Red Pendant.

Don't Lie to Me

~~~~~Your POV~~~~~

“We received a call from a teacher. Student’s name is Ok Soo Hee. Second year student.” The police officer informed me through my earpiece.

“I went to her house to interview her but her mother said that they had an argument and she went to stay the night with a friend,” Seung Heon added as we reached the door leading to the roof top.

Seung Heon kicked down the door and I ran out to see the girl holding onto the railings. “You talk with her, I’m going to try and tackle her away from the ledge.”

I nodded before Seung Heon ran off to the side.

“Ok Soo Hee! You don’t need to jump. We have Baek Seung Yeon in locked up in jail. She can’t hurt you!”

“Don’t come any further or I will lean over!”

The girl spun around on her heels and wobbled on the ledge as she tried to face me.

“Detective, do you think jail will do anything? She get outs after two – three years and I will be forgotten. No one will remember me.”

I stepped forward and looked at her with pleading eyes, “If you come down, I will remember you as the first person I saved.”

The girl put her hand under the collar of her shirt and pulled out her necklace. Playing with it, she contemplated about whether or not, to jump. I guess I’m on the right track then.

“Tell me, Ok Soo Hee. What did she do to you? I need to know so I can make sure she gets the time that she deserves.”

Soo Hee began tearing up, “She took away my sunbaes… my sisters… she made them jump and today I will make her pay!”

I made slow steps towards the girl, “Why don’t you sit down and we can talk about it?”

She wailed as she slowly crouched down, “It wasn’t meant to end like this!”

She wasn’t completely off the ledge yet so I stepped on it, trying to place myself in a good position to grab her just in case she jumped. I glanced down to see a lot of students pointing and whispering things to each other but no signs of the fire crew.

“Even the fire crew aren’t here to save me. No one remembers me! I will be forgotten! I hate everyone!”

The girl confused me. Her reason to jump kept switching back and forth from her not being noticed to seeking revenge on Seung Yeon to wanting to give up. I’m starting to think that she is doing this for attention but with three girls already dead, I couldn’t make that assumption.

“And so you should be. You should stay alive to tell them that.”

Soo Hee’s knuckles went white as she tightly gripped on the bracelet. “I can’t let them get away that easily. I have to make them remember me… give them nightmares about me…”

“The necklace… is it special to you?”

The smirk on her face gave me the creeps for a second as she recalled how she came to get it, “The person who gave it to me treasures it a lot.”

“A boyfriend?”

“No, my Maestro.”

Next thing I knew, my forehead was hurting, someone was holding onto my hand and Seung Heon’s voice was strained as he called out my name.

“Jenny! Are you okay?”

I grabbed onto the railing and tried to assess what was happening.

“If you’ve got  your balance back, I’m going to let go.”

I nodded my head and Seung Heon released my hand and quickly clamped it to Soo Hee’s hand, who was dangling in mid air. WAIT – DANGLING IN MID AIR?!

“LET ME GO!” she squirmed.

I noticed the scratch marks on Seung Heon’s hand and I tried to calm the girl down. Below me, I could hear the girl’s mother begging her to hold on and her father demanding to be let into the building.

“Soo Hee! You can’t go now! Your parents want to see you live.”

“Jenny… I can’t…” Seung Heon said through his teeth.

I instantly reached for her arm but just before I could grab it, she kicked herself away from the wall and away from Seung Heon’s grip.

“THE FLOWER WILL BLOOM AGAIN!” was tangled with the last breath to escape from her lungs. 

Guilt got to me like a rising tide, I felt hopeless as I let another person die. I couldn’t do anything to help her or even relieve her pain. She was so hurt that she desperately chose death over life.

“YOU ANIMALS! YOU LET MY DAUGHTER DIE! YOU-”

Ok Soo Hee’s father’s words were muffled by police officers who pulled him and his wife away from their deceased daughter.

~~~~~~~~~~~

School was cancelled for the day and Ok Soo Hee’s parents went to their lawyer’s office to see if they could press charges against us.

“Don’t be so hard on yourself, you can’t save everyone.” Kwangsoo tried to comfort me.

“I know, but I could have… She was standing right in front of me,” you forcefully wiped the tears from your face, “We have Baek Seung Yeon locked up in cell when we know she’s innocent, we have four very suspicious suicides and one unknown culprit to it all.”

Kwangsoo handed me a pair of gloves. “She died with the necklace held tightly in her hand.”

“She was holding it pretty tightly on the roof top as well.”

“Maybe we should do some research into the person who gave it to her,” Seung Heon added.

“Good idea. She mentioned something about a maestro who gave it to her.”

“Maestro? But that’s music related… the victim was a drama student who interned at a fashion magazine…” Kwangsoo furrowed his brows.

I slid my hands into my gloves and glanced down at the girl’s hand, which was still holding onto the ruby pendant necklace.

“We should interview other students and her parents,” Seung Heon suggested.

Kwangsoo put his hands on his waist, “That’s going to be difficult since they’re bringing lawyers into the equation.”

I stood up and reached for my phone to call Jong Hyun.

------Phone call------

Jong Hyun: What do you need?
Me: A log of our victim’s phone calls and messages for the last month.
Jong Hyun: What if I told you I have something better?
Me: *laughs* Then I would highly appreciate it.
Jong Hyun: It took me a really long time to get around it but I managed to find out that all four girls answered a phone call from this one number located right here in Seoul.
Me: Do you have an address?
Jong Hyun: They used a prepaid sim and they re-routed the calls so I can’t get to it.
Me: Oh…
Jong Hyun: And the weird thing is, the person who made those calls has a really weird method
Me: Weird method?
Jong Hyun: They use such technical methods to get things done. Too technical. It’s like they planned everything out.
Me: But you’re pretty sure that the last call that all those girls had were from the same person?
Jong Hyun: I could bet everything I own on it.
Me: Thanks.
Jong Hyun: No worries, just come back to the office after lunch so we can join our brains together and find who made those calls.
Me: Sure thing.

-------End of phone call-------

“Jong Hyun oppa just said that the last phone call that all the four girls received were from the same phone.”

“Maybe it’s the maestro person.”

I puffed up my cheeks. Maybe this is more than just a cyber-bullying case. And the necklace just got a whole lot more interesting…

I need to know who gave Ok Soo Hee that necklace.

“Let’s ask Jungkook.”

~~~~~End of your POV~~~~~