeng turned the elevator back on and waited for it to continue to descend back to the first floor. "I can't believe you had in our office. No wonder it smelled funky in there..." Hangeng mumbled as the doors finally opened and the two men walked out allowing others to walk in. "At least Jessica doesn't have a job either, but this still doesn't fix the fact that we are now unemployed. The checks we get from the company for our internship will end next week." 

    "Let's just... go home for now. I'll call you later to talk about this, okay?" Hyukjae said as he said goodbye to Hangeng and climbed in his car. "God, what am I going to do?" Hyukjae muttered to himself as he pulled out his phone and dialed Donghae's number; after a few rings the others voice could be heard through the phone. "Hello Hae, are you busy?"

    "Ehh, kind of," Donghae replied. "You don't sound good. Are you okay?" Donghae asked as the sound of someone typing on a keyboard could be heard through the line. "You're not injured or in the hospital are you?"

    Hyukjae took a deep breath, the sound of Donghae's voice calming him down a little. "Donghae, you now have an unemployed, but still amazingly y, fiancé." Hyukjae said. "Jessica accused Hangeng and I of stealing her work and claiming it as ours and unless we agreed to a video search there was no way to prove we didn't do it and I did not agree to the search."

    "Why not?" Donghae asked; you could hear the anger in his voice and it was no doubted caused by the mention of Jessica and what she did. 

    "Did you want them to see us ing on camera?" Hyukjae asked bluntly before hearing the shattering of a glass and slight cursing from the other side of the phone. "I'm taking that as a no." 

    "Hyukkie I am so sorry," Donghae's voice said. "That was completely my fault and if I didn't push you to do that then you could have gotten the camera search and- god I'm such an idiot." Hyukjae could hear the ringing of Donghae's work phone before the other voiced his goodbye. "I really need to take the call coming it; it's very important, and now I have special plans but I will be home as soon as I can be. Bye Hyukjae, I love you." Donghae said.

    "Love you." Hyukjae replied before the line went dead leaving him the the silence once again. Hyukjae was half way home before he took a quick left and made for the local university. It has been a while since he had a nice talk with his friend and now was as good of a time as any, at least that's what Hyukjae thought. After managing to find a parking spot and fight his way though the crowded hallways filled with students, and mentally cheering about how he no longer had to deal with school, he made his way to Leeteuk's classroom.

    Hyukjae knocked on the door before hearing the faint, "Come in," and opened the door to see Leeteuk sitting in the chair behind his desk while a student stood in front of him with his eyes on the ground. "Just don't do it again, alright?" Leeteuk said, "You can leave." Hyukjae snickered at the boy who ran out of the room before walking over and taking a chair from the first row and dragging it to the desk so he had a place to sit. "What's up Hyukjae?" Leeteuk asked. "Haven't seen you in a while, I thought all of you were avoiding me until the wedding." Leeteuk pouted slightly causing Hyukjae to laugh. 

    "No one is avoiding you, we are all just trying really hard to make your day special. Plus we can't bring you with us to do wedding things because it is supposed to be a secret; and you are older and wiser one? Leeteuk you have no common sense." Hyukjae replied. 

    "Well I have a half an hour for lunch so feel free to talk it up while I eat whatever it is that Kangin packet me." the other said as he pulled out something wrapped in tin foil. "I have no idea what it is that I am actually eating half of the time anymore, but I have learned to just accept it." He smiled, showing his dimples before unwrapping his sandwich. 

    "I should go home and prepare something for dinner so Donghae doesn't have to cook tonight." Hyukjae said. "I also should create a list of chores to do daily and begin planning out my days as a housewife." Leeteuk made a face indicating that he wanted Hyukjae to continue talking as he ate. "I didn't get that internship so I am currently jobless; I have decided on the way here that since Donghae will now be the one providing for the family that I must try my best to be a dedicated housewife/husband so he doesn't have to look after my lazy ."

    "You'll find a job soon," Leeteuk responded. "You have a lot of talent so don't get discouraged. Ive seen a picture of the outfits for the wedding and they are amazing; you could always start a business or something from your house. Tailor things here and there to make some money." Leeteuk finished his sandwich and threw the wrapper in the trashcan before leaning back in his chair and stretching. "You look like you have something else on your mind, want to talk about it?"

    Hyukjae motioned for Leeteuk to come forward while he leaning into the desk, "You can't tell anyone about this but... I proposed to Donghae." Hyukjae sat back and smiled widely while Leeteuk reached across the desk and patted his friend on the shoulder. "Don't let Sungmin know yet because we aren't ready to tell people."

    "I won't man," Leeteuk replied. "It's about time we started getting our lives settled down and figured out. First me, then you, and now we need to get Sungmin someone..."

    "I'm pretty sure he has a thing for that Kyuhyun guy." Hyukjae said before he stood up to leave. "I'm gonna get going before the flood of students comes and tramples me in the hallway." Leeteuk waved goodbye as Hyukjae walked out of the classroom and started his way home to begin his journey as a housewife.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "You think this is big enough?" Donghae asked Hangeng as he walked around the empty building with the new Sold Sign hanging in the front window. "I don't think it will be big enough..."

    "Trust me it is the perfect size. You have the two display windows in the front to show off new designs and displays." Hangeng started to explain. "We can have shelves built into the sides to fold and put clothes and shoes on while we fill the rest with racks and displays of clothes. That wall over there," Hangeng said as he pointed to the useless wall in the middle of the store, "We can have that torn down and relocate it to divide the sections into mens and women's while still having room for a dressing room and fitting area in the back with seating. We can have a jewelry display at the front desk."

    Donghae nodded in amazement as Heechul wrote down all the notes and drew a sketch before handing it to Hangeng for approval. "Hae baby this is a wonderful idea and Hyukjae is going to love it!" Heechul walked around and started to inspect the windows. "The scenery is lovely and this little suburb of yours doesn't have a clothing store so this is the perfect thing to add to it. As a matter of fact I have a few people that owe me some favors..."

    "Hyung, everyone owes you favors." Donghae said as he walked up next to him to help Hangeng hang up sheets in front of the windows so no one could see inside. 

    "Oh shut it," Heechul replied. "The point is I can get you some people who can get this finished in less than two weeks, so after the wedding this place can be up and running provided that you can get all the financial affairs dealt with." 

    Donghae walked over to Heechul who was holding the clipboard and looked at all the notes the elder was taking. "I bought off the building, already have accounts set up to take care of all the separate accounts we will be needed. All that is left is to find employees, besides Hangeng who will be working with Hyukjae." The three men made all final calls and arrangements before closing up and heading their separate ways for the night. Even though he didn't show it Donghae was elated and couldn't wait for the store to be finished; it was the perfect thing for Hyukjae. "I'm home," Donghae shouted as he walked through the front door. "Do I smell dinner?"

    "You might." Hyukjae's voice answered from the kitchen. "I used one of your cookbooks and tried to make homemade pizza because we have nothing else to cook with." Donghae walked into the kitchen, gave Bada a pat on the head, before walking over and wrapping his hands around Hyukjae's waist. "Have a nice day?" Hyukjae asked as he threw his arms lazily over Donghae's shoulders.

    "It was productive and boring." Donghae replied before giving Hyukjae a quick kiss on the lips. "I'm tired, hungry, and so ready for Kangin and Leeteuk's wedding next week. The sooner they have theirs is the sooner we can have ours." Donghae smiled happily as he let go of Hyukjae and walked over the cupboard to get some plates. "We could have a double wedding; why didn't I think of it before! Isn't that a great idea?"

    "No," Hyukjae responded. "I don't want to have a double wedding because the only special guy that will be at our wedding is you." 

    Donghae's face turned light pink as he giggled, "That's so lame, Hyukkie." Donghae continued to try and hide his flushed face from the other as he cut the pizza Hyukjae took out of the oven. "But thank you."