Big Break.

Don't Lie to Me

~~~~~Your POV~~~~~

“Hello and congratulations on making it into the fundraising committee,” the committee president greeted everyone.

I leaned over to Yeon Mi, “Didn’t everyone who signed up get in?”

Yeon Mi giggled and nodded her head.

“This year, we must out do the grade above us. It will be difficult but we can do it,” she smiled optimistically.

I raised my hand in the air.

“Yes?”

“What did the third years do exactly?”

The girl pulled out a large scrap book from her bag and dropped it on the table.

“Here is the behind the scenes book from last year’s major fundraising event,” she flicked the cover opened and pushed the book into the centre of the table.

The cover was full of gory images from horror movies. It ranged from urban legends like Bloody Mary and the typical school girl ghost to major horror franchises like Freddy Kruger, Jason and Jigsaw.

“So they scared people to get money?” I asked.

“Precisely. They created mazes where people could choose to either be rescued by one of the ‘good looking’ organisers or to save the ‘good looking’ organisers. So students had the chance to play hero or damsel in distress.”

“It was such a big hit because they had the 60th anniversary then and the sunbaes were willing to get scared to fundraise for us,” another student pointed out.

I nodded my head. That is a pretty awesome way to fundraise. I wished my high school did that…

“This year, we are planning to switch to dramas.”

“Dramas?” Jungkook asked.

“We give people the opportunity to be in dramas. We will act out drama scenes within the school, according to the student’s directions. For example, if a girl wants to be in a ‘hate turn love’ relationship, she will give us 10000 won and we act out one scene for her. If she wants to go through another scene, she pays another 10000 won.”

I raised my hand, “What if someone took it too seriously?”

The committee president crossed her arms, “Don’t worry about it. It won’t happen.”

Mr Georgalis walked into the room and smiled at me, “Don’t worry Jae Mi, nothing like that will happen. Sorry everyone for being late, I got a bit caught up with the soccer team.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not being assigned an official position in the committee yet, Jungkook, Yeon Mi, Ji Won and I were flicking through the scrap book. The third year students sure put a lot of work into it. The make up was amazing and the way they changed the school really made it look like it was the set of the horror movie.

“I am seriously impressed…” I admired the pages.

“Maybe we’ll be the acting team for this. I mean, don’t you guys think that Jae Mi and I look good?” Jungkook put his arm around me.

Yeon Mi and Ji Won pretended to gag, “Our Jae Mi, can do so much better.”

I zoned out from their conversation and continued flicking through the book.

SLENDER MAN~! TALL AND LANKY, JANG GUN!!!!!

Slender man? I flipped to the front cover and saw a picture of Slender man. Ha, I didn’t even recognise the internet legend.

“I remember him… I used to play that game all the time.”

“Slender man? We were only 10. You played the game?” Jungkook questioned.

Crap. Right. I am only meant to be 18…

“I played it during middle school. It wasn’t popular but I loved to play games so yeah…”

“The girl is intelligent, beautiful and she loves to play games! Hallelujah, where can we find another one like you?”

Mr Georgalis whacked Jungkook swiftly behind the head. The girls and I giggled at Jungkook’s facial expression.

“Teacher!”

“Stop bothering Jae Mi. Your mental ages are too far apart.”

--------Flash back---------

“Detective, here is the note found inside the victim’s jacket.”

In thin, stringy letters, the note said: Can’t run.

~~~~~

“Jenny, Kwang Soo hyung sent us an email which backs up our theory that the murderer is playing cat-and-mouse with the victims.”

Seung Heon handed me his phone.

To: Seung Heon
From: Kwang Soo hyung

Both vics had notes in their jacket. Why we weren’t told straight away, I don’t know. HAN So Ri’s note: Always watches. JO Min Ki’s note: No no no no no.

----------End of flash back---------

“Oh my gosh!”

“Jae Mi, what’s wrong?” Yeon Mi asked.

I know why this case is linked to the cybercrime unit…

Breathing heavily, I answered, “I-I-I think- I think I left the stove on at home.”

“No one is at your home! What are you going to do?”

“I have to get home!”

Slowing down my breathing, I stood up and grabbed my things.

“Mr Georgalis, I have to go home. Please tell the administration office that I am leaving school.”

I ran out of the classroom and dashed towards the front gates. I should probably call Seung Heon as well. The more time I can spend researching this, the faster I can catch this murderer.

--------Phone call---------

Seung Heon: What is it?
Me: Oppa, we need to get home now. Family stuff.
Seung Heon: Right now?
Me: Yeah, it is really important.

--------End of phone call---------

“Jae Mi!” I heard Mr Georgalis call out.

Despite being in a rush, I decelerated to let Mr Georgalis catch up.

“Sir, what’s wrong?”

Out of breath, Mr Georgalis put his hand on my shoulder, “Just- just know that- that- even though you might not come to this school anymore, don’t hesitate to talk to me.”

“Might not come to this school anymore?”

“Something tells me that the reason you’re like this is not because you left the stove on but there might be some legal problems with you and your brother.”

I patted Mr Georgalis’ shoulder, “Don’t worry, you were my favourite teacher here anyways.”

I’ll probably miss all of them. I’ll miss Jungkook’s attempts to hit on me, I’ll miss Yeon Mi’s love for k-pop and Ji Won’s reserved nature. They gave me the high school experience that I have always wanted. No delinquents, no pompous rich kids and no cocky people.

“Jae Mi! Let’s go!” Seung Heon shouted out as he ran towards me.

I gave Mr Georgalis a hug, “Please tell my friends that I’ll miss them.”

“Goodbye, Jae Mi.”

“Bye sir.”

I pulled away from the hug and joined Seung Heon.

~~~~~End of your POV~~~~~