Showing Off

Don't Lie to Me

~~~~~Kris’ POV~~~~~

“I love this movie…” Jenny smiled contently as she closed the laptop, “So Ji Sub is so amazing in this film. The character loves his girlfriend so much... He put his life in danger just to help her get her eyesight back.”

Jenny turned sharply to me, “Not that I ever want you to do that. I want you to stay here long enough for me to see your head full of grey hair, and wrinkles all over your face, but strangely I wouldn’t trade it in for a younger model.”

I widened my eyes at Jenny, pretending to be offended, “Younger model? You mean like the boys from that high school?”

Jenny smirked, “You know I wouldn’t do that. I love you, always. Pun intended.”

“So how is living with that detective like?”

“He’s a good guy,” she crossed her arms, sighing, “don’t make him look like the bad guy.”

I scoffed as I pushed my fringe away from my face.

“He’s what I imagined my older brother would be like,” Jenny laughed, “He’s probably the older brother that every girl wants. Cool, funny, understanding, over protective but not too overbearing.”

She really thinks highly of this guy. They have only been living together for two weeks and she is already saying these things. She’s not going to fall for him will she?

“He must have a lot of girls following him at school.”

Jenny nodded, “He does! So many girls send him confessions and he just rejects them all because of obvious reasons, they are underage.”

Jenny is the only girl around him that’s not underage… what if he decides to hit on her? I have to do something that will tell that detective to block off any thoughts of liking her… and I think I have the perfect idea.

I grabbed the laptop off Jenny’s lap and placed it in the back seat.

“Put on your seatbelt,” I announced abruptly.

“You’re taking me home?”

I started the engine without replying.

“Kris, where are you taking me?”

“I am taking you somewhere.”

“Kris,” Jenny laughed nervously, “is this part of the spontaneous date?”

“Wait and see.”

--------

We pulled into the private car park of a department store.

“You’re taking me shopping? I am undercover.”

“In the compartment under the dashboard is a mask, wear it on and follow me.”

“Um… okay…”

I got out of the car and opened the door for Jenny.

Jenny frowned as she moved my hand away from the door and closed the door.

“You have really got to stop being this nice. We are basically past the honeymoon stage of our relationship. No need to be so nice.”

I smiled, “Today is important.”

Jenny looked up at me, confused, “Important?”

“Don’t worry, it’s not an anniversary or anything.”

“Okay…"

I grabbed Jenny’s hand and lead her to the jewellery section. Jenny scoffed and shook her head.

“You are so predictable, you want to buy couple rings?”

How did she know?

Jenny laughed, “It’s okay. I’ll pretend that I won’t notice.”

Pretending to be surprised, “Who said that I was buying the rings?”

~~~~~End of Kris’ POV~~~~~

~~~~~Your POV~~~~~

“I love this ring but I can’t believe you actually made me pay for it. I am undercover as a high school student you know. We aren’t exactly loaded with cash.”

“I could pay you back for this pair but you can pay for the next set of rings that we get.”

My eyes widened and I shook my head, “No, thank you.”

Kris’ eyes lit up as he looked at the couple rings. I never knew he was the sentimental type…

“You have to wear this ring, okay?”

I pouted, “But I have to school, people are going to ask why I have a couple ring on.”

“Just wear it, idols wear rings on their ring fingers too. Tell them that you bought it online and it’s the only finger that it fits.”

He really wants me to wear the ring doesn’t he? Is he really worried that someone would take me away from him?

Oh Kris, we’ve gone through so much for me to give up so easily this time around.

“Alrighty, I have to go back inside the house before Seung Heon starts to freak out.”

Kris looked down and nodded, “Okay. See you soon, then.”

I gave Kris a quick peck on the cheek and stepped out of the car.

~~~~~End of your POV~~~~~

You stepped into the house and ran into Seung Heon. His dishevelled hair and heavy breathing made you cautious has you approached him.

“Jenny, where have you been?!”

“I had a late night outing? Wow, you are really taking this role seriously-”

“I have been trying to call you for the past hour!”

Seung Heon slammed the door shut and moved into the living room.

Following behind him, oblivious to the situation, you asked, “Why? What happened?”

“They found another body matching the MO of our killer. If this really is the third one, our killer is now a serial one.”

“What?”

Seung Heon frowned at you, “Kwangsoo and Hyung Jin hyung said that they want us to check out the scene but I couldn’t go because you were out there enjoying yourself.”

“Oppa… I am so sorry…”

“Would I be here if the word ‘sorry’ solved everything? Get your phone and get it off silent, Kwangsoo hyung is going to take us to the crime scene.”

Wrinkles formed on your forehead as you watched Seung Heon storm off.

------------------

“Seriously, what took you two so long?” Kwangsoo asked you as you entered the crime scene.

You struggled to put on your gloves and let out a deflated sigh, “Best not to talk about it now. We need to concentrate on catching the killer.”

You raised the tape over your head and briefly analysed the area.

“Detective, here is the note found inside the victim’s jacket.”

In thin, stringy letters, the note said: Can’t run.

“This creep is making his kills like a cat and mouse game,” Kwangsoo commented.

You sighed as you gave the evidence back to the police officer, “Unfortunately, it’s not like Tom and Jerry.”

“So I am guessing that he is hanging his victims up like trophies,” Seung Heon hypothesised, “I was talking to the medical examiner and she said that the victims were hanged post-mortem.”

“But don’t they usually take the trophies home with them?”

You put your hands on your waist, “Not necessarily, our murderer probably wants to show off. It makes sense, his first victim is a woman and then moves onto a male who is young but not exactly strong.”

“And now he is able to escalate to a young male who is very capable of fending off attackers. Our victim’s name, according to the ID in his wallet, is Lee Chun Woo. Aged 24 and is managing an organisation that helps people who have been harassed and bullied online.”

“These guys are connected for sure. Something happened. Why after all these years?” you thought out loud.

“The school anniversary! It has to be that. Something must have happened at that event. You two need to go home now and think of ways to ask the students. They would have heard something. High school students know everything nowadays.”

“But- but- we just got onto the crime scene.”

“Don’t worry, I’ve got this. You two hanging around here is not good either. What if those reporters take a photo, you two will get busted. One of the police officers will give you a ride home.”

You rolled your eyes and tugged on the gloves to pull them off.

“Darn… gloves…” you mumbled.

Seung Heon reached his hand out to help you when you took off the glove on your left hand off. Noticing the ring on your finger, Seung Heon pulled his hand away from you and walked to the police car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi guys! Sorry for the VERY LONG wait. A lot of things have been happening in my life, like graduating from uni and working. The grown up world is a demanding yet liberating place... 

I will try and update sooner! =)