A Big Coward

Did You Hear That Bang?

Jiwoo POV

I sat up.  The room was dark and the house was quiet.  I sighed.  The night had turned great as we ate dinner together and our mom and Aunty Pyo called.  They were told white lies about dance lessons.  The rest of us were silently shaking holding back because they were on speaker phone.  Everyone had been sad when they left.  They'd wanted to take Jihoon and Jiho with them, but Jihoon had insisted on staying behind.  So, Jiho had insisted upon keeping a watch on him.  The two of them occupied the living room.  

Something had woken me up but I couldn't figure out what it was.  I brushed my hair away from my face.  Pulling it back with a hair tie, I felt a little less hot and sticky with the cool air on my neck.  I tiptoed out into the hallway.  No one stirred.  

I flicked on the small light over the sink.  I poured myself a glass of water.  The cold calmed me down.  I still didn't know exactly what was wrong.   I set down the empty glass.  I could see my brother and Jihoon sleeping.  Jiho sleeping on the floor by the couch so he'd know if Jihoon got up in the middle of the night.  I saw something sitting on the coffee table.  How had it gotten there?  I walked over and picked it up.  It was Yu's phone and a note.  

    I'm going on a trip.  I will be back in ten days.  Don't look for me.  I've left my phone behind because I want to be alone.  Love all of you, Yujin.  P.S. Tell Bae I love him more than he could possibly know.  I just need to find myself again.

I stared at it. She'd just left?  How could she leave without saying goodbye?  I sank into the nearest surface.  I didn't know what to think.  She'd gone alone.  She didn't even want Youngbae with her?  Jihoon would be crushed.  We'd all been here because of her.  Because we cared about her, but she hadn't understood any of it.  The two of them were sleeping soundly.  I bet Youngbae was too; all alone in her room.  

I curled up into a ball not knowing what to do.  I felt myself trying to hold back tears.  So much had happened yesterday and I didn't want to be without my best friend.  I couldn't even call her.  She'd made that clear.  She was gone and I'd have to tough it out.  I couldn't remember being apart from her for more than a few days.  Ten whole days she would be gone.  I didn't know what to do.  She'd made all these promises about starting a label and finding me a voice coach.  Now, she left and I couldn't blame her after Yunho appeared, but she hadn't bothered to say goodbye.  Did she think that I wouldn't understand?  I hugged my knees to my chest.  

A pair of hands gently touched my leg.  I surfaced from burying my head in my arms.  Jihoon was staring at me.  He looked concerned.  I handed him the note.  I had been holding it the whole time. I didn't even notice I'd been gripping it so hard.  He took it and read it carefully twice.  He set it back on the table.  He ran his fingers through his hair.  He turned back to inspect my face.  I didn't wait and wrapped my arms around him.  He managed to pick me up and carried me back to my room.  He lay down next to me.  

"Jihoon, she's coming back," I said.  Not sure if I was trying to convince him or myself.  He smiled weakly at me.  I kissed him on the cheek.  His hands were warm and reassuring.  I stared into his eyes. They were warm and I could see the love there but also the pain.  He must be worried about Yujin but he bothered to comfort me.  

"I'm sorry," I said.  He sighed reaching up to my cheek.  

"For what?" He asked.  

"For making you take care of me," I said.  He shook his head.  

"I know you are worried about her too," I said.  

"Jiwoo, I want to take care of you," he said.  I smiled feeling shy but immensely happy.  

"Jihoon, I want to take care of you," I said.  He smiled before he kissed me.  The two of us fell asleep holding onto each other.  

 Taeyang POV

I woke up feeling a chill.  My leg was exposed to the air.  I hoped that I hadn't kicked Yujin.  I reached out for her.  I didn't feel anything.  I sat up looking around the room.  She wasn't here.  Maybe she'd gone to get breakfast.  I slipped on some clothes feeling the chill recede.  I shuffled out to the living room.  Only Zico was there asleep on the floor.  I spotted Yujin's phone.  I frowned.  She'd gone out without her phone?  There was a piece of rumpled paper next to it.  I picked it up.  She'd left a note.  

I paled.  She had left.   In the middle of the night, she had left.  I slumped into the nearest chair feeling defeated.  Why did she leave?  I couldn't believe she'd left without me.  She said she loved me.  Why had she left?  Her words claimed that she loved me, but she'd still left.  I didn't know where she had gone.  I wanted to get in my car and drive around calling her name.  I knew that it was useless.  I was alone after packing my bags and showing up here worried sick.  She'd been hurt by that monster again.  I wanted to hunt him down and tear him limb from limb.  He'd made her unable to stay by my side.  I wanted to see him suffer.  The note fell from my hand.  

I felt a big black hole form in my chest.  Yujin had placed it there by shutting me out.  I didn't know if I could wait here for her for ten days.  I sat there with no will to move.  

Zico POV

I woke up.  The sun streamed through the window.  I turned to check the time. It was about five thirty am.  We were up higher so the sun hit us sooner.  I reached up to prod the maknae.  He should make me coffee.  Only he wasn't there.  I bolted to my feet.  He'd managed to sneak off.   I took a breath.  He was with my noona.  I just knew it before I could go drag him out of her room I noticed him. 

Youngbae was slumped in a chair. He looked half awake.  His eyes glazed over.  Why was he here?  He was alone in the living room.  Maybe Yujin had kicked him out of bed?  I sighed.  Best take care of this at the same time.  I waved my hand in front of his face but he didn't react.  I tried prodding his foot. He didn't make a sound. I reached my finger out to touch his cheek.

"Don't touch me.  I'll break your arm," he growled.  I stared at him not sure what had him so angry.  I saw a piece of paper by his foot.  I carefully reached around him to pick it up.  Yujin had left then.  I didn't blame her after Yunho had showed up last night.  I wouldn't feel safe in my own home either.  He was a psychopath for sure.  Wanting to torture her to feel something.  He probably thought she fancied him.  I sighed.  

Maybe I should wake them up to tell them.  I groaned.  My anger had subsided.  Yujin had taken away my righteous attack on the maknae.  He was now going to get a much less intense talking to for being in bed with my noona.  Why was life so unfair?

Jiwoo POV

Jiho barged into my room.  He stopped at the sight of me brushing my hair in my bathroom.  Jihoon was asleep clutching a pillow.  

"Leave him," I warned. He made a strange noise as he stood there.  He obviously was mad that the two of us had slept in the same bed.  

"Did you see the note?" I asked softly.  He nodded seeming to deflate.  I sighed.  I didn't know if any of us felt good about Yu leaving.  

"Why don't you go make the coffee?" I suggested.  He nodded.

"Youngbae isn't taking it well.  He's in the living room.  I don't think he's moved since he read it," he said.  I sighed.  The poor man probably felt hurt at being abandoned.  Yu had another urge and forgotten that she could hurt people.  She sometimes thought that we didn't miss her.  As if anyone could fill her place.  I wondered why she had trouble realizing how much we loved her.  I just hoped she wasn't really afraid of Yunho coming after her.  I know my father had put out the word on him.  They wouldn't contact the police but I was certain that Yu was going to get a larger entourage when she returned.  Youngbae would probably be the first to agree to her having a bodyguard.  

I didn't think she'd like it, but we'd all feel better knowing she was safe.  She couldn't be on guard all hours of the day.  She had learned to rely on others but she'd left again.  I didn't know how to help her this time.  She wasn't ready to talk and I hoped that maybe she'd call.  I knew there was one person who was already suffering with her absence.

I glanced at Jihoon.  I wanted to kiss him, but I knew he'd wake up.  He deserved more sleep.  I knew he'd been stressed out fighting with Yu and worrying about her all at the same time.  

Youngbae didn't look my way when I walked into the living room. He probably knew I was there as I sat on the coffee table in front of him.

"Youngbae, Yujin is coming back.  I know she can't stay away from you.  She loves you.  I just think she was more rattled by Yunho then she wanted to admit," I said.  He closed his eyes rubbing his temples.

"She didn't say anything. She snuck out in the middle of the night as if I didn't matter.  She doesn't trust me," he said.  I sighed heavily.  Apparently, that was going to be happening a lot this next week.  

"She did that because she didn't want to hurt you.  She thought that you would try to stop her.  I think she's just trying to figure out what she wants.  She has never been in a real relationship with someone that loves her as much as you do.  I think she's afraid to lose her independence," I said hoping that he might accept my words.  I hoped that they were true.  I didn't want him to leave her over this.  I knew he was upset.  I just didn't know if it was too much for him to accept.  

"I'm going to make you breakfast.  You should call her and leave her a message. She might check her voicemail," I suggested.  He looked at me finally.  I saw a determination appear.  I smiled.  

I handed him my phone.  

"It's number one," I said.  He nodded already dialing.  

Jiho was standing next to the coffee pot watching it steadily drip.  I hugged him.

"I'm glad you're here," I told him.  He feigned annoyance.

"Ugh, noona," he whined.  I smiled.

"You know you can't get rid of me even if you tried," I told him.  He grinned.

"I know.  You're so clingy," he complained.  I rolled my eyes.  

"Only because my dongsaeng is so adorable," I said pinching his cheeks. He shrugged me off, but I knew he was pleased.  I set about to make breakfast.  Hopefully, I could boost all of our spirits with warm carbs.  

Taeyang POV

I dialed the number.  It went straight to voicemail.  The greeting was bright and cheerful. I felt disappointed hearing her voice but not knowing where she was.  

"Yujin.  I love you.  I don't know what's wrong, but I want you to know I love you no matter what.  Please call me back," I said.  

I sat there not knowing what else to do with myself.  Zico brought me coffee.  I wasn't sure I wanted to be awake, but I didn't know what else to do so I took it.  The rest of the morning was a blur.  Jiwoo brought me a plate full of food.  I ate it not feeling hungry, but the black hole almost felt filled as I ate.  

Jiwoo brought me my phone.  She plugged it in too.

"In case you want to call her some more," she said.  I took it silently.  I didn't want to be a burden, but I felt cold.  I saw that there were messages from GD, but I didn't feel like talking to him.  He wouldn't understand what I was going through.  I wanted to be alone.  I texted my manager and told him I was sick.  That the doctor had told me to rest for a few days.  I knew he would follow up, but I didn't want to be bothered for now.  

Jiwoo POV

I retrieved my phone from Youngbae.  Jiho and I had eaten waffles without much fuss.  He'd been somber this morning.  Only asking a few questions.

"Do you love him?" He wanted to know.  

"I do," I had told him.  The words made me feel better.  It was as if I could finally say it.  I thought Yujin was repressed apparently I was made of concrete.  After hearing that he seemed satisfied.  He didn't approve necessarily but he didn't say anything bad about Jihoon.  

"You know, we can't stay,” Jiho said as I stared at my phone.  I knew I had to call Uncle Pyo.  I sighed. 

"I know, just let him sleep a little more," I pleaded.  Jiho acquiesced plopping onto the sofa.  He would wait patiently.  

"Hi Uncle. I hope I didn't wake you," I said. 

"Jiwoo, what is it?" He asked knowing Yu was not in the best condition.

"Yu, she's gone.  She left while we were sleeping.  She left a note.  She's going to be gone for 10 days," I told him.  

"She left a note?" He wanted to confirm.

"Yes, she doesn't want to be bothered," I said.  

"I understand.  I'll find her," he said.  

"Don't let her know.  I think she will come back once she starts to miss us.  Youngbae already started leaving messages for her," I said not wanting her to feel attacked.  

"Alright, I'm certain my staff will locate her.  I know my daughter.  She'll return once she figures out what she wants to do," he said. 

"Thank you Uncle," I said before hanging up.  Youngbae seemed more alert but he didn't seem motivated to do anything.  The poor man was hurting and I didn't think I could do anything to help him.  I hoped Yu would call him back or maybe s would distract him with work.  He needed to stop thinking about her.  

Yujin POV

I had finally arrived in New York....and it wasn't filling me with the joy it normally would of. I guess being here alone changes the whole...'vibe' of a place.
I dragged my cases into the hotels foyer and headed to the receptionist. Even though my father owned the hotel and my cousin managed it, there were equal amounts of Korean and western employees here...so I would probably end up using English a lot...Well it would do my good to practice it I guess.
I explained who I was to the pretty receptionist and showed her my ID and pent-house key, she nodded and called a guy over to come take my bags. I gave a winning, professional smile and headed up to my room with the bell-boy who was staring at me...well pretending he wasn't but I could see him staring in the elevators gold surfaces....cute, he was only a child of probably 18, much too young for my tastes.

We reached the pent-house and I unlocked the door allowing the boy to enter before me and place down my bags. I rifled around in my bags and handed him $20 for his efforts....I hoped that was enough as he left me alone to sort out my clothes and my thoughts.
Everything seemed to be running at a faster speed around me while I was still in the same spot...I felt so alone and confused....why the hell was I here?

Kicking my luggage I decided to unpack later, first I needed a shower, then some sleep. It was the evening here and I was feeling overwhelmingly tired after my flight.
I grabbed a towel and headed into the en suite.....I wish I felt right.

Ten minutes later I was laying on the queen sized bed swaddled in towels, my thoughts were racing and I couldn't shut them off.
I had thought I was immovable, that I was hard like stone...but I was as frail as dried out twigs. One day I would take over my father’s empire and how could I take that on knowing how much I had relied on people recently....how much I hungered and needed Youngbae's touch. He affected me so deeply and I could feel my independence and strength falling away as I became nothing but his woman....god would I have to cook? My father wanted me married, both parents wanted children....yet they thought Jihoon would be the one to give them their first....my baby brother was no dating my best friend I knew all of my life.
What if I was unsuitable for CEO now? What if being with him made me too...emotional? Too womanly?
What if my dad told me that being a wife was more important than my future and gave the job to Jihoon after all....
Everything was a 'what if'....I knew nothing for sure...not even if Youngbae loved me the same way I love him back....after everything he had witnessed because of me, my family...why would he stay? What could he possibly love about me?

I rolled onto my side and closed my eyes; I hoped to get a little nap in before I ordered food from the room service.

P.O POV

Another day spun around, no word of noona....it all seemed pointless without her. What if she was suffering alone?
I had to leave Jiwoo and I was worried about her....even though Youngbae was not ready to move yet and was still with her.
I actually felt bad for him....as much I loathed to admit it.
The guy was a wreck.....I had wondered if he had been toying with noona's emotions...turns out he was madly in love with her as much as she loved him....or I loved Jiwoo.
I couldn't help but notice the different kind of relationship they had to Jiwoo and I....ours was just like a happier, more comfortable, touchy-feely version of our friendship.
Yujin and Youngbae were like drugs to each other....and right now the dude was going cold turkey.
Maybe I could distract him someway...get him to do something to take his mind off noona for a while.

I was torn between being mad at her and understanding her reasons for leaving......mad because she had just left us like we had meant so little, because Jiwoo was hurting inside that noona was gone without her, because I couldn't say goodbye and if something happened to her then I never would have the chance to tell her I love her and have faith in her taking our fathers business over.....
But the shock of Yunho hurting her and then finding her must of driven her to the edge....noona was strong, she never asked anyone for help or comfort. She could beat up any guy and had never been affected deeply be relationships ending....but Yunho had taken away a part of her....I kind of understood it....but I was not in her position. No woman had assaulted me....and only Jiwoo had stolen my heart, but I allowed and enjoyed that.

I sighed and looked around the dance studio, Jiho was working everyone’s off....guess it was punishment for the war zone they created when he left. They were so exhausted they had collapsed on the floor in a heap, about water and muscle aches.
I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket and fumbled for it, I felt nervous as I saw it was my father calling me....
"Father?" I answered quickly, my mind focused on one thing.
"Jihoon, are you alright, able to speak?" I nodded forgetting he couldn't see me.
"Yes I can speak" I waved at Zico getting his attention and he jogged over and slumped next to me as I put the phone on loud speaker.
"Good, I found out where your sister is..." he paused and we heard paper being shuffled.
"Where?" I asked nervously, Zico seemed thoughtful and I wondered what his thoughts were on this.
"New York" He replied bluntly and I didn't know whether to be relieved or annoyed I hadn't seen it coming.
"How do you know?"
"Your cousin Jieun told me the Penthouse was occupied....only one person could be there." He sighed and I could imagine him frowning as he smoked a cigar.
"So we can go get her!?" I asked hopefully.
"NO! No....just leave her. I have told Jieun to talk to her....your cousin is the split of Yujin. She will give her guidance. Will you inform Jiwoo of the news....perhaps not Youngbae...he strikes me as someone that would drop everything for her." I grimaced, I couldn't deny that he likely would just go get her and that would make her flee further away, in distance and with her emotions.
"Okay, thanks father."
Okay, you and Jiho take care." He hung up and I stared at the phone, then Zico who seemed baffled. How did my father know Zico was there?

"Do you want to tell Jiwoo...." I calmly handed my phone to Zico, he might hit me if did it before him. He gave me a look and took my phone with a huffy look before dialing Jiwoo's number.
I really wish I could go get noona....it was surprising how much I missed her.

TOP POV

I was going out of my mind, everyone was still emo....I needed to get Youngbae back, least he could talk some sense into Jiyong.
I was stood in the lift up to Yujin's and Jiwoo's pent-house apartment, feeling irritable. Yujin should come visit Jiyong too...perhaps he needed 'retail therapy' or something.

I strode to the door and gave it a sound knocking, I hoped Yujin might answer as it would be nice to see her face once again, but I was little disappointed to see Jiwoo open it slowly, she peered around the door and her face was neutral. Hmm had I come at a bad time?
"Seunghyun?" She seemed surprised and I gave a nod before pushing through the door.
"Why don't you come in" She snorted sarcastically and I ignored her.
"I need Bae to come back to the dorms; it's getting too much....thanks to a certain someone breaking up with maknae" I glared at her; this was her fault after all.
"Whatever" She sighed and sat down on the couch in a huff, I frowned unsure why she was not going off to get Youngbae.
"Well, where is he? Can he not be separated from Yujin now or something?" I sneered before noticing the look of sadness on Jiwoo's face.
"What?" I asked feeling annoyed at why she was acting mopey.
"She's gone...." Her whisper confused me at first...gone? Gone shopping, gone out? I saw Jiwoo's eyes glisten and felt my heart stop....GONE!
"Yujin...is...gone?!" I asked feeling a pain in my chest. Jiwoo nodded and I saw a tear slip down her face....no this wasn't right.
"But how? She was so young, so vibrant....so y and full of life!" I whined as I slumped onto the floor in misery "Why do the beautiful ones die first!" I cried out as I raised my fist heavenward.

"What. The. . Did you just say?" I lowered my fist and turned to see Youngbae looking pissed....mega pissed.
"I was mourning the loss of Yujin...what are you so heartless?" I spat at him and he took a step towards me looking menacing.
"She isn't dead Seunghyun!" Jiwoo exclaimed loudly and I felt bemused....she wasn't dead? They why was she crying? "She just went away without saying anything...."
Ahh....I see.
I coughed and hurried to stand up, Okay, she wasn't dead and I just called Youngbae's lover y in front of him....
"You know what....I think I can handle things back at the dorm, you stay here and wait for Yujin to come back, I am sure she will here before you know it!" I tried to give a hearty smile as I slowly backed away from the mini-hulk....god he looked like crap right now...was he sleeping and eating?
"Well ugh, let me know how things turn out won't you....thank you for your time." I didn't bow for fear of taking my eyes off Youngbae who was still giving me evils.
I managed to back away through the front door, and pulled it shut quickly before sprinting down the stairs. Screw the lift, my life was worth more than a 2 minute wait and possible beating from an angry and upset crazed whack-job.

Yujin POV

"Yu....YUJIN! Wake the hell up!" I groaned as the voice called out to me and suddenly I was shaking, was there an earthquake! I bolted upright and stared around in panic before my eyes landed on the woman in front of me...she was grinning at me like a mad-woman.
"UNNIE!" I screeched before encasing her in a massive hug, I silently thanked the fates for waking me up in the early hours so I could change into PJ's.
"Hey Miss future CEO!" She rubbed my head and pushed me away.
"How did you know I was here?" I was happy to see my cousin Jieun, she looked amazing.
"I am the manager of this hotel you know, I know everything!" she shook her short dark hair and I gazed at her in admiration.
"You look gorgeous, having children suits you!" I cooed at her and she smiled smugly.
"I know...but the best part is going home to a husband like Mike" She sighed dreamily and I laughed. Jieun was 31 and had married Mike who was American a few years ago. Soon after she had two children and was still working as the manager of this hotel. She was my idol; I looked up to her for her work ethic.

"So what brings you here, alone....not that I am complaining!" She slid next to me on the bed and lay next to me so I lay back on the pillows and sighed.
"That bad huh?"
I nodded and stared at the ceiling for a minute.
"Tell me." She urged
"It will take a long time..."
"I have all the time in the world for my cousin!" She smiled and squeezed my hand....I didn't know where to start....so I tried the beginning.....

......."Jesus...." she sighed heavily "That is some crap you and Jiwoo went through recently.......I mean I don't know what to say. I feel awful, yet I am super freaking jealous you met Choi Seunghyun....that guy is a god." I groaned, trust Jieun to think about Seunghyun that way, he was her ultimate bias and I wondered if she would give up Mike and the kids for him.
"He is kind of a ert....I am not sure what uality he is" I hoped to persuade her that he was bad news but she seemed oblivious.
"But I wouldn't mind finding out with him" She winked and I pulled a face.
"So your here to get away from it all? Find yourself?" I looked at her again and she had turned serious. Her moods changed like the wind.
"Yeah....I was scared." I wondered how stupid that sounded now.

"When did you turn into a coward?" I felt my temper flare at her words and sat up to look at her as she lay there with her eyes closed.
"Excuse me!?" I snapped, did she not care about what Yunho did to me?
"Yujin, I understand the pain and feelings of ineptitude you feel because you couldn't defend yourself against the attack Yunho instigated. Trust me I do. It's a scary experience and it will never vanish from your memories. But running away makes you a coward...and not because you ran....but because you left those behind that love you and supported you...they were there for you. And you vanished to 'find yourself'. You left Jiwoo alone who has had a hard time herself....and now she is just starting a relationship with Jihoon. She needs you. Jihoon and Zico need you.....and obviously Youngbae is in love with you. You don't see how lucky you are? You’re so focused on yourself that you don't see the hurt people you leave behind. Self-pity never gets anyone anywhere....the Yujin I know would be fighting back, would be strong for everyone who depends on you. You’re a huge character, you’re popular and loved and respected by so many people. Why do you think no one cares or notices when you run away?" She sighed and went silent.

I sat there digesting her words....not many people spoke to me so bluntly and even though I tried to fight against it, I knew she was right.
I often thought people didn't notice because I thought I made myself the type of person you couldn't become attached too.
I had put up a barrier and tried to keep my people at arm's length for fear of being seen as weak....but I was weak. Only strong people can admit when they need help, can show emotions and then control them. My pretense of strength was my ultimate weakness....how ironic.
"When I am with Youngbae....I feel weird. I am not sure of myself, when he touches me or kisses me, I change. If I was angry I become happy. I'm scared of relying on him...or losing who I am and becoming smothered by his affection I lose the ability to be Yujin...or to be a solid CEO. What if my emotions control me while I am working?"
I hung my head; letting my hair fall over my face as I waited for a reply.....I was shocked to hear her chuckle to herself.
"Aish babo....tell you what. You come to dinner tonight with me and the family and I will answer your question? Deal?" I stared at her warily before nodding my head in agreement. She grinned and clapped her hands before rolling off the bed.
"Okay, I need to go do some actual work, I brought you breakfast so eat it, then you go get showered and changed and go shopping. I will make sure one of my bodyguards goes with you, trust me you will need him to carry your bags. I will get you a driver too. I will pick you up here at 7pm, wear something casual....trust me the kids will ruin anything nice." I stared in wonder as she waved and left me alone.....
When she said casual...did she mean jeans and a shirt? Oh my....