Part 7 – The Ride, night

No Reason, Its Chemistry

 

 

 

Honestly, somehow, I can’t understand exactly with the weather this season. Its end of summer but the rain, once again fall really heavy until it feels like thousands of needles pointing at your skin when you get on the rain. I hide myself on the empty bus stop I just returned from my friend house helping him to preparing his wedding at two weeks from now, which is early autumn this year. I’m not bring my car with me when I go at his house, and because of that, I would like to cursing myself to missing the bus and can’t go anywhere because of the rain.

It’s weekend, and my driver has his day off. Ahra can’t pick me up because she has the night shift, and my parents, they are out of the country for business, which makes me just sit alone at the bus stop hoping very much if the rain would stop in no time. I look at the watch on my left wrist showing me if it’s already almost eleven at night, and it is very late. Even though there will be no one mad at me cause I home late, but still, it just not great.

I’m still looking at the ground in front of me. Looking at the puddle that make a funny rhythm from the water that falls to the ground. I still not pay any attention to my surrounding, until suddenly my focused being distracted by a car that stops right over the puddle that I’ve been stare at. It was a black car, a M5 stops right in front of me. I’m just wonder who is inside the car, thinking every possibility that can happen to whoever out from the driver seat. It can be anyone. My family or friends, or even a bad guy try to robbed me up or something, but instead of the person out of from his car, the window of the front seat is down slowly and revealing who is inside the car. I bowing myself slowly and try to looks who is the driver.

That guy… again…

“Do you need a ride?” he said slowly under from inside the car. I can hear clearly what he said even the heavy rain is somehow covered his voice between the water. He bowing his body slowly so we can see into each other “I know it’s late, but if I were you I wouldn’t want to stay out here alone at night and waiting the rain to finally stops.”

I say nothing about it, but then I just look around and yet realize if he’s true. The night getting late, and the rain, well, no one ever know when it will stops. I’m all alone, and the last bus already off hour ago. I just bite my bottom lip before finally step a little under the rain and enter the front seat quickly so I wouldn’t get wet much. I sat beside him and still looking at the front window to how the water streaming on the mirror. The guy is turns on the heater a little so I wouldn’t get cold much here in his car.

“You know, you can put your bag on the backseat if you want, instead of hugging it tightly.” He says to me slowly as he’s start the ignition and drive. I turn my head a little at him and nod for an answer even I realize if he not seeing me at all. I slowly turn my body and put my bag on the backseat only to find his bags also there, wet and ruined by the water.

“I’m sorry I’m ruining your car seat.” I say slowly as I try to use the seat belt.

He just smile with a single laughs slips from his mouth. One of his hands is push the button on the music player on the dashboard and makes it play the music, Love Song “That’s fine, beside I’m also ruining my seat.” He says with a laugh “you know, the open parking lot is … oh by the way, where you headed to?”

I told him where my house is, and let him decide which way he’ll take. We says nothing as the ride goes. I thinks its kind of funny to sit inside his car and we sit like this, focusing our own business—well, most of the time I’m just think about how sticky my clothes are—and act like we are old friends.

Act.

I don’t think we’re act here. I don’t know whether he remember me or not, since we just meet or maybe run into each other like seconds in every occasion. It just likes a coincidence that always happen without we realize it, or maybe we are realize. Yeah, honestly, this is really funny to be inside a car with him. And maybe, even we not talk into each other whole this ride, I will always think and say if this is the nicest ride ever.

“So, here we are.” I widen my eyes in second as I realize where we are. We already arrived exactly in front of my house, and unsurprisingly the rain hasn’t stop yet “Don’t forget your bag then.”

“Thank you. See ya.” I said quickly in second just after I take my bag from the backseat and out from the car quickly. I’m run a little into the front gate and cursing myself for unprepared for the locked gate. I still scrabbling along with my bag since the keys are inside it, and not even care if in the end I ended up ruined by the rain itself.

“You’re clumsy.”

A voice come from behind me and makes me turn my body in second only just to find if the guy is bringing an umbrella and covering our body from the rain, well, I’m already all wet though. He still stands there and waiting for me to find the key, which is finally I found after minutes. I turn my body once again and look at the guy who still stands there behind me, say something to him, and more like shouting since the heavy rain makes it hard “Do you want to get inside? Warm yourself?”

“No thanks, I’m better off, it’s late.” He says simply with a smile. I just open my mouth to says something, but nod instead in understand. I smile to him for a little while and turn my body start to walk away until a hand stops me on my shoulder “take the umbrella!”

“What? No, my house is right there, it would be—“

“Well, my car is right here, so…” He smile once again and grab my hand, so I can hold the umbrella right away. I still stuck at my own pace, while he is already smiles at me “okay, see ya.” And run a little under the rain.

I only look at the umbrella that covering me now from the rain. And smile to myself before I turn my heels walk through the house, but then suddenly I turn my heels and shouting toward the other without I realize it “Wait!”

The other just stops right away just a moment before he open his car door. He look at me with some kind of questioning look, even I’m not really sure since the rain makes it difficult. I still silence in my place. I know I’m just calling him and want to say something, no I supposed to say something now after I stop him to get inside his car under the rain.

“What’s your name?” I say at him, hoping he do the same when he answer me with his name.

“What!?” he says quiet loud as raised one of his hands near his ears showing me right away if he can’t hears what I’m just saying “I can’t hear what you just say, the rain!” he says the last to words with pointing at the skies who never stops the rain.

I hold the handle of umbrella quiet tight and cursing myself for asking something like that. In the end, I realize, if we’re just only being a total stranger into each other, even we always run into each other. Finally I just smile at him and shook my head while shouting “Thank you!”

He just nods and get inside his car before drove away, leaving me stare at nothing but empty road under the rain.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks for reading :))