Chapter 6

Hope

 

 

“Can’t you try and sit down on the seat?  This is… too weird.”

 

“Well, it’s not like I purposely sitting on the floor like this.  Or would you rather see me standing and half of my upper body went through the car roof?”

 

“Fine…” Park Jung Min finally gave up and continued looking at her sitting on the van’s floor with half of her body in between the seat, next to where Jung Min was sitting.

 

“Are you talking to me, Jung Min ah?” the man sitting in front asked, turning around to look at the only solid person at the back of the van.

 

“No…no…hyung,” denied Jung Min, while glaring at her. 

 

She could see him mouthing ‘All your fault’ in silence before pouting that made her laugh.

 

“You are so cute doing that!  If I could hold an umbrella right now, I surely want to experiment hanging it on that mouth of yours…hahahaha…”

 

“Aissshh…” Jung Min hissed in a whisper, not wanting his manager to hear.  But seeing her continued laughing at him, his facial softened and smiled. 

 

Seeing him smiling at her, Soo Min grinned, controlled her laughter until it died down.

 

“So, is it really okay with you, leaving like this?”

 

Yu Soo Min’s smile faltered.  She looked away from Jung Min and stared at the moving scenery outside of the dark-tinted van.

 

Earlier that day, she was really happy to see Jung Min coming into her room, visiting her as he had promised from the night before.  And it amused her how the nurses kept passing her room just to be able to get a glimpse of her new friend, the idol of SS501.  Jung Min would sit close to her bed and talk to her as if he was whispering to her body, to avoid the unnecessary questions or scandal about him talking alone, being stamp as a nutcase.

 

She was enjoying his company when she saw the man that was walking slowly towards her lying body and spoke to Jung Min, “Who are you?  Are you a friend of my sister?”

 

Park Jung Min gave her a look before making eye contact with the man, her brother.

 

“De…You are her brother?”

 

“She didn’t mention me to you?  I see…she still continue holding a grudge on me…”

 

Before Jung Min could ask more to her brother or for her to listen to her brother, Soo Min left the room.  She practically ran out of the room, going through the living, ignoring the uncomfortable feelings it made her feel because at the moment her brother came in the room, she was already fumed with anger and loath at his presence.  Once she was outside of the hospital, she stopped.  Looking at her surroundings, this was the first time she was out in the open, outside of the five story white-bluish building.

 

She carefully and slowly strode the road, heading towards the small clearing where visitors bring their sick relatives out for fresh air.  She stood there, closing her eyes, trying hard to calm herself.

 

Stop this Soo Min ah…You’ve promised yourself to never feel anything related to him.  He doesn’t even worth those feelings.

 

Seeing an empty bench, she made her way to it, trying to sit on it.  Focusing on the task, taking her mind away from the one that upset her earlier.  She tried repeatedly and probably on the 6th try, she managed to sit on it.  Just briefly because a pair of shoe in front of her suddenly disrupted her mind.  The happy feeling of accomplishment that she could do it went down the drain.  Going through the bench, and sat on the ground, she looked up.  

 

“Why did you run away?”  She knew he would ask her this.

 

“Nothing…”

 

“He’s your brother…”

 

“Hey, did you see it?  I managed to sit on the bench,” she said, putting on a happy face, averting the topic away.

 

He was silent.  She could feel his eyes were on her as she stood and tried again, her head down, refused to look him in the eye.  Probably understanding that she didn’t want to continue with the topic of her brother, he sighed.

 

“I bet you can’t do it again…” he said, a smirk on his face as she gazed up to look at him, startled by his sudden comment.

 

Thank you, Jung Min…thank you for understanding.  I’m not ready to discuss about him.

 

“Yeah?  Just wait and see…” she argued back, accepting the challenge.  She did manage to sit on it and like before, it was brief before she fell down on the dirt beneath the bench.

 

“That doesn’t count as sitting.  This is…,” he said, teasing her as he sat on the bench.

 

She crossed her arms, “With practice, I will be able to do so.”

 

“Then, keep practicing.  I need to get back to my room.  I’m checking out.  So, you better be able to sit on a chair when I come to visit,” Jung Min said as he tilt his head to the side, looking at her.

 

“Hey, why are you looking forward to see me still in this form?  Aren’t you supposed to say that I better being back inside my body?” she said, trying to make Jung Min feeling guilty.

 

And it did.  His expression changed.  Guilty.  “I’m sorry.  Of course I want you to come out of coma and live again.”

 

Seeing him feeling guilty, she had an idea.  Yu Soo Min smiled, “If you are sorry, then you have to do something for me.”

 

“What?”

“Let me follow you.  I want to get out of this hospital.”

“But…I can’t kidnap your body…you need the medical care.”

“Who said anything about my body?….Me, my spirit.  Let me follow you.”

 

Jung Min was shocked hearing to her command.  “But…”

 

“But what?  Other people don’t see me, I practically don’t need to eat or change…so, there’s no harm on your behalf.  Besides, I’d be lonely when you are no longer here.”

“I’ll visit.”

“Everyday?  Do you really want people to say that you are having a special relationship with me?  Aren’t you busy as an idol?”

“Your brother…”

“Who can’t see me…come on, Jung Min-sshi.  I want to get out of this depressing place…please,” she finally pleaded, cutting his sentence, giving him her hopeful reaction, trying hard to make him feel more guilty. 

 

She had to.  She didn’t want to stay here where she will have to see him everyday.  No matter how much she hated him, he had always tried to patch things up with her.  Knowing this, she knew he would be there, by her side, telling her all the unnecessary feelings of his towards her.  She had to go away, plus, it’s true she would be lonely without Jung Min around.  Unnoticed to her, she has grown accustomed to him, to his presence.

 

That was how she ended up in Park Jung Min’s van, after testing out whether she’d be able to ride it or just crossed through it.  Luckily enough, it seemed that in this form, she could stand on solid platform for as long as the platform meant for the feet. 

 

Someone cleared his throat and broke her away from her daydream.  She turned his sight back to Jung Min, propping her legs close to her chest and wrapped her arms around it while placing her head on her knees, tilting her head to the right, towards him.

 

“Are you really okay?  Away from your physical body?”

 

“De…gwaenchana.  So, where do you live?” she asked curiously as they are now probably 4 km away from the hospital.

 

Still whispering, Jung Min answered, “I live in a dorm.  With my other group members, which you will meet later.  Even though they won’t be able to see you, please be careful.  I know you feel discomfort going through people.  They are pretty active, especially the pet turtle.”

 

“Pet turtle?” Confused.  ‘Why would a pet turtle be active?  They are slow animal.

 

He chuckled a little, making the manager to glance back at him, looking confused.  Luckily, Jung Min had his phone in his hand.  He pretended he was reading something funny.  He typed something on the phone before showing it to her.

 

//You’ll meet him.  The turtle… :-D//

 

“I can’t wait,” giggled her when suddenly the van swerved and with her sitting position, she didn’t have enough time to react causing her to lurched to the right, right through Jung Min.

 

“Gwaenchana?” he suddenly spoke out aloud, trying to hold on to her when he suddenly stiffed, ignoring the calling from the manager, probably shock by his sudden burst and action.  And she understood why.  In front of her face…was his…crotch.