First Case.

Don't Lie to Me

~~~~~Your POV~~~~~~

I threw the ID lanyard over my head and paced towards the elevator.

“Jenny ah!” I heard Min Woo sunbae call out to me.

“Anneonghaseyo, oppa.”

“Aish, I was in the middle of a date with my girlfriend and I got this text.”

“You have a girlfriend?”

Min Woo stared at me, dumbfounded, “You don’t think I can have a girlfriend?”

I quickly shook my head, “No. No. I was just… describing you to some of my friends…”

Min Woo nodded his head as we both stepped into the elevator, “I see… This case must be pretty important since Hyung Jin hyung never writes ‘New Case’ for casual cases.”

Awesome! My first big case. Finally jumping into the deep end. I spent a majority of the ride up to the office acting like a child in a toy store with a million dollars.

“You’re pretty lucky rookie, you get a big case one week in,” Min Woo whacked me in the back.

The elevator door opened and I caught a glimpse of the team leader from unit A.

Min Woo furrowed his eyes, “If he’s here, it can’t be good. Let’s go.”

I followed behind Min Woo and we entered the office, as Kim Soo Ro was about to leave.

“It’s your lucky day today, import.”

Import? Import? Did this man just compare to a piece of object? I am going to give him a piece of –

“Come on Jenny, you don’t want to miss out on this case!” Seung Heon grabbed my shoulders and led me into the meeting room.

I quickly took a seat next to Kwangsoo and turned my attention to the projector screen.

“Okay guys, we have a cyber killer on the lose,” Kwang Soo started off, “There have already been two victims.”

The presentation slide changed to the crime scene photos and everyone went silent. The photos were not pleasant. I am just glad that I didn’t eat anything beforehand.  

“Both victims were found in isolated parks and impaled on the trees. The relatively clean crime scenes, evident in the lack of drag marks and disturbance in plants, show that both homicides were premeditated.”

Seriously, what sick person would do such a thing?

“Our first victim is Han So Ri, 25 years old, worked as a fashion designer and was last seen on the 2nd of February this year and her body was found two days later. Our second victim is Jo Min Ki, 24 years old, worked as an IT consultant for MN Telecom and was last seen on the 5th of March and his body was found the four days later.”

“What did the autopsy say?”

“Both victims only had coffee prior to their deaths. Tests on the stomach revealed that only coffee and propofol was present. The medical examiner believe that the killer must have mixed it in with the victim’s coffee,” Kwangsoo let out a deep sigh before continuing, “The effects would have been close to immediate. However, the cause of death was being impaled on the tree.”

They didn’t even have a chance to fight back… But the person has to be pretty strong to carry the body up the tree…

Seung Heon leaned forward, “If the effects were immediate, the killer must have been near the victims to pick them up. They have offered to help the victims and then abducted them.”

“Yes, and we’re afraid that if this killer strikes again, they’ll become a serial killer and things are just going to get more difficult for us.”

Jae Kyung crossed her arms and leaned back in her chair, “Why is this a cyber crime?”

“Good question! Unit A had to find a good answer to that when the homicide team pushed it to them. Turns out, the two victims were sending emails back and forth to each other and had attended the same high school,” Kwangsoo answered.

“So was it a romantic relationship between the two?” Seung Heon asked.

“No, they had a hoobae-sunbae relationship. They’ve kept in touch since they’ve graduated from high school. The emails and their high school are the only things that connect the two before they were murdered.”

“We know that they just recently attended the 60th anniversary of the high school before they were killed,” Team leader Bae stepped in, “We figured that we needed to talk to the school but they refused to let us interview their students.”

“Why would be need to interview the students? They weren’t even there when our victims were at high school.”

“The third year students were in charge of planning and preparing the event, they would have noticed something.”

I looked over at the data analysts, Lee Jong Hyun and Kim Jae Kyung. Their chins rested on their palms and despondently nodded along with anything that Kwangsoo or team leader Bae said.

“So… has there been any analysis done on the emails?” Min Woo asked.

Lee Jong Hyun’s eyebrows knitted together, “I analysed the emails and they had nothing abnormal. No viruses, no steganography was found in any of the files in the emails either. So that’s when Jenny and Seung Heon come in.”

“Me?” I pointed to myself.

I looked at Kwangsoo and his widen eyes and gaping mouth gave everything away. I crossed my arms and shook my head.

“No, no, no. You are not making me go undercover at that high school.”

“You two are the only ones that are either young enough or athletic enough to do it. I mean, that was one of the reasons why unit A had to give it to us.”

“Did the director tell them to give this case to us?”

“She does believe that our ‘street smarter’ unit will be able to solve the case more.”

I pushed my chair back, I didn’t want to look like a jerk and not accept this case but being undercover means that I can’t hang out with Kris or Alpha or my friends. I don’t understand how emails were enough to hand this case over to us and why we couldn’t have other methods besides going undercover.

But I can’t think like that I made a promise to get all the bad guys, no matter what. I think Kris and the others will understand, I am trying to find a murderer and prevent others from dying.

I looked over at Seung Heon and he smiled reassuringly. I inhaled deeply and exhaled.

Crossing my arms and frowning, I warned, “You guys better have a good back story for me. No, funny business with the names either.”

~~~~~End of your POV~~~~~