If Kwangsoo Wrote a Drama...

Don't Lie to Me

QUICK MESSAGE! : I am currently overseas so I will not be updating regularly. Sorry. Have a Happy New Year!

 

~~~~~Your POV~~~~~

After taking passport and ‘family’ photos with Seung Heon, I headed to the conference room where Kwangsoo has already set up the presentation.

“Wow, you really prepared a lot didn’t you?”

Kwangsoo jumped up from his seat, “The two main characters in our drama is here! We can get started now.”

He displayed the first slide, nicely titled: Moon Sibling’s backstory. A tragic yet inspiring story by Han Kwangsoo. I found myself chuckling at how cute this man in his thirties is.

He clicked te next slide.

“Okay, so I have named both of your as the Moon Siblings. The brother named Jae Hyun and the sister named Jae Mi. You guys are half siblings. Same father but different mothers. In the paperwork in front of you, I have basic information on you both.”

I picked up the folder in front of me and flicked it open.

Moon Jae Hyun played by Baek Seung Heon

- D/O/B: 23.06.01
- Korean father & mother
- Mother died at childbirth, raised by Jae Mi’s mother.
- Third year student

Moon Jae Mi played by Jenny Nguyen

- D/O/B: 15.12.02
- Korean father & Vietnamese mother
- Mother died in 2018; reason to move to new school.
- Second year student

Father died in 2014 – lung cancer.

Kwangsoo has really outdone himself. He is really a drama fanatic.

“Hyung, isn’t this a bit… dramatic?” Seung Heon asked.

“Look, it was the only way I can explain why you two don’t live with parents and why Jenny looks nothing like a Korean. Plus, haven’t you two always wanted to be in a drama?”

Seung Heon innocently shook his head, “No… not really.”

So I guess this is real. I am really going to a Korean high school. I will be experiencing something that all international fangirls want. Maybe I’ll give the bad- kingka a good lesson and he’ll fall in love with me only to find out that I don’t love him and the kid grows up as a good person, helping people and it is only then that he finds someone to replace me.

I raised my hand, “So what exactly are we going to be doing besides reliving the horrible days of doing homework?”

“You two will be able to befriend the students and ask them questions. Nothing questionable about curious teenagers.”

“That’s reasonable,” I nodded.

“And that means that you, Jenny, will stay clear from causing trouble. Don’t be too much of a hero. Hack their computers or somethi-”

Team leader Bae cleared his throat and Kwangsoo paused.

“Not that you should hack their computers. I mean – just be good okay? I don’t want us to look bad in front of unit A. We must solve this case first! Fighting!”

“That being said, the main thing you should find out is what happened while planning for the school’s 60th anniversary and what happened during the event as well. Interview as many students as possible.”

“This is so 21 Jump Street…” I mumbled.

“21 what?” Seung Heon asked.

“Two cops going under cover in schools,” I summarised.

“You two should pack your things and bring them here and then go looking for a small house or apartment. We want to make this legitimate as possible.”

“I found something interesting!” our data analyst, Lee Jong Hyun, shouted out as he rushed into the room.

“What did you find?”

Jong Hyun took over the computer and a duplicate of Jong Hyun’s computer replaced the presentation on the screen.

“I found something interesting. Both victims received an email invitation to a gaming website, advertising games from 2012.”

The screen displayed the email advertising to play some online flash games. A majority of them were horror games. Why would a fashion designer open an email about gaming? I can understand why the IT consultant would but then again, whose knows? Maybe our first victim was the dream girl; pretty, fashionable and loves games.

“But I know what you’re thinking, it’s spam right?” Jong Hyun asked.

Everyone nodded.

“At first I thought everyone received an email invitation as well by this game company until I got an email from them myself. Mine however, had invitations for very mediocre games like Cooking Mama and Sims. Nothing horror-themed. After asking the company, they stated that they do not send out invitations for horror or thriller games.”

“So you’re suggesting the email was a threat?”

Jong Hyun shrugged, “I don’t think our victims knew that it was a threat. They basically just tagged it as spam. I thought that maybe these emails were automated and the company confirmed that these emails were.”

“If the killer really did send this to the victims, we couldn’t tell who they were because the emails were sent with one email address,” team leader Bae stressed, “Our best bet right now is to interview those students. They have to know something. Why else would the school not let us interview them?”

Jong Hyun’s shoulders slumped forward and he despondently left the room. I felt really sorry for him. It’s was probably the first time in a while that unit B has gotten a chance to show off in front of unit A, so for it to get turned down like that… Must be like a punch to the ego.

Lets just say that these emails were deliberately sent to the victims then it’s obvious that those specific emails sent to the victims were not automated and so the killer must have sent them personally. If that were the case… the time stamp would be quite irregular to the automated ones. Typing in emails would have taken longer. It doesn’t matter which email address sent it or the IP address. The time is more important.

I scrambled my way out of conference, “I’m going to talk to Jong Hyun-sshi for a bit. I think he might be onto something.”

“Jong Hyun-sshi! Wait up. I think you’re onto something.”

The other data analyst, Jae Kyung, crossed her arms, “Didn’t you just see him get turned down by team leader Bae?”

“Jenny, I know you’re new so you think every idea works but it doesn’t. Cybercrime is difficult like that,” Jong Hyun explained.

I shook my head, “I was data analyst in Australia too. We didn’t have that much cyber crime but it doesn’t mean that analysing data was any easier. But that is not the reason why I ran after you.”

Jong Hyun put his hands on his waists and his inner eyebrows curved upwards.

“What time were the emails sent?” I asked.

“Both were sent at around 3AM.”

“From general knowledge, the owners of the site don’t stay up until 3AM to monitor the ads? My guess is that someone hacked into the site to send the email and judging by the extremely early hours, the person is working odd jobs. I originally thought that the IP address wouldn’t be important, but if you can, try and track it.”

Jong Hyun’s lips curved upwards, “That’s fantastic! I’ll get to it right away. Thanks Jenny!”

“Couldn’t have done it without you Jong Hyun-sshi.”

Jong Hyun laughed, “We’re all like family here, call me oppa. You call every other guy oppa but me. I just have… that face.”

Jae Kyung frowned, “Just last week you refused to call me noona.”

“You and I are different,” Jong Hyun answered frankly, “Thanks Jenny, you’re the best.”

“Unni, maybe he doesn’t want to call you noona because you look more like a dongsaeng.” I tried to do some damage control.

Jae Kyung smiled sarcastically, “I like younger men though.”

~~~~~End of your POV~~~~~

~~~~~~~~Three days later~~~~~~~~

You stood outside the school gates and sighed, “I have never once thought that I would ever have to go back to high school. I thought my days of studying were over…”

Seung Heon casually put his arms around your shoulders, “Let’s go Jae Mi. High school is waiting for us!”

Seung Heon led you to the office and you filled out more paperwork for the school.

“It’s time to get to class now. Your home room teachers will lead you to your class,” said the principal.

“Moon Jae Hyun, your home room teacher is Mr Lee, he’s also your maths teacher and Moon Jae Mi, your home room teacher is Mr Georgalis, he’s your English teacher.”

Mr Georgalis was a Caucasian man in his mid 30s. With a head full of auburn hair, styled nicely to match his fashionable clothing. His smooth shaven face reinforced the fact that he looked after himself well.

“It’s very nice to meet you, Jen – Jae… Mi. Sorry, I have difficultly pronouncing J-E and J-A-E.”

Not noticing his mistake, you laughed it off, “It’s okay, sir.”

You followed behind Mr Georgalis, unlike the constant pace of his steps; yours were off beat and rather uncoordinated.

“So Moon Jae Mi, what brings you to this school?”

“I just moved into the area?”

Your teacher laughed, “I guess that’s the most logical answer. So Moon Jae Mi, are you really Korean?”

“Eh? Umm… yeah. Well… technically half,” you answered cautiously.

Mr Georgalis rubbed his chin, “No wonder, you don’t look Korean at all. I originally thought you were Vietnamese.”

You laughed sheepishly, “I am… half Vietnamese.”

“Ah. Then that explains almost everything.”

You raised your eyebrows and waddled quickly to catch up to Mr Georgalis.

“The thing is, we’re half siblings. Same father, different mothers.”

Mr Georgalis stopped in his tracks and spun around on his heel to face you, “It’s great progress to see that you are already opening up to me. Now, if you follow me, I will introduce you to your classmates for the whole year.”

You shook your arms and legs, and tapped your cheeks before following Mr Georgalis into class.

“Seriously Jenny, why are you so nervous, they’re only 17-18 years old,” you whispered.

“Everyone, this is our new student, Moon Jae Mi.”

You bowed to the class, “Anneonghaseyo, my name is Moon Jae Mi. Let’s all be friends.”

“Moon? Is she Korean?” a student whispered.

You pursed your lips together as you waited for Mr Georgalis to assign your seat.

“Jae Mi, you can go sit next to Jeong Guk at the back.”

Gripping onto the straps of your bag, you walked towards your seat and sat down next to your seat partner.