Part 24

I Lost the Bet

    *Three Weeks Later*

    Three weeks had passed and all was going relatively well for the Lee household and what all three of them considered to be their new family life. All the arguing from the beginning weeks have dwindled down to almost nonexistent as Donghae and Hyukjae learned how to handle Hyunjae's needs better while Hyunjae learned that the two needed time to themselves during the evening. Donghae, being the proud brother that he was, was happy that his sister was getting along fine in school even though he was not so thrilled about her current science project that consisted of finding a way to drop and egg from 50 feet without having it break. Hyukjae on the other hand was more than happy to help the girl throw breakable objects off of their roof; he refused to admit that he was still a little kid at heart. The day was nice, and being a Saturday, Hyukjae and Donghae were more than happy to have off and be spending the time outside in their garden while Hyunjae was entertaining her guest (the two were also happy that Hyunjae managed to make a friend). "Are we ready from he to drop the egg?" Hyukjae asked from the roof as he held the container the two girls had spent the day building. 

    "Oppa!" Hyunjae shouted, "Just drop the container already!" 

    "Okay, if you say so." Hyukjae said before letting the container fall to the ground landing with a thud before climbing down to watch the girls fuss over the tiny box and trying to open it. "Once you two get it open you need to tell me if it worked, okay?" Hyukjae said before receiving a thumbs up from the two girls and walking over to Donghae who just got finished planting a new flower in their garden that Hyunjae picked out last time they went shopping. "Is lunch finished?" Hyukjae asked before opening up the grill that they had burgers on for lunch; Donghae really didn't feel like doing anything fancy today. 

    "Yeah, it's pretty much just a take it as you want type of thing so whenever they are hungry." Donghae answered as he sat down at the picnic table that they had sitting in the back yard as Hyukjae joined him. "I haven't heard Hyunjae talk about anyone else at school besides Hana, and she seems nice so I really don't mind." Donghae said as Hyukjae sat down next to him. "Jae asked me earlier if she could spend the night at Hana's house but I told her I would talk it over with you before giving an answer." 

    "I don't see why not." Hyukjae replied. "As long as we can meet her parents I don't see anything wrong with it; she is the age where she can go out and spend the night at her friends house." Donghae nodded before following Hyukjae to help him serve the picnic like lunch knowing very well that if they didn't the two girls would forget about eating and whine about being hungry later. "And if Hyunjae's gone that means we can have the night to ourselves to do something nice like go on a date."

    "Are you asking me out on a date Lee Hyukjae?" Donghae asked before placing the food on the table and calling the girls over to eat. "Because if you are I don't think I would be persuaded to unless you ask me in a more caring manner."

    "Hae, sweetheart," Hyukjae said as he wrapped his arms around Donghae's waist and pulled him close. "Would you like to spend a lovely romantic evening with me? I would honored if you said yes."

    "Just say yes already and stop being all lovely in front of my friend." Hyunjae whined as she sat down at the table to eat with Hana and covered her friends eyes with her hand. "It's embarrassing; oppa's please." Hana just giggled while peaking out from behind the younger's hand.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "I can't believe that they really said I can spend the night at your house!" Hyunjae cheered as she bounded up to her room with Hana following in suit. "This is going to be so much fun; I never had or went to a sleepover before! What stuff should I bring?" 

    Hana walked around Hyunjae's room before flopping down on her bed. "I have tons of things to do at my house so you don't need to bring much. We can both sleep in my bed and I have tons of pillows and blankets- oh my god we can build a pillow fort! How cool would that be?" Hana squealed before calming down as Hyunjae grabbed a bag and began to put some clothes inside. "Bring a change of clothes for tomorrow, some pajamas, and bring a swimsuit! There is a pool at my house so we can go swimming; I know how much you love swimming even though you act like you hate it."

    "I don't act like I hate swimming," Hyunjae replied, "I do hate swimming. I don't see why we need to have a month's worth of wadding in a big pool of water." Despite badmouthing it she grabbed her swimsuit and placed it in her bag to take to Hana's house anyway. 

    "But JaeJae, you are so good at it; I never seen anyone swim laps as fast and accurately as you do during class except for those who have been on the swim team for years. Oh my god you could join the swim team; you would be so popular and then when we walk by people will be like 'It's that girl who is on the swim team and her friend.' I'll be the friend of a popular person!" Hana continued to talk, just like she does when she is bored but Hyunjae has gotten used it it. In fact, Hyunjae often finds the rambling of the other girl to be quite interesting and useful at times. The older girl pouted a bit and whined when the younger made it plain that she would NOT be joining any sport that would ruin her possibility of getting her books wet while she practiced. 

    Ten minutes later, and a lot of arguing on Donghae and Hyukjae's part as they fought over the directions Hana was giving them from the back seat as they drove her home; since Hyunjae was going to be spending the night they wanted to take them there to see where she lives in case on an emergency, plus they also wanted to meet the other girls parents (look at EunHae trying to be all parent like). "I'm telling you that you are on the right street." Hana said as Donghae asked for the tenth time that if the street they were on was in fact the correct one. The street wasn't in the city nor was it in the suburbs where their house was located. Outside the little town they lived in on the outskirts of the city there was a road that lead up to the more sophisticated part of town where they families that were better off than everyone else in the community lived. "It's the one at the end of the corner right before the big fancy house that's all on it's own up there." 

    "All these houses are fancy!" Hyunjae said as she continued to look out the window at all the buildings. "Why didn't you tell me that your family had money?" Hyunjae asked as she hit Hana on the shoulder lightly. 

    Hana shrugged as Donghae and Hyukjae pulled into the driveway hesitantly before stopping the car. "My parents told me that I should go around telling everyone that we have a lot of money because then people would only want to be my friends for my money, but as you seen from school I don't have many friends anyway so it's not like it matters much. Do you want to go inside?" Hana asked as she unbuckled her seatbelt and hurried her way to the front door. "My parents would love to meet you all; I don't get to have guests over very often and did I tell you that I have a dog too? Wait until you meet him JaeJae!" Hyunjae who was already halfway to the front door that Hana had open beckoning the rest to follow waved to Donghae and Hyukjae to hurry up and get out of the car which they did; the time the took staring at the house before mentally having a conversation about the house only made them walk a bit slower than usual. "Mother! Father!" Hana yelled throughout the house as she bowed to the staff that were busy doing their jobs of cleaning as she lead the guests to a sitting area. "I've brought guests that want to meet you!"

    Hyunjae and Hana were sitting on the couch talking while the two men continued to stand as they waited for someone, that they assumed would be Hana's parents, to enter the room. "I'm coming honey!" a woman's voice came from the outside stairway before a lady came walking into the room. "Oh, hello." She said as she walked over to the two men and held out her hand to greet them. "I'm guessing that you are Hyunjae's parents? Hana has talked so much about your daughter the past few days; she really is excited that she made a friend. My name is Elva Haiso, not a normal name I know but my parents had this thing for unique names." 

    "I'm Lee Donghae," Donghae introduced himself before motioning to Hyukjae, "and this is my fiancé Lee Hyukjae; we are not Hyunjae's parents she is my sister and we are just her guardians." The nervousness in Donghae's voice showed as he continued to talk. "We thought that it would be a good idea to meet before letting Hyunjae spend the night." 

    "Let's sit down and talk then by all means," Elva said as she motioned to the other set of chairs surrounding a coffee table. "Hana dear, how about you and Hyunjae go and find us something to drink?" Hana's mother asked before she replied happily and the two girls ran off to go find drinks for the others. "My daughter has talked about nothing but you guys for weeks; it is very nice to finally meet you instead of just hearing my daughters stories." 

    "It is nice to meet you, too." Hyukjae replied. "What is it that you and your husband do for a living since you clearly have a lot of-" Hyukjae started off before he was elbowed in the side by Donghae. "I mean what a lovely house you have... very spacious." Hyukjae glared at Donghae who in return sent a glare and mumbled something about manners. "Sorry, it's just that I didn't think Hyunjae's friend would be this... wealthily. We were sure that it would have been mentioned at some point but it wasn't." Hyukjae apologized and the lady just laughed. 

    "You are not offending anyone, trust me dear." she replied causing Donghae to let out a breath of relief. "My husband and I tell our children not to go around boasting about our family status because it attracts unwanted attention; not for us but for them. I don't want my children having friends just because others know that we have money, they don't need company like that." Hana and Hyunjae came back into the room carrying a tray of drinks and cookies before running off to go explore the house together. "Your sister," Elva commented once the girls left, "seems very sweet and mature for her age. I understand that she is only twelve?"

    Donghae nodded before taking a sip of tea that the girl had brought while Hyukjae munched away on the sweets. "My parents found themselves incapable of being able to care for her so she came into my possession. She reads all the time and is ungodly talented given her circumstances; we placed her in a higher grade at her own will, which is why she is in your daughters grade." 

    "Hyunjae told us your daughter is number one in the class." Hyukjae chimed in having been proud of making some contribution. 

    "Yes," she answered happily. "I'm glad our daughter found something productive to put her extra energy into, like her school work, instead of something else. If you haven't noticed, Hana has mild symptoms of ADHD and can be very hyper at times. We try our hardest to channel her energy into worthwhile things and activities."

    "Hyunjae acts more mentally mature than here peers," Donghae commented. "We were surprised to see that she was able to find someone to have an intelligent conversation with that is close to her own age." They kept on talking, like adults do in these situations, and continued to trade information about each others lives. Mrs. Haiso found nothing odd about the Lee's; in fact she thought that their ambitions to create a successful clothing store with Hyukjae's own designs was rather interesting. Donghae had also learned that he was responsible for many of the advertisements her husbands company projects, hence all the money the family managed to obtain, and ended the conversation with a time to pick up Hyunjae the following morning and the possibility of getting together for diner sometime in the near future. "Hyunjae, we will be back tomorrow around noon to pick you up okay?" Donghae said as he gave his sister a hug. "Behave and don't do anything stupid."

    "I won't if you won't." She answered before giving Hyukjae a thumbs up and running off with Hana to do whatever it is they were doing. (Seriously, I have no idea what it is that young girls do in their free time; i just sat on the computer....) 

 

First of all... Does anyone know who I named Hana's mother after? Second: Eun and Hae date time! 

 

What should happen on their date? What should they do? Where should thery go? Comment and give me some ideas.... Please(?)