Chapter 29

Holding onto her

I'm in the church, standing at the front row. Today is Seunghyun's wedding day. He's married with Tiffany. I shot smile from where i am standing towards that good friend of mine that happens to be seen nervously standing at the altar waiting for his bride. It's weird to see him this way. He was never a person who can be read. He never shows what is playing in his head or what he was feeling ever since we were kids. This is the first time ever,. that i seen him this way. The music started and the large wooden door opened. Everyone in the hall stood up to welcome the bride in. 

Tiffany walked in along side with her dad, wearing a beautiful white gown with a long veil. She looked stunning in the dress. I turned my attention from the door to the altar and i caught a glimpse of his reaction. To be honest, maybe he was in a deep awe that he forgot to clench his jaw back together. When Tiffany reached the altar and her dad gave her hand to Seunghyun, you can't deny the fact that they love each other. The way Seunghyun look into her eyes and the way she smiled when he whispered something before the ceremony began. 

They said their vows and everyone started to put their hands together once the priest said, "You may kissed the bride." I smiled ever so widely as i know that now, my best friend had found the one. 

At the reception by the lake, both of the bride and groom came to the area riding a horse each. The crowd began to cheer at the arrival of the newly weds and the kids were astonished at the comings of the horses to the party itself. Seunghyungot of the horse and being a new husband, he tried to help Tiffany off the horse as well. However, her evening gown was stucked to the horse saddle seat. She lost her balanced of her upper torso and as an instinct being around them, I put my right hand out and onto her back; so that she wouldn't fall off backwards while getting herself into his embrace. At the same moment while i was doing that, a hand landed on my right hand as well that was on Tiffany's back. I was startled and i looked towards the owner. My heart skipped a beat knowing who it was. 

It was Sooyoung. She was invited by Seunghyun and Tiffany as well. My gaze collided with hers and the situation or scenes that happened a few months ago at the Lee's household played through before my very eyes. My heart crushed even more when i saw a person next to her whose smile begin to fade when he saw our hands on Tiffany back. At that brief moment, I moved my hand a way and left her hand on Tiffany's back instead. I made my way from the crowd and settled myself at the table with the guys. 

When the newly weds started their first dance, Yungeon came over me and hugged the side of my torso. I halted the conversation that i was having with the guys and turned to him. 

"Yungeon-ah! I missed you. Do you miss me?"

He nodded his head ferociously and I carressed his hair before picking him up to sit on my lap. 

"How was school, Yungeon-ah?"

Yungeon was about to open up his mouth when a sound of someone clearing out his thoat began to surround the air. I diverted my attention that was previously at Yungeon to the person at the side of me. It was non-other than Daniel. 

"Oh, Daniel shi..."

"Siwon shi... i think we need to talk." he said.

We walked away from the party with some drinks in our hand. We sat at the bench by the lake. The sound of music from the party began to fade as we sat. The tension arise and Yungeon who was previously on my lap was being asked to play with the rest of the children. Both of us weren't speaking. Suddenly, his voice started to open up a conversation after a long numbbing silence. 

"Siwon shi, do you by any chance still in love with my wife?"

My eyes stared at his blankly. I was expecting us to talk about it but not as straight to the point like this at all. 

"Siwon shi... Are you okay?" He asked me while waving his hands to my face. I got back to my senses and i opened my mouth to say, "Why are you asking this?"

"I am asking this because i need to know..."

"Daniel shi..." My heart was in pain once again trying to figure out what to say. Yes, i love her but what's the use. I asked her to let me go but i still hold onto her like the ring that i left her with before i moved out in my car. "Because if you love her, I'll let her be with you." I saw in his eyes. The same kind of feeling that i saw he had in him at the restaurant. The kind that was hidden by his defiant tone of voice. I saw pain. I tried to stop him from saying another word because this feeling and the weight on my chest is getting more and more unbearable. My mouth agap and before my voice managed to escaped, I was halted by his voice instead.

"No, Siwon shi... Don't. don't stop me from saying things that i need to say. Sooyoung loves you and i know that in her heart no matter how many times she tries to shake it off, she still loves you. You need to know that she left you to married me, not because of love. She married me because she felt like its her responsibility to make her bestfriend's last wish come true. I was dying back then. The doctor said that i was only left with a few months to live. Medication was working anymore and the only way left was chemotherapy. She deserve to with who she wants to live her life with and i know that if the world was to come to an end and she needs to choose between you and me, she choose you..."

"Daniel shi stop!"

"Siwon shi.. You have no idea how broken she was when your car left the driveway of our home the other day. She was kneeling down. Not moving an inch and just cry her eyes out. I went to her, but all i hear was her sobbings. Her heart was broken and that's when i knew that she still loves you. I left my family behind under your care before my sudden departure. Now, when i came back, all my own son ever asked about was you. "Daddy, How is Siwon Daddy doing?" When i fetch him from school, while buckling his car seat, he always asked me when are you going to pick him up again like you used to. At moments like that, i was hoping so much that i didn't leave my family behind the other time. But at same time, I think i am being selfish.."

He turned his view to the water at the lake. "...Being selfish to you..."

"Daniel shi, you're not being selfish to me. You're a friend and Sooyoung is my friend too. I've treated Yungeon like my own son. I won't deny that i love Yungeon and Sooyoung but i can't... I can't just take them from you. I thought i could but i can't."

"Stop!" A voice rosed out of nowhere. The both of us jumped in surprised when Sooyoung stood at the tree a few metres away from the bench we're sitting at. 

"Sooyoung-ah.."

"How could you, Daniel? What's the meaning of all this?! You talking to Siwon oppa about what i was feeling and trying to tell him to fight for me? Then, what? You are going to go away again? Do you think this a game? Huh?! Yungeon and i are not possessions that you can just throw to anywhere you want, okay!"

He stood up and walked towards her. "Sooyoung-ah..." He tried to reached out for her. But was stopped when Sooyoung began to blared out at him, "Don't touch me!"

"Sooyoung-ah, you can lie to me. You can lie to anyone. But you can't lie to yourself. Everynight, i heard you talk in your sleep. One name that had always been said by you while being asleep was, "Siwon oppa." You can't lie about you feel in your heart. You loved him and you still do. I'm giving you a chance to be with him whom you've always love. The papers are in your car. I've settled everything and i've signed it. I'm leaving Seoul tomorrow."

He grab her hand and mine. He began to put our hands together. 

"Before i leave for real, I'm leaving my son under your care, Siwon shi. I trust you. I t-trust that you'll protect my family with love and respect. I know you still love each other and it's been more than 4 years that i've been a bearier in your relationship. If we meet again, I hope to see you both happy together." He looked at Sooyoung, "And i will always love you like how i always do." Sooyoung was in shocked and her tears started to fall one by one. "Mianhae, You've suffered alot because of me. You sacrifice your heart for me. Right now, let me sacrifice my heart for you."

"Dan-..."

"No, don't say a word, Sooyoung-ah... I don't know if i am still strong enough to hold onto this after i hear your voice. Tell Yungeon that i love him so very much. Tell him that Siwon is his real dad. Make him forget about me. Take care and goodbye."

With that he turned leaving the both of us, confused with every single sudden change of him. He was hurt in process of making everyone okay. Sooyoung looked at me and i stared back at her. I felt bad for him even though he was the one who have decided to make this choice. His love for Sooyoung was so big that he even wanted his own son to forget about him. He wants to sacrifice this much for Sooyoung. That at some moment, i was not even confident in saying that i was able to do what he did for her; just the same.

"Oppa, do you think this right?"

"I-..."

"I love you." Sooyoung interupted my words. 

At that moment of Daniel's choice of leaving, Sooyoung told me the words that i wanted to hear but at the same time the curiousity of why Daniel did what he did, blew over. 

"I love you too." I hugged her. This time, not wanting to let her go again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note;

TOPFANY! SOOWON! So... i hope this is okay. I would like to apologize for not being able to update yesterday. I was sick and i am really sorry to keep you waiting. Don't worry, Its not the ending yet. Theres two more chapters and i'm done with 'Holding Onto Her.' Thank you for reading, commenting and Subscribing. really appreciate it.