Fifa Fever.

Don't Lie to Me

I chucked the creep’s phone onto the table, “Here’s your phone.”

“You took your time, detective.”

I patted Seung Heon’s back, “You got this.”

I glared at the creep before backing towards the door.

“You’re not staying to observe?”

“I don’t want to be in the cross fire between two gamers,” I claimed before walking out.

After backing out of the interrogation room, I closed the door and pulled out my phone. I watched the screen as it moved and one of the applications opened up on its own.

“Fifa World Cup 2018? Seung Heon oppa isn’t really into that kind of soccer but I guess that will have to do.”

Kang Jun Hyun won’t mind if I mess with his game play… I hope. He can’t just expect to play off with a newbie and not have a handicap.

-------Flash back-------

 I went into the evidence room and signed out Kang Jun Hyun’s phone.

“Excuse me, can I borrow your computer?” I asked the officer.

“You don’t even have to ask! Here, take it!”

He eagerly offered me his seat and I politely thanked him.

“Excuse me, I’m really unsure on what the protocol is for signing out evidence from the locker room. Can you please check to make sure if I did it all right, by the book? I don’t want to be sent home for a simple mistake.”

“Sure! I will go check the handbook for you. I’ll be back soon.”

“Thank you.”

As soon as the officer left, I quickly plugged in my USB and opened one of my hacking files. I know what you’re thinking, why the heck does a detective have so many hacking soft wares? Well… going by the book doesn’t always catch the serial killer, it takes too long. Waiting for autopsy report and lab reports to come back take weeks and “ain’t nobody got time for that”.

While waiting for software to do its work, I removed the back cover of Kang Jun Hyun’s phone and took out the phone sim.

“SK Telecom… the company where our second victim worked.”

Very quickly, and worryingly, I hacked into the company’s network database and searched for his sim’s serial number. Duplicating that sim number onto my phone, I slipped his sim back into his phone and put on the cover. I closed the hacking file and opened the a new software I made, which I like to call “obliviate” as a homage to all the Harry Potter fans out there. This software has been created to wipe out a majority (because nothing can ever be untraceable) of the traces that the computer has ever been hacked.

“Detective, I have checked and you are cleared. You followed all the right steps. You can stay in Korea now.”

I stood in front of the computer, reaching for the USB behind me.

“Thank you.”

“Um… detective… I was just wondering, since you have only been in Korea for a few months… I could always show you around.”

I subtly showed my couple ring as I picked up the phone with my left hand and pulled out the USB with my right hand.

“Sorry, I’m really busy.”

-------End of flash back-------

~~~~~End of your POV~~~~~

“What a shame… Kang Jun Hyun’s goalie just missed the ball…” you mocked from the observer’s room.

“Wow, you are really bad at this,” Seung Heon laughed.

“I DON’T UNDERSTAND! I REACHED went for the right!”

“I don’t want to be cocky but I am nailing this right now,” you celebrated, “This confession will come quicker than the 2022 Fifa World Cup in Australia.

“I can’t believe the score is 5-0.”

The suspect’s hand clamped up as he moved his dishevelled fringe out of the way. His cocky nature that was so prominent before was no where to be seen, replaced by a more distressed persona.

“You agreed to it, one goal for three hundred characters.”

The suspect placed his phone onto the table and began writing. Seung Heon turned around and grinned, putting both thumbs up. Even though you knew that he couldn’t see you, you put your thumbs up anyways. Seung Heon seemed so happy.

“Since you these three hundred characters will finish off the confession, I guess you won’t have a chance to redeem yourself.”

The suspect slammed the pen down and spun the paper around, pushing it towards Seung Heon.

“Take it before I rip it.”

Seung Heon picked up the piece of paper and scanned through it. He turned to the two way mirror and nodded, indicating that everything was done. He swept the phone off the table and smiled.

“Thank you for participating. We really appreciate it.”

Taking advantage of duplicating Kang Jun Hyun’s phone, you decided to look for more evidence of him being overly obsessed with Han So Ri.

You furrowed your eyebrows, “Why can’t I find anything… Does he even use his phone?”

“Jenny, it turns out he planned out all himself. He stalked Han So Ri for months before planning to kill her. He killed the other two victims because they were in his way and they were also part of the group that submitted cyber evidence into the board. He also confessed that he was the only person involved in the murders.”

“That’s great, now we have one more thing to do.”

“What?”

I picked up the office phone and called for Kim Soo Ro.

-------Phone Call------

Kim Soo Ro: Team leader of unit A cybercrime.
You: Hello, team leader, I think I just cracked your suspect.

*you hold the phone towards the speaker and pressed the button, allowing Kang Jun Hyun’s screams to be heard*

Kim Soo Ro: You-
You: No, not me. My partner, detective Baek did it. He was the only one in the interrogation room.
Kim Soo Ro: You-
You: Have a good day, team leader A.

----End of phone call-----

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“You two did the impossible!” Jong Hyun clapped, “Congratulations.”

“We can now rub it in unit A’s faces!” Team leader Bae celebrated, “I’d like to see Kim Soo Ro say something about your nationality now.”

“Let’s all go out for a celebratory tinner tonight! My treat.”

“SWEET! FREE FOOD!” Kwangsoo cheered as he high-fived you, “Hyung, do you mind if I bring my fiancée?”

“Sure, everyone can bring a plus one! But they must fill out all the paperwork and finalise the evidence to submit to the prosecution.”

“Awww…”

Everyone disbanded, leaving you and Seung Heon.

“I guess the good part about being detective is that we don’t have to do the paperwork.”

You laughed, “You got that right. Um… I’ll be right back. I have to make a phone call.”

“Sure, I’ll leave you to it.”

You went over to your desk and sat down.

----------Phone call----------

Kris: Hey, what’s up?
You: Tonight, my workplace is having dinner. Everyone is bringing a plus one.
Kris: I am really busy. I won’t be able to make it.
You: But you’re not going to China for another three days.
Kris: I know, but there’s nothing I can do.
You: What are you doing now?
Kris: Resting. Choreography is quite difficult.
You: Okay… Have a good rest. Call me when you’re free.
Kris: Okay. I love you.
You: I love you, too.

---------End of phone call----------

You knitted your eyebrows together.

Seung Heon pushed against his table and his chair sped towards you.

“Whoa, whoa! This isn’t a race track,” you chuckled.

“I know, my bad. I pushed too hard. Wanna go get some lunch?”

You obediently nodded, “It will be like a pre-celebration for tonight. Plus, I need to congratulate you on beating Kang Jun Hyun in the 2018 FIFA World Cup.”

You stood up and picked up your bag.

Seung Heon looked at you suspiciously, “I know it was you.”

“What did I do?” you put on a mischievous smile.

“You know what you did. You sabotaged Kang Jun Hyun’s game.”

Pretending to be shocked and offended, you gasped and covered your mouth, “I did not.”

“You did your little hacking thing. I’m surprised Kang Jun Hyun didn’t pick up on it. It was so obvious you were messing with him.”

You puffed up your cheeks and put your hands up, “You caught me. I confess to everything.”

Seung Heon beamed at you, “Come on, I will treat you to lunch for your great effort.”