Chapter 1

Hope

 

She stood beside the hospital bed, staring at the body laying on it.  She then turned to the side, at the monitoring devices, seeing the graph going up and down, the numbers increasing and decreasing from the number 85 to 110 and hearing the beeping sound that came out from it.

 

“What did you get yourself into?” she asked to the person, not expecting any answer from the unconscious, limp body.

 

Outside of the patient’s room, she saw the doctor was talking to two men in suits.  She walked towards them, planning to listen to what they are talking about, hoping it would be about the patient’s being.

 

“We have taken out the bullet from her abdomen and lung.  She has lost a lot of blood and her left lung was affected by the shot.  It was now working only around 60%.  She’s currently in a coma.  There’s nothing left we could do.  We have tried our best.  Have you tried contacting her family, Lieutenant?” explained the doctor to the man in the left with the mustache.

 

“She only have a brother and he is currently working offshore somewhere in Dubai.  We’re trying to get a hold on him.  Thank you so much Dr.  Can we see her now?”

“Yes, go ahead.  And, I’m sorry.”

 

The two man walked passed her as they entered the room.

 

“I knew taking a geek out into the field is a bad idea…” said the other man beside the one called Lieutenant.

“We needed her at that time, and she was the best with the computer in the department.  How’d we know that the terrorist would have a sniper 10 meters away from the house?”

“You have to do a report on this, right?”

“You do the report.  As the lieutenant, I’m ordering you to write the full report and have it on my desk by tomorrow afternoon, Sergeant Hyun.”

“Yes, sir…it’s a real pity what happened to her.  It was just not her luck…”

“Sergeant Hyun, let’s make it up to her by taking down the terrorist group.  We owe her that much…and tell So Young to make sure she got in touch with her brother, arasso!?”

“Yes, sir!”

“Let’s go.”

 

The two made their way out.  The one called Sergeant Hyun stayed behind for awhile and stared back at the patient and at her who was now standing next to the bed, “She’s a bit weird and unsocialized, but she’s a good person.  I hope she’ll get well soon.”

 

She gave him a nod and turned her sighting back at the body when the Sergeant made his move.

 

“Do you hear that, Yu Soo Min?  You’re unsocialized but a good person.  And oh, he thinks you’re weird.  So, what have you been doing with your life all this while?  Aside from those two cops that you barely knew…do you think anyone would come and visit you?” she asked as she looked at the face covered with an oxygen mask.  A face that she would absolutely recognized and knows so well.  Her face.  She was looking at her own body.

 

“Maybe this is what they mean by experiencing out of the body experience?” she asked herself as she tried to touch her own face and her hands just went through it.

 

So, what should I do now?  Wait here?  I tried getting myself back inside like what I see in movies but I just went through my own body.  Do I need to get myself into the light?  Like what they kept saying a spirit would see?  But I don’t see any…So, what am I supposed to do?  Looking at my pathetic self?