Chapter 37

I Lost the Bet
 
    The beep of the microwave signaled Hyukjae to walk across the kitchen as fast as he could with a cranky and crying baby in his arms. It has only been two weeks and their new son was showing no signs of calming down during the night time; having woken up Donghae for the past few nights and deprived the man of sleep Hyukjae happily volunteered to take this night shift even if it meant being tired in the morning. "It will be okay in a minute Tae Hyun, you need to wait until the bottle cools." Hyukjae said to the child as he tested the milk on his hand. Deeming it  good enough he quickly ushered the child to open wide and take the bottle. "Good job Tae Hyun." Hyukjae encouraged as the baby away at the bottle. 
 
    The light in the kitchen flicked on and Hyukjae ignored it and continued to feed the baby quietly. Donghae's feet shuffled across the floor and rubbed his eyes as he tried to get used to the light. "Why didn't you tell me the baby woke up?" Donghae asked sleepily as he walked over to the two. " I would have got up and taken care of it; you should have stayed in bed so you aren't tired for work tomorrow." 
 
    "And make you get out of bed again?" Hyukjae countered. "No way, plus I like feeding the baby; it makes me feel important and like I'm actually doing my job as a father." Hyukjae placed the bottle in the babies mouth and watched as the hungry child brought his hands up to the bottle and away. "Go back to sleep I can handle this. You haven't been getting much rest lately and it's starting to wear on you."
 
    "It's not wearing on me." Donghae replied as he yawned and walked over to Hyukjae's side and placed his head on the others shoulder. "Isn't he just the cutest thing? He really does have your eyes; I'm so glad because compared to mine they are so full of life."  Donghae watched as Tae Hyun smiled before managing to steal the baby from his husbands arms. "I'm going to go put him back to bed, goodnight Hyukjae." 
 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
    "Come to Granny Heenim little baby, I know you can do it!" Heechul said as he sat on the floor and watched as Tae Hyun continued to lie on the ground and stare at him. 
 
    "Heenim," Hyunjae started, "You know that he is only two weeks old and most babies don't begin to walk at two weeks old." She picked up one of the teething rings sprawled out on the ground and held it out in front of her brother hoping that he would attempt to reach for it. 
 
    "I know that you brat, but the baby can still crawl can't he?" Heechul replied with a happy smirk on his face. 
 
    Hyunjae just continued to smile and play with the baby. "A infants mind is preoccupied with what entertains it the most, or what it finds to more interesting at the current moment. A child this young also only processes what it can see and the moment it disappears it no longer exists." Hyunjae moved the toy away from Tae Hyun's view and watched as he continued onward and found something else to  play with instead. "Since you are sitting out of his range of view he can not see you and therefore you cannot exist." She returned the teething ring to her brothers view and watched as he continued to play with the toy once again. 
 
    Heechul smiled and watched as the girl continued to play with her brother. "You really are too smart for your own good."
 
    "Can you two please stop arguing in front of Tae Hyun?" Donghae said as he walked into the living room with a plate full of freshly baked cookies. "Heechul I do not allow you to come over to spend time with the kids just so you can teach Hyunjae how to-"
 
    "Oh don't try and tell me that you allow me to come over here." Heechul started. "I raised you and I am allowed to come over to this house anytime I feel like it, and that girl doesn't need to learn from me she is cheeky enough on her own. The only reason I debate with her is to get a good conversation because god knows how hard that is to come by with you." 
 
    "You son of-" Donghae started out before he bit his tongue in silent protest. "Just watch it around the baby, okay? My sister might be tainted by your wrongdoings but that doesn't mean the innocent need to be!" 
 
    "Now that's the mother I knew I raised." Heechul said proudly. "If I couldn't raise a child who wasn't afraid to tell me off then I didn't do a good job."
 
    Hyunjae interrupted the heartfelt conversation going on between the two in an attempt to show them the new skill Tae Hyun has managed to learn. "He just rolled over!" She shouted in excitement as she clapped. "It was so adorable and I can't believe that you two missed it!" 
 
    "That is the second time I missed my son doing something amazing!" Donghae cried out. "I really need to get a camera and record all of this stuff so I wont miss a second of it."
 
    "What was the first thing he did that was so amazing?" Heechul asked as he picked up the baby and started to rock him in his arms. 
 
    Donghae took out his phone and started to scroll through his pictures until he found the right one. "It's quite hilarious actually and I got a picture," he said as he turned his phone around to show Heechul. "He threw up on Hyukjae."