Family's Past

Don't Lie to Me

~~~~~Seung Heon’s POV~~~~~

I’m guessing that since Jenny has a change of clothes, she didn’t stay over at her boyfriend’s house. That’s a good thing. Although, something about this style of clothing was different to Jenny’s usual casual style. Her winter jacket was replaced with a trench coat, her graphic t-shirt was replaced with a long sleeved button-up shirt and her sneakers were discarded for boots. Of course she still looked amazing but such a change… it doesn’t seem like her.

“Jungkook, are you sure that you don’t know anything about the incidences of cyber bullying?” Jenny interrogated.

“Noona, I know that no one in their right mind would lie to you,” Jungkook reasoned.

Jenny’s eyebrows knitted together, “And the others don’t know?”

“If there was someone, it could only be the third year students,” Jungkook waved his hand out towards me, “You should get hyung to ask the third year students. He was part of their grade for a few months.”

Jenny spun around on the heels of her boots, “Jungkook’s got a point, you should interview the kids from your class.”

SNSD’s “I Got A Boy” echoed around the room. Jenny snickered as she turned away from me. It wasn’t until my phone began vibrating that I realised that it was my phone that was blasting out the girl group song.

“Whoa! I haven’t heard that song since I was  in primary school!” Jungkook pointed out.

Hiding her laugh behind her fingers, Jenny nodded, “I’ll go warm up the third year kids. You-you go answer the phone.”

“I didn’t know hyung liked SNSD.”

Jenny leaned in closer to Jungkook’s ear. He looks a bit out of it when we got here so I decided to cheer him up, I read Jenny’s lips.

A small laugh slipped through my lips. Am I overthinking things about this gesture? She noticed that I wasn’t feeling right and she thought of a way to cheer me up. But then again… Jenny is pretty observant… she’s a detective after all, being observant would be like second nature to her.

“Hey SONE, are you going to wait until the song ends?” Jenny teased.

I scoffed and pulled out my phone.

Mum.

“I’m going to go outside.”

Jenny sniggered, “Okay.”

I ran out to the basketball court and answered the phone.

--------Phone call--------

Me: Mum, what’s wrong?
Mum: *laughs* Nothing is wrong, I just wanted to check up on you.
Me: You only ever check up on me when you are worried. Do you want me to go home? Did something happen with Seung Yeon?
Mum: No, no. Your sister is fine and we moved houses again.
Me: Again? Are they bothering you?
Mum: No… they’re not bothering us. Seung Yeon was complaining about how far away our house was away from the rest of the town.
Me: Tell her not to worry, once I finish this case, I’ll have enough money to rent an apartment in a secure building.
Mum: When I stop worrying is when you get married. *laughs*
Me: Mum…
Mum: You’re almost 30, you could at least have a girlfriend. Maybe a girl that you’re interested in?
Me: We’ll talk about this later. I have to get back to work.
Mum: Alri-
Me: But if anything happens, you must call immediately.
Mum: Alright. I love you, bye.
Me: I love you too, mum.

---------End of phone call--------

“They better not be bothering my family, again.”

~~~~~End of Seung Heon’s POV~~~~~

~~~~~~~~Flash back~~~~~~~~

January 2011.

Seung Heon crossed the finish line of the Taeneung Training Centre’s race track, for the 26th time that session.

“Excellent! 45.53s!” the coach patted Seung Heon on the back, “At this rate, Olympic officials will definitely have their eyes on you.”

Seung Heon bowed, “Thank you, coach.”

“Now go home and get some rest. You’ve stayed here for a year without going home. Go home, get some rest and come back next week, ready for .”

“Neh.”

~~~~~~

Proudly walking up the driveway of his house, Seung Heon took out his phone and attempted to call his landline. Calling it a house would have been an understatement, his mansion was located on a hectare of land, 20 minutes away from the closest town. His father is the chairman of the BaekSeung Group, specialising in household appliances, but most importantly a loving father. It was probably the fact that Mr Baek cared for his family so much that he never told them anything which may upset them.

Muddled, he stared at the phone, “That’s strange… why isn’t anyone picking up?”

Finally reaching the entrance to his home, the doors were pulled back and stepping out were men in suits.

“What’s going on?!”

“Oppa!” Seung Yeon called out in a strained voice.

Dropping his bags, he ran towards his sister, “What’s going on?”

“Dad… dad’s company has been taken over!”

His eyebrows knitted together, “What do you mean?”

“Some people from the bank said that dad signed the company over to, and gave our house away to Kim Yang Ji.”

“Kim Yang Ji?!” Seung Heon questioned, “Why him?”

“He scammed us! He scammed us!” Seung Yeon roared.

~~~~~~End of flash back~~~~~~