Part 32

I Lost the Bet


    The bulge on Donghae's stomach was becoming rather noticeable, he was hitting eighteen weeks after all and was now confined to elastic pants and maternity shirts created by Hyukjae, the older also took this time as an opportunity to add a small maternity section to his clothing store. Donghae began to arch his back slightly as he walked like all, or most, pregnant women do; the stares and weird looks he started to receive as his stomach began to show quickly turned into looks of amazement even though there were still a few who protested. "Hyukjae, the top shelf I can't quite reach the cereal." Donghae said as he finally gave up and went back to standing next to the cart. 

    "I don't see why we need to buy the most expensive brand of Fruit Loops you can find," Hyukjae said as he grabbed the box and placed it in the cart. "Hyunjae is fine with the generic stuff and it's cheaper."

    "But I want the kind with the toucan on the box!" Donghae whined as he began to push the cart down the isle before stopping at the array or granola bars. "They taste so much better than the generic brand."

    Going grocery shopping has become a weekly, if not a biweekly, chore for Donghae and Hyukjae. Being pregnant Donghae eats everything in sight most of the time and for the past two weeks has gotten particular about what he puts in his system. Wanting only the best name brand foods inside his system for the baby and cravings for the weirdest foods, both men realized how hard it was to make it out of the grocery store alive. "We still need to go buy fresh fruit then," Hyukjae said as he looked through the list he created at home. "Since the weather has been nice they have strawberries!" A big smile appeared across his face at the mention of his favorite food and Donghae laughed a little. "I called earlier and do you know what they told me? A new shipment of watermelon has arrived..."

    "Watermelon!" Donghae cheered. "Why are we still standing in the cereal isle? Let's go, I've been dying for good watermelon for weeks now! Let's go baby, watermelon is only a few isles away!" Donghae said as he patted his tummy and took off with the cart leaving Hyukjae behind. 

    "Donghae you should really wait for me to help you carry that." Hyukjae said when he saw Donghae lifting a watermelon from the produce stand and placing it in the cart. "What if you hurt yourself?"

    "If I can lift Hyunjae and carry her up stairs then I can lift a watermelon." Donghae said before browsing the other fruit. "You know what, I think I want another watermelon."

    "When did you carry Hyunjae up the stairs?" Hyukjae panicked slightly. "No more doing that from now on because I swear if you hurt yourself I'm never going to let you leave the bedroom." 

    "Well, if you wanted to that all you had to do is ask." Donghae snickered. 

    "You know what I meant!" Hyukjae complained as he took the cart from Donghae. "Stop avoid the point."

    "I know you are worried, but the doctor said I am fine and exercise is good for me. She also said hat my body will know when to quit and so far it's telling me that I am fine." Donghae walked over and placed another watermelon in the cart while Hyukjae glared at him. "You are my husband, not my mother." The older of the two didn't like to admit that Donghae was perfectly fine doing things by himself and he understand that excise for his husband during the pregnancy was great, but he just didn't want Donghae to get hurt. He swore to himself that sometimes he acted like more of a mother than Donghae did. "Hyukjae are you coming? I we are ready to leave now, and can you push the cart? My back is starting to hurt," Donghae said snapping Hyukjae out of his daze as he lead the other towards the checkout. "I wonder if Henry is working..." Donghae wondered as they walked past the front of the store. "Oh he is! Hyukjae let's go in his line!"

    "Hi Hyukjae, hello Donghae!" Henry greeted the two as Hyukjae pushed the cart into his lane and began unloading their groceries. "No Hyunjae today?" 

    "No," Hyukjae answered. "We managed to pawn her off onto the swim team, well Donghae managed to pawn her off onto the swim team."

    "I used to swim in high school and I thought it would be good to force Hyunjae to go out there and join something besides the book club." Donghae replied as he helped hand stuff to Hyukjae. "Coming here is going to kill me, I just want to eat everything I see."

    Henry nodded and continued to scan their groceries. "My mom often likes to remind me of the hell I put her through when she was pregnant with me. Apparently she used to get the weirdest cravings." 

    Hyukjae nodded, "He does already. Yesterday for dinner he insisted on having a pickle and peanut butter sandwich."

    "Guilty." Donghae giggled as he patted his tummy. "And the little one thought it was delicious." 

    "Did you two find out if it is a boy or girl yet?" Henry asked. 

    "No," Donghae replied. "We could have two weeks ago but I want it to be a surprise whether Hyukjae likes it or not."

    "I just want to know so we can figure out names and pick a color to decorate the nursery! I don't want to paint the room pink if it's a boy." Hyukjae complained. "It's also hard to figure out what type of clothes to buy for the baby, too."

    Donghae rolled his eyes as he paid for the groceries. "He forgets that you can make gender neutral clothes and use greens and yellows." Henry laughs at the others comment and hands Donghae a receipt. "Have a nice afternoon Henry." He said before following a grumbling Hyukjae to the car.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "You didn't need to help me put the groceries away, I could have done it." Hyukjae said as the two finally sat down on the couch. "Especially if your back was starting to bother you." Hyukjae wrapped his arm around Donghae shoulders and pulled the other closer as he the tv. 

    "For the last time I am fine. Now, can we please stop arguing? Dr. Shin said that around the seventeenth week the baby will being to develop it's hearing and I don't want it to hear us arguing all the time." Donghae pouted as he looked up at Hyukjae. 

    "I don't mean it as arguing, I'm sorry Hae." Hyukjae said as he let out a sigh. "This is a lot harder than I thought it would be and it's stressing me out."

    "You say that and you're not even the one carrying the baby." Donghae laughed as he sat up and slapped Hyukjae playfully on the shoulder. "It's harder on me than it is you! Do you know how hard it is to go from grumpy to cheery as ? Do you know how annoying it is not to have any of your old clothes fit and having to lay on your back while you sleep? Do you know what is the worst?" Donghae asked as he raised his eyebrow.

    Hyukjae raised his eyebrow back, "What?" he asked. 

    "Being really because that happens a lot more than you realize." Donghae crossed his arms and leaned against Hyukjae. "Not all the time but sometimes and every time I try to get somewhere you just go all cuddly and cling to me." 

    Hyukjae burst out laughing. "If you ever want to have some y time with your hubby just ask." Hyukjae said plainly, "I at picking up hints so just come up to me and be like 'Yo babe I wanna ' or something and nine out of ten times the answer will be yes."

    "What about the other one chance?" Donghae asked. 

    "The other one chance will be a 'Donghae you need to wait until we get home,' type of reply but that is still technically a yes." 

    "You are a ert." Donghae declared as he reached for a book on the stand behind the couch. "Now let's look at some baby names!" Donghae opened the book and began to flip through the pages. "I want something that begins with a J or an L... or maybe an I. If it is a girl I want the name to be pretty in both sound and meaning and if it's a boy I want the name to be more than just generic."

    "Sweetheart, we go through this every time you open that book." Hyukjae said as he pointed out a name. "I really like Junghwa or something with Kang in it for a boys name." 

    The two continued to go through the book and highlight the names they liked before the door opened and the sound of Hyunjae's angered stomps echoed throughout the house. "I am never going back to that class again you two hear me!" Hyunjae shouted as she walked into the living room. "I hated it and everyone there and people just kept making fun of me."

    "Lee Hyunjae tone down that voice and come here right now." Hyukjae said as he let go of Donghae and sat up. Hyunjae huffed as she walked over to him and Hyukjae took ahold of the towel she had around her shoulders and pulled her so she was standing in between his legs. "Stop shouting and tell me what the real problem is?" 

    Hyunjae grumbled as Hyukjae took the towel and began drying her hair. She looked to Donghae who just put his hands up in the air and got off the couch before walking out of the living room. "Most of them thought I was fine it was just this one girl that I kept beating in the time trails they made me compete in. I didn't even want to do the time trials."

    "Well next time you go to these swimming lessons make sure to tell that girl where to stick it because letting something this stupid affect you is ... lame. So what if you swim faster than her? It should be good that she finally has some competition." Hyukjae said as he finished drying the girls hair. "Now go get a shower you smell like chlorine." 

    "You at giving inspirational speeches," Hyunjae said as she walked away. "But thank you anyway.. Just make sure to get better before you start giving the baby advice when it comes." 

    Donghae walked back into the living room with the laptop in hand, "Hyukkie, what are Kegles? It says here that I should work on strengthening them." Donghae sat on the couch and continued to read over the page he was on. 

    "Isn't that some muscle in a woman's lower region or something? I think I remember hearing Dr. Shin mention it but I'm not sure; why don't you google it or something?" Hyukjae said as he propped his feet up on the coffee table and turned the channel to the news. 

    "It says that it is some sort of exercise used to strengthen your bladder muscles. It says that it helps for giving birth- If i am getting a c-section do you think that I need to do these?" Donghae asked. "Wait.. it says it would be helpful in order to support your ... Since I don't have one of those I'm just going to say no." 

    Hyukjae snorted in amusement, "Why the sudden interest in googling pregnancy things?" 

    "You do it all the time so hush," Donghae defended. "I just wanted to see some stuff about week eighteen since we won't have an appointment until next week." Donghae explained as he kept on reading. "Oh look Hyuk, three things you should know about exercise! Exercise is not only good for you but good for your baby," Donghae began to read from the article. "If you're healthy and your pregnancy is proceeding normally, you can continue working out as you did in your first trimester, with some sensible modifications to accommodate your growing belly." Donghae looked up from the computer screen, "You see? I am perfectly fine. This article even says that it is normal to continue on with my activities as normal and walking or light jogging is great."

    "What does it say on there about the baby itself?" Hyukjae asked as he turned his attention from the news to Donghae. "Anything interesting?" 

    "Let me see what it has to say," Donghae said as he shifted his seat on the couch so he could show the screen to Hyukjae. "Here let me sit in between your legs, lay down on the couch." Donghae said as he got up and changed to the more comfortable position. Who was he kidding? Being in Hyukjae's arms was always comfortable. "It says that the baby's bones are starting to develop but as still fragile and it will now has the ability to hear. Here I'll read it to you," Donghae said. 

    "Head to rump, your baby is about 5 1/2 inches long, and he weighs almost 7 ounces (about the size of a bell pepper). He's busy flexing his arms and legs — movements that you'll start noticing more and more in the weeks ahead. His blood vessels are visible through his thin skin, and his ears are now in their final position, although they're still standing out from his head a bit." Donghae stopped reading for a second, "Hyuk, this is so cool!" He turned back to his computer, "Okay, a protective covering of myelin is beginning to form around his nerves, a process that will continue for a year after he's born. If you're having a girl, her uterus and fallopian tubes are formed and in place. If you're having a boy, his s are noticeable now, but he may hide them from you during an ultrasound. So the baby is starting to figure out what gender it is!" 

    Donghae shut the computer when he heard Hyunjae start coming down the stairs. "I guess I should go make something to eat." He said as he got up from the couch. "Oh, and make sure you are free every other say at five o'clock starting tomorrow."

    "Why?" Hyukjae asked as Donghae ran off into the kitchen. "Donghae, why do I have to make sure I am free?"

    "I sighed us up for childbirth classes!" 

 

     Sometime I ask myself why I am having all these short chapters then I realize that it's because I am lazy. I promise the next chapter will be long and interesting. Anyone have some ideas for the baby names? I'm keeping the gender a scret for now...