Innocent Until Proven Guilty

Don't Lie to Me

“I’m sorry that I ran away. I thought you were someone else,” Seung Yeon explained, “I thought you were lying about being a detective. I genuinely thought that you were a bad person.”

Her eyes looked up at the two way mirror, pleading to her brother on the other side of it, “Oppa… please help me… You know I wouldn’t kill anyone.”

“You know exactly why he can’t help you right now.”

She was Seung Heon’s sister but I had to treat her as a normal suspect. Sympathy and bruised ego aside, you had to treat her like a normal suspect.

Tapping on the pages of the diary, you demanded for an explanation.

“I don’t know why they would say that,” she cried into her palms, “I mean I did say that their designs needed improvement but I didn’t undermine them or bully them. I swear.”

You crossed your arms and sighed, “Baek Seung Yeon-sshi, you have to tell me everything that you know. You’re a suspect in a triple homicide.”

“But they jumped off themselves, I didn’t push them off.”

“Put away the fact that your brother is a detective, don’t you think he is hurting right now that his sister, that he raised up, is on the bad side of the law?”

Seung Yeon pondered in silence before answering, “Those three were taking an internship at BB Fashion Magazine, where I work.” She wiped the tears from her face before continuing, “In the workplace, they lacked professionalism and in the studio, they lacked creativity. Yes, I was being harsh on them but I did that to push their limits as an artist. You’ve seen, ‘The Devil Wears Prada’, right? I was like that.”

Seung Yeon grabbed your hands, “My brother spoke to me on the phone about you and he says you have good intuition, please… please help me… I would never hurt anyone.”

You were conflicted. Your gut feeling was telling you that she’s innocent but your head was just not 100% sure. You’ve researched and you’ve seen suspects who were able to flip their switch from nice to pure evil in an instant. What would be different with the suspect sitting in front of you? The fact that she was your partner’s sister? The fact that she has the same eyes as Seung Heon, the same eyes that you could trust so easily?

“I’m sorry, Baek Seung Yeon-sshi, I’m going to have to put you in the cell for a night until I can find any other evidence that can rule you out as a suspect.”

You stood up and collected the diaries back, preparing to leave the interrogation room.  

As you held onto the doorknob, Seung Yeon called out to you.

“Yes?”

“Please look after my brother…”

~~~~~~~~~~~~

You walked down the corridor at the police station and handed Seung Heon a bottle of water. Without looking at you, he thanked you, weakly.

“Sorry I couldn’t go easy on your sister in there, I can’t be biased…”

Seung Heon fidgeted with the bottle lid. “Do you think she’s guilty?”

You exhaled and folded your arms in front of your chest, “Innocent until proven guilty, right?”

Seung Heon threw the lid into the bin and chugged down all the water. “I need to go for a run.”

As he turned away, you pulled him back by the sleeves of his jacket, “I need you to be working on this case if you want your mother to sleep comfortably tonight. I held off interviewing her so… we have about 7 hours to find something.”

~~~~~~~~~~~

“My sister’s diary is just full of drawings of dresses,” Seung Heon frowned.

“Okay, why is your sister’s computer security so tight?”

“She was being cautious. A major security breach happened a few years back, so… we had to be cautious about technology. I tried to avoid it as much as possible but Seung Yeon lives for SNS…” he cut his sentence off with a sigh. “I just hope you’re able to help her where I can’t.”

~~~~~Flashback~~~~~

Seung Heon sat in between his hysterical mother and sister, his eyes followed the lawyer’s hand. A physical copy of online bank statements were being waved around as the lawyer passionately dismissed his father’s accusation of the other party’s fraud.

“…  BaekSeung Group is now the rightful property of Kim Yang Ji and Baek Seung Yoo’s case will be dismissed…”

Seung Heon’s knuckles turned pale as he watch Kim Yang Ji smirk his way out of the courtroom.

~~~~~End of flashback~~~~~

“Kim Yang Ji…” Seung Heon recalled.

“Who’s that?” you asked, keeping your eyes on the computer screen.

“The man who stole my dad’s company and made our lives horrible afterwards.”

You turned your waist and rested your arm on the back of the chair, “I’m really sorry to hear that…”

“The man was horrible. He made sure that we stayed at the bottom of society by following us around and spying on our house. We moved around so much that it was pointless to remember the street address. Don’t worry.” Seung Heon smiled faintly, “It’s gotten better ever since I graduated from the academy.”

“Which was why your sister thought it would be okay to be in Seoul…”

“My sister wouldn’t hurt anyone.”

“I wouldn’t be here if I thought she would.”

You spun back to the computer and began opening up the protection programs on it.

“Oppa, what was the name of your company?”

“BaekSeung Group but it’s now called KYJ Enterprises.”

“Oh! You mean the one that owns about 20% of Liberty’s shares?”

Seung Heon placed his sister’s diary down before heading over to you. “Liberty?”

You gave Seung Heon a reassuring smile, “I think I might have found how emails were being sent from your sister’s computer. I think.”

“Well… don’t just leave me hanging.”

“If what you’re saying about the spying is right, Kim Yang Ji might have been accessing your sister’s computer through the anti-spyware company, Liberty. Which… is a bit ironic if-”

Seung Heon wrapped his arms tightly around your shoulders, “Thank you Jenny! Thank you!”

Your lips curved upwards, “You’re welcome.”

~~~~~~Four months ago~~~~~~

The same person who had been stalking you headed confidently into Kim Yang Ji’s office.

“Hello CEO Kim, it’s very nice to meet you.”

“Who are you and why are you walking nonchalantly into my office?”

The person laughed hysterically before dropping a white folder on Kim Yang Ji’s desk.

Kim Yang Ji eyed the folder for a while before hastily opening it.

“How did you get this?”

“Give me access to her computer and the police won’t get a copy of what’s in that folder. You were bound to get caught one day for accessing her computer, just let me take the blame for it.”

“Why do you need to access her computer?”

The person clicked the tongue and gave Kim Yang Ji a piercing stare, “Do you want the police to be asking you as many questions are you are asking me?”

Kim Yang Ji gritted his teeth together, “Give me a week.”

The person chuckled and planted himself down on the sofa, “I’ll give you an hour.”