Chapter 14

Hope

 

She walked slowly inside the closed room, glancing over at the sleeping figure on the bed.  Stopping just right in front of his face as he was sleeping on his side, she sat down on the floor, her eyes still on him.  She continued watching him sleep even as her eyes became blur and blurrier due to the salty water welling up in them.  Covering in an effort not to make any sound audible to him, she lowered her head and scooted slowly away from his bed.  But she weren’t fast enough as she heard him, “Soo Min?  You’re back?  What’s wrong?  Why are you crying?”

 

Still with her head down, she shook her head, turning her body and face away from his sight. 

 

“Soo Min?”  His voice was full of concern.  She had no idea why she had to be this emotional in front of him.  She managed to keep them in check a while back but why as she saw his face, she became this emotional?  Why him?  Is it because she was comfortable around him?  She had no idea because right now, rather than thinking the reason why she acted this way, her mind was full of the things that happened tonight.  Her brother and Eun Hyuk.

 

She felt his hands on her shoulders.  That startled her.  She turned around.  Tears still running down her face.  Her face was greeted by his concern and slight, assuring smile.

 

“I took them from hyung.  I figured it was this that made him able to hold you.  So, tell me.  What happened?  After you suddenly vanished, I was worried.  I thought hyung sent you away,” he stared at her, his hands slowly turning her body to face him as he continued on, “I was a bit furious with him.  But he was calm.  He said something about you going to a place you are familiar with.  And it was normal for spirits to shift places as they are not bound to the continuum space like the living do.”

 

She nodded.  It was the same thing Eun Hyuk had told her when she appeared back at the staircase, greeted by him.  He had waited for her there, knowing that she would probably come back.  He waited alone.

 

“I wanted to wait for you but when it was time to go, I have no reason to give to be able to stay behind.  Did he wait for you?  He said he would.”

 

She nodded again.  ‘So, that was why he was not around.

 

“Did he say something to make you this sad?” Jung Min asked as he wiped the tear away from her cheeks.  His hands lingered on her face.  Cupping them lightly.  “What did he told you?”

 

She shook her head, averting his eyes.  ‘The longer you are away from your real body, the further apart the connection is between your body and your spirit.  You have to go back to the hospital.  It will be harder to get back to your body if you didn’t.  Was it because of Jung Min?’  She remembered what Eun Hyuk said to her earlier.  It wasn’t because of Jung Min.  She was just using Jung Min.  It was the person staying behind at the hospital, taking care of her that made her ran away.   And now, she had a decision to make.  To drift away to nothingness and die or faced the person in order to live.  She’s still confused.  Especially after what she heard at her apartment.

 

“Nothing.”  A simple statement.  That was her answer to Jung Min’s questions.

 

“Soo Min ah, look at me.  I know we have just known each other in a short while, I don’t know about you, but, I feel comfortable around you.  I like your company and without knowing, I always see you, your presence.  So, trust in me and I’ll be there for you.” 

 

That was the first time she heard someone said like that to her after such a long time, after she was boycotted by her so-called friends and her distancing herself away from her surroundings.  After what her brother made her gone through.   After what happened to her parents. 

 

Her eyes fixated at his.  She had lost trust in people, so should she start trusting back now?  Though she saw the truth in what he said in his eyes, she realized she’s not ready to tell him anything.  Not yet.  This was her problem, it was hers alone to face.

 

She faked out a cheerful smile, her hands reached out to his hands that were still on her face, slowly pushing it away, “Gwaenchana, Jung Min ah.  I was probably too overwhelmed by what had happened tonight.  But it felt nice to finally able to hold onto something,” she said as she looked down to her hands grabbing to Jung Min’s, covered by the same glove Eun Hyuk wore before.

 

Jung Min adjusted his sitting position, to a kneeling position.  He took hold of Soo Min’s hands, “Soo Min ah…you have no idea how…I have been all along…wanting…”

 

Both of them suddenly turned their heads to the creaked door before Jung Min managed to finish what he was saying.  Seeing whose head it was, he sighed, disappointed by the intrusion.

 

“Park Jung Min, what are you doing on the floor?  Are you having a dream?  Sleep walking?” asked Hyung Jun, walking inside the room towards Jung Min.

 

“Ya!  Who asked you to enter my room?  And why are you not sleeping at this time?” growled Jung Min in a controlled volume.  'Probably the last thing he wanted was having more of his band members coming in,' thought Soo Min as she eyed Jung Min and Hyung Jun.

 

Hyung Jun scratched his head and smiled nervously.  “Do you think I could sleep in your room with you tonight?”

 

“You have your own room, so sleep there.  No, you can’t.”

 

“But…I just had a nightmare…and…”

 

“Hyung Jun ah…Young Saeng is in your room.  You are not alone.  What are you afraid of?  Get out.”

 

“But…but…”

 

“Out!” Jung Min glanced at her apologetically before letting go of her hand and stood.  Pushing Hyung Jun out of his room, closed the door and locked it.  He turned to face her, “Let’s just sleep.  It’s late.  We have to go to the studio tomorrow for the recording of the new album.”

 

She nod and laid down on her side, facing Jung Min’s huge mirror.  Her back facing up Jung Min’s bed.  She was about to close her eyes when she felt a hand on her side waist.  Shocked by it, she turned her sleeping position to the other side.  Confused when she saw Jung Min was lying down on the floor as well, facing her.

 

“Why are you sleeping on the floor?”

 

“Because you’ll go through the bed and I wanted to do this,” as he took her hand and held it tight, settling them in between the two of them.  With a smile on his face, he closed his eyes, ignoring her repelling to the act.