Warm Welcome.

Don't Lie to Me

~~~~~Seung Heon’s POV~~~~~

I should probably call mum and Seung Yeon to check up on them. It’s been some time since I have contacted them… they should be safe now.

“Baek Seung Heon.”

I’ve been running for a while now and I’m still not out of breath… glancing down at the screen on the treadmill to check the speed, I noticed that I was just running in a straight line.

“No wonder… I wasn’t running uphill.”

“Yah, Baek Seung Heon.”

An arm extended from the corner of my right eye and turned off the treadmill. Sharply turning my head, I saw Min Woo hyung frowning at me. I bowed and caught the towel he threw at me.

“What do you think about when you run? You didn’t even hear me calling your name.”

I stepped off the treadmill and dabbed away the sweat on my forehead, “Sorry, I was thinking about family.”

“That’s good, then you’ll be in the mood to welcome another member into your work family. Your partner is here,” Min Woo hyung stated.

Sweat ran down my forehead as my eyebrows knitted together, “But I’m planning on transferring to the homicide unit soon.”

“We’ll worry about it when you transfer into my homicide unit. Now get changed and follow me up to your floor.”

~~~~

Following Min Woo hyung’s actions, I scanned my ID and entered the office.

“Jong Hyun and Jae Kyung are the data analysts. Jong Hyun is all fun and games but the kid hates losing. Jae Kyung is all hair and make up but when both Jong Hyun or Seung Heon have off days, she’s all bare faced and grumpy.”

“Oppa!” Jae Kyung noona snapped at Kwangsoo hyung. Her eyes softened as she turned and grinned at me.

“Ah! And there is Seung Heon and Min Woo. Seung Heon is your partner and he knows nothing about computers but he’s really good at piecing things together and has a bad habit of dragging us to the gym. Min Woo is the detective from the homicide unit that we work with. He’s not really wanted around here but he’s always sticking around.”

“What?” Min Woo hyung raised his tone and put Kwangsoo hyung in a headlock, “How many times do I have to put you in a headlock, huh?”

The new detective chuckled as she watched her seniors play fought with each other. She turned her attention towards me and gave me a polite smile. Returning the fond smile, I made light steps in her direction.

“Anneonghaseyo, my name is Jenny Nguyen,” her hand reached out towards me.

“Baek Seung Heon,” I replied, giving her a solid hand shake.

“Kwangsoo oppa said I can just drop the formalities with you and call you Seung Heon oppa,” Jenny flashed me a smile.

“Um… yeah,” I nodded, “Of course.”

She swung her arms behind her back and looked up at me, “So I hear that you’re a runner.”

“I’ve been doing track for as long as I could remember.”

Jenny narrowed her eyes as she nodded, “I guess you’ll be doing the majority of the chasing then. I’m not a distance runner but I do have a knack for sprinting and distances below 100 metres.”

I laughed, “So just sprinting then?”

Jenny joined in on the laughter, “Basically, yeah.”

I put my hand out for a hand shake and it might have been a subconscious thing but I found myself trying to get a quick glance at her ring finger but she still had her left arm behind her back.

“Welcome to the Cybercrime unit, Jenny.”

“Thank you for giving me such a warm welcome.”

~~~~~End of Seung Heon’s POV~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~A few days later~~~~~~~~~

You and Kris waited at the airport together.

“Man, I cannot wait to see them!” you grinned, “It feels like forever since I’ve seen them!”

Kris’s lips curved slightly upwards, “You know that they’re going to go off at you for leaving them right?”

You looked up at Kris with a guilty smile, “You didn’t go off at me, maybe they’ll be the same.”

“Jenny Nguyen, how dare you leave us!”

You laughed as you tried to find your balance, “Sammy…”

“Unni!” Ji Hae cried out dramatically before pulling you into a bear hug.

“Yah, did you have a growth spurt?”

Kris chuckled as he watched you piggy backing Shin Ah, Sammy and Ji Hae and being smothered by So Yeon and Min Jung.

He bent down next to your ear, “Do you still think they won’t hurt you?”

“I think… I might have to take a rain check on what I said…”

“Okay kids, Jenny is protecting Korea now, we have to keep her in tip-top shape.”

“We missed you so much!”  So Yeon squeezed you with her hug, “How could you leave without even saying goodbye?”

“Sorry…”

~~~~~~~~~~

So Yeon tugged on her seatbelt and leaned forward, “Jenny ah, are there any cute guys where you work?”

Kris shook his head lightly when your expressions became livelier.

“There’s Min Woo sunbae but the is a bit…”

“How many years?” Shin Ah inquired.

You puffed up your cheeks as you stared up, “He’s born in ’85.”

“Anyone else?” Ji Hae whined.

“My partner, Baek Seung Heon, is pretty nice. He’s around Kris oppa’s age. He’s tall… and has really nice broad manly shoulders and…”

Knowing it will cause uproar amongst the Alpha members, you paused, “he has dimples!”

“Kya! I love guys with dimples!”

Kris smiled forcefully at the side view mirror and poked his cheeks in an difficult effort to get dimples.

“And his eye smile…” you sighed.

Kris forcefully smiled, squinting at the road. Glancing at him, you chuckled over his poor attempt at an eye smile.

Kris cleared his throat, “I want to have a party for Jenny’s return so tell me when you’re free so we can set a date.”

*You got a message! You got a message!*

“Whoa. After all this time you’ve still got the same tone?” Sammy asked, “Some things just never change.”

You frowned, “It’s cute…”

To: Jenny
From: T.Leader Bae

We need you at HQ ASAP. New case.

You sighed loudly, “I have to go back to work.”

“Why? It’s a Sunday and we just came home!” Ji Hae pouted.

You turned around and rubbed your hands together, “I’m sorry… but crime does not take a break and plus, I am in unit B, we can the left over cases. It’ll be quick.”

Ji Hae scrunched up her face, “Crime doesn’t not take a break… don’t tell me that there are more clichéd police lines that are going to come from you…”