Rookie Detective.

Don't Lie to Me

March 16th 2019-

You sat in the passenger seat in Kris’ car, fussing about whether or not it was professional looking to roll up your sleeves.

“Jenny, don’t get yourself in too much trouble. I don’t want bad guys coming after you,” Kris frowned.

You grabbed Kris’s hand and smiled, “Don’t worry. I’ll be careful. You sound like my dad.”

Kris exhaled slowly, “Your dad warned me that you’re the most careless when you promise you’ll be careful.”

Your eyes widened as you hastily grabbed Kris’ arm, “You talked to my dad?”

Kris laughed and parked the car, “Have a good day at work.”

He freed you from your seatbelt and leaned over to open the door for you and to also sneak in a quick kiss.

“Wait, what did you and my dad talk about?”

A smirk formed on his face, “Bye Jenny.”

“Fine, but this is not over,” you grabbed your bag and hopped out of the car before being tackled by Kwangsoo.

“Oppa! I could have just been tossed you into the air like a pancake! Don’t scare me like that!”

Kwangsoo smiled sheepishly, “Sorry, I am just so excited to see you working.”

“Hyung! Look after her!” Kris shouted out.

“Her father said the same thing!” Kwangsoo replied.

You crossed your arms, “How many people have my dad called? And since when did you speak Korean? Kris, I get because my dad speaks a bit of Cantonese… but you…”

“Let’s just say that you get your resourcefulness from your father. And also, I put your ID card into your jacket pocket,” Kwangsoo noted with a proud grin.

You waved your finger in front of his face, making fun of his effort to out smart you, “Oh, you mean your pocket,” you corrected.

Kwangsoo raised his eyebrows, “What?”

He rummaged through his pockets and pulled out your ID card, “You’re good.”

You nodded arrogantly, “I know.”

Kwangsoo narrowed his eyes at you before putting his arm around your shoulder and leading you towards the gates. The building was heavily guarded. Bricks barricaded the premises, leaving a gap large enough for people and cars to enter and exit. Kwangsoo scanned your ID and led you through the gates and towards the building.

“We’re on the 17th floor. The homicide unit that we work with is on the 19th floor. Sometimes they need our help and so they come down and ask.”

“Who’s in between?”

“Oh, that’s the other homicide unit. Unit A. They’re more… how do I put this without sounding like I dislike them…”

“More arrogant?” you suggested.

“Let’s just say that anyone in ‘A’ here will be getting TV interviews… and yeah, they’re a bit cocky.”

You puffed your cheeks, “So we’re like the other guys.”

Kwangsoo patted you on the back, “Don’t be discouraged, I just heard that homicide unit B has a pretty good case right now so fingers crossed that it’s cyber related.”

You and Kwangsoo walked into the elevator.

“So is there anything I should know about our team?” you asked enthusiastically.

“You met detective Bae Hyung Jin right? Well he’s the team leader now. I am lieutenant Han. There are also two data analysts and there is only one other detective, you being our second. The first-”

“Oppa,” you jumped in, “What is cybercrime unit A like?”

Kwangsoo laughed out of disbelief as he leaned on the mirror of the elevator and rubbed his chin.

“Where do I even begin? Their data analysts are the top graduates from MIT and Yale. Their detectives were in the top ten at the police academy. They don’t have a lieutenant and I have saved the best ‘til last. Their team leader is-”

The doors parted and blocking the exit was a man, looking down at you.

Cybercrime Unit A – Kim Soo Ro

Lining up behind him were five people, all with their chins pointing upwards and their eyes glaring at you.

“Anneonghaseyo,” you bowed nonchalantly.

The man took his hands out of the pockets of his pants and slammed them on the elevator door, stopping it from closing.

“Look here, it’s the new VIETNAMESE kid.”

Your bottom jaw jerked to the side and the muscles tensed.

“Neh sunbaenim, she’s the cyber prodigy that’s been transferred from Australia,” Kwangsoo advertised.

Clearly amused, the man raised his eyebrows, “Is that so? Prodigy? Just because you can decrypt a few codes, doesn’t make you a prodigy.”

You took in a deep breath and tried to look disinterested in what he was saying.

“But then I could be wrong. Maybe she is better than my data analysts from IVY league universities.”

“She’s actually a detective.”

“Ahh… so maybe she’s quicker than my top ten ranking detectives?” he teased.

“Excuse me, but when lieutenant Han told me about how great unit A was at solving crimes, I was not expecting them to just be hanging around the building and blocking elevator doors. You see, Australia doesn’t have IVY league universities, nor do we have Korean police academies so a comparison can’t be made because the standards are different,” you took a sharp breath, “but I sure hope I can block elevator doors as good as your team, sir. Whoa… I am just… so jealous,” you mocked.

Kim Soo Ro put his arm down and straightened the sleeves of his suit, “Why not just go to Vietnam?”

You stepped forward, “Justice does not associate itself with discrimination.”

Kwangsoo laughed nervously as he wedged himself between you and the team leader.

“Sunbaenim, she’s new. It must be the straightforward culture of Australia. I should probably show her around the office.”

Kwangsoo held his hand out of the elevator and nudged you to the side to make room for Unit A. 

~~~~~

Your first encounter with unit A left a bitter aftertaste. As the event replayed itself in your head, you scoffed at the end of every piece of dialogue coming out of Kim Soo Ro’s mouth. Kwangsoo sighed as he watched you rolled up the sleeves of your blazer, knowing very well that for you, what happened just then wasn’t the end of it.

The elevator doors parted and Kwangsoo plastered on a huge grin and led you to the office, with his hands on your shoulders.

“Okay! Let’s get you to meet everyone!”