Chapter 29

Hired

chapters from here onwards will be a little longer yey


"Let's end this." Sehun said. I kept quiet as he slowly led me back to the party.

Everyone's eyes were on me as we made our way through the crowd and onto the stage. I was not surprised. After all, I was sure I looked like a complete mess. My make-up was ruined because of my tears. I had not bothered to wipe them away. I could not care less about the judgement at that moment. As we moved towards the stage, I caught sight of Mr Kim. Of all the times I had caused trouble for his company, I had never seen him look so disappointed before. Feelings of guilt and sadness overwhelmed me. Before I knew it, we were on the stage and the microphone was in Sehun's hands. The room was oddly quiet. I dreaded what was to come.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Sehun began. I looked down to hide my tear-stained face.

"Thank you for coming to this year's Christmas party. I would like to take this opportunity to deliver an important announcement. Please take a moment to listen to what I have to say."

The crowd murmured among themselves for a minute before it was silent again.

"I am very blessed to be a member of EXO. Through the past few years, I have made so many close friends and I am so happy EXO has so many amazing fans who support us and love us in whatever we do. I am indeed thankful and I love all of you." Sehun squeezed my hand a little before he continued.

"I do not know how this will affect my career, my loved ones and my fans, but I feel that it is important for everyone to know this. Two months ago, my record label made my relationship with Miss Yoo In Hae public. Questions about our relationship were answered both in press conferences and talk shows both Miss Yoo and I participated in. However, I am very sorry to say..." Sehun paused. I knew this was a very difficult situation for him and me. I squeezed his hand in an attempt to calm his nerves. Sehun took a deep breath. 

"I apologize for disappointing all of you. However, the relationship between Miss Yoo and I is only a contract. It is not true. The answers to questions about our relationship are all untrue. I wish for this contract to end, therefore I am relaying this message to all of you. I apologize for lying or hurting anyone's feelings."

Sehun bowed deeply and put down the microphone. By now, the crowd was in an uproar. Reporters were rushing forward to ask questions. From the stage, I could see everything that was going on below. Everyone looked shocked and angry, even the members from EXO and the members of the other groups from the company. Amongst the crowd, Mr Kim smiled at me apologetically. Across the room, Mr Lee Soo Man looked furious as he shot daggers at Sehun. I was the cause of the chaos happening at the moment. This party was originally supposed to be a pleasant one, but it was ruined by me. I had never felt so guilty before.

Lee Won rushed up the stage and pushed us down. "Hurry, I've already ordered the security to handle the crowd. We need to leave quickly." He pushed us towards the exit. The other EXO members followed suit. I glanced up at Sehun amidst the crowd. He did not pay any attention to me. My heart sank. My head pounded due to the noise.

We eventually made it outside. EXO's van was already parked by the entrance. "I've arranged for someone else to drive you, please be patient. The EXO members have to leave first," Lee Won told me in a rushed tone as he ushered the EXO members onto the van. Of course, they were the company's first priority. In a flash, their vehicle had already drove off, along with Lee Won and Sehun. I did not even have the chance to say goodbye to Sehun. Something told me I would never see him again. It took away all my energy maintain a straight face with the crowd of rowdy reporters behind me.

"Over here, cutie!" A voice called out. I would recognize that obnoxious yet sweet voice anywhere. Yoo Mi waved to me from a bright red sports car across the road.

"Yoo Mi! You drive?" I asked, surprised. "No time for questions, we're on the run here!" She yelled before rolling up the car window. I quickly made my way across the road and opened the car door.

A lovely perfume scent was in the air the moment I settled down in the passenger seat. It was Yoo Mi's signature scent. I heaved a sigh of relieved. everything was happening so fast before, I had absolutely no time to relax.

"Thank you so much, Yoo Mi. Do you need the directions to my home?" I asked. Yoo Mi looked at me as if I was insane.

"Nonsense! You look ridiculous right now. What you need is some cleaning up and I will be the one to do the job! You're coming to my house," she winked.

"But..."

"Or do you want to go to where your pretend partner lives?" She challenged. I remained silent. She was right. I could not afford to see Sehun now. Not like this. Or maybe, I would never see him again.

For the rest of the trip, Yoo Mi went on and on about her latest designs, the latest boy she dumped and the new club in town. I really admired how she did not seem affected by the announcement made just moments ago. Maybe she expected it, or she was just trying to cheer me up. Nevertheless, I was grateful to have someone like her.