Chapter 13

Hope

 

“Mworago?  You’re not taking her anywhere.  Hyung, what are you trying to do?” Jung Min cried out in shock as he grabbed onto Eun Hyuk’s wrists, giving it some pressure, forcing him to let go of her blouse.

 

Eun Hyuk let her go, his eyes on Jung Min, “You have no idea how to help her.  I have the gift to do so.  She’s coming with me.”

 

“Stop!  The two of you, stop!” she screamed as loud as she could, closing her eyes tight shut and her hands covering her ears.  ‘No…no more.  No more argument.’ 

 

She thought of her room.  Her sanctuary.  Where no one would be around.  Where she could hide from all this tug of war.  She was not a prize to be won.  Enough is enough.  ‘Once was enough…no more…

 

Everything was quite.  No more shouting, no more arguing.  Slowly lowering down her hands, making sure the arguments really stop, she opened her eyes in slow motion.  Her surroundings surprised her.  Everything was pitched black.  She blinked her eyes a few times, adjusting to the change of light.  Her surroundings started to become clearer.  The bed.  The cupboard.  The computer.

 

I’m in my room.  How did I manage to get here?’  Yu Soo Min walked about her apartment in the darkness.  She was sure this was her room but something has changed.  Her bed was neatly tidied.  She remembered leaving them as they were when she got a call to go to the crime scene that early morning.  Her computer has shutdown.  The clothes on the floor where she left them that fateful morning are no longer available.  ‘Someone has been in here.  Who?  Has the landlady rented out my apartment?  But it has only been 9 days.  And I have paid her in advance for next month’s rent.

 

Soo Min walked out of her bedroom to her living room.  The picture of her parents was still hanging on the wall.  So she was sure this place was still hers.  She stood still in front of the picture.  “Omma, appa…” her voice trailed off as she heard the door to the apartment creaked open.  Turning her head towards the door, she was gravely shock to see the one entering was her brother.  Her one and only brother.  The one that she hated and loathed to see.

 

“What are you doing in my apartment? GET OUT!!”

 

Her anger burst in explosion but being as what she was now, her brother walked on and stood a few feet from her, staring straight at the same picture hanging on the wall in the darkness. 

 

“GET OUT!  You don’t deserve to look at them!” 

 

She continued screaming her lungs out at his face but not getting any respond.  That burned the hatred fire more wildly inside of her.  Swinging her clenched up fists as hard as she could, targeting his face, she flopped forward on the floor as her hand past through him.  That eventually made her realized.  Her brother didn’t hear nor see her.  She was nothingness to him now.  As she was those years back.  So, the only think she was able to do was stare and glare and curse.  If by watching could kill, her brother would have been dead by now.

 

“Omma, appa…tell her to come back.”

 

She was shocked.  She didn’t expect that from him.  Asking for forgiveness, probably.  But not this.  Those few words soften her eyes.  In the dark, she pushed herself up and walked nearer to him, for the first time in a long period, facing her brother to his face.  Standing in front of him, she saw clearly the tears on his cheeks.  It stunned her.

 

“Please…tell her to come back.  Omma, appa…tell her… she still…needs to forgive me.  To…free herself from hatred.  I’ve waited so long…I miss her…I miss her calling me oppa.  Don’t take her with you…not yet.”

 

Seeing him like that…she wasn’t ready.  She wasn’t ready to forgive him yet.  Backing away from him, she sat at the corner.  Her head down on her propped up legs, shaking it furiously with her hand on her ears and hums coming out of , wanting to drown down whatever her brother was still professing about to her parent’s picture frame.  She wasn’t ready to let everything go just because of what she just heard.  Everything that he did.  Everything that he made her lost.  Her parents…her friends…her rainbow colored life.  ‘No…he must’ve something inside his sleeves.  He probably regretted that I didn’t name him my insurance’s benefactor.  He must have…he must have…Please take me somewhere else.  Take me away…away…

 

“You’re back…”