Chapter 33

Hired

I arrived at the airport just in time. The gate was about to open. I regretted not asking Yoo Mi to accompany me. It was difficult to move around with a heavy baggage. I was surprised to find a familiar face at the gate.

“Avery!”

Avery turned around and waved at me. I rushed up to her. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m moving to America too! I told you I was planning to get an American citizenship.”

“Oh, yeah.” I faintly remembered her telling me that. I felt bad for snapping at her during that time. At least, I was sure I was not going to be alone in America. I had Avery.

“The gate has opened. I guess we can go in now.”

“Yeah.” I walked towards the gate slowly, what little hope I had in my heart was slowly fading away.

“…Wait!”

It was a familiar voice.

I whirled around immediately. To my disappointment, it was Lee Won. But still ,what was he doing here?

“We had one last check at your dormitory. I think you’ve forgotten to take this with you, Miss Yoo.” An out of breath Lee Won handed me a large brown envelope. I could have sworn I had seen it somewhere before, but I could not put my finger on it.

“Thank you for making your way here to give this to me. It must have been quite the trouble.”

“It’s no problem. I don’t know what it is, but it may be important. I just don’t want you to leave anything behind,” he remarked.

“Hey…” I began.

“Yes?”

“Oh, er…It’s nothing.” I could not bring myself to ask him about Sehun. I thanked him one more time before bidding him farewell and entering the gate. I should have expected it. Sehun would never come to say goodbye. He was not someone who would do that. With a heavy heart, I boarded the plane to Chicago.

Unfortunately, Avery and I were not seating together. I was seated by the window with an empty seat beside me. I looked out the window and admired the pink evening sky, trying to recall the few memories I had of this place. There was not much, I only had Jaehyo, at least until two months ago.

Rumbling sounds could be heard in the background. The plane’s engines had started.

I was dragged to the company’s building to sign the contract. That was the first time I had seen Sehun in person. I had to admit, I did not have the best impression of him. The second time was the situation at the café. He looked confident and smug when he asked me to consider signing the contract. I still thought he was a brat, and with his attitude along with his younger age, I really did not like him. I remembered the third time, we were at EXO’s dormitory, and I had just moved in after signing the contract.

The sign to fasten the seatbelt lit up. The plane was preparing for takeoff.

The first time I saw a different side of him was after Sehun’s press onference. He had told me not to open the door to his dorm, but I did not listen to him. I had to admit he looked handsome even when his hair was damp. It was no wonder he had so many fans. Then, I recalled my first press conference. He had been a little kinder then. For the first time, he showed that he actually looked out for me. It was flattering. The next time he showed a playful side of himself, I remembered clearly. It was not exactly the best day for me – I was egged, but it was a memorable day nonetheless. We somehow agreed to be friends after that. I smiled upon recalling that memory.

The plane started off on the runway.

The next memorable event was when we practiced for the concert in China. The task we were assigned to was unbelievable. The best memory I had of Sehun was definitely the day of the concert itself. For some reason, I did not regret having my first kiss taken away by him. He also surprised me with a kiss on the cheek when he invited me out on a date. My hand instinctively touched my cheek as I recalled his cute gestures.

By now, the plane had started to speed up.

I was forced to go on a blind date with the man called Elton. He had been a total jerk, but what I really remembered was Sehun’s reaction to that date. Maybe it was just me, but I thought Sehun had been jealous and annoyed. Sehun’s mood swings made me confused all the time. After flaring up at me, I remembered him calling me cute when we were at the toy store. He was unbelievable. Finally, our last memory at the Christmas party. It was the first time I had ever cried since I was younger. It was his kind gestures that night that had made me so emotional. It was the night we were separated, but part of it was a great memory nonetheless. Come to think of it, I had been crying much more often since the events that occurred that night.

The engines started roaring. The plane was going to take off any second.

I looked down. The brown envelope Lee Won had given me earlier was still in my hands. Out of curiosity, I decided to open it.

“This is…”

My eyes widened. It was a copy of the modified contract. I absent-mindedly leafed through the stack once again.

1. Both parties must never mention about the contract in public

I guess this condition was broken on the day of the Christmas party.

2. Both parties are not allowed to see anyone

I rolled my eyes and smiled as I recalled Elton once again.

3. The woman's relationship with the EXO members must be kepy strictly professional

4. The man's relationship with the woman's acquaintances must be kept strictly professional

We never had any problems with these two conditions.

5. Both parties are not allowed to love or fall in love with each other

I paused. Sehun was the one who always made me have mixed feelings. He was the only one who could make me feel from angry to upset to confused in a matter of minutes. He was the obnoxious, playful and sweet one who had the worst mood swings. He was the one who drived me crazy all the time. He was the one.

The engines roared one last time and the plane lifted itself off the ground.

Then it hit me. I was in love with Sehun.